Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2016, 11:19 AM
Cardcaptor Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)

I didn't ship any couple. I just really enjoyed the ensemble nature of the show. The friendships and individual characters were just fun and at time very poignant.

Besides at that point, I didn't even know there was a thing such as "shipping"

Did you have a fav?
That's mostly how I was. The only couples I liked where Oz/Willow and Riley/Buffy (the popular thing to do in the fandom is to hate him for no reason but I loved them together) but I didn't really ship them. I guess that's a good thing since the pairings on Buffy were tragic and usually didn't end well.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Elite Fan

^ I was kind of meh on Riley until s6. That episode really made me appreciate him and the relationship he had with Buffy.

Christine--I loved the ensemble nature of the cast as well. In s1, I really loved Buffy/Willow/Xander more than anything else on the show. I did enjoy the Buffy/Angela scenes that season but I didn't really "ship" them until mid s2. I now consider myself a BA shipper, but it took me a while to get there. I watched this show long after it aired so I knew what shipping was by the time I watched. Buffy's my favorite character and I love a lot of the story arc's and dynamics on the show. I didn't really ship any of the other ships but I prefer Willow with Oz and Xander with Anya.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

I had no idea that Buffy dated someone named Angela You meant Angel right?
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 08-18-2016, 11:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I understood you, Nikki.

What I enjoyed best about the show were the friendships. I wasn't invested who Buffy was in a relationship with, but how her friends helped her before, during, and after. Xander was great as the reliable best friend who had zero magical or superhuman ability. He was the everyman, and yet he was the most heroic to many characters during the time they needed him the most. He didn't need to be the one to slay the demon or display eloquence or even wisdom, others held that role. His role was in the simplicity of just being a friend. A true friend. And when he found his happiness, it made it all the more special.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:52 PM
Elite Fan

Okay, I admit that I type too fast sometimes and I don't reread my posts.

I actually didn't like Xander in s2 or s3 but I really came to appreciate his character as the series progressed. And his relationship with Buffy toward the end of the show was really special. Their dynamic was my favorite by the time the series ended. The friendships on Buffy are great and reason enough to watch the show. That's the great thing about BtVS, it was easy to enjoy whether you liked the ships or not. Because it didn't rely on ships to propel the storyline forward. That's why it's still beloved after all this time.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree about Xander. I didn't particularly care for him at first. But I loved his interactions with Spike in maybe s5? I really should check and see what was the last season I watched.

I'm the odd ball that actually liked Buffy and Riley.

April
Old 08-19-2016, 02:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

I liked good old Xander from the start.
But I started watching the show in mid Seaon 5...pretty late.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 08-19-2016, 04:45 PM
Elite Fan

I liked Xander in s1 but there were times in s2/s3 where some of his actions really bothered me. I don't get the extreme dislike he gets in the fandom though.

April, Xander/Spike snarked a lot in s4, from what I recall.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes still one of my favorite shows ever!
Old 08-20-2016, 02:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

Same here. Always love to rewatch it on DVD.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm not sure about season numbers, but when I found this show there was no Buffy/Angel although he was mentioned. So I may have found it a bit later, but still found it enjoyable.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah when I started watching the show I had no idea Buffy dated Angel before (before Season 5).
Old 08-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Elite Fan

I watched from the beginning but that was about a decade after the show went off the air. My friend was really into the show and she convinced me to watch it. I'm glad I did. I remember seeing random episodes in the 90s and I didn't really like it. I think it's because I didn't watch it from the start. And I actually watched AtS before I ever saw BtVS.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

You have a great friend
I browes through a tv magazine and read about the show and saw a picture of Sarah as Buffy and thought it was pretty cool.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

I wached from episode 1 in 1997! Til s7 in 2003! S2 is my fav season!