Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Master Fan

If it helps at all, Jennifer Morrison has said in the past that she believes that each episode is a separate day.

Now, that does not always make sense because some episodes are more than a day. But it does seem with the way one episode flows into another that not much time has really passed.

I think she noted recently too that not that much time had passed since the curse was broken.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Absolute Fan

Like I said, the show's internal timeline isn't lined up with real time. Even if part of S1's events did take place in 2012 (since we now know they started in October 2011), there still hasn't been 2 years between the events of the pilot and the events of S3 as was stated by Kelaine.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
Old 11-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Part-Time Fan

No, I agree with you there- S2 was only a month or so. Boy, have they been through a lot in a short amount of time!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Master Fan

Liked the episode, really well done all around. It's sad that Snow doesn't understand her daughter. Which has been shown all season but shined in this episode with how she was dismissing the kiss between Emma and Hook as her missing Neal, and all this jazz. Yet when they're in the cave during Hook's confession the camera pans to Snow and you can see the look of realization that she had it all wrong. Everything about Hook but also about the kiss.

As Mary Margaret told Emma in S1, if it was nothing then they wouldn't be talking about it. The fact that Emma wanted to talk to Snow about the kiss means it meant something, it was not just a kiss. No matter how much Emma wants to deny it, if it was just that then she would never have approached Snow.

These are the moments when Emma needs Mary Margaret and not her mother and it's very sad.

Something else i found interesting, in an episode of being completely honest and letting your deepest darkest secrets revealed four people were tested. A fifth person Neal also gave a statement, however unlike the others his could not be tested so we could not tell if he was being honest. I'm not dismissing him as not being honest. I would however like to say that he's lying or not being completely honest about things.

When he told them he escaped the island, he failed to mention that Pan allowed that to happen. Pan even though very manipulative is also shown to be very honest. So when Neal told him that he escaped the island, Pan did not look shock, he basically stated that it was him that allowed Neal to leave.

Last edited by Radames; 11-05-2013 at 02:34 PM
Old 11-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen107 (View Post)
I don't think you can compare Once Upon a Time to Harry Potter.
I agree with this statement.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Extreme Fan

I wonder if Snow White's desire for another child, as a replacement for Emma, been around since the last season. Or did it spring from Emma's earlier rant against Snow's attempt to be a mother and her confession that she could relate to the Lost Boys?

Quote:
Like I said, the show's internal timeline isn't lined up with real time. Even if part of S1's events did take place in 2012 (since we now know they started in October 2011), there still hasn't been 2 years between the events of the pilot and the events of S3 as was stated by Kelaine.

Considering how fast Jared S. Gilmore is growing, this is not a good thing.

Quote:
Yes, underdeveloped. However, they did emphasize Erica and Ariel as a destined couple beyond what we usually we see with our destined couples.
"Destined couple"? When will OUAT dump this childish manner of portraying romance with the so-called Disney princesses? It's getting boring.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.

Last edited by DR76; 11-05-2013 at 02:28 PM
Old 11-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelaine (View Post)
Regina's been wicked queening it for years. Also, if they're going to show her killing off a guard earlier for minor reasons (which is how I count not stopping Snow before she jumps off a cliff), she shouldn't suddenly resort to non-violent methods with the next character who irritates her--and who she has already done the only thing Regina needed her alive for.
Regina's magic had its limits as there were certain spells that she couldn't cast, including the transformation spell that turns a man into an animal (or rose) and the disguising spell that masks her with someone's body and face. Last time when she needed the disguising spell to get close to Snow, she asked for Rumple's help. Yes, she's been the evil queen all the time since she took the throne of Snow's kingdom, but as a witch, she's always an apprentice and Rumple's always her teacher. I'm sure that she wasn't as skilled as she is today.

Even if she was capable of turning Ariel into wood or anything else, animated or inanimated, she was too egoistic to do that. She didn't treat the Little Mermaid as her enemy yet, but a foolish helper. In her logic, "catch of the day" was her show and Ariel was her audience. If she could make her living the rest of her life in pain, guilt and regret for what she had done to a good friend, it would be a worse punishment than death. Compared to that, cracking up a neck was mercy because the victim would die in peace without further suffering.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Even if she was capable of turning Ariel into wood or anything else, animated or inanimated, she was too egoistic to do that.

Is this supposed to be a discussion on why Regina didn't turn Ariel into wood? I perfectly understood why she transformed the other mermaid. It's possible that she didn't consider Ariel a real threat or worth her time killing. Now, you can chalk that up to ego if you want. I don't, because she got even with Ariel spoiling her plans anyway.

I'm still wondering how Regina knew that "Belle" was Pan's shadow. Was Rumpel the only one who viewed the shadow as "Belle" in his mind?

Quote:
That's very likely. I try to be open minded, I DO. But really, every time I hear the words' true love', 'destiny', 'greater good', or 'love always wins', I just want to hit someone in the face with a rock.

Oh God! So do I!
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
Is this supposed to be a discussion on why Regina didn't turn Ariel into wood? I perfectly understood why she transformed the other mermaid. It's possible that she didn't consider Ariel a real threat or worth her time killing. Now, you can chalk that up to ego if you want. I don't, because she got even with Ariel spoiling her plans anyway.

I'm still wondering how Regina knew that "Belle" was Pan's shadow. Was Rumpel the only one who viewed the shadow as "Belle" in his mind?

Oh God! So do I!
To your question about Rumple being the only one who saw the shadow as Belle, I would say it is very likely, since Regina is not emotionally invested, she was able to see it for the glamour it is.

As far as the true love stuff, this is a show based on fairytales, and the characters were from a realm were true love was plentiful and powerful. It is a show based on hope, so I doubt you will stop hearing it.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:

I think she used her common sense and knowledge that Belle is in storybrook She GETS Pan, in a strange way, GETS the manipulative games he plays, and she has been taught all her life that love is weakness (and in Rumples case has used that against him herself many times) So I think it is just because she can relate to his (Pan's) way of thinking and manipulating. Maybe anyone but Rumple could have seen it. He was just too blinded by WANTING it to be Belle.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Obsessed Fan

Actually, I think it was probably more that Rumple wanted it to be Belle from his imagination so badly, he didn't stop to think about the other options (at least, not for more than 30 seconds).

Regina, on the other hand, is still using some logic, so she knew it was more likely to be Pan manipulating than anything else. Especially with what 'Belle' was saying to him at that point. She doesn't need to relate to Pan at all, it was pretty simple logic that Pan was messing with them all, Belle is in Storybrooke, therefore 'Belle' is most likely Pan messing with Rumple.

๑۩۞۩๑ . . . Join us on the Robert Carlyle Campaign Thread!. . . ๑۩۞۩๑
Old 11-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
That fake Belle assured him that she was his vision, which he believed and didn't think of other possibilities. He was too blinded to see the truth while Regina wasn't.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter (View Post)
Season 1 DID NOT last a year in terms of the show's internal timeline.

...All of that points to what I said about the show's internal timeline only having reached 2012 by the events of S3.
The first season lasted about six months, from October 23 2011 to sometime in early March 2012 (based off the fact that we know Skin Deep took place on Valentines Day, and we're told that The Return starts one week after Feb. 15).

The second season covered something like five or six weeks, so it's no later than early May in SB.

Which makes all the coats people wear pretty funny, but it's Maine.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Passionate Fan

On destined couples:

There's a joke that was spoofing a story with predestined couples. They're supposed to be a reincarnated couple. The girl is informed that, in her last life, she and the guy vowed that they would be together in this one.

Girl: I did? Boy, good thing I'm too smart in this life to go through with it.

Actually, I have mixed feelings on destined couples in stories. I grew up on these fairy tales, too, after all. But, I like Once best when it makes the love story work on its own--not just because it's supposed to work.

And I thought Tinkerbelle's relationship advice to Regina stunk on so many levels.

On time in FTL:

Roland is described as four. That could be exactly four or four and a few months--it could even be nearly five.

Some women show more earlier when they're having a baby, some show more later. Usually, if it's the first child, the mother shows later and shows less, but there are plenty of exceptions. We can't be 100% certain how far along Marian was supposed to be (add to the fact that TV shows sometimes aren't accurate in their depictions of pregnancy). Also, some women go late. Nowadays, they'll try to induce labor (placentas aren't made to last more than about nine months and overly long pregnancies aren't safe for either mother or child), but that wouldn't be an option in FTL.

Marian might have gone into labor right after Marian was healed or Roland could have been born up to six months later (its credibility stretching, but I'll allow them to claim all the options I've given them. I may have to toss in something like Marian's illness causing her to show more than a woman normally would that far along).

Put that way, we have a minimum of Roland having aged exactly four years from the day Rumple shot at Robin to an outside chance of about six years.

Despite Belle's reference to a couple months, implying that's how long she'd been at Rumple's castle, that scene could have meant a couple months since some other incident (like Belle being allowed into larger parts of the castle). Again, we're up against a minimum (about two months) and a maximum (two months since some event) that could also cover time in Belle's life when Roland had been born (and was aging normally) and Belle hadn't yet been imprisoned.

It's unclear how long she'd been wandering around before she met Dreamy/Grumpy. My guess is a few days to a couple weeks, but that's something the writers can change at whim. Still, I'm betting it wasn't significant. Belle's adventure with Mulan and Philip could maybe be stretched a day or two longer than it seems to be (assume that they skipped over more travel time than they seemed to, toss in more prep time for the trap or something) but I wouldn't want to make that argument.

Anyhow, I'm guessing Belle's time on the road before being captured was negligible.

Then, we have time Belle was imprisoned added to time in SB. I'm not sure if time that seems to be passing in SB vs year the show was shot in is a good argument, since I'm not sure how carefully they think about that.

Either way, I have to say that a minimum of two years in solitary when Belle didn't even have the relative cushion the curse supplied against the passage of time, plus the months she spent in the SB asylum after time began to move again--I don't want to make that any longer than I have to.

I suppose I could also be obnoxious and point out that Robin might have given his son's age wrong.

1) Not all cultures celebrate birthdays. Even knowing some people in FTL do, doesn't prove Robin did. He might, for example, count someone as a year older after New Year's or some other date.

2) He also may not count the years the way we would. In some cultures, you're considered a year old the day you're born.

3) After 28 years frozen in time, Robin may slip up on figuring ages

But, the short version is that--

1) The writers figure time before the curse and added in completed seasons as a year each, or,

2) They didn't.

They could figure option 1 without it being consistent with what we see because that's how they decided to do it.

With option 2, they could have it all mapped out or they could be making it up as they go along (or something between).

Last edited by Kelaine; 11-06-2013 at 07:30 AM
Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Roland is described as four. That could be exactly four or four and a few months--it could even be nearly five.
Well that sounds right to me. Let's say, there were one year of Snow's bandit days since Regina took the throne; one year of her love story with Charming since she first met him in action; one year of their revolution agains King George's kingdom since Charming saved her with a true love kiss; nine months of her three trimesters since her royal wedding; and another six months since Emma broke the curse and meanwhile Aurora awoke. So starting from Genie's "assassination" to King Leopold, the accumulated time that have passed in FTL is 4 years and 3 months. That would explain why Snowing and Belle never crossed paths - when Snowing were on, Belle was already off. Regina had probably captured her long before Snowing's time.