Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2023, 08:51 AM
Dedicated Fan

The whole thing is completely disheartening. I know there's a lot of actors out there who can financially weather the storm easily. *cough* Tom Cruise is one that comes to mind *cough*, but what about others who don't make millions per gig. Tons that are still struggling just to get by. Writers included with this.
I'm not even going to get started on the viewers who are looking for new content come fall and now won't get it.
I think now is the perfect time for me to get outside more. Do some hiking, walking, try to get back into shape etc..
Gabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 09:20 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I haven't paid super close attention to what the actors are demanding, however, I'd stand behind them because it's the SAG members who aren't making the required minimum to get healthcare or whatever that need to be taken care of not the mega actors. But I appreciate that they're all striking in solidarity.

I think it was Sydney Sweeney who said that she can't afford to not work for six months right now. And this is a girl who has been in multiple hit tv shows and a few movies and even she doesn't have the income to be out of work for six months. I think that you have the mega actors but then you have those working actors that still have to pay for wardrobe for events and publicists and managers, etc. because they're just big enough to need all that support but they don't truly make all that much money. They'll always be invited to events, get free **** but their actual income isn't that great.

I would consider Taylor to be a working actor. I have no idea what his net worth is but he's essentially been in the business for almost 20 years and doesn't live extravagantly but even he had to sell off his LA condo to be able to afford to finish his Austin home.
worthyoflove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I think the biggest sticking points are about revenue from streaming, as it cannot be calculated the same way as syndicated reruns are and AI use of image. Studios want to pay a very small fee to the actors to use their likeness in anyway they want forever. Netflix’s CEO made over 40 million dollars last yr and doesn’t want his slice of the pie to be affected by paying the actors and writers. It’s really sad that a handful of execs are holding thousands of people’s jobs and lives hostage by not even being willing to be reasonable to their demands.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:03 PM
Master Fan

I'm not really sure how I feel about all of this. I work in one of the most underpaid professions in the country so.... But I don't know the ins and outs of what they are asking for so I just don't comment in general.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:53 PM
Passionate Fan

Ron Perlman posted a story the other day calling out the exec who made the comment about holding out negotiations until the fall hoping people become desperate and will agree to lesser terms. I thought it was spot on and from what I can tell the execs of these studios and streaming services are making hand over fist money but do not want any wealth to trickle down to the people that are helping them make these fortunes.

I’m surprised some of the actors/actresses have to constantly work to make ends meet but after paying their managers, publicists, assistants and so on there isn’t much left over afterwards to live off indefinitely . There is a misperception that all actor/actresses are incredibly wealthy but the strike is showing that not to be true at all.
Crazy4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:13 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It's not surprising a lot of the more mid level actors/actresses that have a decent social media following are turning into part-time influencers. It would help pay the bills.

I think the "we'll hold out until they lose their houses" comment was made about the writers and not the actors, but I could be wrong. The writer's strike I believe the networks expect to go until late late this year if not into next year. Actors were having productive negotiations initially. I don't think the actors strike will go as long.

Another disturbing thing I heard was that some of the supporting/background actors were basically signing their likeness away. And with AI it would only take a limited amount of time they'd have to be paid to be on set while they could recreate their image for certain things and not have to pay them. That is something SAG is fighting for as well. Can you imagine making a living off of being paid for a day on set or three days on set and instead you're brought in, do a couple scenes in the proper wardrobe and then the next four days they might need you on a set for a scene they just digitally put you in. That's not fair.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:25 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
I would consider Taylor to be a working actor. I have no idea what his net worth is but he's essentially been in the business for almost 20 years and doesn't live extravagantly but even he had to sell off his LA condo to be able to afford to finish his Austin home.
I didn't know he had a condo in LA. I thought his condo was in Austin while he was building his house.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:34 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4books (View Post)
Ron Perlman posted a story the other day calling out the exec who made the comment about holding out negotiations until the fall hoping people become desperate and will agree to lesser terms. I thought it was spot on and from what I can tell the execs of these studios and streaming services are making hand over fist money but do not want any wealth to trickle down to the people that are helping them make these fortunes.

I’m surprised some of the actors/actresses have to constantly work to make ends meet but after paying their managers, publicists, assistants and so on there isn’t much left over afterwards to live off indefinitely . There is a misperception that all actor/actresses are incredibly wealthy but the strike is showing that not to be true at all.
Especially if most of these actors/actresses live in or around LA. That place is not a cheap place to live in. Neither is NYC. Those places will bleed you dry. Hopefully Bozeman is a much cheaper place to live in. I don't know what the taxes are in Montana, both shopping and property tax wise but it's got to be cheaper than both LA and NY. Here in upstate NY, shopping for food there's no tax, but for clothing it's 4% and for everything else it's 8%.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:21 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbycat (View Post)
I didn't know he had a condo in LA. I thought his condo was in Austin while he was building his house.
He owned a condo in both Austin and LA (or Marina Del Ray to be specific). He bought it prior to filming True Detective in LA (earlier in the year) and his friend Neil helped renovate it before it was sold. He didn't keep it for that long after True Detective was done filming, maybe a few years and offloaded it while finishing the house in Austin.

This was the area he was always spotted in LA and the infamous Rachel brunch wasn't far from his condo.

https://www.realtytoday.com/articles...ey-705-000.htm

FYI, these were the images that were attached to the property when he bought it, so even though there's a motorcycle in it, it's probably not his but the previous owners.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:33 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by elherts (View Post)
I'm not really sure how I feel about all of this. I work in one of the most underpaid professions in the country so.... But I don't know the ins and outs of what they are asking for so I just don't comment in general.
You absolutely are underpaid! I’ll stand with you on that any day of the week and twice on Sundays. It’s embarrassing how little we pay educators.

I saw someplace that to qualify for insurance with SAG you have to make a minimum of 26,000 a yr. More actors don’t qualify than do. A-List actors fetch large paychecks, but they are a small minority of all the actors. Think 1%.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:51 PM
Passionate Fan

Teachers are absolutely underpaid and under appreciated!! I don’t understand the mentality of vilifying educators and blaming them for children’s bad behavior. Parents have a responsibility to teach their children right from wrong and how to be good humans and I’ve never expected any of my children’s teachers to do anything but teach what is expected of them. I do, however, appreciate their ability to teach my children all the things that I never could and for having the patience of a thousand saints while doing it.

Was Taylor’s apartment a studio? It looks like there’s a bed behind the one bookcase.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:01 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4books (View Post)
Teachers are absolutely underpaid and under appreciated!! I don’t understand the mentality of vilifying educators and blaming them for children’s bad behavior. Parents have a responsibility to teach their children right from wrong and how to be good humans and I’ve never expected any of my children’s teachers to do anything but teach what is expected of them. I do, however, appreciate their ability to teach my children all the things that I never could and for having the patience of a thousand saints while doing it.

Was Taylor’s apartment a studio? It looks like there’s a bed behind the one bookcase.
I *think* it was originally one bedroom and it was remodeled to be two. Somewhere, there was an article about it. One time we saw a video of him in the kitchen. It was a private video for Melanie, Marcus’ wife, wishing her happy birthday.
Old 07-19-2023, 03:04 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

So I'm not now 100% sure that they finished filming...

This was from a post from an extra on the set of American Primeval who was talking about what it's like to be a working background actor. He obviously has the Writers Strike and SAG strike mixed up or has his facts wrong but he indicates that filming was halted.

This might make sense why one of the actors said "see you in the fall..." in some of those "wrap party" photos. Maybe they didn't finish.

Quote:
"I was on the set of American Primeval for exactly 3 hours when the production was shut down due to the writers strike. The following week I was informed the Screen Actors Guild was also on strike. I was truly disappointed but needed to know the real reasons behind the strike."
Old 07-19-2023, 04:25 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for your kind words about educators ladies. It's nice to be appreciated. Especially in an expensive state like NJ, as a single/divorced woman, it's not easy.

I read somewhere that writers, on like a tv show, make about $70,000. That's certainly not enough to feed and house a family in LA.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:08 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
So I'm not now 100% sure that they finished filming...

This was from a post from an extra on the set of American Primeval who was talking about what it's like to be a working background actor. He obviously has the Writers Strike and SAG strike mixed up or has his facts wrong but he indicates that filming was halted.

This might make sense why one of the actors said "see you in the fall..." in some of those "wrap party" photos. Maybe they didn't finish.

If that’s the case then this won’t be released sooner like we’d hoped. I wonder how they got behind schedule? Taylor’s injury? Weather? I wouldn’t think they had much more to shoot since they’re were so close to their end date.
Reply   Post New Thread