Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 02:45 AM
Part-Time Fan

Love gen 1, I need to rewatch it soon enough <3

add me please
Old 04-08-2012, 01:35 AM
Loyal Fan

Gen 1 doesnt get enough love on here. Where the Gen 1 stans at? Gen 1 has some of the best Skins characters: Tony, Effy, Cassie, Chris.
Franky/Matty, Sid/Cassie, Effy/Freddie, Sid/Tony, Freddie/Cook, Rich/Alo, Naomi/Emily, Franky/Grace
One of Franky's biggest stans.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Zero (View Post)
Gen 1 doesnt get enough love on here.
Perhaps because it doesn't get enough analysis.

Of all the generations of Skins, it's the deepest and most artful -- a whole second level that's normative rather than descriptive is developed by surreal symbolism. It's far from subtle, but a viewer's free to ignore it -- and most viewers do, sadly.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Total Fan

I think most people love gen 1, no matter how they feel about the next 2 gens. It's just its been a long time since it was on air. I think the gen 1 boards might liven up if s7 happens.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 AM
Extreme Fan

I love gen 1 and overall think it was the strongest and had the most genuine friendships. But didn't the Skins board get created when Gen 2 had just started/about to start?? So all attention kind of fell on the new gang. I don't know because I wasn't on FF back then :/ But gen 1 has been off air for so long so I can see why it doesn't get discussed as much. This board was here while Gen 2 and 3 were actually airing on tv so I think that's why they get discussed more.

| Aimee
Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 AM
Loyal Fan

It's the generation-long story arc

Right. When Skins has been on FF's "TV shows past" list for two years, and all three generations are being watched only on DVDs and YouTube, and the poor mods are struggling to make monthly posting quotas ... gen 1 will be what people are still watching and posting about most.

Gen 1 has structure. It has an artfully developed generation-long story-arc that begins to be evident in the difference in moral tone between s1e1 and s1e2, when the first hint of redemption comes in with Alan the cabbie. BE and JB knew exactly where they were going and pretty much how the would get there in gen 1; the idea had been in JB's head a long time. In the subsequent generations, they were winging it; some great characters, some fascinating relationships, some neat episode story-arcs, but no carefully developed generation-long story-arc. The endings of gens 2 and 3 are foreshadowed occasionally, but not built up to steadily in the way that gen 1's ending is; in the subsequent generations, the writers seem to have had a rough idea of where they were going, but not of how they would get there, until the endings were upon them, and forced them to improvise.

That, and Skins never again got a character so subtly complex as Tony, or an actor so good at subtlety as Nick Hoult.

Last edited by Finnegan; 04-18-2012 at 02:03 AM
Old 04-18-2012, 03:08 AM
Elite Fan

^ hear, hear. there will always be a new generation who hasn't been introduced to the show, and gen one is where they'll probably start.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Gen 1 has structure. It has an artfully developed generation-long story-arc that begins to be evident in the difference in moral tone between s1e1 and s1e2, when the first hint of redemption comes in with Alan the cabbie. BE and JB knew exactly where they were going and pretty much how the would get there in gen 1; the idea had been in JB's head a long time. In the subsequent generations, they were winging it; some great characters, some fascinating relationships, some neat episode story-arcs, but no carefully developed generation-long story-arc. The endings of gens 2 and 3 are foreshadowed occasionally, but not built up to steadily in the way that gen 1's ending is; in the subsequent generations, the writers seem to have had a rough idea of where they were going, but not of how they would get there, until the endings were upon them, and forced them to improvise.
This

The board isn't as active as the others for the reasons TheOnlyException has listed, but there's still so much respect and love for gen1 wherever I go.
★ Mel • born backwardscredit;
Old 04-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Loyal Fan

Probably the main reason for lack of Gen 1 appreciation is the fact that it is old, i guess out with the old and in with the new.
Franky/Matty, Sid/Cassie, Effy/Freddie, Sid/Tony, Freddie/Cook, Rich/Alo, Naomi/Emily, Franky/Grace
Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Loyal Fan

Can I be added to the fans list please? Gen 1 will always be my favorite.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:26 AM
Master Fan

Adding you
Old 04-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Zero (View Post)
Probably the main reason for lack of Gen 1 appreciation is the fact that it is old, i guess out with the old and in with the new.
i think the fans just mostly grew up and have no more time for the internets.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Loyal Fan

Or that, never though about that. I wonder if some Skins fans every make a life decision based off something that happened in skins. For example, someone decides to chase their companion across the world at hopes of regaining their relationship.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Fan

Can I be added? I might already be but I don't remember if I posted in here back when I was watching it.
I actually watched generation 1 in the fall of 2010 and I just fell in love with all the characters. I couldn't go on to watching generation 2. Actually, just last week I decided to finally give gen 2 a chance (after a year and a half of rewatching my gen 1 dvds LOL) and I ended up finishing it. But gen 1 will ALWAYS be my fave. Gen 2 wasn't as bad as I thought it was, mainly because Cook just saved the entire show for me. I could care less about most of the other characters and with gen 1 I was interested in every character. They were more likeable IMO.
Anyway, I really hope that movie or episode thing for series 7 works out

Yeah I'm no angel I'm just me
But I will love you
endlessly
tumblr
Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Master Fan

Adding you