Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Elite Fan

The books are wonderful. You could read them rather quickly. I read one in four hous and the other two both of a saturday afternoon.
I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.
I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.
I.I.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soz
The girls see the Pants as "magical", although they aren't magical in the fantasy sense. What makes the Pants magical to each character and to the group as a whole?
Like some of you have already said, I think the pants keep them connected. Sharing the pants is almost like sharing their experiences, and when they're wearing them, they feel close to their friends. I think at one point Lena even says something about how having the pants makes her feel like she has a piece of her friends with her.

Quote:
Why do you think the author uses pants as the traveling item? Do you think she could have used a different item? If so, what else could she have used? If not, why?
I think some of it has to do with the fact that they can be worn anywhere and stay close to the girl who has them all the time. In addition, the way that jeans get worn in makes them feel personal, and with the traveling pants, so does the various writing/blood/whatever that ends up on them. Using the pants as the item works really well because each of the girls can put their own mark on them in a way that they wouldn't be able to if the item were something like a piece of jewelry, which you can't really personalize.

Quote:
Of the four characters, which one did you relate to the most, which one best mirrors you? Why? Which one would mostly likely be a friend of yours? Why?
I'm kind of a mix between Carmen and Lena, strange as that may sound. I think
the same way Carmen does, but I'm not as verbally combative as she is. I'm more Lena-like in that sense. I could totally relate to the scenes at the breakfast table with her grandfather when she feels awkward because they don't have anything to say to one another; I've had enough similar experiences that I can feel her pain.

Of all the girls though, Tibby would probably be most likely to be my friend. I'd get a kick out of her attitude, and she'd be the friend I would go to when I just wanted to complain or express my contempt for something.

Quote:
Lena flies to Bridget to be a "mother" for her in her time of need. Of the three friends, why do you think it was Lena who acted as the "mother"? Why did Bridget send the letter that made Lena go to Baja in the first place to Lena instead of Carmen or Tibby?
Lena's the most logical, and in some ways the most mature of the group. Bridget was feeling confused and out of control, and I think she knew that Lena could help her calm down and figure out what she was feeling.

Quote:
Towards the end of the novel Tibby looks at Tucker through Bailey's eyes and realizes that she doesn't know why she had a crush on him in the first place. How does Bailey see Tucker?
She just doesn't see what the big deal is. She's not impressed by his slick appearance, and she doesn't see anything besides that thats worth obsessing over. When Tibby sees him through Bailey's eyes, she looks past the whole mystery man appeal and sees that he doesn't have anything else that draws her to him.
that a broken heart is blind
Old 06-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Master Fan

Great points everyone!

What was your favorite part of the book?

I thought the most touching part was when Tibby went to the hospital to be with Bailey. I loved the idea that she would keep "playing" the game even when Bailey was gone.

What parts of the book would you have changed?

I felt like most of the letters went to Carmen. I wanted to see more letters to the other girls. Also, I wanted to hear more about what Carmen said to her Dad. Finally I wanted to know more about Lena's sister who seemed so outgoing.

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Old 06-05-2005, 03:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
K-Pop

The girls see the Pants as "magical", although they aren't magical in the fantasy sense. What makes the Pants magical to each character and to the group as a whole?

I think the pants symbolises their friendship and what is to come of the summer. The pants connects them all together, which in turn shares all their experiences during the summer.

Why do you think the author uses pants as the traveling item? Do you think she could have used a different item? If so, what else could she have used? If not, why?

Personally for me, I think it's because jeans are an everyday thing for girls these days and the author thought it would be easier for her audience to understand the pants going around, since everyday wears them all the time, but that's just me

Each of the four main characters learns something important during this summer, although the novel doesn't state exactly what those lessons are. What did each character learn about life and relationships? What did you learn from the characters?

Lena - I think she learned to let go a bit and try and be more outgoing. Sure, she's still shy, but after the summer was over, I felt she was more different than the beginning and she learn to let someone love her.

Carmen - I think she learned that change didn't necessary mean bad. Sure, she didn't like Lydia and her family, but I think Carmen learn she had to deal with them no matter the consequences. Also, I think she learned that running away doesn't solve anything.

Bee - I think Bee learned that relationships doesn't necessary mean they will end up perfectly and also, life doesn't necessary go the way that she plan that it would be.

Tibby - I think Tibby learned to more open and not stay with people that she thought was safe. Although, she thought Bailey was annoying in the beginning, Tibby learned to deal with Bailey and everything about her. She learned a lot from Bailey and not to judge people on their appearances.

Personally, I learned a lot from these characters, mostly on their friendship and how long it can last over a summer. I learned that you can't always judge people on their appearances and their personalities.

Of the four characters, which one did you relate to the most, which one best mirrors you? Why? Which one would mostly likely be a friend of yours? Why?

I think I relate to Lena, the most. I'm the type, who feels awkward at a function and doesn't know what to say. I think the one likely to be a friend of mine would probably be... hmm... I don't know. I think a mixture of the girls. That question is hard for me.

Lena and Bridget both fall in love over the summer, but neither relationship is ever fully developed, and each has to leave her newfound love behind. What do you think happens between Lena and Kostos, and Bridget and Eric?

Well, seeing that I have read the two other books of the series, I pretty know what happens to Lena and Kostos. As Bee and Eric, they are still open for love in the third book

Lena flies to Bridget to be a "mother" for her in her time of need. Of the three friends, why do you think it was Lena who acted as the "mother"? Why did Bridget send the letter that made Lena go to Baja in the first place to Lena instead of Carmen or Tibby?

I think because Lena is the calmer and understanding one out of the girls and that automatically means Bee can cling onto her when she has a problem. Lena is the type that would listen and be understanding at the same time.

Towards the end of the novel Tibby looks at Tucker through Bailey's eyes and realizes that she doesn't know why she had a crush on him in the first place. How does Bailey see Tucker?

Bailey sees someone, who thinks he is cooler than everyone else. She doesn't like the look of him and the way he acts. That is probably why Tibby in the end doesn't like him. Bailey probably thought the way his acting was just wrong in her books and his personality was plain boring.

When Carmen meets her dad's fiancé and her children, she assumes Lydia and her children are only worried about outside appearances. Why does she assume this and what truth does Carmen discover about them?

Carmen assumes this only because the family is just too perfect. With the blonde hair and blue eyes, she thought she was living in a world with perfect children. Also, Carmen is completely different to them, so she thought that they would hate her because of that, but Carmen was wrong about the family. They have their own faults as well. Such as Krista wanting to more than Carma and wanting her mother to let her have more freedom and Carma learns to become friends with Paul.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:25 AM
Master Fan

What was your favorite part of the book?

My favorite part was when Carmen called her dad to talk. It showed that underneath all that anger and 'invisibility' was a hurt girl who didn't understand what was happening.

What parts of the book would you have changed?

I thought the Lena skinnydipping and getting caught by Kostos was a bit cliche. I found both Eric and Kostos kind of boring and cookie cutter guys which I guess is okay since the book is about the girls but the guys just didn't make me want to root for the relationships at all.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Master Fan

Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of the boys either.

Here is a question from the book discussion pages:

The novel's settings are varied- Baja California, Greece, South Carolina, and Maryland. If you could spend a summer in one of these places, which would you choose? If you could spend a summer anywhere in the world, where would you go? Would you want your friends with you or would you rather travel solo?

I personally would of loved to spend the summer in Greece! I think that Lena wasted a lot of her time there by being solo and not trying to experience the culture. She was always by herself.

If I could spend a summer anywhere in the world.. hmm I would like to go to Hawaii or London. I have always wanted to see Hawaii and I think it would be fun to spend the whole summer outside. As for London I loved London when I studied there in college. So I would like to go back. I had to leave in June last time and it was just starting to get really beautiful. I loved all the museums, book stores, theaters, and parks. I would move to London in a heartbeat!

I think I would rather go solo. That way you can do exactly what you want! Meet new people When you travel with friends there is fighting and choosing what you would want to do.

What about you guys?

Old 06-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yay! Thanks for starting a thread dedicated to such an awesome book guys!

It's been a while since I read the first book so i'll come back and answer the questions later once i've had a chance to think about my answeres

Kim, I'm so glad you finally read it! *dances around* Have you read the sequels? Or seen the movie? I can't wait to see it! I think it comes out here in a couple of weeks!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

The novel's settings are varied- Baja California, Greece, South Carolina, and Maryland. If you could spend a summer in one of these places, which would you choose? If you could spend a summer anywhere in the world, where would you go? Would you want your friends with you or would you rather travel solo?

Definitely Greece. The thing I liked most about Lena's story was the setting, but I wish she had experienced it more.

I want to go to Italy and maybe even meet some of my relatives there. My significant other and I sort of have a plan, if we ever have enough money to do it. We want to go to Italy in May for the Giro d'Italia (like the Tour de France, only in Italy) and it's the perfect time because the summer rush hasn't begun yet.

I've also always wanted to go to the UK, Ireland, and Australia.

If I do travel to any of these places, I'll be going with my SO. We have so much in common and want to see a lot of the same things, so I don't think we would have any conflict over what to do or where to go. I've lived the traveling nightmare before with my dad and my step-mother and I'd never want to repeat that!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenindi
Yay! Thanks for starting a thread dedicated to such an awesome book guys!

It's been a while since I read the first book so i'll come back and answer the questions later once i've had a chance to think about my answeres

Kim, I'm so glad you finally read it! *dances around* Have you read the sequels? Or seen the movie? I can't wait to see it! I think it comes out here in a couple of weeks!
Jen Yeah I finally read it! I have only read the first one so far. I want to read the other ones I'm just trying to read the stuff I have at home right now

Soz Italy would be great!! hee add that to my list too

Old 06-07-2005, 03:44 AM
Master Fan

I'd choose Greece. It's the most exotic of the four locals. I'd spend the summer in the Orient and I'd take my husband and my 2 closest friends that I've known for years and years and their husbands. It's nice to visit places with people you know.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:49 AM
doy
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soz
The pants serve as a security blanket as it reminds them of their friends, their belief in each other and the unfallible bond that they share. It allows them to channel the strength they have within and do things they wouldn't normally do whenever they're alone or apart.

Quote:
Because pants are universal and legs do most of our traveling. And this is probably wrong but maybe because it covers up more than half of our limbs and bodies, so its presence is the most obvious out of all the accessories/clothings that we wear.

Quote:
Each of the four main characters learns something important during this summer, although the novel doesn't state exactly what those lessons are. What did each character learn about life and relationships? What did you learn from the characters?
Lena learns to open herself up and let new people in. Tibby learns to look beyond one's appearance and that death can take anyone. Carmen learns to see things outside her own point of view and from other people's perspective. And Bee learns that love isn't a game/sport where one can act impulsively.

Quote:
During these crises each girl needed advice from her friends that she did not really get, what advice would you have given them?
Oh man, I have nooo idea. I'd probably tell them to ignore all advice and just do it their way. Things eventually worked out, didn't they? Besides, if I was going through all these tough crap, the last thing I would want are cheesy words of wisdom about my dead loved ones being in a better place. Maybe I'd just tell them that I love them.

Quote:
I guess I can relate most to Tibby. I'm very bad when it comes to people and often get sidetracked by their outside appearance. It sucks

Quote:
Probably because Lena is the less judgemental of the sisterhood and she has the tendency to listen more than to rant or to trash-talk. What Bridget needed then was someone to just be with her and understand her.

Quote:
Bailey saw past the facade and saw that Tucker did not have any substance within him.

Quote:
When Carmen meets her dad's fiancé and her children, she assumes Lydia and her children are only worried about outside appearances. Why does she assume this and what truth does Carmen discover about them?
Lydia and her kids seem so superficially perfect that worrying about superficial matters is what they're likely to do. Carmen eventually learns that they aren't as perfect as she thought they were.

Quote:
Also, I know this isn't a discussion about the whole series, but I'm curious. Has anyone else read all of the books or made plans to do so?
I've read all three. I personally thought the first was the best of the three over-all. I mean, the other two had great individual storylines of their own, but this was the one that gripped me constantly.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Master Fan

I thought that this book was great I read it in one day. I wanted to read it before seeing the movie. I am now reading the second one and am enjoying that one as well.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doy
The pants serve as a security blanket as it reminds them of their friends, their belief in each other and the unfallible bond that they share. It allows them to channel the strength they have within and do things they wouldn't normally do whenever they're alone or apart.
That is a good point I never thought about it as a security blanket. Do you think that makes them bad then? Do you think it keeps them from growing up? Or do you think it is good that they keep that bond from the past?

Old 06-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k46
That is a good point I never thought about it as a security blanket. Do you think that makes them bad then? Do you think it keeps them from growing up? Or do you think it is good that they keep that bond from the past?

I think that it is good. It doesnt prevent them from growing up it just prevents them from growing up alone. I mean growing up is hard enough, they atleast know they will have some one to count on reguardless of anything that life throws at them. I think its good that it keeps them remembering their past. thats just IMO
Old 06-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Master Fan

Good point about growing up being hard.

I was at my step sister in laws baby shower today and it just hit me how much alike Carmen and I are. We both have issues with our father. My step mom was talking about how she was going to change our old rooms to guest rooms and she kept talking to her daughters telling them they could visit. She didn't say a thing to my sister or myself. My Dad even is called Grandpa by my step brothers kids. I wouldn't want my kids calling my step mom Grandma.

Did anyone else find themselves thinking of these characters and how alike you are after reading the books?

Closed Thread   Post New Thread