Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-12-2016, 10:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
It's so frustrating to have such a wide variety of things I wanted to see with Emmett's character, and none of them ever came to fruition.
Yeah. A lot wasted
Old 06-15-2016, 03:14 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AnastasiaGrey~ (View Post)
Yeah. A lot wasted
Yeah, I know that one thing hurts me more than anything else about this show.

I wanted to see Emmett's character more, and the writers denied viewers that from Episode 22 all the way until now.

I really missed the exploration of Daphne and Emmett's friendship. It felt like a cornerstone of the entire series.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

I wanted to see him struggle more in la but that didn't happened.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:38 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I wanted to see him struggle more in la but that didn't happened.
Me, too. I like Emmett's story in LA better than I like Bay and Daphne's story in Kansas City.

I feel like the American TV audience would embrace a show with a Deaf protagonist.

I wish the actor who plays Daphne (Katie Leclerc) had experienced life as a Deaf person. She only found out she has Meniere's disease, as an adult. She didn't grow up Deaf. It's not as compelling to watch her performance as it is to watch any of the actors who are Deaf. It doesn't feel like the character of Daphne conveys the Deaf experience as honestly as the characters who are played by actors who actually are Deaf.

I would rather see a show about Emmett, Matthew, Garrett, Natalie, or even Travis (despite my dislike for his character at the moment), than I would about any of the hearing characters.

Shows about hearing characters are a dime a dozen. They are everywhere.

Emmett's story, especially in LA, is as fascinating as all get-out. It's way more interesting than Daphne's struggle to become a doctor in Kansas City. I really don't care about Daphne's story. It doesn't feel honest to me, at all.

I do like Daphne and Emmett's friendship. I can envision an episode where Daphne goes to LA to visit Emmett and share everything that's been happening back home in KC. That would be fun to watch. Emmett could introduce Daphne to the LA lifestyle. That'd be interesting, too. But watching Daphne in college and med school? I'm not fascinated by that world.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Just chalk it up to wasted potential
Old 06-21-2016, 12:50 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Just chalk it up to wasted potential
Do you remember the Deaf rap during the episode Uprising?

I love that moment. I more than love it. I adore it.

Everything about that moment resonated with me. It had Daphne and Emmett's deep friendship and pledge of loyalty to each other. It had the solidarity of all of the Deaf characters. It had ASL, in rap form, no less.

And even though Bay wasn't there, she permeated the scene. I knew Bay was on Emmett's mind, even if he did not speak of her.

Those moments on the series were so good. I hate that the history was forgotten in later seasons.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

And the rest they half asses most of it
Old 06-24-2016, 12:21 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
And the rest they half asses most of it
Losing Daphne and Emmett's friendship as a focus (and Bay and Toby's friendship as a focus) hurt the story. Those two relationships were important. They play into how the two girls see each other.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
Losing Daphne and Emmett's friendship as a focus (and Bay and Toby's friendship as a focus) hurt the story. Those two relationships were important. They play into how the two girls see each other.
It really did
Old 06-26-2016, 06:19 AM
Master Fan

It surprises me how quickly the writers dropped Bay's insecurity over Daphne and Emmett's relationship. For depth, I would have thought the writers would explore than more, over multiple seasons.

Instead, the writers turned the tables, and made Emmett the odd-man out over Bay and Daphne's relationship. Bay became Daphne's rescuer instead of Emmett.

Emmett put Bay first, ahead of Daphne, despite their 10+ years of friendship.

And Bay took this stranger, Daphne, and made her a sister who she put first, ahead of her sexual partner.

The only way I can process that is to tell myself that Bay never truly forgave Emmett for sleeping with Simone. I don't think Bay would have put Daphne first, otherwise.

I believe that Bay no longer trusted Emmett enough to put him first again, and that is why Bay was putting everyone ahead of Emmett, during their second relationship. I can't really think of a single time that Bay put Emmett first, after they reunited. And I can think of many people that Bay put ahead of Emmett, during their second relationship.

Emmett sacrificed his friendship with Daphne to be with Bay, but it wasn't enough after his mistake with Simone. I don't think anything would have been enough for Bay, after that.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

They just got lazy
Old 06-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Part-Time Fan

I do wish they'd go back to some of the stories they did in first half, not for Daphne and Emmett to date but for Bay to have that insecurity.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailpolishchick2 (View Post)
I do wish they'd go back to some of the stories they did in first half, not for Daphne and Emmett to date but for Bay to have that insecurity.
I know that would of been good to see
Old 08-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailpolishchick2 (View Post)
I agree, Sadie. That would be good to see, and it's realistic, too. Stuff like that never goes away. Why do the Switched at Birth writers pretend that it does? Some things actually are constant in life. It's like that old saying, "The more things change, the more they stay the same." And it's true. I want to see some of that on Switched at Birth, because it adds a depth and a richness to the story, one that cannot be replicated any other way.

Last season, during spring break in Mexico, we saw Emmett reach out to Daphne, to smooth over things, after his harsh words months earlier, when Daphne first allowed Bay to take the fall for her. Emmett also apologized to Daphne, for hurting Bay, with the breakup.

I don't think Emmett owed Daphne an apology for either of those two things, and I would prefer not to have seen Emmett give an apology to Daphne. But I can accept it, if that's what the writers want to do for their friendship.

But I'd still like a moment between Emmett and Daphne, where he says that her selfishness hurt him. I don't want it to be an angry moment. Rather, I want it to be an honest moment between two friends. Or if the writers would prefer, they could even flip that idea, and Daphne could approach Emmett instead and apologize for hurting him with her selfishness.

I know Emmett yelled at Daphne about it, when it first happened. She knows he was upset with her then. But that was all about Emmett's anger. I want to make sure Daphne knows how much she hurt Emmett, too.

I want Daphne to admit to herself (and to her oldest friend) that she was a real jerk.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree I would like some redemption from her