Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2017, 05:55 PM
Elite Fan

ML my blood pressure was rising the more I read about your last day and the lack of appreciation from staff not to mention Mrs Boss's typical narcissism ugg......we here know how very hard and with such precision and professionalism that you gave the journal all these years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please accept our heartfelt congratulations for a stellar career and our deepest wishes for a happy retirement! You so deserve it!

I know we all here on the JOFs wish you a good rest before going to your dads and that you have fun buying presents for your loved ones. Of course the retirement home isn't as good as imagined...they never are but dad is safe and when you go down you can get the lay of the land. Getting old is tough but your dad has been SO SO fortunate.... he will adjust given his temperament.

Sending you big s about that last day but I am very happy for you that you don't have to haul a%$ to the metro this winter and can stay cozy either at home or in Florida
Old 12-04-2017, 06:30 AM
Total Fan

ML........you mentioned not being used to both of you being home at the same time. That was the thing that bothered me .............I wanted to have time alone in my house, and that never happens. How is your gift shopping doing? I have about three family members that are giving me trouble figuring out what to get. I'd like to get finished soon and get things wrapped so I can start the cooking.

We know the largest group will be arriving the 23rd and stay until the 26th. Others will come as their schedules fit with other family members. I am thrilled my son-in-law Jay is feeling well enough to join us. We thought last Christmas would be our last with him, but thank goodness for this year.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:32 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Because it is the Christmas season and New Years is right around the corner. Here is a little treat for you all!

Jason Behr was in the 1996 TV movie called Alien Nation Millennium.

He played Randy in the movie. It's classic and very funny!

Here is the IMDB page.
Alien Nation: Millennium (TV Movie 1996) - IMDb

The movie takes place in LA on New Years Eve and everyone is ready to ring in the Millennium.

Here is the full summary

It's 1999, and as the end of the millennium approaches, people are attempting to find spiritual enlightenment. But a few people want to skip all the work that entails, and a holy Tenctonese relic in the hands of a heretic is giving them a shortcut. But it's not quite as easily controlled as she says.

You can watch the whole movie of Alien Nation Millennium on Youtube. Enjoy!

Here is the link below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsJJ2m2zIoo

Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 12-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Master Fan

I LOVED the series 'Alien Nation' and I had that TV movie with Jason in it (playing a very very bad boy) on tape - and when I became a Roswell/Jason Behr fan, I was thrilled to discover I had it! Thank you very much. It was a wonderful show, and a good role for our young Jason, back in the day (way back). ;> And ironic that he plays a teen being awful to an alien girl, and later he was the alien boy on Roswell! Funny.

Thanks PodMom for being mad on my behalf and for the beautiful retirement card and wishes (that I didn't get from anybody at work - ahem). I didn't mention the last time I stopped working (part-time) for Mr and Mrs Boss the first time, after 12 years, she gave me a $5 MGH baseball cap as a parting gift. It was like a slap in the face, so I shouldn't be surprised at her gracelessness this time around, after 30 years.

Got Mr ML all signed up for Medicare supplement and PartD - we were on the phone probably an hour and a half today (I hate the phone, Mr ML hates it more), although we got a cut-off phone call from the Supplement people on the answering machine, so I dont' know if they were calling with more questions/more stuff he has to do to really sign up. Oh well, as my rabbi used to say (who didn't ansewr the phone on the Sabbath): If it's important, they'll call back.

We went out and Christmas/Hanukah shopped and made good progress. You know men - Mr ML got me one thing and our daughter one thing, and one Yankee swap gift, and he considers his shopping finished! I got him one thing, my son two things, and another thing for my daughter. My shopping has just begun! We went to Kohls and the new Wegman's next to it, and I was suddenly FAMISHED so we ate lunch at the Wegman's - it was pretty nice; they have a burger bar, a sushi bar, a sub bar, a pizza bar etc and a nice area to sit down and eat it. I don't think I would have survived the ride home without food. LOL
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 12-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Total Fan

ML........sounds like you have a good start on your shopping. Maybe tomorrow I can jump in that pond. My biggest problems are the adult grandsons and husband of my granddaughter. I don't know where to start!
Old 12-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Elite Fan

You are very welcome ML I'm glad you are having free time to shop.... I need to I did get some things on cyber Monday for the first time and that was great and good bargains but I have eons to go!! We did get our outside lights up and today I started the inside ( which entailed finishing cleaning up from thanksgiving. ) I took a dinner cook/eat/FF break and will get back to decorating now.

I so so pray your son inlaw is one of the percent that beats his cancer! It is wonderful he will join you all for Chrsitmas

I get my crown put on tomorrow and more decorating...hopefully will be done with that.

Next week is busy I have my bible study over for a get together breakfast( we started our break last week that goes till Jan 17th) then bunco that night then Thursday either podad and I are babysitting the kids over night or are going to DC to babysit the kids and see Emily and her new basement remodel. Confusing to relate but Walter has his Christmas part in DC Friday and Liz got invited to her old jobs party on Thursday....Grace is the problem...getting her to sleep and if she wakes up in the night...so Liz at first thought we would all go and grandparents babysit at hotel during the events and Liz would be there at night. We are deciding. Plus her friends from when she worked at Duke are getting together in NYC on Tuesday and she really wishes she could do that...but man that is the day befor emy bible study thing....when it rains it pours
Old 12-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Total Fan

PODMOM........it's a shame that all of the interesting activities for the year are crammed in to one month, December. You are the best mother ever for helping Liz so much and giving her the opportunity to be with her work friends.

The next two weeks for us will be busy too, all of the parties and special events. I really do need to get cooking and get casseroles, etc. in the freezer for later when kids start arriving. This coming weekend a friend and I will be going to Fredericksburg, TX that is. It is a German community and they really know how to celebrate Christmas with food, decorations and shopping. It's a day trip adventure and hubby can stay by himself for that time.

Hello WEN........what's going on in your corner of the world, and how is your health situation?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Master Fan

keepsmilingtrip to Fredericksburg sounds like fun! I read about that town in my Where to Retire reading.

And Little Debbie is back in the hospital again - son said she never should have come home - she can't keep any food down. I am really worried about her... And sorry he is dealing with all this stress and worry too about her and has missed a lot of work caring for her..

You have a lot on your plate PodMom as usual. You are very good to help Liz and let everybody go to their parties. You study group and bunco friends sound like so much fun. Mr ML surprised me and went up to the library for their monthly chess night tonight. He used to be an expert chess player - He enjoyed it. He can go next month again, but then we'll be in FL. It is freezing here tonight, my feet are two blocks of ice, and Florida is sounding pretty darn good right now. Brrr!

I know Wen had family over for Thanksgiving and cooked, which makes her very happy, and of course I'm sure being the Gifter of all Gifters, she is very busy packing up presents and getting ready for Christmas.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 12-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Total Fan

ML........I'm glad you are keeping us informed about WEN. At least we know she is alright.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:53 PM
Elite Fan

keepsmiling I know ....nothing goes on mostly all year and then it all happens in one month Your trip to Fredericksburg sounds really fun It sounds like you are way busy too like we all are. I hope your casseroles turn out well!

Thanks for the Wen update ML she surely is the gift giver of all time!

I am so sorry about your DIL for her and your son she really has such trouble and for someone so young. Your poor boy. I hope she improves soon

MrML and chess sounds like a good activity. He has quite a few interests...podad has none that include actual people keepsmiling thanks for affirming my frustration about never being alone in my house it started with mom being here and caretaking and now I have podad here constantly....I so miss the days when I had time alone in my house!!!!!!!! Spoiled westerner I know but I still miss it
Old 12-06-2017, 07:24 AM
Total Fan

ML..........so sorry your son is dealing with a sick wife. That causes a lot of stress all around. It sounds like she should have stayed in the hospital. I hate that hospitals are so eager to get you out, but maybe that is what insurance dictates?
Old 12-06-2017, 06:46 PM
Master Fan

I think she told them she was better but she really wasn't, she just wanted to get out of the hospital. I haven't had an update... (worry)

Took my first retirement afternoon nap today. Pretty nice! and got my last paycheck. Went to check on it this morning and our cable, internet, and phone were down! Lucky I have the cell phone - I called and they said it was an 'area wide outage' and they got it going again fairly soon. Might be some s-n-o-w later this week. But not much, I don't think. Has to start sooner or later...
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 12-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Elite Fan

I hope DIL is doing ok ML and that you get an update. Congrats on your first retirement nap I hope the snow drifts off.

I am pooped from the decorating.... Nice to look at but after decades it looses a little of the thrill A little more to do tomorrow and then I'll be done that part and have to get working or presents and food. Emily coming home Friday night...in time for dinner and a friend is staying with us too so it will be nice for them to enjoy the decorations. She and I go to a baby shower Saturday afternoon and she is going to go to my womens Christmas brunch at church so it will be nice to have her with me for that
Old 12-07-2017, 08:42 AM
Total Fan

PODMOM...........I am exhausted too and am only about half way through the decorating. Through the years we have collected so many decorations, that I have to decide which ones to use this year. Hubby is no help, because if he does try to decorate the tree it is only on the side where he can sit and reach. Reminds me of little children decorating only the bottom.

I now have Christmas stockings with removable name tags to adjust as we have guests joining us. The former grandson in law is removed this year, and my oldest son is bringing his girlfriend for the first time. Oldest grandson is not bringing his girlfriend as she's going to be with her family. As you might remember I was an only child, and sometimes this big, big family overwhelms me.

This afternoon hubby has to go to PT, then I'll come home and start some of the cooking. I try to get as much in the freezer as possible.

ML........those retirement naps are wonderful, but watch out, you can really get used to them and find you can't be away from home in the early afternoon. And of course that's when all of the robo calls come forth just when you get to sleep. That's also the time I catch up on TV shows I have recorded at some point. I love fast forwarding through the thousands of commercials.

Better get busy, have to pick up a prescription refill for hubby.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Master Fan

keepsmiling clever idea to have changeable stocking to accommodate changing guest/family configurations Decorating is a lot of work, especially if you do outdoor stuff too. Most of my decorations are stuff my kids drew in school/I've bene using for years and years. They are getting pretty dog eared all these years later, might be time to toss everything (when we move).

I just have to set up the table, but right now it's buried under gifts and holiday card stuff. Need to get the cards done before next week (but can only do so many at a sitting). Realized today I need to pack up and send gifts to my son and his wife in TX this week/SOON, if I have any hope of getting them there in time for Hanukah next week. I got her the funniest thing at Target yesterday - it's the talking Bubbe (Jewish grandmother) doll - you press her hand and she says various Jewish grandmotherly things. I hope she'll find it funny and not think I'm crazy.

I don't plan to make afternoon napping a habit! As it was, I was up until midnight last night, because I wasn't tired (because of the napping). Took a walk this morning. Need to do more of that, and less napping!

Yes, those robocalls are annoying! At least I'm no longer getting the one that bedevilled me at work, something about MAPS notification and was my business online or brick and mortar (it wasn't a business). I hate the telephone! (Except when it's not working, like the other morning when everything was out for awhile - then I worry I don't have it!)

Got my last check (which has unused vacation time hours in it - a lot of them) so that will help a lot with tiding us over until the various retirement checks start to arrive. But looks like healthcare is going to take a huge bite out of them. Welcome to retirement! And the latest government plans only make it worse for everybody. Scary
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Closed Thread   Post New Thread