Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AnastasiaGrey~ (View Post)
I agree I would like some redemption from her
Me, too.

I really miss Emmett's relationship with Daphne.

I first found Switched at Birth, just a few weeks before the premiere of "This Is the Color of My Dreams," when Daphne gives Bay the treasure map leading to Emmett's timeline. At that point, I never imagined that Emmett would not have another big role in the TV series.

I remember thinking, "Oh, Emmett will have a big role again in a couple of episodes." And then, when I realized that wasn't happening, I thought, "Oh, Emmett will have a big role in Season 2. I just need to wait for it." And then, when it didn't happen, I thought, "Oh, Emmett will be back strong again in Season 3. We just needed to get through Ty's return." And then, of course, it didn't happen, and in Season 4, the writers moved Emmett to LA, and he was only in a few episodes, and I realized, "That's it. Emmett's never going to be a big character again in this show. It's over for Emmett."

Out of 103 episodes, until the very end, it did not dawn on me that Emmett would never again be a focus. If I had known that, I don't think I would have watched anymore Switched at Birth after Episode 22. The Bledsoes are what felt authentic to me about the TV series. I don't connect much with Regina Vasquez's character, or even John and Kathryn. They were all three likable when they interacted with the Bledsoes, but I wasn't interested in following their family stories.

I would never have become attached to Switched at Birth without the Deaf element, and I'm always forgetting that Daphne's character is Deaf. She doesn't seem like a Deaf character, in the ways that Emmett, Melody, Cameron, Travis, Matthew, and Natalie do.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree this show I enjoyed on a whole different level Z
Old 08-09-2016, 03:35 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I agree this show I enjoyed on a whole different level Z
What would you most like to see for Daphne and Emmett's friendship in Season 5?
Old 08-16-2016, 06:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Not so good actually
Old 08-17-2016, 03:03 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Not so good actually
So you want Daphne to be mad at Emmett for breaking up with Bay?

Or do you want Emmett to be mad at Daphne for allowing Bay to take the fall for her?

I'm confused.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
So you want Daphne to be mad at Emmett for breaking up with Bay? Or do you want Emmett to be mad at Daphne for allowing Bay to take the fall for her? I'm confused.

Well I think their friendship is just so off now that I am not sure it can be fixed
Old 08-18-2016, 05:28 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Well I think their friendship is just so off now that I am not sure it can be fixed
You are so right, but here's the weird thing. I think the writers are going to pretend like none of it ever happened. That scene where Emmett apologizes to Daphne, in the episode with all of the characters on spring break in Mexico, tells me that the writers are going to gloss over all of Emmett and Daphne's problems.

My guess is that Emmett and Daphne will be best buds in Season 5, as if none of the things that have gone on between them over the years ever existed.

I do want Daphne & Emmett to be friends again, but I want to see them work through their difficulties.

It's not satisfying for the writers to create these horrible, gut-wrenching situations, and then, to pretend like they never happened.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah you do make some good points
Old 01-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 01-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

What situations do you think still need mending Amy?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think Emmett lost trust in Daphne after she got arrested
Old 01-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl under the floor (View Post)
What situations do you think still need mending Amy?
I believe Emmett felt abandoned by Daphne, when she moved more into the hearing world, with the discovery of the switch. And I believe that Daphne truly felt abandoned by Emmett, when he embarked on a romantic relationship with Bay in Season 1A.

Daphne seemed to come to terms with it during Season 1B, when she told Bay to go on that last motorcycle ride with Emmett, the night before he sold Ripley. But then, I felt Daphne made another play for a romance with Emmett, after he cheated on Bay. Emmett ignored it, and Daphne pretended it didn't exist, but I saw it.

Then, Daphne spun completely out of control with both Chef Jeff and Jace (and later, Nacho), and Emmett wasn't there to protect her, in the ways that he had been throughout their childhood. It wasn't that Emmett was with Bay during that time period either. It's just his friendship with Daphne had been fractured.

I still remember Emmett's words to Daphne (in reference to Liam and what had been going on in their friendship) in Episode 4 "Dance Amongst Daggers."
Emmett said to Daphne, "I know him plenty. He doesn't know you."

Daphne responded, "Because he's not deaf? I'm not like you Emmett. I don't think it's impossible for deaf and hearing people to be together."

And Emmett said, "Yes, you are. You're exactly like me. You're trying to be like them. But you will never be like them. Since when did you get so desperate to fit in with these people?"

And Daphne responded, "My parents are these people. And I'm sorry if it upsets you, but I like Liam."

Emmett ended the conversation by saying, "Fine. But don't call me next time you want to be rescued."

Of course, Daphne did call Emmett a few episodes later, when Liam let her down, and Emmett was right there, ready to rescue her. Emmett even put rescuing Daphne ahead of spending more time with Bay in his bedroom, looking at art together.

But there came a day when Emmett began putting Bay ahead of Daphne, and I saw evidence of how much that hurt Daphne. Then, of course, Emmett blew everything by cheating on Bay, and Daphne was there to support him as a friend, but they weren't as close as they had been, when we met their characters. The damage had been done.

Emmett advised Daphne somewhat, during her fiasco with Chef Jeff and again during her relationship with Jace. Daphne was there for Emmett a bit, during his heartache over losing Bay, but Daphne mostly ignored Emmett, during the uprising, and again when Emmett's father was getting a Cochlear implant.

Daphne and Emmett's friendship has been strained, from the moment the two of them became more involved in the hearing world. And I believe Emmett was hurt, yet again, by Daphne, when she chose to support Bay, with this most recent breakup between them. It's not that Emmett doesn't want Daphne to be a good sister to Bay. I am sure that he does, but I don't think that he believed Daphne would choose Bay over him.

Couple that with Daphne using Bay to take the fall for her crimes, despite knowing how much it would hurt Emmett, and to me, Daphne's stance in choosing Bay's side over Emmett's with this latest breakup is really the final nail in the coffin of their friendship. It will never be what it once was. I know Emmett gave Daphne a t-shirt in Mexico, and she accepted it, but they have both moved on from each other. Their friendship served its purpose for a short time, when Daphne was becoming acclimated to her deafness as a child, and now, Daphne has moved on from Emmett.

In the beginning, Daphne had been afraid that Emmett had chosen a relationship with Bay over his friendship with her, but as it turned out, it was Daphne who chose Bay over her friendship with Emmett.

I don't think there is really any way to mend Daphne and Emmett's friendship. It's something they can both remember fondly from their childhood, but Daphne's loyalties are with Bay now.

It's one of those switches that Lizzy Weiss is so proud to declare on Twitter. I just hope she doesn't have Emmett and Daphne acting as though they are still each other's best friend, because they aren't.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
I believe Emmett felt abandoned by Daphne, when she moved more into the hearing world, with the discovery of the switch. And I believe that Daphne truly felt abandoned by Emmett, when he embarked on a romantic relationship with Bay in Season 1A.

Daphne seemed to come to terms with it during Season 1B, when she told Bay to go on that last motorcycle ride with Emmett, the night before he sold Ripley. But then, I felt Daphne made another play for a romance with Emmett, after he cheated on Bay. Emmett ignored it, and Daphne pretended it didn't exist, but I saw it.

Then, Daphne spun completely out of control with both Chef Jeff and Jace (and later, Nacho), and Emmett wasn't there to protect her, in the ways that he had been throughout their childhood. It wasn't that Emmett was with Bay during that time period either. It's just his friendship with Daphne had been fractured.

I still remember Emmett's words to Daphne (in reference to Liam and what had been going on in their friendship) in Episode 4 "Dance Amongst Daggers."
Emmett said to Daphne, "I know him plenty. He doesn't know you."

Daphne responded, "Because he's not deaf? I'm not like you Emmett. I don't think it's impossible for deaf and hearing people to be together."

And Emmett said, "Yes, you are. You're exactly like me. You're trying to be like them. But you will never be like them. Since when did you get so desperate to fit in with these people?"

And Daphne responded, "My parents are these people. And I'm sorry if it upsets you, but I like Liam."

Emmett ended the conversation by saying, "Fine. But don't call me next time you want to be rescued."

Of course, Daphne did call Emmett a few episodes later, when Liam let her down, and Emmett was right there, ready to rescue her. Emmett even put rescuing Daphne ahead of spending more time with Bay in his bedroom, looking at art together.

But there came a day when Emmett began putting Bay ahead of Daphne, and I saw evidence of how much that hurt Daphne. Then, of course, Emmett blew everything by cheating on Bay, and Daphne was there to support him as a friend, but they weren't as close as they had been, when we met their characters. The damage had been done.

Emmett advised Daphne somewhat, during her fiasco with Chef Jeff and again during her relationship with Jace. Daphne was there for Emmett a bit, during his heartache over losing Bay, but Daphne mostly ignored Emmett, during the uprising, and again when Emmett's father was getting a Cochlear implant.

Daphne and Emmett's friendship has been strained, from the moment the two of them became more involved in the hearing world. And I believe Emmett was hurt, yet again, by Daphne, when she chose to support Bay, with this most recent breakup between them. It's not that Emmett doesn't want Daphne to be a good sister to Bay. I am sure that he does, but I don't think that he believed Daphne would choose Bay over him.

Couple that with Daphne using Bay to take the fall for her crimes, despite knowing how much it would hurt Emmett, and to me, Daphne's stance in choosing Bay's side over Emmett's with this latest breakup is really the final nail in the coffin of their friendship. It will never be what it once was. I know Emmett gave Daphne a t-shirt in Mexico, and she accepted it, but they have both moved on from each other. Their friendship served its purpose for a short time, when Daphne was becoming acclimated to her deafness as a child, and now, Daphne has moved on from Emmett.

In the beginning, Daphne had been afraid that Emmett had chosen a relationship with Bay over his friendship with her, but as it turned out, it was Daphne who chose Bay over her friendship with Emmett.

I don't think there is really any way to mend Daphne and Emmett's friendship. It's something they can both remember fondly from their childhood, but Daphne's loyalties are with Bay now.

It's one of those switches that Lizzy Weiss is so proud to declare on Twitter. I just hope she doesn't have Emmett and Daphne acting as though they are still each other's best friend, because they aren't.
Yeah so True amy
Old 01-12-2017, 02:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I love all of you wrote, Amy, but I really agree with this

You know that I love your long and well thought out posts right? I wish I could return but most of the time all your writing I'm going like: "oh yes, I forgot that happened.' 'ah, that happened too'
I'm impressed with your knowledge of this show
Old 01-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl under the floor (View Post)
I love all of you wrote, Amy, but I really agree with this

You know that I love your long and well thought out posts right? I wish I could return but most of the time all your writing I'm going like: "oh yes, I forgot that happened.' 'ah, that happened too'
I'm impressed with your knowledge of this show
Yeah Amy writes what we think and that is pretty impressive lol