View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 03:46 AM
dive into you
Fan Forum Star

The girls see the Pants as "magical", although they aren't magical in the fantasy sense. What makes the Pants magical to each character and to the group as a whole?

I think the pants symbolises their friendship and what is to come of the summer. The pants connects them all together, which in turn shares all their experiences during the summer.

Why do you think the author uses pants as the traveling item? Do you think she could have used a different item? If so, what else could she have used? If not, why?

Personally for me, I think it's because jeans are an everyday thing for girls these days and the author thought it would be easier for her audience to understand the pants going around, since everyday wears them all the time, but that's just me

Each of the four main characters learns something important during this summer, although the novel doesn't state exactly what those lessons are. What did each character learn about life and relationships? What did you learn from the characters?

Lena - I think she learned to let go a bit and try and be more outgoing. Sure, she's still shy, but after the summer was over, I felt she was more different than the beginning and she learn to let someone love her.

Carmen - I think she learned that change didn't necessary mean bad. Sure, she didn't like Lydia and her family, but I think Carmen learn she had to deal with them no matter the consequences. Also, I think she learned that running away doesn't solve anything.

Bee - I think Bee learned that relationships doesn't necessary mean they will end up perfectly and also, life doesn't necessary go the way that she plan that it would be.

Tibby - I think Tibby learned to more open and not stay with people that she thought was safe. Although, she thought Bailey was annoying in the beginning, Tibby learned to deal with Bailey and everything about her. She learned a lot from Bailey and not to judge people on their appearances.

Personally, I learned a lot from these characters, mostly on their friendship and how long it can last over a summer. I learned that you can't always judge people on their appearances and their personalities.

Of the four characters, which one did you relate to the most, which one best mirrors you? Why? Which one would mostly likely be a friend of yours? Why?

I think I relate to Lena, the most. I'm the type, who feels awkward at a function and doesn't know what to say. I think the one likely to be a friend of mine would probably be... hmm... I don't know. I think a mixture of the girls. That question is hard for me.

Lena and Bridget both fall in love over the summer, but neither relationship is ever fully developed, and each has to leave her newfound love behind. What do you think happens between Lena and Kostos, and Bridget and Eric?

Well, seeing that I have read the two other books of the series, I pretty know what happens to Lena and Kostos. As Bee and Eric, they are still open for love in the third book

Lena flies to Bridget to be a "mother" for her in her time of need. Of the three friends, why do you think it was Lena who acted as the "mother"? Why did Bridget send the letter that made Lena go to Baja in the first place to Lena instead of Carmen or Tibby?

I think because Lena is the calmer and understanding one out of the girls and that automatically means Bee can cling onto her when she has a problem. Lena is the type that would listen and be understanding at the same time.

Towards the end of the novel Tibby looks at Tucker through Bailey's eyes and realizes that she doesn't know why she had a crush on him in the first place. How does Bailey see Tucker?

Bailey sees someone, who thinks he is cooler than everyone else. She doesn't like the look of him and the way he acts. That is probably why Tibby in the end doesn't like him. Bailey probably thought the way his acting was just wrong in her books and his personality was plain boring.

When Carmen meets her dad's fiancé and her children, she assumes Lydia and her children are only worried about outside appearances. Why does she assume this and what truth does Carmen discover about them?

Carmen assumes this only because the family is just too perfect. With the blonde hair and blue eyes, she thought she was living in a world with perfect children. Also, Carmen is completely different to them, so she thought that they would hate her because of that, but Carmen was wrong about the family. They have their own faults as well. Such as Krista wanting to more than Carma and wanting her mother to let her have more freedom and Carma learns to become friends with Paul.