Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014, 12:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_chick (View Post)
I mention Hook's pining mainly because they showed him pining again in the last scene where he watches Emma through the window. The writers have shown a variation of that scene too many times, I think. .
I thought it showed a man conflicted between two untenable positions. Once cursed, he immediately went to the loft to most likely discuss it with the David/MM, but found Emma instead and realized the her magical abilities are indeed greater than anyone initially thought.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Not my understanding that Zelena wasn't powerful enough, but that she couldn't (meaning allowed to). First because it will break the curse (if S1 rules still apply) if Emma dies. Secondly, by restoring FTC memories they would immediately know Zelena's plan. Third, it may be part of a deal to whomever cast the curse.
This makes the most sense. Almost too much sense. Also, I can’t figure out why Emma would still be the curse breaker. Wasn’t the curse Regina used destroyed when she undid it? If so, wouldn’t Rumple have to create the curse again and this time he would have used up the rest of Snowing’s TL potion so Emma couldn’t be the cursebreaker?

Maybe Regina’s curse wasn’t destroyed. I mean, it really would explain why Zelena (or Rumple despite her threat) can’t kill Emma. No matter how powerful, Emma isn’t immortal. Zelena’s first choice was to keep her NY. Second choice seems to be making her powerless.

Quote:
I don't think pining has anything to do with that last scene. Hook is conflicted He's been faced with a very difficult decision to make, and either one could lead to the deaths of Emma's family. So he's screwed either way. He either betrays Emma by taking her powers, or he does nothing and waits for Zelena to make good on her threat.
It was still a typical shot of Hook watching Emma. I found it a bit weird, although not as bad as I expected from the promo. But watching Emma through the window? Not exactly cool. He could have gone in (the only thing he can’t do is kiss her.) I get that he probably wanted to be alone to sort through his thoughts, but watching Emma through a spyglass? Eh. Not a huge deal but eh.

Quote:
I read an article once that said how people responded to Mrs. Weasley in the Harry Potter books and movies varied a lot depending on whether people said they had known someone like her. People who hadn't took her as mostly comedy relief. People who had had more complex reactions.
This has nothing to do with OUAT, but you got me too curious to not ask. If people know someone like Mrs Weasley in real life, do they like the character more or less?
Old 04-15-2014, 04:47 AM
Master Fan

It does add a certain stalkerish vibe to Hook, spying on Emma and the family from afar. I guess the writers are trying to amp up some sort of sympathy for Hook, and therefore Captain Swan. It's not working.

Mostly because the cow eyes he's shooting at Emma isn't something new. Or interesting. More like rinse, repeat, still no one cares? Try again.

I think people are letting Emma, And Regina, fall into the Sam and Dean rolls of Once. In which the writers throw characters at them but the fans hate it and the storyline drops.

Hook, tell someone about your magic herpes. It's just dump not to tell two of the most powerful magic users around that Wicked cursed your lips. Of course, the whole concept is dumb but still.

): )
Old 04-15-2014, 04:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
I don't think pining has anything to do with that last scene. Hook is conflicted He's been faced with a very difficult decision to make, and either one could lead to the deaths of Emma's family. So he's screwed either way. He either betrays Emma by taking her powers, or he does nothing and waits for Zelena to make good on her threat.

Perhaps his first priority should be helping them get the dagger so Zelena can't use Rumple anymore to kill them.
I agree with this. I think he was conflicted and wanted to be alone. I think he was looking that he sort can't be a part of. It's hard to be a Hook fan when he's good people think he's OOc when he's bad people hate him

Last edited by fox24; 04-15-2014 at 04:59 AM
Old 04-15-2014, 05:45 AM
Extreme Fan

Sorry...I'll choose not to comment.

"I don't intend to let you down." - Hook

Last edited by sasijaha; 04-15-2014 at 06:16 AM
Old 04-15-2014, 07:15 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
I agree with this. I think he was conflicted and wanted to be alone. I think he was looking that he sort can't be a part of. It's hard to be a Hook fan when he's good people think he's OOc when he's bad people hate him
Exactly. He is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.

Hoping someone with intelligence realizes they need to get the dagger back from Zelena. It would actually be an interesting twist if Hook was the one to get it since Rumple was his nemesis, lol.

I think Hooks infatuation with Emma has been obvious since the get go. If this was the real world I think a friend would tell him to get over her and move on. But the nice part is we know Emma is strong and capable and she can certainly take care of herself so Hook is no threat. Whether he behaves like a stalker or not that is on him. But like many in here I saw it as more of a conflict inside him. He doesn't want to care but he does and now he's responsible for either the wellbeing of Emma's entire family or for keeping everyone in town under the curse forever. Its not a pleasant situation to be in and is plenty angsty. I kind of like the idea that Hook wants to turn a new leaf, but is being held back, and the thing Emma admires him for is something he didn't do which is very ironic. One thing I respect is that Hook wants to earn her love. He could just as easily taken the credit for re-uniting Ariel and Erik and benefited from it by joining the Charming's for dinner, but he didn't. You cant hate the man for wanting the real-deal even if it seems impossible at the moment.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Elite Fan

Bright side, Zelena can't exactly do anything to Hook. He's her trump card. She needs him alive to kiss Emma so she loses her magic.

So Hook can do anything he wants and she can't touch him.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel Leigh (View Post)

This has nothing to do with OUAT, but you got me too curious to not ask. If people know someone like Mrs Weasley in real life, do they like the character more or less?
As I recall (it's been a while since I read it) people who felt they'd known a "real" Molly liked her less.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Molly was loving but sometimes a bit overbearing
Old 04-15-2014, 09:13 AM
Elite Fan

"not my daughter you bitch!"
Old 04-15-2014, 09:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Lol loved that quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
I thought it showed a man conflicted between two untenable positions. Once cursed, he immediately went to the loft to most likely discuss it with the David/MM, but found Emma instead and realized the her magical abilities are indeed greater than anyone initially thought.
I wouldn't disagree. But ultimately, I think it was a scene meant to garner sympathy for Hook... to show how much he loves Emma yet can't have her, at least the way he wants. Hence, pining.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Not my understanding that Zelena wasn't powerful enough, but that she couldn't (meaning allowed to). First because it will break the curse (if S1 rules still apply) if Emma dies. Secondly, by restoring FTC memories they would immediately know Zelena's plan. Third, it may be part of a deal to whomever cast the curse.

Why would Emma be "the savior" of this second curse?

And what evidence do we have that Emma's magic is more powerful than anyone, save for Rumpelstiltskin? And why is it necessary for her to be more powerful? Also, Kitsis and Horowitz have forgotten something . . . everyone has a vulnerability and even the most powerful can be destroyed.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasijaha (View Post)
Sorry...I'll choose not to comment.
glad you changed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by violasghost (View Post)
Out of nowhere? They have had three seasons of sparring, flirtations, and time to build up. :/
at least for me. I dont remember hook in s1. s2 he was showed just as a guy who wants some dirty dancing with emma. and suddenly this season they are true love lool but I do recognize they are trying to make him more "human" (for lack of better words in english)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
I will never understand why Rumple and Regina get a free pass for everything they've done, while Hook is still compared to the devil.
not the devil. maybe is a charisma thing/problem
Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
It does add a certain stalkerish vibe to Hook, spying on Emma and the family from afar. I guess the writers are trying to amp up some sort of sympathy for Hook, and therefore Captain Swan.

It did have that vibe, although I don’t actually consider it stalking in context (public venue where he was invited). I think it was a choice of direction, being that we can’t know characters’ internal thoughts. Having a visual shows what can’t be heard.

Not that it was actually needed in this case. I think we could figure out what Hook was thinking even if he was just walking no where near Emma. And they definitely could have just shown Hook walk by the diner and pause before walking on. That would have been less stalker vibe. But the spyglass if a very Hook thing to do. I mean, he used it in Gold’s shop when everything was just 4 feet away.

I have sympathy for Hook. Not from that scene but in general.

Quote:
at least for me. I dont remember hook in s1. s2 he was showed just as a guy who wants some dirty dancing with emma. and suddenly this season they are true love lool but I do recognize they are trying to make him more "human" (for lack of better words in english)
I think the original poster might have been considering seasons 3a and 3b as separate seasons (and from a structure standpoint, they are very separate arcs).

In season 2, it laid the groundwork showing that Hook and Emma had a connection. They understood each other almost immediately (which is what Tallahassee was about). Neither were in a place for a relationship or open to love (Hook in particular was still set on revenge), but no where did the show seem to imply that they couldn't be more if given a chance.

In Season 3A, it showed Hook falling in love with Emma.

In season 3B, I believe it will show Emma falling in love with Hook.

In any case, this is not out of no where. Out of no where is Ariel and Eric sharing one look and then both declare themselves true love. Yes, they are minor characters, but still, the only real reason it is accepted like that is because we know their disney counterparts. 

Plenty of people saw Emma and Hook’s connection from the first time they met, and whenever you want to say their relationship first started as something more serious than Hook flirting, there has still been multiple episodes. I found it super clear where they were going from 3.01 onward.