Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

June Book of the Month: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Welcome to the June Book of the Month book discussion. There will be spoilers on this thread, so be careful. Also, there's no need to put spoiler warnings in your posts.

I'm pretty bad at coming up with questions to kick off a conversation. I saw some on a web site though.

The girls see the Pants as "magical", although they aren't magical in the fantasy sense. What makes the Pants magical to each character and to the group as a whole?

Why do you think the author uses pants as the traveling item? Do you think she could have used a different item? If so, what else could she have used? If not, why?

Each of the four main characters learns something important during this summer, although the novel doesn't state exactly what those lessons are. What did each character learn about life and relationships? What did you learn from the characters?

During these crises each girl needed advice from her friends that she did not really get, what advice would you have given them?

Of the four characters, which one did you relate to the most, which one best mirrors you? Why? Which one would mostly likely be a friend of yours? Why?

Lena and Bridget both fall in love over the summer, but neither relationship is ever fully developed, and each has to leave her newfound love behind. What do you think happens between Lena and Kostos, and Bridget and Eric?

Lena flies to Bridget to be a "mother" for her in her time of need. Of the three friends, why do you think it was Lena who acted as the "mother"? Why did Bridget send the letter that made Lena go to Baja in the first place to Lena instead of Carmen or Tibby?

Towards the end of the novel Tibby looks at Tucker through Bailey's eyes and realizes that she doesn't know why she had a crush on him in the first place. How does Bailey see Tucker?

When Carmen meets her dad's fiancé and her children, she assumes Lydia and her children are only worried about outside appearances. Why does she assume this and what truth does Carmen discover about them?

Also, I know this isn't a discussion about the whole series, but I'm curious. Has anyone else read all of the books or made plans to do so?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for starting the thread Soz! I will be back later tonight to post some of my thoughts.

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Old 06-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k46
Thanks for starting the thread Soz! I will be back later tonight to post some of my thoughts.
Yep, me too. I'm on my way out the door now, plus I need some time to think about my answers.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Absolute Fan

All right girly! Here I go!!

The girls see the Pants as "magical", although they aren't magical in the fantasy sense. What makes the Pants magical to each character and to the group as a whole?

\ I think these pants a magical beacause these pants keep these girls together when ever there apart it keeps them together! Plus all of the major event's happen in these pants such as meeting new people, falling in love, etc etc. Even though all the girls are apart they will alway's be near and close to each other through the pants

Why do you think the author uses pants as the traveling item? Do you think she could have used a different item? If so, what else could she have used? If not, why?

I think she uses them as a traveling item beacause they have every kinda of jeans people wear jeans all over the world people know what jeans are. I think jeans are great because the girls can wear them as they wear each other like the saying be in someone else shoes that's what the jeans are for the girls. I think she could have used alot of things but I think the jeans are great because each girl writes important mermories on the jeans something they will alway's have .

Each of the four main characters learns something important during this summer, although the novel doesn't state exactly what those lessons are. What did each character learn about life and relationships? What did you learn from the characters?

Let's see ok I'll just do this by character...
Carmen- Carmen learns alot through this books she learns about family and addicational family she learns that even though we all have mom and dad's they are people to and eve though they may be in different cities different livestyles they are still human and I think Carmen relaizes that both of her parents are moving on with each other and starting new lives. Also she learns to have a new family. I learned from Carmen well I learned how improtant family is that they still are human.

Bridget- Bridget learns about falling in love I think she also learns rejecion in this book she learns both sides of the story. I learned from Bridget something I aready know and have been though I saw alot of myself through her and me at 16.

Lena- Lena is my favorite character in the story she's so much like I use to be very shy of guy's and not letting people in. I think Lena learns when she goes the greece being away from home and her freind's and also finding her old family and the old values of her family. Also Lena learns about love

Tibby- Tibby the only one who thinks she's going to have the worst summer just staying at home working but she really meets someone who changes her life this girl teaches her about friendship, trusting people and death. She to me learns so much though this book . I can't say that I''ve been in her place.

During these crises each girl needed advice from her friends that she did not really get, what advice would you have given them? I think each girl gave amazng advice I wish my freind's and I were like this .

Of the four characters, which one did you relate to the most, which one best mirrors you? Why? Which one would mostly likely be a friend of yours? Why? I have to say I see all the girls in me I see some things when I was 16 and some even now. I can't say just one

Lena and Bridget both fall in love over the summer, but neither relationship is ever fully developed, and each has to leave her newfound love behind. What do you think happens between Lena and Kostos, and Bridget and Eric? I've read all 3 books so I'm going to keep quite!

Lena flies to Bridget to be a "mother" for her in her time of need. Of the three friends, why do you think it was Lena who acted as the "mother"? Why did Bridget send the letter that made Lena go to Baja in the first place to Lena instead of Carmen or Tibby? I don't rembmer this part..umm

Towards the end of the novel Tibby looks at Tucker through Bailey's eyes and realizes that she doesn't know why she had a crush on him in the first place. How does Bailey see Tucker?
As a ture friend
When Carmen meets her dad's fiancé and her children, she assumes Lydia and her children are only worried about outside appearances. Why does she assume this and what truth does Carmen discover about them?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I'll have to purchase this book and read it
Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I think the Pants give the girls confidence and self-assurance. They make the girls stronger because they believe in themselves more when they wear the Pants. Also, I think since the Pants are shared, it makes each girl feel like the others are there with her in spirit.

I think she chose pants because jeans are so popular; pretty much everyone wears jeans.

Bee learned about relationships and I think soccer camp taught her to be more of a team player.

Carmen learned that she could share her dad and while their relationship might be different, she wasn't going to lose him.

Lena learned that she was a lot like her grandfather and she learned how to open herself up a bit. Also, she realized that not all guys just liked her for her looks.

Tibby learned to see people as they really are and she became less judgmental.

During these crises each girl needed advice from her friends that she did not really get, what advice would you have given them?

I don't think I'd know what to say to Bee. My cousins lost their mom at a young age and I still don't know what advice I could give them.

I'd tell Carmen I've been there and I survived.

I'd love to advise Lena to get in touch with her feelings more, but that's hard to tell someone.

I think I'd just support Tibby and let her cry on my shoulder.

Of the four characters, which one did you relate to the most, which one best mirrors you? Why? Which one would mostly likely be a friend of yours? Why?

I related most to Carmen and Tibby. My dad is remarried and I've had a pretty bad relationship with my stepmother. But like Tibby, I have much younger (half) siblings and I've kind of been forgotten, I'm also prone to the same type of depression she suffered from, and I've lost a friend (more than one actually). I think Tibby would be most likely to be my friend. I have more in common with her than I do with the other girls.

Lena and Bridget both fall in love over the summer, but neither relationship is ever fully developed, and each has to leave her newfound love behind. What do you think happens between Lena and Kostos, and Bridget and Eric?

I've read the second book, so I know what happens with Lena and Kostos. And I know a bit about the third book from Amazon, but I don't want to spoil it for others.

Lena flies to Bridget to be a "mother" for her in her time of need. Of the three friends, why do you think it was Lena who acted as the "mother"? Why did Bridget send the letter that made Lena go to Baja in the first place to Lena instead of Carmen or Tibby?

I wondered about this when I was reading and I still haven't figured it out.

I think Bailey thinks Tucker is a poser. I also think Bailey realizes that there are better people out there for Tibby to be friends with or to have crushes on (like Brian!).

I think Carmen probably suffered from some prejudice in her life. Carmen discovers that they are more accepting than she thought they would be. I was really happy she became friends with Paul.

Also, I know this isn't a discussion about the whole series, but I'm curious. Has anyone else read all of the books or made plans to do so?

I'll answer my own question. I've read the second book and I'm now waiting to get the third one from the library.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Master Fan

Okay, I'm not very good with book discussions. I was never that great in English. I didn't mind the reading, but I hated the discussion. Just warning you.

The pants connect everyone while they are off doing their thing. It helps them share in each others stories.

There is something about a great fitting pair of pants/jeans that just makes you feel good.

Lena -- to open herself to people.

Bree -- sometimes getting what you want isn't what you thought it would be.

Carmen -- sometimes what you want isn't what you get.

Tibby -- to look beyond appearances.

Growing up is a process that can involve how you look at things/people or how you present yourself to them. It can be a painful process that will leave you changed, hopefully for the better.

I related to Carmen the most. Disappointment is hard to handle, especially when it's your disappointment about the people you love the most. I'd be friends with Tibby. She's sarcastic.

I've read the second book. Nothing happens with E/B. It' pretty much done at the end of the book.

Lena was the one to get the letter. She was the one with the means to get there.

Tucker is superficial.

When you're not happy and insecure it is easy to think the absolute worst of the people you feel threatened by. It give you an excuse not to socialize with them or get to know them.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Master Fan

Well part of me likes to think that they are magical. I mean a pair of pants that fits each of them perfectly Emotionally they are magical to the friends because they are a bit of each other that they can take with them. They tell us in the beginning of the book that these girls have never spent the summer away from each other and by using the same pants and the sending notes with them it is their way of brining a bit of their life spirit to the other I hope that made sense!

Well I think there were a few reasons.

One reason is it gives new meaning to walking a mile in someone else's place. In some ways that is how the pants act. They bring the other person's experiences to the girls.

Secondly because jeans are such a hard thing to find. Most people take a long time to find the perfect pair of jeans. So the fact that these jeans fit all the girls perfectly makes them more magical.

Finally I agree with the people who said they were popular so it was something that everyone could relate to.

hmm well I'll start with what I learned. That is that I want friends like this! I felt cheated by the fact that I have never had friends who were so close. I have always kept people at a distance. The book made me long for some great friends who would understand you and love you for your faults. I think the gift of friendship is the biggest lesson I took from this book. These girls have an amazing bond.

Now for what the characters learned:

Tibby learned the gift of life and the power of joy. I think she brought so much joy in Bailey's life by being her friend and not treating her differently. She was able to be touched by Bailey's spirit and touch her life. Also, having to deal with Bailey's death gives you a better appreciation for your own life and that of your family. I can't imagine how hard it must be to lose a friend or relative that young.

Carmen learned that her Dad will always love her. That she can be mad at him. I think she was so mad about his new family because she had been stuffing down her anger and fear towards him for so long. It takes a lot of courage to get past your fears of losing someone and be honest. I think they will have a stronger relationship because of it.

Lena learned to relax a little bit. She hides her insecurities behind shyness. It was nice to see her get out of that a bit. I still found it hard to feel for Lena in this book. I felt she had a lot more growing to do.

Bridget I think came to an understanding that she takes things too far. That she pushes herself too far. She has such emotional highs and lows. I think part of her was trying to run away from the fact that her mother is dead. If she stays busy enough she doesn't have to think about it. Again like Lena I think she has a lot more growing to do.

hmm I'll have to think about this one more.

I could relate to Carmen the most. Like her my parents are divorced and both are remarried with step kids. I had a so so relationship with my Dad. So I totally understood her anger at her father.

I would of liked to be friends most with Bridget who seemed so full of life. In second place Carmen because I understood her so well. Tibby I'm not sure. I don't think I could be friends with Lena at all.

Not sure.. hopefully nothing since I didn't really like either relationship I liked both of the boys. I just didn't like them with the girls. My favorite relationship was with Tibby and the boy who played video games. I think that is the most realistic relationship and I would be interested in learning more about that.

I think Lena is the most mature of the bunch. I think Bridget sent the letter to Lena for the same reason. Lena seems emotionally very stable and mature. Just the thing Bridget needed at the time.

hmm.. not sure I guess I would say a follower and not a leader. Not interesting. Not very smart. Since they spent the summer video taping people who were unusual in some ways maybe she saw Tucker as too ordinary for a more liberal thinking Tibby.

I think she would of hated them not matter what. She was threatened by them and thought she was losing her Dad. I think the whole situation was handled very badly by the father. He should of warned Carmen.

Ok.. now I have a question for you guys What did you think of the parents/Grandparents of the girls?

I really hated Tibby's parents. It seemed like they gave up a lot of their ideals and maybe I just felt sorry for Tibby but I don't think the way they treated her was fair. They spent much more time worrying about the younger kids. Which I understand in some ways you need to but it seemed to me they never bothered asking how she was. I felt like Tibby felt abandoned by them. Which made me sad.

I really love Lena's Grandparents. I loved when her Grandpa went over and beat up the other Grandpa for her honor I thought her Grandmother was really sweet.

I was really mad at Carmen's Dad. I think he should of told her about his engagement. He should of spent more time alone with Carmen. I really like her Mom from the few times we got to see her.

I wish we had seen more of Bridget's Dad.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Moderator Support Team

Old 06-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k46
Ok.. now I have a question for you guys What did you think of the parents/Grandparents of the girls?
I hated Tibby's parents too. Just because she's a teenager doesn't mean she's totally grown up, so they should be doing something with her. I also didn't like how they acted like she was just a built-in babysitter.

I wanted Carmen to get along with her mom better. I grew up with just my mom too and I wanted Carmen and Christina to be closer, like my mom and I are. I was really angry with Carmen's dad though. I don't know what else he expected after hiding his engagement from his daughter and letting her expect a normal summer with just the two of them spending time together.

I wanted Bee's dad to be more involved with her. It's not like his whole family died when his wife died!

I loved Lena's grandparents, especially her grandfather. The most interesting things about Lena's story were the Greek setting and the Greek people.

Also, I wanted the moms to get along better.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Master Fan

That is a good point about the mom's not getting along Soz. Since the girls friendship started with the parents it would of been nice if they still were friends themselves. But maybe that is part of the point of the book. That a friendship like the one the girls have is something you need to work on and nurture. Maybe something that will grow apart. That is why the pants are so important it helps them from growing apart.

aww Cindy don't worry babe the questions will make more sense once you read the book and you have all of June to read it!

Old 06-03-2005, 03:57 AM
Master Fan

It's more believable that the moms don't get along anymore. I was glad that they didn't. I didn't dislike or like any of the parents. I thought Lena's grandmother was a bit pushy. I was very annoyed with Carmen's dad but it was a good annoyed. We saw him through her eyes and I think she finally is seeing him as a real person with faults and stuff.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Elite Fan

I read all the books..

1) They are magical to the girls, IMO, because it's just another aspect of their friendship they can share. Although they are not together, they can still share their wonderful experiences over he summer by wearing the same pair of pants.

2) I think she uses pants b/c at least for me, pants/jeans are something every girl wears. I worry about how I look in them, etc, and I think it's something that works really well in the story. All these girls are different people with different "size" figuartively speaking I guess. And by using the pants, it proved they were all beautiful and different in the same way. I don't think she could have used anything different. Jeans are something you always love. I have a favorite pair, as do many people. So jeans I think are the only thing that could portray that kind of sentiment.

3) I think Lena learned to let go of things. SHe was so worried about having her heart broken that she sold herself short. She learned relationships could be worth taking risks to have. I think Bridget learned that life doesn't necessarily have to go her way or at the fast pace she's used to living it. I think Carmen learned that change is okay sometimes in life and that relationships can't always be perfect, since people aren't. I think simlarly Tibby learned that you can't judge people from how they seem. Bailey taugh her to see through what you saw through her questions and patience for them.

I learned a lot from them. Too many to name. But it was scary how much I could relate to them in regards to certain events and how they vocalized their feelinds towards them.

4)During these crises each girl needed advice from her friends that she did not really get, what advice would you have given them?[/B]

6) Lena and Kostos are meant to be, someething will happen.
I think Bridget and Eric are bound to meet again with their loves for soccer.

7) I think Lena acted as a mother because she can relate to her. Both of them are sort of different but it works out. Lena can't stand to love, whereas Bridget is almost too willing to love. I think in a way, you need someone who also needs you too. I think Bridget sent it to Lena because of that reason, and because Carmen and Tibby already had eachother. Whereas Lena and Bridget were "single".

8) Tucker?.. Ohhh okay. I think she sees him as a fake. He gels his hair all strangely.. And just basically tries to hide under his false fasade. Tibby realises she didn't have a crush on Tucker himself, more of wha she thought Tucker would be/ was.

9) Carmen thinks the family is sort of sugar coated. Everything is nice and perfect, from the strategically planned dinner to the suitable dinner conversations. In actuality, she finds out that they have their own skeletons in their closet; Lydia's ex-husband.
I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.
I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.
I.I.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

Wow.... There are some excellent comments in here.... some great discussion going on.... I will have to read the book... realistically, though, I probably won't as I'm stuck with all my required reading for the summer.

I wonder if the movie will parallel the book much????
Old 06-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Moderator Support Team

I am still waiting for my copy of the book.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread