Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

I need to watch more of The Big Bang Theory, I have only seen a few sparadic episodes, but it's on my list. Especially since I heard David from Rosanne is in it, and Darlene for awhile too.
I am an original”
Old 08-14-2014, 07:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The Big Bang Theory is a fun, entertaining show. Not terribly deep, but that's not its purpose. It does have some deeper moments, though -- and the character Raj is a lot like Fez, minus the creep factor.

---

So what I think should've happened after S5 for E/D ... they should've decided that they'd get married after college. They'd tell Kitty and Red this after Red got out of the hospital, and I can see Red and Kitty both being exasperated and calling them dumbasses.

Kitty: If you'd just said that to begin with, you and your father wouldn't have spent a year at each other's throats!
Old 08-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

That would have been the better way to go. Them being engaged young could have worked better.
I am an original”
Old 08-20-2014, 07:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Exactly. There was no need for all that drama just because they were engaged. It just meant they intended to get married "some day," not tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'll tell you honestly, starting somewhere around S6 everytime i heard words ''wedding'' or ''marriage'' i just wanted to put a veto on their use in the show. In my opinion writers really overused this whole marriage thing through the seasons. It just seemed very weird to me that high school teenagers are so obsessed with getting married
I mean, if one season was equal one year, then yes, those questions and dilemmas would be completely understadable, logical and even necessary, cause in that case in S5-6 characters would be, like, 20-21 year old, but when you're around 18, just graduated from school and have your whole life ahead of you... well, as i said, it seemed really weird and annoying to me.

Last edited by rishik5; 08-20-2014 at 03:03 PM
Old 08-21-2014, 06:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishik5 (View Post)
I'll tell you honestly, starting somewhere around S6 everytime i heard words ''wedding'' or ''marriage'' i just wanted to put a veto on their use in the show. In my opinion writers really overused this whole marriage thing through the seasons. It just seemed very weird to me that high school teenagers are so obsessed with getting married
I mean, if one season was equal one year, then yes, those questions and dilemmas would be completely understadable, logical and even necessary, cause in that case in S5-6 characters would be, like, 20-21 year old, but when you're around 18, just graduated from school and have your whole life ahead of you... well, as i said, it seemed really weird and annoying to me.
I totally agree. I mean, Jackie's wedding obsession fit her character for a goodly long time until "Do You Think It's Alright," where she'd gotten some peace about it.

And we got two seasons of storylines about Eric and Donna's engagement. They should've agreed to wait until after college in early season six, being shocked into coherent thought by Red's heart attack -- or they should've gotten married at the end of S6. Destroying Eric's character because Topher decided to leave the show after season 7 -- when they didn't even know if they'd get a season 8 -- was ridiculous and stupid.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
Destroying Eric's character because Topher decided to leave the show after season 7 -- when they didn't even know if they'd get a season 8 -- was ridiculous and stupid.
It was horrible. During S7 i couldn't even see the Eric i knew and loved in the character he became. This whole '' year off'' thing, chase for the butterflies etc seemed completely OOC and ridicilous. It was like Eric degraded. And the story with Casey Kelso and the gym grades totally was the last straw for me.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I totally agree with all of that. It was becoming really crazy. I was not that obsessed with marriage when I was that young! Heck I wasn't that obsessed with marriage until I was in my twenties...granted I was engaged when I was 19, just turned 20, but we had been together for a long time and didn't get married until 3 years later. We knew we needed to take time to do other things first. Wow that turned into a long ramble.
I am an original”
Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
I totally agree with all of that. It was becoming really crazy. I was not that obsessed with marriage when I was that young! Heck I wasn't that obsessed with marriage until I was in my twenties...granted I was engaged when I was 19, just turned 20, but we had been together for a long time and didn't get married until 3 years later. We knew we needed to take time to do other things first. Wow that turned into a long ramble.
for your on-topic ramble.

I think the writers sometimes forgot that they were writing sitcom teenagers, not twenty-something soap opera characters.

Eric became a caricature in S7. Though I do find that scene with the butterflies funny (Topher has great comedic timing) -- and within a certain context, it could be in-character -- the fact that it goes along with so many Eric-is-drifting episodes makes it dissatisfying.

IMO, Eric and Donna should've gotten married at the end of S6 (since we got so much build-up). Then S7 should've had storylines between the newly-married E/D vs. the forever-married Red and Kitty. I could see E/D getting smug during their newlywed bliss and giving Red and Kitty advice. R/K would get pissed off, but they'd actually take the advice (and it would work).

And seeing Eric and Donna's marriage work so well would make Hyde less uneasy about marrying Jackie. That would be the reassurance he needed to propose to her at the end of the series ('cause it should've ended at season 8).
Old 08-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
IMO, Eric and Donna should've gotten married at the end of S6 (since we got so much build-up).
Exactly. You know, somehow in S6 Eric and Donna really reminded me of Nathan and Haley from OTH, whom i love deeply. And those similarities made me believe that D/E marriage could've actually work and with proper writing it even would've been really great and interesting to watch. But the end of the season destroyed everything
Old 08-23-2014, 11:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Exactly. You know, somehow in S6 Eric and Donna really reminded me of Nathan and Haley from OTH, whom i love deeply. And those similarities made me believe that D/E marriage could've actually work and with proper writing it even would've been really great and interesting to watch. But the end of the season destroyed everything
I never watched OTH, so I don't know the reference, but the T7S writers did not know how to write themselves out of difficult situations dealing with cast departures (or eventual cast departures). I think the show could've continued being art as well as entertainment after season five -- but the writers were clearly getting burnt out.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Obsessed Fan

Well, sometimes it can be really useful to hire a new writers - fresh looks on things, new ideas and everything - but of course only if those writers know and understand the show they're supposed to write for, not to mention such things as respect and love. Didn't happen here, unfortunately.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Totally understand what you get there. They remind me a bit of Naley too.

I do think they should have gone ahead with the wedding too at the end of season 6, with all that build up!

I have no problems with new writers either....if they know how to write the characters and not destroy them.
I am an original”
Old 08-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
Totally understand what you get there.
I had a feeling you will
Old 08-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Being the fact that Naley is one of my favorite ships, I guess it was pretty obvious.

I would have loved to see Eric and Donna being married and seeing them deal with everyday married life.
I am an original”