Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Elite Fan

Rumple doesn't believe in God. If he did, he would've visited Mother Superior for help. With the Dark One's power, he's idolized himself as a God who dominates everyone's fate with his deals that always come with a price. We'll see if he can find a way to redeem himself this season.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_Siobhan_Magnus (View Post)
Rumple doesn't believe in God. If he did, he would've visited Mother Superior for help. With the Dark One's power, he's idolized himself as a God who dominates everyone's fate with his deals that always come with a price. We'll see if he can find a way to redeem himself this season.
There are plenty of atheists who still love Les Miz.

Side thing, but, while the religion of FTL has some medieval Christian trappings, we know that at least some of the people are polytheists--unless swearing by "gods" is like Christians in Shakespeare plays making oaths and other references to the Roman gods.

My personal guess is that Rumple believes, more or less, in gods but sees them as something more like the Roman/Greek Pantheon, powers more than moral arbiters and not omnipotent powers either. His theology is that, when they pay attention to him at all, they're out to get him and make his life miserable. His job is to see that doesn't happen.

It's about the same as his attitude towards Fate.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:28 AM
Elite Fan

That's not true. He thinks his job would prevent him from being more miserable, but whatever he does, it fills the picture of his fate, pixel by pixel and it draws him closer and closer to the end of his journey, which is his inevitable undoing. Actually, he had a handful of chances to veer into another way towards an average person's life. When Belle leaned in to kiss him in his castle, he could've let his power vanish in its wake; when Henry was on the rope swing adjacent to a jagged rock, he could've made the accident happen to kill the boy before Snowing and Emma's arrival; and when Henry was kidnapped to Neverland, he could've stayed in town enjoying a certain period of peaceful time with Belle. However, there he is, wandering alone Peter Pan's dark territory and searching for a piece of mind. He's totally given in to his fate.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:20 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
That doesn't mean he doesn't believe in God. Anyway in the EF it must have been gods as Bae, Maurice , etc have used the term "by the gods"

Why would he visit a woman who he doesn't trust? I would never talk to a minister, priest, etc I didn't like. Doesn't mean I don't believe.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:32 AM
Elite Fan

Like it or not, he doesn't have a choice. There ain't a priest or minister that he trusts to confess to as the only servant of God in town is Mother Superior who runs a nunnery. In fact, he doesn't talk with anyone about his problems except Dr. Hopper the shrink.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:20 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

I can't get enough of the hand-holding, there I said it

thanks for the icons Rho
Old 10-11-2013, 05:23 AM
Master Fan

You're very welcome. If you need me to do any specific one I have almost 300 images from Lost Girl just of Rumple, Belle, or Rumple.

I loved the images with them, but
<------------ was too appealing for me not to use.

Though I do miss RUmple waggng that tongue..
Old 10-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Like it or not, he doesn't have a choice. There ain't a priest or minister that he trusts to confess to as the only servant of God in town is Mother Superior who runs a nunnery. In fact, he doesn't talk with anyone about his problems except Dr. Hopper the shrink.
We don't know nearly enough about religion in the Enchanted Forest, and therefore Storybrooke, to make any kind of decisive claim about people's beliefs.

They've mentioned clerics in the EF before (not only the ones who allegedly assaulted Belle, but also the one who married Snow and Charming in the very first ep), and if there was Robin Hood, surely there's a Friar Tuck around somewhere too? Just because they only showed nuns in SB, doesn't mean that there are only nuns in SB.

Beside which, surely if Rumple was setting himself up as a god, he would want to be much more prominent? It sounds from the hints that the show has dropped like he isn't very widely known about at all. Snow had never heard of him, Ruby only in whispers, Belle flat out contradicted him when he said that 'everybody knows...', and Cinderella certainly hadn't heard of him before, of she would have damned well read the fine print first.

๑۩۞۩๑ . . . Join us on the Robert Carlyle Campaign Thread!. . . ๑۩۞۩๑
Old 10-11-2013, 06:23 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Beside which, surely if Rumple was setting himself up as a god, he would want to be much more prominent? It sounds from the hints that the show has dropped like he isn't very widely known about at all. Snow had never heard of him, Ruby only in whispers, Belle flat out contradicted him when he said that 'everybody knows...', and Cinderella certainly hadn't heard of him before, of she would have damned well read the fine print first.

I loved when Belle contradicted him about everyone knowing how bad he is. I loved her sassing him. I still do. Even Dream Belle.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:31 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleislove (View Post)
Cinderella wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
True, but I'm pretty sure she would have paid a little more close attention if she'd known his reputation. She's not that stupid!

๑۩۞۩๑ . . . Join us on the Robert Carlyle Campaign Thread!. . . ๑۩۞۩๑
Old 10-11-2013, 06:33 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiorjiina (View Post)
True, but I'm pretty sure she would have paid a little more close attention if she'd known his reputation. She's not that stupid!
I don't know...LOL. I was disappointed with how little they did with Cinderella. Belle needs more friends.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I don't know...LOL. I was disappointed with how little they did with Cinderella. Belle needs more friends.
I won't even get started about Cinderella. I thought she was whiney..

Quote:
We don't know nearly enough about religion in the Enchanted Forest, and therefore Storybrooke, to make any kind of decisive claim about people's beliefs.

They've mentioned clerics in the EF before (not only the ones who allegedly assaulted Belle, but also the one who married Snow and Charming in the very first ep), and if there was Robin Hood, surely there's a Friar Tuck around somewhere too? Just because they only showed nuns in SB, doesn't mean that there are only nuns in SB.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Of course Cinderella didn't know him. As a maid, she wasn't supposed to. She had been waiting for the life-changing offer to the prince's ball, but from her fairy godmother, not Rumple who snatched the opportunity to make a deal. It looked like only the aristocrats with social influence drew Rumple's attention because they were capable of paying his price.

Quote:
Believe or not, she's in the Wonderland spinoff. We're likely to meet her again.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Of course Cinderella didn't know him. As a maid, she wasn't supposed to. She had been waiting for the life-changing offer to the prince's ball, but from her fairy godmother, not Rumple who snatched the opportunity to make a deal. It looked like only the aristocrats with social influence drew Rumple's attention because they were capable of paying his price.

Believe or not, she's in the Wonderland spinoff. We're likely to meet her again.
Cinderella didn't start out as a maid. Her father was a Duke, Lord of something. Her stepmother reduced her to a maid.
Or s the story goes.

Rumple dealt with others that did not have influence.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonwen (View Post)
Cinderella didn't start out as a maid. Her father was a Duke, Lord of something. Her stepmother reduced her to a maid.
Or s the story goes.

Rumple dealt with others that did not have influence.
Yeah, those with desperate souls who sought him out for influence, gaining it overnight without much concern about the price. And when they didn't, Rumple would offer it to them which appeared to be irresistible. In these cases, Rumple made investment.