Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Elite Fan

Same.

And I think Angelo was more genuine than Regina, but still.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:58 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
I agree with this in a way. Regina (and Daphne) have colder exteriors and I am wondering if this is again, a statement about nature vs nurture. Bay and Regina are related by blood, yet the way they love and their overall demeanor's are quite different. Same with Kathryn and Daphne.
Yes! I agree, Alyssa.

Bay's stance on abortion aligning with Regina's stance, and the same for Daphne and Kathryn, is interesting, but other than that, I find Bay to be much warmer than Daphne or Regina. Bay is more like Kathryn. To me, the writers are saying that nurture is more powerful than nature in who we become.

I want to believe that the writers purposefully select each difference and parallel between the girls and their mothers, but to be honest, it feels mostly haphazard. The abortion discussion is one time that I believe the writers did take the time to consider things.

Can anyone think of other situations where care was taken?

Quote:
I used to think Regina and Angelo and Bay and Emmett were parallels of each other, but, now? Not so much.
Same with me!

During Seasons 1 and 2, I thought huge parallels existed between Regina & Angelo's love and Bay & Emmett's love. Now, not at all.

Something changed Switched at Birth between Seasons 2 and 3. It's as if it became a different show, in so many ways.

Regina & Angelo's love seemed important in Seasons 1 and 2. Then, Season 3 rolled around, and even though Regina had been living with Angelo in Season 2B, their love seemed like a joke in Season 3. All of its importance and weight was gone.

The next thing I remember is the writers killing off Angelo. We saw Regina mourn, but something was missing. I don't know if it was in the writing or in Constance Marie's performance. I tend to think it was the writing that was shallow. Whatever it was, I was left feeling like Angelo never mattered much to Regina. She sure moved on quickly enough with Eric, and she seemed to love him in ways that she would not allow herself to love Angelo (embracing his child, giving her whole heart to him, etc.).

Quote:
Did Angelo and Regina love each other? Yes, but I didn't get the forever vibe with them.

Even if Angelo had lived a long life, it's my feeling that eventually they would have gone their separate ways. Unlike John and Kathryn.
Agreed. I would like the story better if I could still believe that Regina & Angelo DID have this great love and the switch cheated them out of it.

We saw them together in the Christmas episode, which makes me believe that they might have made it work. I love that short video clip Bay watches, with tears in her eyes. And I am still wildly in love with Bay's little brother A.J. Now that Toby has turned out to be somewhat of a dud of a brother to Bay, A.J.'s existence feels even more important to Bay's life.

I did not like the alternate universe presented in Ecce Mono, but I love the one presented in Yuletide Fortune Tellers. That one feels like the universe that was meant to be. At least, in that universe, Regina truly loved Angelo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
I could see Regina and Angelo being forever, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a constant break up and make up sort of thing, like Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera.

I could see Bay and Emmett being that way, too, like Frida and Diego.

But if so, I'd prefer Bay and Emmett never get back together again. I'd rather they both have happiness with other people, than continue to hurt each other over and over again.

Yeah, that's one way to live life, and I don't doubt that love is involved. But I would rather they both have something better.

I don't like the way Regina cut Angelo off, all those years ago. Angelo was a more loving person than Regina, in my opinion.
This post was made before their spring break in Mexico.

I still hope that both Bay and Emmett experience something better than a Frida and Diego kind of love. That kind of love is toxic.

When I think about it, now, Skye is the perfect person for Emmett. I thought Bay was better for him, when I thought more of Emmett. But now that I see Emmett's clay feet, he has chosen the right person for his future. People gravitate to the life they are meant to live.

Bay will find what is right for her future, too.

Quote:
I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but looking back, Regina and Angelo kind of sucked together. I do think they had a genuine love for each other, but I also think it was trumped by dysfunction. Even if the switch hadn't happened, I don't know if they would have lasted.

Then again, it might just be because Regina is a tough cookie. And not in a good way necessarily. I don't know.
Regina & Angelo totally sucked together.

Actually, maybe Regina & Angelo DO have more in common with Bay & Emmett than I realized. Bay & Emmett suck together, too.

Bay's love for Emmett seems more sincere than Regina's love for Angelo. But Emmett's love for Bay doesn't feel real anymore. I'm not sure how much Angelo loved Regina either. If Angelo had truly cared about Regina, would he have walked away from her that easily when Daphne got sick?

I'm beginning to think that the only character who knows how to love is Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneH (View Post)
yeah. you knew they still had a connection but i didn't think their journey was all that great. half the time i didn't even know if they were actually a real couple.
That's the truth!

I remember trying to figure out whether Angelo & Regina were a couple, when he impregnated Lana. And were they a couple when Regina moved in with Angelo following her stint in rehab? I couldn't tell for sure.

I'm not even sure if they were a couple when he moved into the guest house at Daphne's request. Yes, they were sleeping together, but Regina seemed more interested in Wes than she did in her "fake" husband.

I never knew what Regina & Angelo's status was. Their whole relationship was bizarre.

Quote:
Same.

And I think Angelo was more genuine than Regina, but still.
Yep, just like Bay is more genuine than Emmett.

That's what killed my faith in Emmett, as a character. It's not that Emmett cheated or that he abandoned Bay, although both of those things are horrible.

My belief in his character is destroyed by Emmett appearing to be so insincere now, in every scene. Even when I go back and watch the scenes from Season 1A, where I thought Emmett was the most sincere young man, all I can see now is a con artist.

It's an awful paradigm shift that I've experienced. It ruins the entire show for me. In my eyes, Switched at Birth has transformed from a beautiful love story into a sick, twisted show about the dishonesty of people.

At least when Tony Soprano was murdering up and down the streets of New Jersey, I could sense his sincerity.

Emmett, Daphne, and Regina are all lacking that. Bay's life would have been so much better, if she had never pursued looking into the results from that blood test from school.

The people brought into her world by the discovery of the switch are despicable.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:12 PM
Master Fan

Is there anything about Regina and Angelo's past relationship that anyone would still like to see explored?