Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2020, 12:56 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslpsh (View Post)
The Vincent one is interesting to me because he goes into the behind the scenes as to why the show got cancelled. He says the exec of ABC (probably Brian Frons) put his hand into stories, and kept pushing out people like Agnes and Lorraine who knew the show. He said Frons basically made one bad decision after another for 9 years (Frons took over ABCD in 2002) until it was cancelled.
Wasn't that hard to figure out. At the time I don't get why they wouldn't just get rid of Frons since he was the one ruining all the shows so it was easy to see they got cancelled mostly cause of him (and soaps just being an outdated thing of the past) I guess he had too much power for anyone to do anything about him.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It would just be a nice surprise if they could write the wrong of cancelling this show.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Charmed
Castle

^I second that.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:46 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Soaps aren't outdated to me. I mean they were using cellphones, before those really took off. I think that they keep up with the times. Though they don't include I think politics much if at all in their storylines it seems, so we're not seeing someone portray Don Trump on a soap, which I think would be fascinating to watch someone do that on a soap opera like other actors have done in films such as Anthony Hopkins in "Nixon" that would not be a parody, but a serious portrayal of this U.S. president.

I have seen on YouTube scenes of Jonathan Lavery & I guess I'm wondering how a "brain tumor" causes someone to beat up people & commit domestic violence. I haven't seen Ryan's family much in episodes of this show yet.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^ Well that's been my issue with the way brain tumors have been handled for most of the Soaps... it seems writers use that excuse to have characters acting crazy and evil without facing a real consequence so I'm over it.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:56 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

When I say outdated I mean how they always write people of color and women like it's the 1950's. Or other things like usually writing women to have no life or story outside of men that treat them like crap, pairing women with their rapists, etc. There is so much racist and sexist writing on soaps, especially with the backstage politics. To each their own, I'm just being realistic and stating facts about why most soaps have been cancelled and are on their last legs.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:21 AM
Loyal Fan

You're not wrong in that soaps still do that stuff, but as outdated and messed up as it might be to us, you see things like Twilight and 50 Grey's take off in popularity, which is basically the same sensibility.

Back when soaps were at their prime, they were really the only shows where you could get a serialized format. Most of primetime back then, aside from night time soaps, were stand alone shows, not a continuing story.

Now we have continuing stories in all sorts of shows. There are so many more options with streaming and cable. I've said this before, but I think AMC ended just a few years later, they could've easily transitioned to the streaming platform. I do agree though they would have better chance of surviving if they got with the times.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

I really wish this show had of continued. I never saw full episodes of the web ones.
Emily
Old 06-07-2020, 10:56 AM

I stayed up last night probably too late watching episodes from 1999. David was hate to say it sleazy back then. Wanting Gillian to sleep with him, for more money to give to Ryan. Unsure why Ryan needed to know about that, but he wasn't happy.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:08 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I've always hated David, he was a complete psychopath. One of the worst things about him was when he became completely OBSESSED with Dixie.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:27 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
I stayed up last night probably too late watching episodes from 1999. David was hate to say it sleazy back then. Wanting Gillian to sleep with him, for more money to give to Ryan. Unsure why Ryan needed to know about that, but he wasn't happy.
Just wait until AMCFlashback gets to the infamous "Libidizone" story of November 2000 with Dr. David. Like Butterfly85 said, that Dixie obsession is when he really goes off the rails.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:44 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstool Prophet (View Post)
I really wish this show had of continued. I never saw full episodes of the web ones.
Here's the online series
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...HVtrLKgprdarvn
Old 06-17-2020, 02:15 AM
Loyal Fan

I was going through some shows on youtube, and I didn't know Brain McKnight had sung on AMC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whOSJjUU5mk&t=25m35s

That's one of my favorite songs of his too
Old 06-17-2020, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly85 (View Post)
I've always hated David, he was a complete psychopath. One of the worst things about him was when he became completely OBSESSED with Dixie.
We disagree. He did good some deeds in his run on this show. His infatuation with Dixie was perhaps over the top though.

Last edited by canflam; 06-17-2020 at 03:12 AM
Old 06-17-2020, 02:33 AM
Loyal Fan

David practically became David Frankenstein by the end of the show, teasing everyone back from the dead. I wouldn't have minded though if Gillian would've actually been alive. Babe could have stayed dead. I did like them bringing back Stuart, though.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread