Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2019, 08:38 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Against_all_odds (View Post)
It' just your opinion. You didn't insult the ship. From what I heard, it's how it was set up in the books. If what you're saying winds up being it, that's fine with me. But much like the rest of people in this thread, I think they're soulmates.

Edited: I just watched it over again and the creators confirmed that she loves him. She doesn't know how to acknowledge it, but she does. He's clueless about it and it's flying over his head.
I know what Dan and David have said in regards to the nature of Brienne and Jaime's relationship, but I disagree that what they're saying has been present in the series thus far,. I also disagree with their viewpoint on the emphasis of the scene wherein Jaime knights her.

If people - including David and Dan - want to "ship" Jaime and Brienne, more power to them. I just wanted to respectfully offer my own personal thoughts on the relationship, what I think the series has shown of it thus far, and what I believe the show itself is demonstrating instead.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
Old 04-23-2019, 06:44 PM
Master Fan

That’s perfectly fine, I just thought I’d share with everyone that the creators confirmed her feelings. I’m not opposed to her with Tormund instead, but his behavior around her is so off-putting. It’s hilarious, but the man has no idea how to flirt or behave. I agree with whomever said that her being knighted was her happy ending.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think it can be seen either way. I actually didn't see the knighting itself as "romantic". Jaime truly admires Brienne as a true knight, and is proud and honored to knight her. But they've had plenty of scenes that reflect various romantic tropes. I think they have the most evidence of a romantic ship in both the show and the books.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Braime in battle:

Old 04-24-2019, 04:23 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer78 (View Post)
I think it can be seen either way. I actually didn't see the knighting itself as "romantic". Jaime truly admires Brienne as a true knight and is proud and honored to knight her. But they've had plenty of scenes that reflect various romantic tropes. I think they have the most evidence of a romantic ship in both the show and the books.
A friend of mine thinks their moments were undeserved. Jaime is the one with battle experience and shouldn't want to fight under her. He's not a knight worthy of knighting her and it wasn't even his idea. He should be leading the charge, but no one likes or trusts him. Had he left Cersei sooner, they would.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:45 PM
Elite Fan

*sigh* I knew that was gonna happen.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
*sigh* I knew that was gonna happen.
You did? I had no idea that they'd revert him back to type. I mean, he was a monster. Tormund would have treated her like gold and Jaime used her. He took her virginity and broke her heart.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:36 PM
Elite Fan

No couple gets to be happy on this show.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:48 PM
Absolute Fan

Jaime reverting to type is completely understandable from a narrative standpoint. Yes, it's rightfully upsetting and heartbreaking for fans who love Brienne and who bought into the idea that Jaime had fully changed, but heartbreaking and upsetting do not automatically equate to "bad" even if fans hate the outcome.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
Old 05-06-2019, 07:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Against_all_odds (View Post)
You did? I had no idea that they'd revert him back to type. I mean, he was a monster. Tormund would have treated her like gold and Jaime used her. He took her virginity and broke her heart.
I'll have to watch again. But I didn't see it that way at all. He left, but it was complicated. He's loved Cersei all his life. He's not going to be able to snap out of it just like that. And it's hard to break old habits. People often go back to stuff that's not good for them.

Also we don't know what exactly he's going to do. He might be going to kill Cersei. He might think he can reason with her. And doesn't he still think she's carrying his child still? He also might feel some responsibility for what's going on in King's Landing. He made a pledge to "fight for the living". And this is an extension of that.

As for Brienne, let's not infantilize her, her virginity was not "taken". She made a decision to have sex with a man that night. That being said, I felt badly for her. And Gwendoline Christie was amazing.

Also, it's a little bit of the cliche "person A is scared of being happy so they push person B away or they leave." It was a bit of a running theme with this episode (Arya and the Hound did the same thing).
Old 05-06-2019, 07:40 AM
Moderator Manager

I'm sad about how things went with them both because I liked the mutual respect they had for each other and even that platonic thing going on was awesome. But now, despise what Jaime's intentions or plans are, the hurt he has caused Brienne is not going to be easy to fix (or maybe not ever).
Old 05-06-2019, 09:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_Crazy (View Post)
I'm sad about how things went with them both because I liked the mutual respect they had for each other and even that platonic thing going on was awesome. But now, despise what Jaime's intentions or plans are, the hurt he has caused Brienne is not going to be easy to fix (or maybe not ever).
I'm not sure what will happen with them. I never saw them having an HEA, because I always assumed Jaime was going to die. I see him the same way I saw Jorah and Theon. Hopefully, they'll resolve things even if they aren't endgame.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer78 (View Post)
I'll have to watch again. But I didn't see it that way at all. He left, but it was complicated. He's loved Cersei all his life. He's not going to be able to snap out of it just like that. And it's hard to break old habits. People often go back to stuff that's not good for them.

Also we don't know what exactly he's going to do. He might be going to kill Cersei. He might think he can reason with her. And doesn't he still think she's carrying his child still? He also might feel some responsibility for what's going on in King's Landing. He made a pledge to "fight for the living". And this is an extension of that.

As for Brienne, let's not infantilize her, her virginity was not "taken". She made a decision to have sex with a man that night. That being said, I felt badly for her. And Gwendoline Christie was amazing.

Also, it's a little bit of the cliche "person A is scared of being happy so they push person B away or they leave." It was a bit of a running theme with this episode (Arya and the Hound did the same thing).
It's still her first time and meant something to her. That and it's the Middle Ages. It's how people thought and in some cultures, still do. She gave herself to him mind, heart, body and soul. He knew he couldn't commit to her, but he slept with her, anyway.

He didn't even explain himself, he just said something horrible that's going to stick with her, even if he tries to make things right.

This whole episode was rife with misogyny and racism. I referred to it as taking because he had to right to accept so much of her and then throw it all away. He didn't need to be cruel, but he was. They played that cliche in the most offensive manner possible.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:29 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I was hoping they would at least have one full episode together!
Old 05-06-2019, 08:49 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
I was hoping they would at least have one full episode together!
This. He acted like he loves her this whole time. If he's going to kill Cersei,he should have told her. Breaking her heart was awful. I had hope when I started listening to Sword of Storms and now I can't enjoy it. It's him being him, plain and simple.