Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
I found it very interesting. I never understood the antipathy toward Hook. Is it because he fails to live up to some "noble hero" persona? He foils the desires of those Emma/Neal fans? Because he once harmed Belle? Is Rumpel the only male character allowed to be morally complex?
Agreed. Most of the characters have skeletons in their closets. Heck even Snow's heart turned black at one point. I think the role of the hero has already been cast with Charming so it doesn't work for Hook nor is it believable. Hook is an anti-hero like Indiana Jones, or Han Solo, or Sawyer from Lost, and imo much more interesting that way. I enjoyed seeing his darker side this episode. Why? Because at least its a more honest interpretation of his struggle between good and evil. Yes he scorned Ariel but he did the right thing in the end, despite being tricked by Zelena. Karma is a biyatch, lol. Most people don't do the right thing 100% of the time which is why I like this more realistic portrayal. It would be disappointing and incredibly boring if he did a 180 overnight and turned into a boyscout from here on out.

Quote:
I think the writers should show more times "the friend" side of hook...instead of this insane-out-of-nowhere-love story with Emma.
Out of nowhere? They have had three seasons of sparring, flirtations, and time to build up. :/
Old 04-14-2014, 07:49 PM
Elite Fan

I will never understand why Rumple and Regina get a free pass for everything they've done, while Hook is still compared to the devil. Last time I checked, his crimes are no where near as bad or evil as the dark one's or the Evil Queen's. And yet for some reason they're worshipped and Hook is still vilified. Unlike them he can't solve all his problems with magic.

I guess getting the message to Emma to come back and break the curse, or risking going back to Neverland to help everyone save Henry doesn't count for anything. Well, it obviously counts to Emma and her family. Because they've accepted him. He's part of the inner circle now. That's not going to change.

Zelena cursed Hook for a reason. She saw an opportunity to remove Emma's powers, and she used the one person who is closest to her right now. The man who came back for her. The man who got her to believe again. The man she trusts with her son. The man she invited to join her for dinner with her family. And the man who she told she doesn't care what he's not telling her about his past.

The writers wouldn't add that twist with Zelena if there wasn't meant to be some kind of resolution or payoff at the end of the season. It's just how this show works. Snowing went through their trials, just as Rumbelle went through theirs. This is no different for Captain Swan.

Last edited by scififan2009; 04-14-2014 at 08:00 PM
Old 04-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Master Fan

Except for a supposedly Captain Swan episode, it came off 90% Swan Queen and Hook ended up with magical herpes.

It was pretty entertaining.

Regina finally taught Emma some magic, the Charmings & Mills families sat down for a dinner, building baby prisons, teaching 12 year olds how to hit mail boxes. But honestly, the flashbacks were awful.

Hook could be a good character, him stealing things and wanting his ship back? Decent. Randomly being mean to the fish girl and making cow eyes at Emma? Not so much.

): )
Old 04-14-2014, 08:30 PM
New Fan

I was about to ask this, when I came across with this discussion on Hook. I don't have much time of forum and to me it was quite odd to find out this distaste towards Hook. I really didn't expect that. He's an interesting, colourful and quite likeable character, very well played by the actor.

Is that because this ship vs ship thing (Which is something I don't get too. I really don't care about who is with who)?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Passionate Fan

Uhm . . . look, if this was S2, I'd give my full opinion of Hook and why I think any girl should stay away from a guy like that. As it is, it comes down to the fact that there are guys like him in the real world, ones who think rape is something to joke about even when they're hurting a girl and who think it's cool to beat up people for being disabled or different.

But, what really sets off my alarm bells is that, when it comes to S2 Hook, I've heard too many things that sound exactly like the excuses made when people justify real life bullies or abusers. If you just promise me you won't make that mistake in real life--you will run away as fast as you can from a real guy who does these things even if he's cute and cool and you will not say his victims must be lying or that they had it coming because he's cute and cool--then you can say all the nice stuff you want about S2 Hook.

And I will agree to demand accountability from anyone who turns people into snails and steps on them in real life.

But, I accept that S3 Hook had a personality transplant.

Last edited by Kelaine; 04-14-2014 at 09:31 PM
Old 04-14-2014, 08:56 PM
New Fan

I guess I don't overthink that much. Too me it's all about the fairytales, an ABC TV series, where there are the bad and the good guys. I pretty much enjoy all the major characters.

Hook was Cora's (another one I like) help on S2 and he was supposed to do bad things. That doesn't prevent me to find him an interesting and colourful character, to praise his storylines and specially the acting.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This is a fantasy so I don't take with the real life standards most of the time. I think neal abandoning her in jail, i guess affected me cause that is close to rl, Like in RL I would not want Regina and the Charming having lunch. However on this show I love the dynamic.
hook has done some bad stuff but he has grown a lot. He hasent done anything terrible to Emma with the exception of Rumple cell but they were enemies. I agree more like an anti hero
Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrade (View Post)
I was about to ask this, when I came across with this discussion on Hook. I don't have much time of forum and to me it was quite odd to find out this distaste towards Hook. I really didn't expect that. He's an interesting, colourful and quite likeable character, very well played by the actor.

Is that because this ship vs ship thing (Which is something I don't get too. I really don't care about who is with who)?
I agree. This is why I was initially drawn to the character and remained so for a portion of this season. But ultimately, I think the problem with Hook is the increased exposure; he's getting a lot of it these days. And of course with more attention and airtime, comes more criticism. Now, I don't necessarily have a problem with him being more at the forefront but I do have a problem with how the writers have gone about it. For instance, I think writing Hook as Emma's "romantic hero" was actually an interesting twist. I loved the idea and I loved them but that soured with the treatment of Neal and eventually killing him off (yes, I do think these things are related). The quickest way to turn me off a character or a couple is to prop them at the expense of other characters I like and think are deserving. Moreover, I think Hook's pining for Emma has become quite tedious. IMO, adding on the lip curse doesn't actually make their story more interesting...on the contrary, it's overkill, given that we're likely to see more of the same: Hook pining for Emma. It was past time to switch it up and the writers failed, I think.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Really I see Hook pulling away and Emma being curious the episode really broke my heart
Old 04-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think it is impossible to compare these characters to real life. In real life, I would advise anyone to stay away from someone like Hook or Rumple or Regina (and the even more crazy villains like Cora or Pan). And to a lesser extent, someone like August or Neal (August is a selfish liar / thief and Emma got into a relationship with Neal based on thievery. I don't advise that in RL).

The thing about OUAT - and all shows - is that characters are larger than life. We know that will change and grow, because that's what keeps the story moving forward. We are supposed to root for them and let them have chances to redeem themselves.

No characters are the same as real life people. I know some characters will still feel personal. I'd admit that I ranted about Neal a few times due to me being betrayed myself a few times, and I refused to see Emma forgiving or trusting Neal completely because I wouldn't. And that's not fair because while ex people in my life might not change, Neal could. (I also didn't like him dying when he did).

Actually, with the Hook being cursed, I think we might actually have a change to see development on Emma's part. Well, if ever they want to develop that, now would be the chance. Have Hook withdraw and Emma have to seek him out.

Having more pining looks on Hook's part will be completely useless. We already heard that he loves Emma. More looks or whatever... it would do nothing for development. Probably, they will feel need to put a few looks in... but I think even the most loyal CS fans are getting tired of too much of that.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel Leigh (View Post)
I think it is impossible to compare these characters to real life. In real life, I would advise anyone to stay away from someone like Hook or Rumple or Regina (and the even more crazy villains like Cora or Pan). And to a lesser extent, someone like August or Neal (August is a selfish liar / thief and Emma got into a relationship with Neal based on thievery. I don't advise that in RL).

The thing about OUAT - and all shows - is that characters are larger than life. We know that will change and grow, because that's what keeps the story moving forward. We are supposed to root for them and let them have chances to redeem themselves.

No characters are the same as real life people. I know some characters will still feel personal. I'd admit that I ranted about Neal a few times due to me being betrayed myself a few times, and I refused to see Emma forgiving or trusting Neal completely because I wouldn't. And that's not fair because while ex people in my life might not change, Neal could. (I also didn't like him dying when he did).

Actually, with the Hook being cursed, I think we might actually have a change to see development on Emma's part. Well, if ever they want to develop that, now would be the chance. Have Hook withdraw and Emma have to seek him out.

Having more pining looks on Hook's part will be completely useless. We already heard that he loves Emma. More looks or whatever... it would do nothing for development. Probably, they will feel need to put a few looks in... but I think even the most loyal CS fans are getting tired of too much of that.
word to this post.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:

I read an article once that said how people responded to Mrs. Weasley in the Harry Potter books and movies varied a lot depending on whether people said they had known someone like her. People who hadn't took her as mostly comedy relief. People who had had more complex reactions.

For me, Hook's bad form in S2 was always too real world. I won't ever be able to just dismiss his behavior. I look at him and say I've known guys like that, and they were all bad news.

But, I am working at liking S3 Hook.

Last edited by Kelaine; 04-14-2014 at 10:47 PM
Old 04-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:

That would be interesting. Perhaps Emma wanting to get closer and Hook turning her away. I would probably loved that...if not for Neal. LOL Sorry, I'm still not over his death. And I never shipped he and Emma together. I just wanted him on the canvas, sharing scenes with Henry and Rumpel and Robin, etc.

I mention Hook's pining mainly because they showed him pining again in the last scene where he watches Emma through the window. The writers have shown a variation of that scene too many times, I think. It's lost its effect for me.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWolf (View Post)
Do we even know what emma is capable of as the saviour?
If she isnt strong enough to kill emma, then she shouldnt be strong enough to cast a curse or so that takes her magic away.
It gets more and more interesting.
Not my understanding that Zelena wasn't powerful enough, but that she couldn't (meaning allowed to). First because it will break the curse (if S1 rules still apply) if Emma dies. Secondly, by restoring FTC memories they would immediately know Zelena's plan. Third, it may be part of a deal to whomever cast the curse.

Best guess. One of the reasons why I fully enjoyed the episode is it added to the mystery of Zelena and her plans plus it raised the stakes and increased the challenges for Emma finding a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Beckett (View Post)
I am so happy to be back on board with this show.

Sure I was mad and angry at it for a while but as long as it continues to give me great family scenes then I can deal with the rest of the things I don't like
Glad, you're back.

Last edited by CityGal; 04-14-2014 at 11:28 PM
Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Elite Fan

I don't think pining has anything to do with that last scene. Hook is conflicted He's been faced with a very difficult decision to make, and either one could lead to the deaths of Emma's family. So he's screwed either way. He either betrays Emma by taking her powers, or he does nothing and waits for Zelena to make good on her threat.

Perhaps his first priority should be helping them get the dagger so Zelena can't use Rumple anymore to kill them.