Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Elite Fan

I know about that air show disaster and there was just another one in Va.....yea we will be far enough away plus they do it over the ocean but it does give one pause.

Yes be very sure to look hard at washing machines. Liz got a new one last year and I hated it. Where they are renting they had a new front loader from Sears and Liz found it full of black mold....the land lord reluctantly called in repair men...it was under warranty....after months now( I have been doing her laundry since they moved the first week of July) repair guy said front loaders don't drain well and get this allot. Finally they gave up and on Sept 28th Sears is supposed to send a new washer...still the front loader kind

My sister studied exhaustively before buying one last year. She was able to find a non water saving kind but it was hard. If I had more room I'd buy one now for later cause I am afraid they will stop making them. I could put it with all the light bulbs I am hording
Old 09-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Master Fan

Yes, we just did another washing machine study session - people seem to either love them or hate them (or get a 'lemon' that doesn't work, or breaks in 1 year or less) and they all say you have to study the manual and learn how to do laundry all over again, to use the new ones!

My son has problems with his washer being moldy in the condo too. We don't have room for a front loader in that spot (fridge is across from it and no room to open the front loading door) so we need a top loader. But they don't have agitators. Or lint traps. And they've made a very simple thing into rocket science!

I'm starting to think I should see if the repair man can fix our old one. MLette will go through laundry withdrawl soon if she can't wash stuff. Plus Mr ML is not going to read the manual and is going to throw in clothes and laundry soap just like always, and you can't do that with the new super power environmentally correct, so little water use it doesn't wash, washing machines.

Oh poor Mr ML Jr - he came over, I was too hungry and tired to wait to get anything so I made grilled cheese sandwiches - dropped a piece of bread and bent down to snatch it up before the dog got it - forgot about the no bending thing - YIKES! So glad I didn't do any damage to myself. Scared me. Should have let the dog eat it and toasted another slice.

My son was making us milkshakes and put in most of a container of ice cream and I think all of a container of chocolate syrup, and it was so much chocolate - we couldn't drink it and had to pour it all out. He was embarrassed - he was trying so hard to do something nice and just got carried away - sometimes more isn't always better. Well, I always make it less chocolately than they like, but cheesh - we couldn't even drink it. The kids just went out together to get some more milk (and a few groceries).

I found out they want Mr ML in even earlier at the post office tonight, and he got in late from his first job and only has like 2 hrs to nap plus he just came down with a sinusy cold of some kind - SIGH - But he's just too darn Capricorn goat stubborn to call in sick or to say he can't manage both jobs.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 09-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Elite Fan

That might be the way to go.

I don't like much chocolot in my black and white shakes either

POor kid...he did his best.....taking care of mom.....glad you didn't do anything bad with that bending...it would be really hard to not do that

hope you have a better night tonight!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Passionate Fan

Oh poor Mr ML Jr. It's awful when you try to be helpful and it all goes to pot. And the habitual reaction to dropping the bread Glad you're ok. Yes, all shall pass. hard to be achy and tired though.

Washing machines are a pain. Everyone says you should have a front loader but really they don't seem to work very well. Hardly anyone seems to like them if they've had a top loader before. Never heard of them being moldy though. You can buy fairly small top loaders I think. I've had mine for around 10 years though so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Seems to me that with a front loader, what you save in water you waste in electricity they take so long. I'd get a top loader if possible.

Don't feel guilty about Viv Poddy, you have to have a break simply for sanity. If you don't have a break then you can't keep looking after her at all so it's all good. Glad you're having yummy food and quiet time with hubby.

I found Dragon Wars at a shop for $10 so bought it. Terrible movie but fun to see. Yesterday I ordered from Amazon so decided to get some JB movies at the same time. Ordered Skin Walkers as fairly cheap. Tried to buy Senseless too but they won't ship it over to Australia

Also bought a book for dad. Potential Christmas present. I'll give it a read first to see if he'll like it. Written by Gunter Pauli. I saw a talk he gave and it was really fascinating. He works to find integrated ways of working businesses so they become more efficient and environmental but he does it by multi operational things rather than focusing on only one product. For eg he worked with an orange plantation in Africa, they opened a place to stay on the farm and used the skins of the oranges used to make orange juice, to make detergent and then used the waste from that to make something else and the waste from that to make something else.

Hope that Wen is doing ok.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:53 AM
Master Fan

Mezz great find on the JB movies! Maybe they won't ship Senseless because it's such a horrifying movie about senseless torture? I think it's the only thing Jason's done I haven't seen, and I just don't want to see it. Too disturbing.

Funny I'm reading a mystery book now that I plan to gift to my Dad once I finish, as he likes that writer too.

I love that using up every bit of something at the orange plantation. It's like Heifer International, where they give a person a (pregnant) cow, and sell the milk and the kids go to school, and the manure makes their crops more productive, and they pass a calf on to another family ("passing on the gift") etc. I think it's a wonderful charity, as they get people started making better lives for themselves. Habitat for Humanity might build people a house, but Heifer provides them with sustenance and a way to make a living and do better. I also like those 'micro loan' women's charities that help disenfranchised women organize little knitting coops or farms or whatever and better themselves/survive and prosper.

I talked to Wen last night (in wee hours of a.m.) - we might be hearing from her again soon, because her computer son scrounged up/fixed up a computer for her to use (of course he also accidentally logged her out of his laptop and erased a post she had in the works for us)

She's still spending 12 hrs a day watching her Mother who is back at her senior living apartment, and switching off with her daughter. I'm sure she'll be by soon, now that she has a computer again! Miss her! She said her (computer) son did get laid off from that job, where they fired him and then kept him on and on for awhile.. so he's looking for another job.

I think those front loader washers are pretty to look at - they have some new ones that come in red and blue, like hot rods! And a lot of the new top loaders have glass lids - as if we have nothing better to do than stand over our washers, watching the clothes get clean. But I tend to use the top of my washer (in my kitchen) as additional counter top space and do lots of cooking on there, and mixing up the dog's food, and cooling the chocolate chip cookies on racks there, etc. My kitchen has hardly any counterspace (and little what we have, is of course, cluttered). sigh! So a glass lid is out, as I don't want to break or scratch it, doing all those other things on top of my washing machine!

I saw a nifty European-type one, I'd only seen on Househunters International, that is both washer and dryer combined into the same tiny machine! But it's tiny and it cost like $1700!

Can't imagine how that would work - oh, I suppose maybe like the dishwasher, it would have a heating element and would warm up and dry the stuff. Would cost a fortune in electricity to run, I'm sure. Still, a neat idea! We never run the heat cycle in our dishwasher, just open the door and let it dry that way. Any appliance that heats up uses tons of $$ electricity. Bad enough we use the microwave and toaster oven so much!

Sorry, I'm sure you'll hear more than you want to know about washing machines until we finally buy one and get that sorted out. I think I need to pick one and go order it today, or we'll have to take stuff to the laundromat (and by we, I mean poor MLette). Or else we could take laundry down to my son's place and do it. Long drive for clean clothes.

I only slept a couple of hours again, but much less uncomfortable/less stiffeningup. Bruise from my surgery is migrating down my leg and quite scary looking but I guess is perfectly normal. Hip seems none the worse for my stupid bending forward. PT lady reassured me they are attached very firmly and not that easily broken, unless you take a really bad fall on them or something. But I know it takes time for them to 'set in' firmly too. At least so I understand. Weird business, but new hip feels great and more 'level' than I was standing before - bad hip sort of had me tilting over to one side a bit.

Poor Mr ML made it home from work today - he WALKED home, too, from downtown Boston, a trek of 6 or 7 miles (subway starts running later Sun mornings and he didn't feel like waiting). No WONDER he's all skin and bones, not sleeping, not eating, and walking miles too. Oh well - being active makes him happy and he likes to sweat and exercise (shudder). To each his own!

At least he can sleep as long as he wants today, until he has to go back overnight again. Breaks my heart to see him working this hard. Plus now he's coming down with a cold. SIGH He's so good...

Yes Poddy should feel zero guilt about rejoicing in time for herself and a break from Viv-care. It's just sooo hard and so all the time. A break is just what they need!

After exhausting comparison and analysis, I found a washer at Lowe's (Whirlpool) similar to what we have, no bells or whistles (thanks Poddy for saying they still made those!), no special detergents, no re-education course required, and free delivery and 10% off, and majority of buyers liked it (with the other HE ones, it was 50/50, love/hate). Hope it comes sooner than the 10/2 estimated date though - I see a trip to the laundromat in our future! :> Progress!!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan

Last edited by MyrnaLynne; 09-18-2011 at 11:56 AM
Old 09-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Elite Fan

morning ML......and maybe Wen(hope hope) and Mezzy too

Glad to hear that Wen is ok and hopefully online again soon. I am worried her mother will start torturing her again I am sure her hard working son will find a job but it is scary while one looks. If I am correct unemployment insurance lasts 3 years now so that is something. That fact is a comfort and a fear all at once. How can we sustain that kind of outflow of funds with over 9% of the population out of work but a comfort when it is you who need it..... God help our country.

ML Glad you slept better....progress and that you aren't crooked anymore I woke up at 3:30 and couldn't get back to sleep

I watched DWTS last night. POdad hung in till right before Chaz.....he was tired plus creeped out. CHaz actually did pretty good. As did Nancy Grace...who knew. I was worried those two would be just too weird but it was ok for me. I don't love anyone at this point but I do love the distraction and the sparkle as does Carson

Yesterday was my first day(morning) alone in my house felt so good. I had to go out some....store....errands visit Jan( who is going in today to get a stint in her urethra as well as a biopsy..it has a lesion....hopefully not cancer. Such a trial over there but they keep on plugging away.

My pastors teenage grandson has cancer of the spine I wonder if there will ever be a cure for that

OK too heavy....sorry.....I'm starting to have to push out worry about Liz and new baby.....hard having your daughter approching such an unknown.......prayer is the safty net there. It will be good to have it over of course. She is in that really uncomfortable phase we all remember so well who have done it.

I am baking her a cake to help us both going to their house tomorrow to babysit AL while Liz gets her now weekly ultrasound to check on her amniotic fluid cause of last time. SHe'll do errands too so i will be ther all day.

We had a nice dinner at their house Sunday night. We went there to pick up my van from the beach and met POdads sis there. It was a thankyou dinner for us from the kids for all our hard work past present and future Liz wrote us a lovely note and they gave us 200$ to get gardening or some other manual labor done at our house( she thinks our front yard needs it....it does ) since we(especially me) do so much physical work for them. That felt nice. You know they appreciate stuff but always nice to get validation.

getting posting jitters bb
Old 09-20-2011, 04:58 AM
Elite Fan

someone forwarded this to me....about the boat lift out of Manhattan on 9/11 who knew.....much bigger than Dunkirk...really inspiring ...check it out >BOATLIFT, An Untold Tale of 9/11 Resilience - YouTube
Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 AM
Elite Fan

many small posts for our post count not really but it won't hurt

this is a picture of OC during this past cloudy weekend......I didn't take it or see this ...it was posted on our 40 HS reunion Face Book page but I really liked it

that is Atlantic City under the rainbow...not that any true riches can be found there

Old 09-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Elite Fan

Hello Hello Hello
Old 09-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Passionate Fan

Hello lo lo lo lo lo

Mezzi has lost her voice. Interesting thing to happen while teaching. Kids always find it fascinating. Good job a music teacher says so much with the hands anyway

Have been outside getting my sun therapy. Got a little hot so came back in. Beautiful day here. Love Spring. I do love where I live. So so quiet.

I am so happy that your kids gave you that recognition and thanks Poddy. As we were saying before, it's so important. I'm glad they recognised how hard you've been working. Lovely to have money to have someone do the garden. That's one of the most important things as you get older (NOT that you're that old yet ... tee hee...) but it's one of the biggest reasons people move out of their homes, because they can't keep up the garden. I know my dad used to send money to his mother in law in England to keep up the garden. (Of course mum would've done it if she'd been around to do it) It meant that she could stay at home until she died because the garden was kept to nice and she could enjoy it.

I have to say that I very much appreciated dad spending money to have the garden in the old house kept up. It was such a joy to be able to have it there always looking so great.

Only 3 days until holidays now. Not that I'm counting Hope to go and spend a few days with the sister. I think she's been having a hard time these last few days.

Lovely picture Poddy.

ML I'm glad that your more evened out and level now That will do wonders for your back and neck too. Also great that you're sleeping a little better.

Wen
Old 09-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Master Fan

Sorry I wasn't here today but MLette is a hard taskmaster. We had to watch all the DWTS she taped yesterday, plus Hawaii 5-0 and Castle from Monday. And then, after dinner, watch premiere of NCIS (our new fave) and the DWTS results show.

I didn't really want to watch this time (I never do - lol) as nobody interested me - but I always forget how uplifting and cheery and just darn fun it was. I was up swaying to the music on my crutches. You know, I am not creeped out that Chaz is transgender, I just don't enjoy watching hugely fat people dance! Of whatever gender. I thought Carson would be better but he's very stork like and his arms and legs are so skinny. Maks thougth he'd win with the soccer goalie girl but she is all muscle and not much of a dancer, tho pretty. I think that burnt up Army guy J.R. is going all the way - he has the sob story, he has the uplifting personality, and the guy can dance. Win - win. I was hoping Nancy Grace would go home tonight. I think that weird sport guy would have been good for laughs, although he was known for beating people up at games, so - maybe not.

I think Rikki Lake and Chynna Philips are boring. David Arquette is a space cadet. I'm glad Derek is back and having Maks' brother Val there spices things up too. I'm so glad Tony got a partner who isn't a headcase. They should have paid him double pay to work with that Gosselin chicky. Kristin Cavalreri might do okay, even though she seems like a Valley girl. That Kardashian boy doesn't have 2 brain cells to rub together but they have lots of fans. Who knows?

Poddy, lovely that your kids gave you a gift and acknowledge all you've done. Kids don't usually do that.

Mezz, glad the sun is shining on you and sorry you lost your voice! Hard to yell at the kids that way, but you don't strike me as a yell-er anyway. Some new Aussie dance pros on Dancing with the Stars. Your country is full of talent.

Wen got her new computer but her son put on a password and forgot to tell her what it was! But now she can get into it, just needs the time, and half her day is taken up with Mother care. Seems like she's behaving pretty well (for her) so far. Fingers crossed!

Mr ML got a break today and didn't have to work his 2nd job today so got to sleep (like 9 hours) and spend some time with us. He went out and picked up some bbq for supper (and a mushroom portabello thing for MLette) and we had quite a feast. My sandwich was so big, I just ate some meat out of it with a fork and still have the whole thing for lunch tomorrow. My appetite is coming back, but I'd be happy if it doesn't come ALL the way back. Eating 3 meals and not snacking (or maybe just having tea), I think I'm losing some of that 'office fat.' Hope so.

Only have 6 more of those dreadful shots left, although I have the hang of them now - but I'm never going to like them.

Mrs Boss sent me some flowers today - I wasn't sure she remembered I was gone, and the secretary called and told me to knock off doing stuff like baking pies, I was making her look bad (who took 3 months to recover from her last hip she's had both knees, both hips done at this point). MLette and Ibaked a pie toether yesterady and it was lovely but exhausting. I was really beat today, but we had a nice dark rainy day and I did lots of good napping.

My time off seems to be flying and now I have some work I can't put off to do - whole next issue needs final checking over so I can give them the okay to print it. Can't put it off, but I couldn't get it to print out this morning. Will try again tomorrow I guess. At least my home email is working again - I called the provider and they fixed it somehow. Couldn't get any emails for 2 days. At least I have my work email as backup though.

Okay, hope I don't lose this, off to bed!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 09-21-2011, 04:31 AM
Elite Fan

you guys heard me

I am off to Liz's early today to babysit so this is a short SO

I agree with most of what you said about DWTS ML accept I am never conflicted and always looking forward to the whole thing......loves it

How nice Mlette had all day to hang with you ...sounded fun! Yea you are making that other worker look like a slacker hope you get your stuff to print out today.

Mezzy sorry you lost your voice....you can just speak the language of music you know your dad has been a good guy in some real ways......nice he paid for grandmothers garden care. Enjoy your

See ya when a get back this afternoon I hope

if you make it here Wen
Old 09-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Master Fan

I heard the English are mad for their gardens, so it's nice Mezzy's dad could provide to keep up the grandmother's place. Nice guy. Not that there aren't mad gardeners here - my sister-in-law across the street it out there pottering in her garden every day, and Mr ML got into a gardening jag for awhile, planting flowers all over the yard. We had fun growing a couple of little cucumber vines this year - got many tasty cukes.

If there are people I REALLY don't like on DWTS, I won't watch it, until they get eliminated, or if everybody on the show is somebody I never heard of (?stars - hah) I'm not that interested. David Arquette is the biggest star they have this time. Well, I suppose Chynna Philips was in that group and I guess Nancy Grace is some big muckety muck controversial 'journalist' person now. And the soccer girl did win a gold medal but...

But I do love love love the sparkly gowns, the band, the singers, the dancing, the drama, Tom Bergeron's jokes, the wacky judges, Brooke Burke's terrible interview skills, all the guest bands and singers on elimination week - I am even looking forward using up my cellphone $ voting. LOL, I was all set to vote and MLette pointed out that we were watching it on tape. Then I was set to vote Tuesday and she said, no this is the elimination show. Oh.. right!

It's nice to have MLette hanging all day, but I think if I were by myself for more time, I'd have gotten some work done. Well, I managed to print out that issue I had problems with yesterday so now it's there, if and when I feel like checking it over. Right now I'm ready to go back for another nap on the sofa..

I had a GREAT sleep last night though, almost 4 hours in a row, so definitely progress, and I was walking around the house a bit without crutches, too. Hip is getting remarkably better, remarkably faster than the knee. Just wish this pesky bruising would go away and I need to get my stamina back again. Yeh, too bad if I made that other woman look like a slacker (because she is one - cough).

This is the start of Mr ML's 'weekend' so he's going to be hanging around too - except when he's out playing basketball or jogging or whatever other sweaty thing he likes to do. He's off from today until Friday night. I think he's liking that post office work a lot - too bad it can't be a full time, permanent, actual job. SIGH. He told the other job he can't do both and wants to concentrate on this one for now - wise move, so he doesn't work himself into an early grave. I was very worried about him.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 09-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Elite Fan

glad that MrML is dropping that one job! He's close to retirement age....not two jobs at once age

So So glad hip is doing well ML

I agree with your whole run down of DWTS.....love all those things too...I know...could Brook be anymore stiff? Once in a while she manages an unawkward genuine moment but given how popular this show is it is amazing they stick with her. Tom so makes up for her lack of skills with his mad skills

Kat from SYTYCD and Tom are great!

How about that netflix commercial...I actually couldn't tell definitively.....I will think what you think ML
Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Master Fan

I don't know which Netflix commercial you mean - maybe we fast forwarded through it? I was wondering who the heck LMFO band was, but they do the song that the hamsters driving Kia Soul cars do in that commercial. Great party/dance song!

I got up at 5:30 (ugh) and proofread one article - Yay! It was a relatively short and easy one. Then I slept for awhile. Got up, ate breakfast, put the corrections on the online copy of the article, sent it to the proofreading coordinating lady - and went back to sleep again!

I got up at 3 a.m. and the dog was sleeping in my room and Mr ML was gone (but I thought he was sleeping on the sofa) and then he came in, had taken a ride over to his old 4 a.m. - 9 a.m. job, to see if they had a last paycheck for him (nope), and he took the dog out at like 3:30 in the morning and then went to bed! Oh gosh the poor dog HATES the nights Mr ML has off, because he feels he needs to stay up most of the night to stay in shape for working overnight, and keeps the dog awake. The poor dog was just exhausted. Mlette tried to take him for his usual walk after breakfast - and he refused to go! Too tired!

MLette found another cuke in the back that Mr ML had missed - he definitely 'won' our cuke-off, but only because the hose is in the back yard and his flowers, and he watered them, while I have to lug a watering can to mine inthe front yard, if it doesn't rain - and it didn't rain for quite awhile there. But it has POURED buckets several times today.

PT lady is due any minute - I looked out and it was pouring buckets, so I guess we won't go out walking togethr today! Maybe she'll make me go up and down stairs or something. Or maybe the rain will let up.

We need to take the clothes out to the laundromat - well, Mr ML and MLette will probably do that. That blankety-blank Lowe's better send me my new washer pretty soon!

P.S. We're over 300 posts, due for a new Autumn thread. ;>
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan

Last edited by MyrnaLynne; 09-22-2011 at 11:20 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread