I am an original”
Old 06-19-2021, 08:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Classic Comics Saturday

---

Those ’70s Comics: 796

Inspired by episode 510 - “The Crunge”

---

Comments: On the show, Donna describes how Red gets her out of the house, but we don’t see it. I decided to to show it. Red would probably hate-enjoy watching America’s Funniest Home Videos -- enjoying the ways people get themselves hurt while also feeling aggravated by how many Kelsos exist in this world (and hating on the host’s narration of the videos, regardless of who the host is).

---

Colleen, thank you!
Old 06-20-2021, 05:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Classic Comics Sunday

---

Those ’70s Comics: 797

---

Comments: Show!Hyde’s fantasy of their future and show!Jackie’s fears about it are in-character for them. That being said, nowadays, I would’ve changed the fat-shaming, fat-phobic joke in that fantasy to something else that’s equally in-character but not potentially insulting or hurtful to readers. I definitely do not co-sign T7S writers’ POV that making fun of people’s weight is okay. Those panels in this comic is a case of me following the episode’s writing without thinking critically about it.

(Maybe this part of the episode should be called “The Cringe”.)

Delving with care into Jackie’s issues concerning weight, however, is another thing (I explore it in my story Beneath a Shattered Sky). That, however, was not the writers’ intention whenever they wrote about Jackie and weight -- whether she’s doling out the insults, on the receiving end of them, or worrying about her weight.

---

Star Vector Brush Set PS7
Complete Tree Brush Pack
Old 06-21-2021, 07:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

T7S Collectors' Stamp #42

---

Gradient Design Brushes from obsidiandawn.com
Old 06-22-2021, 06:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Those '70s Comics: 3064

Inspired by episode 702 - “Let's Spend the Night Together"

Old 06-23-2021, 07:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Those '70s Comics: 3065

Old 06-24-2021, 06:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Those '70s Comics: 3066

Old 06-26-2021, 09:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Classic Comics Saturday

---

Those ’70s Comics: 798

---

Comments: This comic addresses the fact Eric and Donna didn’t work through the issues that led to their break up in “The Promise Ring” (3x25). The show’s writers wanted to plunge into the engagement storyline, so they gave the characters no time -- not even an episode -- to acknowledge their issues and make a pact to work on them. Though hardly satisfactory, that would’ve been enough for us to know that E/D were likely working on those issues off-screen.

Instead, Eric says in “Going to California” (5x01), “Donna, about Casey and all that stuff -- I don't care, okay? I just wanna be with you.” Which is all about what happened in season 4, not Eric feeling increasingly threatened in season 3 by Donna’s independence, trying to assert his control over her, Donna acting out passive-aggressively because of it, etc.

This is similar to how season 6 gives no mention to Hyde sleeping with the nurse in season 5. The following dialogue shows how season 6 reframes the breakup.

Quote:
Kelso: Look, Hyde, I know you don't wanna tell Jackie that you're sorry, but come on. There's gotta some things that you did that you wish you hadn't done. (...)

Hyde: Yeah, well, maybe with Jackie I was sort of impetuous and maybe a little rash.
Kelso is the one who caught Hyde leaving the nurse’s hotel room in season 5. He’s the one who knew Hyde had slept with someone who wasn’t Jackie, and yet here he acts like he has amnesia (not necessarily a stretch for Kelso, but no). Hyde’s response is that he was “sort of impetuous and maybe a little rash,” which in the most superficial way describes how rather than confronting Jackie directly about what Hyde sees her doing with Kelso on Donna’s couch, he acts out of pain and anger and sleeps with a nurse as a way of breaking up with Jackie in the most passive-aggressive manner possible.

In the scene that follows, we get a more detailed description of what broke up Jackie and Hyde.

Quote:
Jackie: Steven's the one who messed up the relationship. He thought you and I were together but he was just wrong. He fabricated the whole mess.
Again, Hyde sleeping with another woman to break up with Jackie is not mentioned. I don’t consider it cheating, as most people characterize it, since Hyde had no intention of staying with Jackie afterward. It’s an act of revenge, a very nasty version of a break-up letter, and a way of ensuring Jackie will never take him back (because he’d been drawn back into the relationship once before, after she’d shown she had lingering feelings for Kelso of some kind).

For comparison, when Kelso cheated, he had no intention of breaking up with Jackie or telling her that he was cheating. Hyde had every intention of telling Jackie what he did, and probably would’ve gone like this, “Caught you and Kelso foolin’ around on Donna’s couch. Well, guess what, I nailed a nurse last night. So we’re even, and we’re done.”

The bottom line is that the T7S writers didn’t want -- or know how -- to resolve these storylines in an emotionally satisfying way that developed the characters and also had humor.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Great comics Lisa!
I am an original”
Old 06-26-2021, 03:33 PM
Master Fan

Great work!
Old 06-27-2021, 07:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Classic Comics Sunday

---

Those ’70s Comics: 799

---

Comments: I enjoyed making today’s comic. Drawing Kelso as Pavolv and depicting his understanding of Pavlov’s experiment was fun. Even though he gets that totally wrong, his thoughts about Hyde eventually breaking Jackie’s heart are prescient.

---

Bloody Tears - PS7 Brushes

---

Colleen, Kayla, thank you!
Old 06-28-2021, 08:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Those '70s Comics: 3067

Old 06-29-2021, 06:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Those '70s Comics: 3068