Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Total Fan

Okay, it's no big deal how we structure this. I don't know why I'm trying to make it formal. We'll have all week to talk about each episode, right?
Old 03-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Passionate Fan

MiniElky - well enough. It's a job. And at least it's not soul crushing like the job I had before this. How about you?

Fuzzy - You're a scientist. You like structure. I do too actually. But we most definitely have all week. We've got all the time in the world for this show.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I also like structure! And time-frames. If we give ourselves a whole week then we (I) might get lazy, lol. But at the same time, there's certainly no rush

Scientists are cool. I have a couple of scientist friends, one of them always says "let's do some science!" as a way to solve ANY problem. I find it really funny for some reason. My other scientist friend created a company that uses DNA to match people romantically, with her scientist husband.
She makes me feel extremely inadequate!

Kenni - mine's ok, it's banking-related so I basically monitor my old team and harass them (in the mornings), and in the afternoons I check and authorize another team's work and harass them. I do alot of harassing so if people see me coming they're like "ugh".

Anyway, I will be watching the pilot tonight!

Old 03-18-2015, 02:12 PM
Passionate Fan

My father is a scientist - chemist to be precise. And he claims that scientists are lazy. Because they spend more time thinking about a problem in order to minimize physical expenditure. He's not wrong. My brother-in-law is an engineer and has a specific way to load the dishwasher so that he doesn't even have to fully open the dishwasher door in the mornings in order to get a bowl and spoon for his cereal. My sister and I laughed at the laziness of that; my dad just said it's because he's a scientist.

Then a couple months ago I was moving files around at work, and I kept thinking "there has to be an easier, more efficient way to do this." If there was I never thought of it. But I was telling my co-worker, "that's my father in me, trying to find the easier way." I told my father about that, and he was so proud.

MiniElky - banking, huh? I have a brother who works in financial. He used to work for AmEx and now works for a bank. Speaking of stuff going over one's head...

And I can't believe how excited I am to be rewatching and discussing season one. I feel like I live and breathe The 100 lately. I think I need a new obsession.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:08 PM
Total Fan

Kenni, I have to send you my list of suggested tv shows to get obsessed with! I've been compiling it!
Old 03-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Passionate Fan

Thanks Fuzzy! I'm excited! I will survive this hiatus. I will survive this hiatus.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Gimme dat list too! I WANT TO BE INCLUDED

Kenni - my dad is an engineer (and an extreme perfectionist at that, my god), and I think I inherited his logic and problem solving skills. Like you said above, trying to find simpler solutions to things in the most logical fashion. It doesn't always work but it's good to try anyway

Anyway I watched the pilot! For the 800th time!

2 things that I wanted to comment on:
1)I never noticed how the rope that Jasper swung on had ACTUAL rope in it, like wrapped with the vines. Where'd they get that rope?!
2)I forgot they found the prints of a two-toed animal. What could that be?

Old 03-18-2015, 07:02 PM
Total Fan

I'll send the list in a private message. I want to fine tune it a little bit first.

Just finished watching the pilot...

MiniElky, I also noticed the real rope hidden within the vine rope. I think that's just a production mistake. Like no one was supposed to notice that rope. But besides that, I always have a hard time believing the logistics of swinging across a span on a rope. It doesn't make much sense, physics-wise. You'd have to attach the rope really high up on the side you're starting on and then put a lot of power behind your swing. Or get a really long running start.

Things I noticed:

Wells!!!!! I will always regret that he died so early.

I remember hating Octavia so much in the beginning. It's funny because she's one of my favorites now. And when she first showed up, I thought that she and Bellamy were a couple right up until she said he was her brother.

A lot of the costumes in the pilot didn't quite make it into the rest of the season. Clarke's clothes are different, for sure. (And why didn't she keep her braided hair? That seems so much more practical.) Bellamy's clothes obviously change. Octavia too, I think.

Monty's family grew all of the pharmaceuticals on the Ark. I keep hoping that they'll turn up at Camp Jaha, not only because I don't want Monty to be an orphan, but also because it would be so incredibly useful to have some organic chemists around.

When Kane and Shumway are looking at Bellamy's profile, you can see that his blood type is AB negative. When they introduced the blood storyline at Mount Weather, The 100 Writers tumblr announced that everyone on the Ark was genetically engineered to have type O blood. So that's an inconsistency, but an understandable one.

I really hate the whole running joke with Jasper and Monty about how to have "game" with Octavia. I guess it's supposed to be normal for teenage boys, but are we really supposed to laugh at that? Cringe.

Did you guys notice Fox getting her wristband removed at the bonfire? R.I.P., Fox.

Everybody's acting has really improved since the pilot. Like I think Bob in particular is kind of bad in the pilot. His body language and facial expressions are good, but his line delivery isn't great. He's so much better now.

I don't understand why people ship Kane and Abby. They really hated each other!

One of Clarke's drawings in her cell looks like a vagina. I have no idea what it's supposed to be, but from a distance, it has all of the major features and shape of a vagina. Early hint about her sexuality?

I wish they showed more of the quirky radiation effects more as the show progressed. Like that two-headed deer is awesome and I love the forest glowing in the night. That should come back. It's so cool.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:26 PM
Passionate Fan

Totally didn't notice the rope within the rope. I may have to rewatch that part. Again.

I have lots of other thoughts. Of course. But I really have to go my brother's for my niece's birthday. So I'll be back!

But I wanted to leave you with something that's been bugging me for a LONG time -

As much as I love Clarke and usually thinks she’s pretty smart, I absolutely loved when Bellamy responded to her claim that he can’t open the drop ship door because the air might be toxic with, “if the air’s toxic we’re all dead anyway.” Like, what was her plan anyway? Did I miss the part where the Ark equipped them with hazmat suits and a Geiger counter? Were they just going to wait it out in the drop ship until….I can’t even think of an until. So I’m really curious what Clarke’s thought process was there. She’s smarter than that. It’s something that I’ve always wondered about and looking at it in the context of how Bellamy and Clarke butted heads so much in the beginning it appears even more to be a contrived way to set up this conflict between them from their first meeting.

To be continued...
Old 03-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

omg Fuzzy ... you listed a bunch of things I noticed but forgot to mention! I TOTALLY saw the drawing that looked like a vagina

Also, I was like "hey - now I know Fox! That's her getting her wristband removed! Too bad she's dead". I always think of you, Fuzzy - when I think of Fox, because you had to remind me that she existed

I also did not like Octavia, and obviously Bellamy. I thought Octavia was such a stereotypical wild-child girl who just wants to have, like, fun! And I hated the competition for her affection. These are a couple of reasons why I almost didn't continue watching the show, tbh. I remember the first time I watched the pilot last year, I was like "ugh, who are these two. I guess they're the COOL kids." Hated them.

Clarke drove me nuts the first couple episodes, she was so high-strung (there's a better term for her that I can't think of right now) and like you said Kenni - what exactly was her plan re: opening the drop-ship door? Come on, girl. I guess it was a knee-jerk reaction to the unknown being right outside. But I think we know now, that she'd know what's up.

I also noticed what seemed like sheer animosity between Kane and Abby. My, how far they've come. I can't believe I like the thought of them together now.

And I agree on the acting. Basically everyone has improved - the only one I thought was impressive in the pilot, was Abby. Eliza was over-acting during alot of it, and Bob was just wooden IMO. Of course the script was relatively weak in this episode too, IMO It's hard for a pilot, though. I'm so proud of how far they've all come! And of course after awhile they get used to their characters and settle in more.

Also like you said above, I too was thinking "hey, I liked this radiation stuff." I really loved the glowing butterflies in the other episode, too. I think we should ask for that back, we need more mutated animals and more glowy stuff. I feel like they totally forgot about that and I mean, they ARE on a radiation-soaked Earth.

I feel like we should write to Kim or Aaron on Tumblr with all our random pin-pointy re-watch observations And tag them as #the100rewatch and just harass them once a week with our findings. It's funny, I didn't even notice the rope thing - my bf did and I was like...hey!

Old 03-18-2015, 07:45 PM
Total Fan

Kenni, I kind of think it's a good illustration of Clarke's character development. When they first hit the ground, she has a lot of anxiety and inhibitions to the point that she's almost too cautious to the point of not making sense. By the end of the season, she's so different. So to me it's as much about contrasting Clarke with her future self as it is about contrasting her with Bellamy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniElky (View Post)
I TOTALLY saw the drawing that looked like a vagina
Old 03-18-2015, 07:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm totally drafting up a list of our observations to harass Aaron with tomorrow.

I'm off to bed, this was fun. Kenni have fun and I want to know more of your observations too!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 PM
Passionate Fan

Fuzzy, I think you’re right about it being as much a contrast to a later Clarke as it is to Bellamy.

So…I totally notice the rope now. Not sure about the vagina. I was looking for it during the opening scene with Clarke but couldn’t find it. Then I remembered that Abby gets locked in Clarke’s cell. It was in that scene I think I saw it. But really, since the walls were covered with flowers they were also covered in vaginas.

I agree that the acting wasn’t as great in the pilot. They all definitely improved. I find the assessment that Bob was a bit wooden and Eliza overacting to be a fair one. But I chalk it up to them not being too familiar with their characters yet.

Clarke’s hair was much better in the braid. It’s about 1000 times more practical. The old OP on the Bellarke thread had a pic of Clarke from the pilot in which I often thought she looked a bit angelic. That idea was reinforced whilst watching the pilot. And her hair being down adds to that effect. She’s just so clean and innocent looking with her blonde hair and blue, blue eyes. Seriously, did anyone else think her eyes were like ridiculously blue? And this is from someone who has ridiculously blue eyes - I get strangers remarking all the time about how blue my eyes are and have been asked on more than one occasion if I wear color contacts because my eyes are just too blue. Anyway, point is, I think, especially in these early episodes, that Clarke’s hair being down is to accentuate her innocent and angelic look.

Wells - I was never really a fan of Wells. Part of that may have been that I watched his episodes already knowing we would die. So I didn’t not like him either, I just never really got invested in him. Which now I think may have been a shame. I believed Bellamy when he told Wells he liked him. I can’t help but wonder what kind of friendship they may have had had Wells not died. They had an interesting dynamic that I really think I would have enjoyed seeing explored. But alas, Wells was not long for this Earth.

And it kind of bothers me that Clarke only tells the adventure squad about the Ark dying while they’re out on their adventure - this complaint really comes into play more for the next episode. But I think it worth noting here that she didn’t tell the whole story to the rest of the 100. She’s only said that if the Ark thinks they’re dead they won’t come down. They don’t know that the Ark needs to come down because it’s dying. Yes, if they questioned why the Ark sent them to Earth they may reach the conclusion that things don’t bode well for those on the Ark, but teenagers aren’t always known for their critical thinking skills. So really, for all the 100 knows the Ark just sent them to Earth because the Ark wanted to see if they could come down early, but will still survive in space for another 100 years.

Oh and Jaha’s “Prisoners of the Ark. Here me now.” Way to introduce yourself as a pompous ass.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:50 PM
New Fan

Hi,
the boat in the tree makes me think, that maybe The Boat People
are much different than we imagined.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey And you never know. I wonder if we'll ever see the boat in real life.

Kenni - I noticed how GLOWY Clarke looked. I feel like the colours were alot brighter in at least that episode, compared to episodes now. Clarke's hair was very bright yellow and her eyes were very blue like you mentioned. When Radioactive was playing and they showed her face, I was like 'wow! Lookin' good!'

I would HATE to have my hair down if I were them. I would probably have Monroe hair.

I also believed Bellamy when he said he liked Wells. I also never noticed before but you can kind of see a flicker across his face in one scene, where you think that MAYBE he's not the pompous ass he's portraying himself as. I think it was a scene when Wells was walking away from him, I'm forgetting now. I feel like they would have had a really cute friendship..