Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by varietyofwords (View Post)
I posted about this on the last thread and no one responded (I'm such a conversation killer. ) but I completely agree with you. I see it also as they fill in the spots that their MOTHERS didn't give them:

Eleanor was never an affection mother (until after she started dating Cyrus) and everything she said had a caveat -- you're beautiful but you'll never be more beautiful than you are now, etc -- whereas Serena is just pure love -- affection, warm, quick to hug Blair.

Lily was never a mother that her daughter could rely upon as she'd pack up and leave at a moment's notice or, more often, without any notice whereas plans and consistency are Blair's middle name.
Beautifully said. I've always had this idea in my head that Serena was a neglected child and maybe was even the victim of abuse? There's something about how highly sexualized she was at a young age that fits.
Anyway, I think that's why Blair's protectiveness was such a big deal for her. And like you said Blair's CONSISTENCY. She could count on her. Serena would put herself in a position to be hurt over and over again (by trusting the wrong people, getting involved with the wrong guys, etc) and Blair would sweep in and save her. I think that was the core of what she needed.

And I think you hit on the right thing when you said Serena loved Blair without CAVEAT. It's not so much the affection that Blair lacked (Harold was a warm father). But she didn't have the UNCONDITIONAL love that she needed. Even warm, sweet Harold judged her for her darker side. But Serena completely lovingly accepted her. And I think Blair tested Serena just as much as Serena tested Blair:
By lashing out at her, by humiliating her at points publicly, by dating the love of Serena's life even though she KNEW Serena was still in love with him, etc. You could say she was subconsciously testing Serena to see how much she'd take.

Last edited by tversky; 01-10-2014 at 03:11 AM
Old 01-10-2014, 02:38 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by search love in space (View Post)
add me please i love their friendship even when they are quarreling because it's like sisters.

Love this scene at the hospital
Welcome to the thread (and the board)

Always nice to meet another SB fan
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I posted about this on the last thread and no one responded (I'm such a conversation killer. ) but I completely agree with you. I see it also as they fill in the spots that their MOTHERS didn't give them:

Eleanor was never an affection mother (until after she started dating Cyrus) and everything she said had a caveat -- you're beautiful but you'll never be more beautiful than you are now, etc -- whereas Serena is just pure love -- affection, warm, quick to hug Blair.

Lily was never a mother that her daughter could rely upon as she'd pack up and leave at a moment's notice or, more often, without any notice whereas plans and consistency are Blair's middle name.
I really loved what you wrote Christina (as usual )

Eleanor chose Blair's bff, her job, society rules, facade marriages (she wanted her to marry Nate because of the name, not that she loved him or not) over her before Cyrus. after Cyrus she didn't want her to be in a loveless marriage even tho she was gonna be a princess, she fought for her daughter's fairytale

Lily chose other men over her children too (I might say before Rufus but it feels different from Cyrus because unlike Cyrus, Rufus didn't fully accept Lily as Cyrus did eleanor and Rufus went from her back, and thats why they weren't endgame imo).

Both mothers and daughters had the same course of SLs through out the series.
Daughters feared to be their moms and ran away from the dark side they got from them. (Lily and Eleanor too... Even tho we don't know eleanor's mother I can imagine it)

Blair had her scheming and dark side from Eleanor, her unrealistic dreaming from Harold. But she also learnt unexpected love becoming her true love and taking risk for it from Cyrus, as Eleanor did.

They both had a first unsuccessful and a facade marriage, they both wanted to have kept their names. Eleanor became Eleanor Waldorf, Blair became Blair Waldorf before their true unexpected love marriages. They accepted their past mistakes and the hurt, the power of their dark sides and to use it better thus they became stronger while being vulnarable. And they have been loved for every part of them.

Serena had her wild and dark side from Lily too. They both screwed up many times, they had men over men in their lives, they tried to have a career, they were muses of their loves of lives, they have lost their loves of lives and they were scared to love them even. They both had father complex with mommy issues in hand They both got betrayed by their sisters, being payed for what their mothers did to protect them, to live what their mothers envisioned for them.

Serena became the socialite as Lily, but it felt to me like their journey wasn't finished there at the end even tho Serena married her "love of life" I think she as Lily still has to find the part they showed us, not being muse but the artist.

So in a way they became their mothers but also they became better than them.

Blair was more lucky because she had Dorota. Serena had Blair Even tho she is an amazing mother, she was a screw up too, but she did her best in general

Quote:
Originally Posted by tversky (View Post)
Beautifully said. I've always had this idea in my head that Serena was a neglected child and maybe was even the victim of abuse? There's something about how highly sexualized she was at a young age that fits.
Anyway, I think that's why Blair's protectiveness was such a big deal for her. And like you said Blair's CONSISTENCY. She could count on her. Serena would put herself in a position to be hurt over and over again (by trusting the wrong people, getting involved with the wrong guys, etc) and Blair would sweep in and save her. I think that was the core of what she needed.

And I think you hit on the right thing when you said Serena loved Blair without CAVEAT. It's not so much the affection that Blair lacked (Harold was a warm father). But she didn't have the UNCONDITIONAL love that she needed. Even warm, sweet Harold judged her for her darker side. But Serena completely lovingly accepted her. And I think Blair tested Serena just as much as Serena tested Blair:
By lashing out at her, by humiliating her at points publicly, by dating the love of Serena's life even though she KNEW Serena was still in love with him, etc. You could say she was subconsciously testing Serena to see how much she'd take.
As Lily said, Serena was never a child especially when she was in her teens. I don't think she was a victim of abuse, I mean I hope not But maybe one of her step fathers didn't see her as a child too They never mentioned anything about that but there was coke involved at some point, it can be imaginable imo.

But definitely she was neglegted. That is for sure. As I mentioned Lily was never there when they were kids. She basically had to raise Eric, they basically lived in other houses (Waldorfs, Archibalds). She didn't have a father figure since 4 years old. She started having sex at very early age as Blair said, she was on pills since her 15s (I mean they all started early imo but Serena was even earlier than them. That makes her a Chuck equivalent in that role too. For men its so early too btw anyway hope you got me ) She was on drugs and booze since she was just a kid.

As I always say I think Blair's love of lives being Chuck and Serena, and Serena's loves of life being Blair and Dan, they really had the same course with both.

Serena said to Dan she is maybe testing him to see when he is gonna give up on her and probably you are right that she also tested Blair's love for her too because they both told her that whatever she does there is nothing that they could let her go or not believe in her...

Same as Blair, Serena and Chuck. Thats why the 3 especially took turns to save each other And they are the ones who knew Blair best, as Blair said Dan and her are the ones who knew Serena best...

To me what Blair did to Serena was over the limits, and comparing it to what Serena did when she was a drunk teenage girl is so wrong. I would really love that GGW would invested more time and scenes on their recovery in S6.

Last edited by lessismore; 01-10-2014 at 08:47 AM
Old 01-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
I hope that wasn't the case, but given her behavior and the way she talked about sex -- how men never looked at her -- leads me to believe it might be a possibility.

Quote:
And I think Blair tested Serena just as much as Serena tested Blair:
I hadn't thought of it this way, but now that you mention this idea it REALLY does fit. Blair was always quick to assume the worst of Serena without allowing her to explain. Their scenes in 1x04 are a great example of this. Blair showed up to see Serena at the shoot, assumed that Serena was in cohoots with her mom, and immediately shut Serena down without waiting for an explanation.

Christina | vote Natalie Dormer | icon
Old 01-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Loyal Fan

So watching 2.19 (I think) the other day, and yeah Serena and Chuck both knew that to help the other help Blair, that they should turn to each other...because they were the people that Blair loved the most in the world. So yeah, I loved that Serena in that episode was so determined to try and help Blair.

To paraphrase Chuck, I don't think Serena gets nearly enough credit for her protective friend qualities.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:47 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStewart4President (View Post)
To paraphrase Chuck, I don't think Serena gets nearly enough credit for her protective friend qualities.
I don't think she does either. I mean, she does make Blair face reality, but she'll drop anything to help her and risk her own reputation to do so.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
'Tis true. Blair is very much a mama bear, but Serena is not exactly slacking in that area either.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Passionate Fan

Serena is a koala bear. You think she's cute and cuddly and then you tried to invade her space.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Serena is a koala bear. You think she's cute and cuddly and then you tried to invade her space.

though S has better hair.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:16 AM
Passionate Fan

That is the most terrifying thing I have ever seen.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
So watching 2.19 (I think) the other day, and yeah Serena and Chuck both knew that to help the other help Blair, that they should turn to each other...because they were the people that Blair loved the most in the world. So yeah, I loved that Serena in that episode was so determined to try and help Blair.

So true! I mean what more she had to do for Blair?! She even stomached ugliness and idiotism that is DB...
Old 02-07-2014, 04:59 AM
Master Fan

Our girls in Paris

S4 started great with SB moments, but then it all went rather haywire
Old 02-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Passionate Fan

Their relationship was so easy in Paris.

Okay, not really. You still had Blair pushing Serena into a fountain.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:09 AM
Master Fan

Eh, if it was too easy it wouldn't be Blair and Serena.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Passionate Fan

True. They had to work for it.