Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Master Fan

I think it's harder rereading and discussing because like you said, there's a lot I've forgotten as well and now it makes a different on how I view stuff that's coming up. But I can't talk about it til we get there.

I'd say Rachel is more worried about how people view her than actually self involved. Maybe it's just how I interpret the definition. I think if she were self involved, she'd just care about how it all affects her. But she tends to think more about how everything will affect other people's opinions about her.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, that makes sense Sara. Although either way I look at it, it's still all about her; whether she's worried about how it affects her or how it affects other people's opinions of her.

P: "Jim's just really passionate about Italian food" J: "Yeah, I'm very passionate about Italian food. In fact, I'm in love with Italian food"
Join JGL
Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara23 (View Post)
I think it's harder rereading and discussing because like you said, there's a lot I've forgotten as well and now it makes a different on how I view stuff that's coming up. But I can't talk about it til we get there.

I'd say Rachel is more worried about how people view her than actually self involved. Maybe it's just how I interpret the definition. I think if she were self involved, she'd just care about how it all affects her. But she tends to think more about how everything will affect other people's opinions about her.
Agreed. I do think it makes a huge difference between the first read and the second.

But for me, that still makes her self-involved. She's concerned how people will view her; it's still about her. To my way of thinking, no matter how self-involved I think she is, she's still not as bad as Dex. I found him horrible and it did seem as if he had been waiting for a chance to pounce.

-Hannah
Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Master Fan

But who's to say that he wasn't really waiting for that opportunity? He knew Rachel first anyways. She's the reason he even met Darcy.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Elite Fan

I think that's a real possibility. He could have been waiting for Rachel but dated Darcy in the meantime. I know that Rachel and Dex were drunk, but I think they both finally let go of all their morals and inhibitions.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Master Fan

Sometimes when you're drunk you do things that are more right than you want to admit.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Elite Fan

Agreed.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Master Fan

Damn inhibitions..
Old 01-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Moderator Support Team

I'm home for the weekend and left my book on campus. Aargh. So, I've read Chapter 3 and not 4 yet, so I'll be back to comment later.

Definitely interesting hearing more about the Rachel/Dex background and then Dex's admission to her....kind of feeling her out.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Master Fan

Hannah's going to hate me for saying this because she'll be picturing CE, but remember I'm talking about the character, okay?

I find Dex rather intriguing. Obviously, if you're stuck sitting next to a person for a semester, you're going to be social with them. Rachel seemed to value the superficial part of the relationship. He was pretty, he was smart, he was only hers and not Darcy's (at first). I'm curious what Dex valued. With Rachel questioning it so much herself, are we supposed to think that he's not thinking the whole "love the person for what's on the inside" aspect and that it was something different?

Am I the only person who doesn't try on swimsuits in the same dressing room as my friend? Bestie or not, you can hear me through the wall and see me when I've got the thing on.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Master Fan

OMG! Sara!

I have such a hard time reading the Dex portions because of CE! LMAO I do agree though they were definitely feeling something more before and being drunk gave them that outlet to some degree. Still pretty sketchy though.

And no, you're not. I don't either!

-Hannah
Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Master Fan

That's the worst part about knowing a cast to a movie and reading the book. No matter what I pictured before, I can't not picture CE now.

Thank goodness I'm not alone. I don't think I've ever shared a dressing room. Most of them aren't even big enough for two people and a bunch of clothes. But I don't shop at Bloomingdales either, so..
Old 01-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Master Fan

LOL I know. I find myself skipping the Dex stuff because I can't stop thinking it's CE, so I have this intense hatred going on. It's so irritating. LOL

I haven't either. I'm clausterphobic and I have such issues being in a small room with someone else. LOL

-Hannah
Old 01-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Master Fan

I've been trying to work in how Ethan will fit in early on in the story. Since Hilary isn't going to be there, it's simple to see how he'll take on her role but I'm wondering how much he'll know about that birthday night right after it happens.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Master Fan

I've been trying to work out stuff like that too. I keep changing Hilary to Ethan in the book. LMAO

-Hannah