Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I can't complain about any of his bromances. David & Neal and their acoustic performance.
I'm not complaining either, I love them. Cookmann definitely being one of my faves, love the acoustic shows they've been doing together.

Quote:
There is a lot of energy in 'The Last Goodbye'.
True. It shows that mid-tempo songs aren't the only thing he can do.

Quote:
They do. I'm listening to 'Blue October' right now and there might be a few songs that David could cover and make great.
I'm not familiar with the band. Any specific songs you'd like to hear David cover?

--

David mentioned sound checking Prince's "Purple Rain" in the VH1 video. How totally and utterly mind-blowing would it be?? Even though it's really long, true, but still it would be pure brilliance.

YouTube - Prince - Purple Rain Lyrics Full Version

(I went ahead and updated the OP. )
Old 06-15-2011, 05:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Cookmann definitely being one of my faves, love the acoustic shows they've been doing together.
They've all been amazing.
Quote:
True. It shows that mid-tempo songs aren't the only thing he can do.
David can do anything.
Quote:
I'm not familiar with the band. Any specific songs you'd like to hear David cover?
Not sure. I keep changing my mind. Listening to some of them again though so I'll see which song would work. They sound kind like soft pop/rock? You know how I am with genres, lol.

Quote:
David mentioned sound checking Prince's "Purple Rain" in the VH1 video. How totally and utterly mind-blowing would it be?? Even though it's really long, true, but still it would be pure brilliance.
That would be amazing. Thanks for the vid too, I'm going to have to re-listen. Oh and thanks for the update.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
They've all been amazing.
Those two just create magic together.

Quote:
David can do anything.
True fact.

Quote:
Not sure. I keep changing my mind. Listening to some of them again though so I'll see which song would work. They sound kind like soft pop/rock? You know how I am with genres, lol.
Haha, well that gives an idea of the genre. If you find a good song of theirs that you'd love David to cover, remember to post here.

Quote:
That would be amazing. Thanks for the vid too, I'm going to have to re-listen. Oh and thanks for the update.
Yeah, it would be kinda epic. I think he could do something really wonderful with that song. And I'm sure they'd find a way to shorten it a bit if it's too long for a concert.

Lately David's been asked about doing covers on tour and he's been talking about how they did a lot of 80s pop/rock songs on the last tour (which were all awesome!) and now he wants to change it up. I'm really curious as to what kind of songs the guys will pick for the future shows/tour (assuming they're still gonna do some covers too).
Old 06-17-2011, 05:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Haha, well that gives an idea of the genre. If you find a good song of theirs that you'd love David to cover, remember to post here.
I will do that.

Quote:
Yeah, it would be kinda epic. I think he could do something really wonderful with that song. And I'm sure they'd find a way to shorten it a bit if it's too long for a concert.

Lately David's been asked about doing covers on tour and he's been talking about how they did a lot of 80s pop/rock songs on the last tour (which were all awesome!) and now he wants to change it up. I'm really curious as to what kind of songs the guys will pick for the future shows/tour (assuming they're still gonna do some covers too).
David is great to figuring out how to shorten songs and still have that impact. Did a great job on Idol with the time constraints, for example.

Ooh, curious to know in what way he'll go to change things up. Rap songs? Kidding, kidding.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
David is great to figuring out how to shorten songs and still have that impact. Did a great job on Idol with the time constraints, for example.
I totally agree. And good thing he wouldn't have to shorten it to a minute and 40 seconds on tour. I'm sure there are a minute or two of instrumental parts they could cut off if need be. (I'm not even sure if it was necessary to shorten it, I mean the band loves to jam, let them do it. )

Quote:
Ooh, curious to know in what way he'll go to change things up. Rap songs? Kidding, kidding.
Haha, rap would be really interesting to hear. But yeah, I should actually go back to those videos and see if he specified (I'm a bad fan for not remembering ). I think it would be cool if he did some current pop songs. Like what he already did with Rolling in the Deep. I think his voice that is very distinctively rock could really give songs like that a very interesting edge.

On that vein, I was just listening to Bruno Mars' "Grenade" and I think it could be a really awesome song for David to cover. Bruno's got much higher and poppish voice than David so it would be great to hear it in David's range and tone. And the lyrics are right up his alley, very angsty.

YouTube - Bruno Mars - Grenade [AUDIO]
Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I was listening to this song today and I can't believe it hasn't been suggested yet. I'd love to hear David do his version of Duran Duran's "Ordinary World". Maybe he could rock it up a bit?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

How did I forget this thread? David singing that Bruno song would fun to hear. It's a very catchy song.

I love Duran Duran. Great suggestion! I remember hearing and loving the song. David can Cookify the song a bit or just sing it straight out like that. I think I'd prefer him to Cookify the song.

Also, with REM breaking up. I'm curious to what song of theirs David could rock.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I think David could totally rock the Bruno song. Thematically it's right up his alley and I'd love to hear a rocked up version of it.

Quote:
I love Duran Duran. Great suggestion! I remember hearing and loving the song. David can Cookify the song a bit or just sing it straight out like that. I think I'd prefer him to Cookify the song.
I'd love to hear a Cookiefied version too. Maybe a little bit "tighter", you know? Like what he did to TWIK. It's pretty loyal to the original but has a bit more oomph.

Quote:
Also, with REM breaking up. I'm curious to what song of theirs David could rock.
I love "Everybody Hurts". I could see him nail it in the similar vein as "Drive".

---

Andy retweeted his girlfriend tweet:

Quote:
jensuenye: @thedavidcook and the boys should definitely cover Wilson Phillips "Hold On" on tour. I'm just sayin'.
17 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone
Thoughts?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

What does TWIK stand for again? I can't believe I'm drawing a blank.

David could rock 'Everybody Hurts'. 'Losing My Religion' is one of my favorites too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Killer (View Post)
Thoughts?
I'm listening to the song right now. I actually kinda want to hear it.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

The World I Know.

Quote:
David could rock 'Everybody Hurts'. 'Losing My Religion' is one of my favorites too.
I was thinking about Losing My Religion too. I think David could rock either one.

Quote:
I'm listening to the song right now. I actually kinda want to hear it.
Haha, it would definitely be interesting. xD But who knew he could make ABMB work so why not this one?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

If I could choose between the two, I'd go for 'Losing My Religion'. Or maybe go for a less familiar/popular song? A lot of people can be touchy about covers.

Quote:
Haha, it would definitely be interesting. xD But who knew he could make ABMB work so why not this one?
Exactly. Though that particular song seems like an even harder song to convert to rock, lol.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_Symmetry (View Post)
If I could choose between the two, I'd go for 'Losing My Religion'. Or maybe go for a less familiar/popular song? A lot of people can be touchy about covers.
Those two songs are definitely the biggest hits of the band. I'm not actually a fan so I have to admit I'm not familiar with their other songs. You are right about covers of well known songs (although David pretty much always nails them ). What other song would you suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_Symmetry (View Post)
Exactly. Though that particular song seems like an even harder song to convert to rock, lol.
Yeah, it's really pop. And so 90s too, I mean just look at the video. xD But if he likes challenges, this song would definitely be one.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

I love R.E.M.'s 'The One I Love'. I can see David singing it.

And also 'Finest Worksong'.

Quote:
Yeah, it's really pop. And so 90s too, I mean just look at the video. xD But if he likes challenges, this song would definitely be one.
Ahaha, the video made me laugh. 90's is right! David is the master at transforming covers so I actually think he can do it.

Though I'm curious to hear David sing it close to the original too.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the videos! I watched/listened to them and I could definitely see David do those type of songs. Great suggestions!

Quote:
Ahaha, the video made me laugh. 90's is right! David is the master at transforming covers so I actually think he can do it.

Though I'm curious to hear David sing it close to the original too.
I'm sure he can transform anything. Close to the original would be funny and interesting, though.

And speaking of the 90's!

Quote:
On his last tour, David did several covers of semi-obscure '80s tunes, but this time, he says he'll stick to "songs that were more on the influential side for me," adding, "It'll probably be more '90s-related."

Source
Awesome! Any guesses what songs those might be? Since he said they'll be more on the influential side for him, looks like they'll be something already close to his own style. I mean, 90's post-grunge rock/alternative is pretty much the background he comes from. And I love it.

Though I'm hoping that maybe on the next tour he'll do some cool songs from the 00's.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Glad you like those suggestions. David can rock anything really, as he proved since AI.

Quote:
And speaking of the 90's!
I saw that in the other thread! I can't even guess right now. I love some 90's songs but their names are escaping me at the moment.

How about we look up some 90's hits and make some guesses?

Quote:
Though I'm hoping that maybe on the next tour he'll do some cool songs from the 00's.
When he's done with the 90's he can always move up a decade. =)