Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Calvin/Paul James #1: Because who wouldn't want him as a brother?

Welcome to the 1st Paul James/Calvin Appreciation Thread!

Paul James portrays Calvin, an Omega Chi legacy who always knows exactly what to say
as his story changes from room to room, making it difficult to know the real Calvin.

A native of Washington, DC, Paul was raised in Maryland graduated with a BFA in Drama from Syracuse University. Paul was in the films "Cry Wolf," "The Architect,"
(with Anthony LaPaglia and Isabella Rosellini) and will soon be seen opposite Sarah Jessica Parker in "Spinning Into Butter."
He has also guest-starred on "Cold Case," the FOX pilot "One Big Happy," and the ABC pilot "Twenty Questions."

{PM faith grows old to be added or ask in the thread!}

1. faith grows old
2. ***BLONDIE***
3. Whordy
4. crazycait714
5. funfuzgirlstalkermagnet

Recent News

AfterElton.com: Congrats on the show getting picked up for another ten episodes. Were you surprised that you got picked up so quickly?
Paul James: I think when we started the energy behind the show was kind of amazing to begin with, so everyone's feeling was sort of, there's no way it's not going to get picked up. I would ask the director, “Can you foresee a way where it doesn't get picked up?” And then we're all sort of nervous ... but we all were like it should get picked up. When it did get picked up, there was a weight off everyone's shoulders.

AE: So many shows come out and sink beneath the waves so quickly, even sometimes after just one or two episodes, yet Greek turned out to be such a big hit almost immediately. All the downloads on iTunes for instance. Why do you think it has hit such a chord?
PJ: There hasn't been many shows that are about college, for some odd reason. There's been a couple like Undeclared, but Greek came out in the summer when there's not a lot of competition from network TV. Also I think that just the fact that it's about college, a lot of young kids are looking at it and anticipating that's what's going to be their future. And there's a lot of people who are older, you know, in their 20s and 30s who are looking back on it like that was my past.

AE: There's some in their 40s, as well.
PJ: Yeah. I mean my aunt is like 79 and she watches it, too.

AE: We're now four episodes into the season, Is there anything you can share with us about Calvin in the second half of the season?
PJ: Yeah, the guy that you saw coming out of the door with, Heath [Zack Lively], in the the fifth episode, the starts delving into their relationship more. You see them sort of relate, which is kind of fun.

AE: Does Calvin come out to his fraternity at some point?
PJ: Something happens in the tenth episode, the season finale, which has that in it. I can't give away that. But the tenth episode is full of, [it's] very dramatic and there's a lot of stuff going on. It's like the sh** hits the fan pretty much. And then next season we just sort of explore what the house means to Calvin.

AE: What would you like to see happen with Calvin and his relationship with Heath, and just Calvin in general?
PJ: Oh, man. I really enjoyed the first episode and the sixth episode because those were the episodes where it's not about him being gay. It just is an aspect of his character. Like in the [fourth] episode, which is beautiful, which is just a beautiful episode...

AE: Is that the coming out one?
PJ: Yeah, the one where he came out and then so that was really about him being gay. I really enjoy the episodes where it's just a matter of, “Oh, by the way, he is gay.” It's not a bone of contention or this big thing that needs to be talked about. I have the most fun, when he's just a regular kid.

The other episodes, he's got to deal with the issues and stuff like that, and deal with another guy and another house and like that kind of thing. That's fun, too, but in a different way.

AE: I think gay fans really like Calvin just being someone who happens to be gay and would like to see his relationship with Heath just have regular relationship issues as opposed to...
PJ: Oh, we do. That's completely what, for Heath and I, the fifth episode is about and, I think, the eighth episode. It's about me and Heath and our relationship issues. You don't really see him as much with Rusty. And the rest of the season he sort of goes with Heath and Ashley a little bit more and, the coming out is a big issue. It's huge, but I feel like people kind of just want to see him be a regular kid, kind of navigating through college.

Read the entire interview at the source.

Last edited by keep the starlight; 02-24-2009 at 09:31 PM
Old 10-01-2007, 02:52 AM
Elite Fan

The opening looks amazing Linds.. Great job on it
"pacey I love you, you know that and it's very real." ~ Joey to Pacey 6x24 (dawson's creek)
Old 10-01-2007, 04:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Love the OP!

Add me to the list please? I love Calvin, and his story.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Aw, thanks. Adding you guys now!

Old 10-03-2007, 04:32 AM
Master Fan

One of my favourite characters on Greek I cannot wait for season 2 now, his situation with his frat will be a great storyline

Old 10-03-2007, 05:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Definately! I can't wait to see where it goes.. and I really hope he can join Kappa Tau
Old 10-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm definitely looking forward to his storyline in the upcoming episodes. I just adore Calvin, and I would love to see him join Kappa Tau, too.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whordy (View Post)
Definately! I can't wait to see where it goes.. and I really hope he can join Kappa Tau
You know I really wanted him to pledge there first

It'll be interesting for sure!

Old 10-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I wanted him to be with Kappa Tau, too, but it makes sense that he ended up at Omega Chi. I loved that sequence where he changed his personality depending on which frat he was talking to. So genius. I was highly impressed.

Cute new candids of Paul.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:05 AM
Master Fan

He's so adorable (and hot)

Quote:
I wanted him to be with Kappa Tau, too, but it makes sense that he ended up at Omega Chi. I loved that sequence where he changed his personality depending on which frat he was talking to. So genius. I was highly impressed.
I know! I loved how he coached Rusty too

Old 10-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Aww, look at him! He's such a sweetie.

I loved his scenes with his dad from Picking Teams(?) especially. I thought they were really great.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Him coaching Rusty was all kinds of adorable. He's just such a genuine person and friend. You never get the sense that he's doing anything for a remotely selfish reason, it just seems like he really wants to help people and make things better for them. Rusty and Ashleigh in particular.

I enjoyed those scenes, too, Kirsty. His dad really seemed to be trying but it was also obvious that he doesn't really "get" Calvin's sexual orientation or lifestyle choice. Like when he was stumbling over what the term is for commitment ceremonies. It was sweet that he was trying to be supportive, though.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I loved his scenes with his dad from Picking Teams(?) especially. I thought they were really great.
Agreed! You'd think we'd see a homophobic father. But I was pleasantly surprised that didn't take that route

Quote:
Him coaching Rusty was all kinds of adorable. He's just such a genuine person and friend. You never get the sense that he's doing anything for a remotely selfish reason, it just seems like he really wants to help people and make things better for them. Rusty and Ashleigh in particular.
Nicely put, he never came off as trying to make anyone like him. Genuine as you said

Old 10-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Elite Fan

Picking Teams was great. I loved Rusty's reaction when he hit Calvin's back with the ball.
"pacey I love you, you know that and it's very real." ~ Joey to Pacey 6x24 (dawson's creek)
Old 10-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orton (View Post)
Agreed! You'd think we'd see a homophobic father. But I was pleasantly surprised that didn't take that route
Yeah, and I think I remember reading an interview with Paul (or it may have been one of the writers.. I'm not sure ) who said that they really didn't want to go down that typical homophobic parents route, and do something a bit different. And I liked that they did and i really loved his speech to his dad about how he'll tell people when he needs to, but he shouldn't have to make an effort to do it, because it's not the most important part of who he is.