Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Master Fan

The urge to perform has faded a lot, though. I guess most little kids are all "Look at me!"

NPH is from New Mexico, like Nick Wechsler (and Freddie Prinze Jr, French Stewart, Demi Moore, David Hyde Pierce)
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 12-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Elite Fan

Nph?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Master Fan

Neil Patrick Harris, sorry!

Well I am finally reading a really good book "The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon", one of the new No 1 Ladies Detective agency books, about a lady in Botswana (although written by a white Scotsman, Alexander McCall Smith) - they are such gentle and pleasant books, lots of thinking about things and sipping cups of tea, and endearing quirky characters. You really get a feel for Africa and the people there.

I also have the next one, The Handsome Men's Deluxe Club, something like that. There are about 15 books in that series.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-08-2015, 07:00 AM
Elite Fan

oh thanks

Oh they sound good...I'll check them out!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:40 AM
Master Fan

I just ordered the 2 books previous to the ones I'm reading now, realized I'd missed a few more in that series, so you'll probably be hearing more about Precious Ramotswe, lady detective of Botswana! The problems they solve/crimes are generally of the mildest sort, just very pleasant reading.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Elite Fan

Ah those books are wonderful!! I love them so much. Podmom you should definitely read them. Start at the beginning though Reading them just takes me back to Ghana. So much of it is true of life in Sub Saharan Africa. I have a wonderful friend who reminds me so much of Precious Ramotswe, from her 'traditional' build to her mannerisms.

I love how they show the beauty of Africa, and that it's the simple things in life than can bring the most pleasure.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Master Fan

I invited Barbara over for tea (and to check she hadn't frozen to death in this weather) and gave her the book (#14) and I started reading the new one last night. I only read it before bed, though, so it takes me awhile to get through them.

Reading them in order makes sense - you can look them up and get a list online.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-09-2015, 01:37 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah Great bedtime reading! I think I might have to start them over again.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:50 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the tip Ekua and ML I only have time to read at bedtime too and these sound great
Old 01-10-2015, 07:02 AM
Elite Fan

They are wonderful!! Let us know how you like them The first one is simply called The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:31 AM
Elite Fan

got it!
Old 01-12-2015, 01:07 AM
Elite Fan

I am reading Mister Pip right now - i'm really enjoying it.

Summary from google - sorry feeling very lazy today to write something articulate!

The novel is the story of a girl caught in the throes of war on the island of Bougainville. It is through the guidance of her devoted but strict Christian mother and teacher (Mr. Watts - the only white man on the island), that Matilda survives but, more importantly, through her connection with Pip, a fictional creation in Charles Dickens' Great Expectations. Pip helps Matilda maintain a desire to live, especially after her mother, the wise Mr Watts, and her island home cease to exist.

Last edited by Ekua; 01-12-2015 at 01:13 AM
Old 01-13-2015, 06:58 AM
Elite Fan

sounds good and very Ekua

I have to read the book Emily gave me for Christmas before I invest in a book......it is As You Like.....written my Cary Elwys ( sp) the farm boy in Princess Bride...a memoir of making that movie
Old 01-16-2015, 12:01 AM
Elite Fan

Oh sounds interesting....enjoy it!!

I have just started Still Alice, about a woman with early Alzheimer's.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:23 AM
Elite Fan

yea that is the movie Julianne Moore is in. Sounds interesting but given my age and my present occupation touring of nursing homes( went to one yesterday ..it is very sobering and depressing) for my mother it is a little close to home. I'll be interested to hear about it.