Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2016, 12:42 PM
Master Fan

Merry Christmas to all and a wonderful 2017 - all good things!

Well, the office party turned out to be a really good time. Lively/friendly people at my table - I talked to this young lab gal who was slim and stylish and intense and reminded me SO much of my one niece (the one who moved her family to NC) that I missed her!. Plus this year they had a DJ - I thought he'd just play tasteful Christmas background music, but there was DANCING! Oh, too funny, those dancing doctors and nurses and lab techs and secretaries dancing up a storm. I got up and danced a little too, the music was that good.

Food was all delicious too, lots of hovering waiters refilling your water, checked your coat - it's a very fancy party. Oh also open bar with beer and wine, but I just had soda. Best part was woman who said, "You came by subway? I'll drive you home after the party" and she did. That was a break, as I was nervous about walking to the subway at night, that area is very deserted, all high tech company high rises that empty out at night/nobody around. Got home just in time to give Mr ML my subway card, so he could go off to work too. A good party!

Now he and I are both off 3 days in a row and that never happens so very nice holiday! Unfortunately, he couldn't smooth things over with his brother and sister, who are FURIOUS we aren't coming to Christmas so... Hope it doesn't cause a huge rift in the family - we didn't mean to insult them or ruin their holiday.

I just got the table cleared off and tablecloth on and Hanukah menorah and candles and opened all the boxes of presents from various people and they are piled up high! A very bountiful holiday. I was worried I didn't have enough gifts for Mr ML and Mlette (and way too many for me) but everybody has a LOT of gifts. :> Even Barbara has 4! And I think more are coming out of hiding from Mlette when she comes over. She and John are going to come over Christmas night - get a double holiday!

Everyone is hoping she gets a ring for Christmas but too soon...
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 12-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey everyone I should be asleep now and have eaten way too much

Old 12-26-2016, 02:16 PM
Master Fan

The little Royal kids were very cute going to Church on Christmas with the candy canes. So cute. Poor little Charlotte though, she looks just like Queen Elizabeth.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 12-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Elite Fan

I don't like how they dress George like he's from the 50's though....the poor wee guy looks ridiculous with his knee high socks and shorts in freezing weather. And those silly blouses he wears....
Old 12-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, what's with the old-fashioned getups on the little guy?!

Old 12-26-2016, 09:48 PM
Elite Fan

ML I'm glad your office party turned out well and with live music too and very nice you got a ride home even!! Enjoy your days off!

I ate and have been eating too much too Lisa

I need to google the royal kids and check it out hey btw I wore knee socks all through school with short skirts ( no pants on girls allowed back then) and I survived

came back to drop off a pic...so cute

btw I think little George looks like mommy and hence her father who I think she takes after
Old 12-27-2016, 01:37 PM
Elite Fan

Hmm not loving his coat....seriously need to dress him like a 3 year old boy.....

Anyone any fun plans for New Years?!
Old 12-28-2016, 06:33 AM
Elite Fan

well...... podad Emily and Robbie and I are going to that new years themed wedding in Philly on the 30th. Spending the night at a nice hotel and podad and I finally get to ride on a wedding but after footing the bill twice for those ( in case you guys don't do that in your countries...here in the US these days often busses are provided to cart guests around from lodgings to venue and back so people don't drink and drive)

New years eve Liz and her family will come to our house and we will all have dinner ( I'm pondering what in the world I'm going to cook for so many....Robbie can't eat ham or beef which is really limiting....after getting back home from the wedding....and I'm already spent from the weeklong of busyness) together and then the couples will go to the brides parents house for new years eve party( Liz and Walter will take our place) while we watch the kids. Hopefully the baby cooperates and doesn't wake up when my neighbor sets off his tons of fireworks I'll set mine off early so the kids can see them.

Usually we have a much more do nothing time. Often just me and podad or we go to Liz and watch kids.

How about you Ekua and all
Old 12-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Master Fan

I just saw a photo of the royals and the men were wearing long socks and short pants with garters and all sorts of royal get-up and sashes and medals so.. I don't think it's so weird they dress little George formally and a bit old-fashioned looking, as it was church and Christmas and they are Public Figures who have to always look good and dress appropriately. I'm sure he has playclothes when he's just hanging around... although now that I think about it, I remember him coming down in his wee bathrobe and pajamas (pyjamas in UK?) to shake hands with Mr Obama in a photo, and I thought they dressed him like a tiny adult then, too.

We never do anything on New Year's eve usually either, PodMom and this year John wants to take Mlette someplace, so it'll just be us two chickens. Does sound sort of fun, a wedding you aren't paying for/a member of/can just enjoy, and then you can watch the kids while your kids go party for New Years. We have two family weddings coming up next Aug and Sept, although the first is just sort of a family party to celebrate (quickie) wedding that already happened (ahem baby already happened too and is a year old), but the other will be a big church wedding between two big Irish families. If we get invited, if his brother (father of the groom) is speaking to us again by then (SIGH).
First party is in Long Island (and they have an in ground swimming pool!) and the other one is in Buffalo NY, where she hails from - luckily NOT in the winter (Buffalo gets the worst snow and winter of anywhere).
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 12-28-2016, 12:03 PM
Elite Fan

I don't think it's weird they dress him formally, I just think he looks ridiculous As does Kate in her thousands of pounds outfits which we are paying for... They can dress him smart without making him look like an idiot....poor wee guy when he looks back at photos of himself!

Yup pyjamas

Sounds like a good few days Podmom Hope you find something to cook....maybe vegetable chili? Sweet potato curry?

Yeah we have transport at weddings Usually big buses too.

No big plans for me this year....such a crappy holiday anyways!
Old 12-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't want to do anything for NYE this year...I went out last year and this year I want to plop on the couch and stay there all night!

Old 12-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Elite Fan

Sounds like an awesome plan!
Old 12-28-2016, 08:24 PM
Elite Fan

doing nothing is wonderful

I'm going to make lasagna tomorrow and have it New years eve...it's better after it sits a day or two anyway. I like your ideas though Ekua

Yea I'm really looking forward to being a guest at this wedding and not running it!

edited to comment on now Debbie Reynolds passing one day after her daughter Carrie Fisher my generation grew up with Debbie so she is a large part of our collective memory and Carrie is my age....(actually a little younger) and if like my you are a real Star Wars fan and a big Carrie fan this has been a sad couple days.

Carrie wrote a great memoir ish book Postcards From the Edge that was made into a not great movie,,,, although Meryl Streep as Carrie and Shirley Maclaine ( loosely playing Debbie and Carrie) but Carries real tour de force was her one woman show ( talking about her life) called Wishful Drinking....is so witty and funny and amazingly entertaining....here is the trailer for that

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/tvshowbiz/video-1382843/Carrie-Fisher-stars-one-woman-Wishful-Drinking-trailer.html"]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/tvs...g-trailer.html

Last edited by podmom; 12-29-2016 at 08:07 AM
Old 12-29-2016, 09:55 AM
Elite Fan

came back to drop this that I posted on the Star Wars thread remembering Carrie and now Debbie.....Carries passing is really touching me....I think because I really admired her genius in writing and just how darn funny she was plus she is my age and I have been facing so much mortality of late

here it is...my tribute

knew the Star Wars board would be remembering Carrie and now Debbie I am feeling her and now Debbie's loss like you all and much of the world is. Sum1 memorialized Carrie perfectly. She was brilliant, complex,brave and so funny! I am 63 so she was of my generation and I enjoyed watching her become the true genius that she became. When I saw her show on HBO Wishful Drinking I became a real fan. If you haven't seen it you must! Her mother Debbie was on my TV constantly as a kid. ( Jerry memorialized her so well) Her movies/TV shows/guest appearances you name it she was a big presence back then. She was amazing and when on Carson or shows of the like she did many spot on impressions. She was a born entertainer with many gifts. Postcards From the Edge was a great book by Carrie (and a so so movie although the acting was good something just didn't click) and after reading that book and following both their careers and lives it seems somehow fitting ( although very very tragic for the family ) that they would go together. I think they would both smile ironically at Debbie passing a day after Carrie and in a way "upstaging" Carrie. I can see them laughing together about that. These two women...mother and daughter were such bright stars. They will be missed and remembered always.

Last edited by podmom; 12-29-2016 at 10:01 AM
Old 12-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Elite Fan

double post sorry