Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

wow i'm not okay.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

You know what actually might offend me more than than Jake possibly cheating? I hate how poorly written and developed this storyline was for them, because it involved a lot of "telling" instead of "showing", and most good writers know that you should always show things when you can instead of telling your audience all of the information. What I mean is that instead of letting this story develop properly over several episodes and showing us that Jake and Marley are always going to Breadsticks and always doing the same thing or that Jake is getting really frustrated with waiting, they pretty much ignore them for 3 episodes in season 5 in a row and now they just tell us everything that happened when Jake's all "Ugh Breadsticks and a movie again?" It was just horribly written and lazy storytelling IMO. If they'd actually shown us over the course of several episodes, then it would make Jake's possible cheating much more palatable.
I see e x t r a o r d i n a r y m a g i c in you
Rachel
Old 11-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by now.it.all.begins (View Post)
You know what actually might offend me more than than Jake possibly cheating? I hate how poorly written and developed this storyline was for them, because it involved a lot of "telling" instead of "showing", and most good writers know that you should always show things when you can instead of telling your audience all of the information. What I mean is that instead of letting this story develop properly over several episodes and showing us that Jake and Marley are always going to Breadsticks and always doing the same thing or that Jake is getting really frustrated with waiting, they pretty much ignore them for 3 episodes in season 5 in a row and now they just tell us everything that happened when Jake's all "Ugh Breadsticks and a movie again?" It was just horribly written and lazy storytelling IMO. If they'd actually shown us over the course of several episodes, then it would make Jake's possible cheating much more palatable.
Good point! We didn't see any of that stuff happen at all! They were pushed to the background and it all happened off screen. Very lazy writing!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Master Fan

Yeah I agree with you guys. There was just way too much going on in that episode for them, I wish they had been building it up before. Instead everything felt rushed
icon: wolfsbane
Old 11-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Elite Fan

Agree. They've been super happy until this episode and they just threw all this crap at them out of the blue just to stir up unnecessary drama. You know what else upset me? That condescending, sarcastic remark about Jarley the narrator guy made during the "previously on" scenes. So everyone else on this show can believe they found love in high school and it's okay, but two characters who are actually having a healthy, mature relationship must be delusional? Wth? I feel like they have done a complete 180 with Jarley, like they have decided they now hate them and must destroy them. I mean nothing from their history indicates they would have such disastrous drama coming their way. They seemed like they had staying power, but this storyline seems tailor made to obliterate them. I'm really starting to worry that they might be trying to go back to Ryley. I mean I know they haven't had Ryder interacting with either of them since their blow up, but at this point the only way to bring Ryley back would be to completely destroy Jake in Marley and the viewers' eyes. And what better way to destroy Jake than to have him cruelly cheat on Marley seemingly to get back at her for not giving him sex and not only that but with the most vile, evil girl on the show? I mean why else would they give them this crappy storyline that goes against everything else that they've written for Jarley? I would like to think they want to move forward and not backward with their storyline and not resort to such lazy, sloppy writing, but their arc in this episode doesn't give me much hope. It was so messy and rushed and filled with OOC behavior and seemed to serve no serve purpose other than to make Jake look horrible and for some reason crap all over Marley for being who she is. If Jake did cheat, I'm not sure how they come back from this. And it certainly sets up a scenario where Ryder can swoop in and save the day for Marley and be the better guy for her. So yeah I'm freaking out over here.
"Love is the best thing we do" ~Ted, HIMYM"Have courage and be kind." "Where there is kindness there is goodness. And where there is goodness there is magic."~ Cinderella "Men always choose the wrong things. They stalk power and wealth and frivolous things they think will make them whole. And it never does. It never does. Choose love. Choose your own path. Those are the roads to travel." ~The Royals Icon by http://alexia-drake.livejournal.com/

Last edited by IBelieveInMiracles; 11-10-2013 at 12:37 AM
Old 11-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, Jake getting frustrated with waiting was kind of out-of-the-blue tbh because we've only ever seen them get close to that once (at the 4x14 hotel stuff).

amelia | icon: mel
Old 11-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

it just felt like the writers needed to give them something so of course it had to be a cheatiing SL
Old 11-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah it was just poorly written, badly developed, and totally contrived. I'm actually torn between raging and laughing at the ridiculousness of it all. One of my other ships got ruined b/c the guy cheated on the girl (Danny & Lindsay on CSI NY) and I could never look at them the same way again, but there was build up to that. I dunno maybe I should take the horrible writing as a blessing in disguise and choose to ignore Jake's actions and live in a little Jarley bubble b/c there wasn't any build up to them having problems at all.
I see e x t r a o r d i n a r y m a g i c in you
Rachel
Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Master Fan

That's what I'll probably do Rachel
icon: wolfsbane
Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heartstopper

So Jake cheated?
nick ♥ charlie