Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Master Fan

The only real negative comments I have to say is I wish the Frozen bits had more of a "once" feel. Every Fairytale had differences from their original content except Frozen seemed more like Well the Frozen movie. I don't understand. Didn't they change anything?

Also...

Did the episode seem a little slow to you guys or was that just me?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Absolute Fan

^ The introduction of Frozen into the Once-verse was deliberately designed to be different than what's happened with the other Fairytales that the writers have used as inspiration. However, I will say that if you want explicit references to the original Hans Christian Anderson Snow Queen fairytale, all you need to do is be patient.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
Old 09-29-2014, 11:26 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
Rumpel has possessed the potential for evil long before he became the so-called "Dark One". His first interaction with the Blind Seer in "Manhattan" made me realize this.
You mean the one who lied and tricked him? How does any of that make him evil or potentially evil!

Ron, I love your review and t'lynn I enjoyed yours but I think Rumple does have a case of ptsd. I think Belle has one too and it is finally coming out at least last season it did. It might not be flashbacks but it can be moodiness and a need for security. Yes Rumple said he was avenging Bae's death but I think something more was going on there. I liked your comments on the other couples. I tend to ignore captain swan since I despise them as a couple, but I was thinking her guilt was over Neal but no captain swan fan will agree with me there so we'll agree to disagree.

Last edited by Grace52373; 09-29-2014 at 11:44 AM
Old 09-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter (View Post)
^ The introduction of Frozen into the Once-verse was deliberately designed to be different than what's happened with the other Fairytales that the writers have used as inspiration. However, I will say that if you want explicit references to the original Hans Christian Anderson Snow Queen fairytale, all you need to do is be patient.
Oh I didn't want it to be the like original. I just wanted it be more "once-ish" I suppose.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
Rumpel has possessed the potential for evil long before he became the so-called "Dark One". His first interaction with the Blind Seer in "Manhattan" made me realize this.
I ahve to disagree with this. Rumple the man , the spinner was obviously a good man. He loved his family , was willing to go to war, the seer he interacted with indulged his fear of leaving his son fatherless. His actions weren't evil because they did not contain evil intent.

Your intent actually has to be evil for your action to be evil. His intention was to be the loving father to his son that Malcolm wasn't to him.

And a man that is poor and willing to aid a beggar is not evil either.

We know that his darkness started the moment he was desperate enough to become the Dark One.

and everyone possesses the potenial. Snow does, Hook, regina, everyone. But you have to act evil and malicious for any potential to be considered. Snow hasn't. Rumple didn't until he became the DO.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
@T'Lynn: Nice review. One point I'd like to address from it is this:
I'm pretty sure that Rumple will be putting the true Dagger back in Belle's bag after using it to summon the Sorcerer's Apprentice hat, because there was nothing in his behavior to indicate otherwise.
Thanks! I think you are right, there is no indication that he wouldn't return it but does returning it really have any meaning since we know he'll just take it back anytime he wants to?

Quote:
I ahve to disagree with this. Rumple the man , the spinner was obviously a good man. He loved his family , was willing to go to war, the seer he interacted with indulged his fear of leaving his son fatherless. His actions weren't evil because they did not contain evil intent.

Your intent actually has to be evil for your action to be evil. His intention was to be the loving father to his son that Malcolm wasn't to him.

And a man that is poor and willing to aid a beggar is not evil either.

We know that his darkness started the moment he was desperate enough to become the Dark One.

and everyone possesses the potenial. Snow does, Hook, regina, everyone. But you have to act evil and malicious for any potential to be considered. Snow hasn't. Rumple didn't until he became the DO.
I agree. His actions were desperate and perhaps cowardly but not evil. He didn't act evil until he became the Dark One and then he kind of let that take over his whole self. The only thing rooting him to humanity was Bae and then the idea of finding Bae. He resisted his relationship with Belle because he was not used to feeling human for anything but his son.

I think that lack of confidence in himself is what makes him such easy prey for the magic addiction. Obviously there is something more to this hat (although it is quite stylish and we knew Rumple loves a snazzy accessory)
Old 09-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Lynn (View Post)
Thanks! I think you are right, there is no indication that he wouldn't return it but does returning it really have any meaning since we know he'll just take it back anytime he wants to?

I agree. His actions were desperate and perhaps cowardly but not evil. He didn't act evil until he became the Dark One and then he kind of let that take over his whole self. The only thing rooting him to humanity was Bae and then the idea of finding Bae. He resisted his relationship with Belle because he was not used to feeling human for anything but his son.

I think that lack of confidence in himself is what makes him such easy prey for the magic addiction. Obviously there is something more to this hat (although it is quite stylish and we knew Rumple loves a snazzy accessory)
It's not even that I mind the addiction storyline. even his being caged and controlled doesn't have to be a story line. He's lived for such a long time he's probably seen everything.

But being resurrected.. I dont know. Maybe it's the Buffy fan in me, but I really had hoped they examine that since he's the first person to be brought back and not in zombie form .
I know you dont agree, but I just think it would add more to his story, to me the magic addiction /power addiction is weak. But I also had hoped for more meat to other storylines too that felt weak to me. Like Hook's story of becoming a pirate, so I guess if that makes sense to the majority, Rumple's addiction (which if you read about addiction he's doign everything just ike an addict) he woudln't be himself anymore because the addiction has taken over.

I still don't think he's actions as cowardly either. You know I really wish A/E woudl stop using that. His even going on a pirate ship as a crippled man who was frightened but bravely asked for his wife was not an act of cowardice.
Cowardice is a failing, but true cowardice is, not the way it gets thorwn around on the show.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonwen (View Post)
It's not even that I mind the addiction storyline. even his being caged and controlled doesn't have to be a story line. He's lived for such a long time he's probably seen everything.

But being resurrected.. I dont know. Maybe it's the Buffy fan in me, but I really had hoped they examine that since he's the first person to be brought back and not in zombie form .
I know you dont agree, but I just think it would add more to his story, to me the magic addiction /power addiction is weak. But I also had hopped for more meat to other storylines too that felt weak to me. Like Hook's story of becoming a pirate, so I guess if that makes sense to the majority, Rumple's addiction (which if you read about addiction he's doign everything just ike an addict) he woudln't be himself anymore because the addiction has taken over.
Maybe the resurrection will still be addressed? I was also a big fan of Buffy and her resurrection was so tough because she was in heaven ... is it possible that Rumple was in hell ... or running it?

I think maybe "identity crisis" is more the theme of the season. Rumple isn't himself because he can't stop the addiction. What he should have done was talk to Belle about the object he found and ask her to help him but he does it alone instead.

Cue the suspenseful music!
Old 09-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Maybe the resurrection will still be addressed? I was also a big fan of Buffy and her resurrection was so tough because she was in heaven ... is it possible that Rumple was in hell ... or running it?

I think maybe "identity crisis" is more the theme of the season. Rumple isn't himself because he can't stop the addiction. What he should have done was talk to Belle about the object he found and ask her to help him but he does it alone instead.

Cue the suspenseful music!
he's running it you know that.. a green and glittery and in leather

well an addict is going to try and hide their problem and not ask for help.

what I really want for episode 2 is more main cast story developement

and at least it appear that Elsa didn't know who Rumple was, and only saw the necklace. so she must feel that he interacted with Anna. So maybe he didn't place her in the vase that was in his vault
Old 09-29-2014, 12:25 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
we know he'll just take it back anytime he wants to?
We DON'T know that, though.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

He already did once within hours of returning it.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
He already did once within hours of returning it.
For a very specific reason.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm just saying that's the reason today. Anytime he has another reason we know he has the option to just switch it again.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Absolute Fan

^ Having the option and actually utilizing it are two very different things, and it's wrong to assume that he'll keep 'sneaking' the real dagger in the future just because he's done it once. It's also very much unfair to Rumple and the kind of person he is.

Yes, he's flawed, but he's by no means as flawed as the writers' comments often try to paint him as being, nor is he as flawed as the fandom seems to think he is.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
^ Having the option and actually utilizing it are two very different things, and it's wrong to assume that he'll keep 'sneaking' the real dagger in the future just because he's done it once. It's also very much unfair to Rumple and the kind of person he is.

Yes, he's flawed, but he's by no means as flawed as the writers' comments often try to paint him as being, nor is he as flawed as the fandom seems to think he is.
I'm saying how I see it and you are saying how you see it. I'm not stating my opinion is a fact. It's cool that we have different opinions. I'm not saying Rumple is going to want steak for dinner and Belle says she wants pasta and he's gonna switch the dagger every other minute but I think it's possible we might not have seen the end of switching daggers to suit Rumple's wants, especially when it comes to magic.