Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Elite Fan

Yah, me too!! I just finished my new book in a few days!! Sometimes I wish I read really slowly so I had more time

I am going to start a new book by the women who wrote Gone Girl. It's called Dark Places and seems a little creepy! I also need to start Barack Obama's autobiography and Desmond Tutu's, but right now I don't really feel like anything too heavy.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Elite Fan

obviously I don't either if I am rereading a Twilight book

I'm gonna check into the funny one you suggested
Old 11-17-2014, 04:34 AM
Elite Fan

Nothing wrong with a little light reading!

You should, it's really good!
Old 11-17-2014, 07:02 AM
Elite Fan

gonna start it tonight going back in the thread now to get the name
Old 11-18-2014, 05:57 AM
Elite Fan

Ah let me know what you think There's a lot of Irish slang in it - hope that's not an issue
Old 11-18-2014, 06:08 AM
Elite Fan

I pooped out last night but I will love the slang when I read it
Old 11-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Master Fan

I picked up a new book on my travels, and NOT a 'cozy' mystery for a change. It's a book by Fanny Flagg; my friend HeartofIce in New Mexico loves her books and has mentioned them frequently. This one is called "Welcome Home, Baby Girl" - sort of reminds me of Garrison Keillor and his folksy humorous writing style. About an ambitious newswoman in NYC from the midwest someplace and the people back home; it jumps around in time a bit (chapters have different years) - gave me one chuckle so far.

I used to love reading biographies/autobiographies, Ekua, although I didn't like the last one I got (singer Judy Collins) and I put it down - just wasn't a life I wanted to know that much about/she wasn't that good a person! I'll stick to enjoying her singing and not find out about alcoholism etc etc.

Oh gosh, and my niece's Romance Novel is coming out this month; need to buy a copy for our Kindle (it's an e-book), as my husband is curious and wants to read it!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 11-19-2014, 03:50 AM
Elite Fan

Your niece has written a book? That's great MyranLynne
Old 11-20-2014, 11:15 AM
Master Fan

Yes, it's a romance novel, called "Call me Tiffany" with a steamy photo on the cover!

She has sold another one, I think, or has a contract to do some more - She started writing when she was 18 (I helped her type the first book - it was AWFUL), but she's no quitter (she also just got a black belt in kempo karate - lots of energy and ambition!)

For some reason I thought Denis Lehan wrote 'Gone Girl' didn't realize it was by a woman. Seemed like a pretty grim story - Mlette saw the movie of it.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 11-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Elite Fan

That's awesome, well done her! Amazing achievement to write a book and get it published

Yeah Gone Girl is pretty dark! I liked the book but it's very hard to feel any empathy for the characters are they are both awful people!

I am reading another book by the author, it's very dark but I am quite liking it! It's about a girl whose mother and 2 sisters were murdered and the brother was arrested for it - 24 years later the girl finds out there's a 'Kill Club,' where people meet to discuss murderers, and there's people obsessed with her family and trying to get her brother free. It's weird but I like it!
Old 12-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Elite Fan

I started the series by your Irish author Ekua I'm liking it ...thanks!

Very cool about your niece ML
Old 12-06-2014, 07:33 AM
Master Fan

I bought my niece's romance book and put it on the Kindle, because Mr ML wanted to read it, but it's so awful (well, so NOT his sort of book) that I think he gave up after a few chapters. I think the girl gets amnesia He also thought it was pretty 'raunchy.' But it must be good, for the genre, that a publisher accepted it/paid her for it/wants more!

Started another cozy mystery from the pile I got from my friend, but it's not catching my interest so far. Some woman who runs a spa/retreat place, and gets a couple of old ladies from a retirement home (who I guess have solved mysteries in previous books?) come stay at the spa and solve a murder. It's just not very good.

And why do authors like to give characters such annoying (made up) names? The one woman in this is 'Caledonia Wingate.' Hm, maybe so they are memorable? One of the reasons I didn't like the tea shop mysteries was the main character's first name was 'Theodosia'. (well lah dee dah)

I think that's what Mlette said about 'Gone Girl' Ekua - both characters were such despicable people!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 12-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Elite Fan

yea romance novels are a genre unto their own and I think unless you love them you hate them
Old 12-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Elite Fan

Yay i'm happy you like it podmom

I also like the author Liane Moriarty. She is Australian and writes good mystery novels that are not too heavy - perfect for a beach, light read. I think you'd like her
Old 12-08-2014, 06:20 AM
Elite Fan

so far so good on the Irish book. It is holding my interest...certainly light with some quick and oh so true observations on the female condition....I'll check out that Aussie one next. I never read mysteries so that might be a nice change. I just wish kindle books didn't cost so much