Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 03:04 AM
Addicted Fan

Oh yeah that's right. Thanks. That was a great episode.

"He makes me laugh."
Jake & Amy ♥

Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I notice the ice cream carton. I remember eating the same brand of ice-cream at my cousin's house. But I can never find it in stores.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

Probably don't sell it anymore
Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek&Destroy (View Post)
Probably don't sell it anymore
Yea but a lot of other snacks I was used to as a kid.

Cindy always Kelly like a daughter.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

I did like how close Kelly was with the Walshes, especially in S5.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Obsessed Fan

It didn't sit well with me. Loved Val's relationship with Jim and Cindy though, especially the latter.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveslullaby (View Post)
It didn't sit well with me. Loved Val's relationship with Jim and Cindy though, especially the latter.
I'm the complete opposite. I didn't like the fact that Val was using Jim and Cindy for her own personal games.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Elite Fan

Not to skip all discussion but I thought I'd post this slideshow for now: (okay, I love a lot of the shots and music)

YouTube - ‪Beverly Hills 90210- A look back at season 5‬‏
Old 06-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Obsessed Fan

Great images. I loved Kelly's scenes with Cindy and her relationship with the Walsh family.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

the vid.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Newbie (View Post)
The Dylan/Kelly/Brandon triangle seriously makes the Brenda/Dylan/Kelly one from S3 look like quality TV, which says a lot about the quality of writing this season.
I'll agree with this. I wasn't so much "hating" or angry when it happened, but I was quite confused. I don't think they did a good job of explaining how Dylan could threaten B/K at that point. I mainly remember seeing him make out with Kelly at the beach house, and hearing their vague language about a "piece of her soul," or a supposed connection that no one else understands. But when it came to actual logic and reasoning for why these two people were thinking of resuming a relationship (dream therapy doesn't count IMO), the writing left something to be desired from what I recall.

Now, I never cared much for the S3 triangle either, but it probably did have more foundation. D/K were at their most interesting during that summer IMO. Someone posted an interview once in which Jason supposedly wanted no more triangles. I think he had the right idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictvfan91 (View Post)
Couple that annoyed you the most? Ray/Donna and David/Clare (I didn't care for them together. She was so much better with Steve
I wonder if Steve and Clare would've had a greater legacy if they had been paired up sooner.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by James26 (View Post)
I don't think they did a good job of explaining how Dylan could threaten B/K at that point. I mainly remember seeing him make out with Kelly at the beach house, and hearing their vague language about a "piece of her soul," or a supposed connection that no one else understands. But when it came to actual logic and reasoning for why these two people were thinking of resuming a relationship (dream therapy doesn't count IMO), the writing left something to be desired from what I recall.
I think that the writers may have went a little overboard with the dream therapy. But I think they needed something to revive the triangle. To me, the writers gave Dylan an edge that made it seemed as if he was going to have Kelly back before the season ended. But I don't see how the "Dylan will always have a piece of her soul" is much valid...but that's just me. To me, the writers added these clever lines in (similar to S9) to build something that I just didn't see with them when they were together in S3 and S4. I feel bad for Brandon who I think was reading too much into it especially in S7 before getting back together with Kelly.

I think that Dylan had his doubts about BK in the beginning of S5. And it's totally understandable since his best friend is dating his ex.....who wouldn't be p!$$ed? He just has to wait and see if this relationship would last and whether or not they're happy with each other. With Brandon still being such a good and loyal friend to Dylan, it just made it impossible for Dylan to hate him. With everything set and done, Dylan still told Brandon that he's the best friend that he's ever had (ref: S6). This was totally a different tone that we saw between Brenda and Kelly.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Dylan still told Brandon that he's the best friend that he's ever had (ref: S6). This was totally a different tone that we saw between Brenda and Kelly.
It's the reason for this difference in tone that made me such a fan of the second major triangle, even though I knew producers were largely trying to repeat a plotline that worked well before. Here, we have even more time and development involved because it's the whole of three relationships crossed with each other after about five years, and all - Dylan/Kelly, Brandon/Kelly, Dylan/Brandon - are sacred institutions within the series, the latter more so than Brenda/Kelly after two years, IMO. So much was at stake, and as an added bonus, we have Dylan killing himself on the side, lol, so we need these friendships to maintain themselves badly.

The writers did go overboard with the dream therapy. But I'd argue that they needed something to not so much revive the triangle outright, because that had been done at the beginning of the season and all throughout the middle, but to propel Dylan into action, doing something about his feelings one last time. The "mistake" they had made (although it was a great scene, so I don't really consider it one) was in closing the door on the triangle in "Stormy Weather" by having Dylan walk away and 'do the honorable thing' if they were just going to re-open it. The "piece of my soul" line is Kelly referring to the emotional connection her and Dylan share, not a cosmic one, since she didn't buy into Dylan's hypnosis experience. She did understand he wanted her back, though. They stood fine on their own long before the Wild West was involved. I would have much preferred their relationship be revisited in the 1920's or hippie episodes, lol.

Quote:
when it came to actual logic and reasoning for why these two people were thinking of resuming a relationship
Isn't emotional logic enough?

They weren't just exes, they were very recent exes coming out of a long-term relationship. They hadn't really seen each other more than once after the break-up. Kelly hopped a plane "before the dust settled". In other words, no real closure. Dylan's never been one to get over anybody, at least not quickly, and the circumstances in which he believed him and Kelly couldn't last were now extinct. He desperately needed friends (and, better yet, something more intimate) in the wake of losing all sense of security he had last season (finances, career, a new family, trust/faith/optimism). It makes sense that he would seek out those he had been closest to, regardless of past squabbles, which now must seem meaningless. He needed an anchor - someone to believe he could build himself back up, who would love him even though he had fallen apart, and preferably someone who was a prominent part of the time when he was happy before ... before everything went to hell. It's one thing for someone to have gotten on your nerves. You fundamentally still love them, though.

Now Kelly, from her own logical standpoint, chose not to go back to Dylan (though she had a history of choosing her heart over her head). He wasn't in a healthy spot and she had this new, blossoming relationship with Brandon. Obviously, she was still worried about him, so she couldn't just ignore whatever line of friendship they were going to maintain. This is when all feelings for her ex, romantic or otherwise, would count the most - even rage, which would mean working out past issues. Dylan being off the wagon also meant that we never got to see if there would be lingering feelings between him and Kelly after the break-up that would pose the question of whether they should make up (as was so often the case, no matter how many break-ups) despite her and Brandon, who's relationship was still new. Drugs and alcohol delayed this question/threat until later, when Dylan was sober and Brandon/Kelly had been together longer. Lots more intrigue. Now (don't get me wrong - Bn/K were the big couple that year), Dylan and Kelly would have to mourn the loss of their relationship sober, which is more real. Harder. Kelly, being aware of Dylan's pain (in general, over life, as an intimate partner understands), helps in her maintaining a serious soft spot for him as well. The original eight were the best of friends and, I don't know, I don't see it as unrealistic for Dylan and Kelly to look back on each other once Brandon/Kelly are a couple. And I guess there's a threat posed because we know a fixed relationship in the mix never stopped them before (Brenda/Kelly/Dylan triangle). And, usually, Dylan goes after his heart's desire. He wouldn't necessarily try to do right by Brandon since feeling betrayed/like he had stolen his girl to begin with. EDIT: But he does, mid-way at least, because he loves them and knows she's well-off with Brandon while he's cleaning up his life.

Last edited by playgroundDiaries; 07-04-2011 at 05:51 PM
Old 07-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by playgroundDiaries (View Post)
The "mistake" they had made (although it was a great scene, so I don't really consider it one) was in closing the door on the triangle in "Stormy Weather" by having Dylan walk away and 'do the honorable thing' if they were just going to re-open it.
I give props for Dylan for that scene. He admitted his feelings and I'm sure that even though he walked away, his impression and words was more than enough to let Kelly know how he felt.

Quote:
I would have much preferred their relationship be revisited in the 1920's or hippie episodes, lol.
That might be interesting to see.

Quote:
Dylan's never been one to get over anybody, at least not quickly, and the circumstances in which he believed him and Kelly couldn't last were now extinct.
I think he tends to let the girl make the first move and he would take it from there. Thinking that his relationship with Kelly was extinct was probably comparable to how Steve may feel that his chances with Kelly are slim to none after seeing Brandon & Kelly together. The DK thing was more drama and the SK was more comedy. I think Steve was way more supportive of BK's relationship and Dylan basically kept his distance. Also, sometimes I feel that Dylan was messing him up with drugs and the possible suicide in attempts to show how losing Kelly messed him up. And if that's true, I really didn't like that. That assumption came to my mind when Kelly said "You Bastard" to him.

Also, if Valerie happened to be a decent and mature girl who had strong feelings for Dylan, I kinda feel bad for her if Dylan was just using her to get back at Kelly. Luckily for him, Valerie was just using Dylan & Steve as well. I truly think she was evil in S5.

Quote:
Now Kelly, from her own logical standpoint, chose not to go back to Dylan (though she had a history of choosing her heart over her head). He wasn't in a healthy spot and she had this new, blossoming relationship with Brandon.
I truly think her decision was based on her thinking that she was doing the right thing. But one thing that she overlooked was the fact that Brandon was serious about marrying her. I think that she thought she would resume her relationship with Brandon afterwards. Of course, she was wrong and I think that Brandon took his loss much harder than Dylan did. Even though it didn't seem like it at first, I think Kelly telling Brandon that she's not going to give up on him made an impression on Brandon. He kept the ring as a sign of his devotion to her.

I think S5 was a great year for Brandon & Kelly. I thought they were happy together and their relationship was adored by many. It just felt so easy and natural.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Thinking that his relationship with Kelly was extinct was probably comparable to how Steve may feel that his chances with Kelly are slim to none after seeing Brandon & Kelly together.
Oh no, I was saying the circumstances by which they broke up were no longer there. Dylan definitely didn't think him and Kelly were extinct. Quite the contrary, LOL. Steve already believed the odds were against him in asking Kelly out again (despite his zeal), and it had been several years since they dated. She could have easily said no, and I think would have, even without Brandon or Dylan in the picture. Dylan had just gotten out of a relationship with her and not only expected Kelly to be single after the summer, but that he could drive on over and get back together with her any time (Dy/Bn's talk on his deck, etc) ... until the surprise at Felice's banquet.

Quote:
sometimes I feel that Dylan was messing him up with drugs and the possible suicide in attempts to show how losing Kelly messed him up. And if that's true, I really didn't like that. That assumption came to my mind when Kelly said "You Bastard" to him.
You mean, you wonder if Dylan was purposely destroying himself with drugs (and nearly dying, with driving off the cliff being an accident of course) to show the gang (or just Kelly) how far his downward spiral can go, having lost Kelly? I can see some of that. Like in his scenes with her early on (w/ Eberly, etc), he certainly doesn't hide his state of being or habits from her, knowing she's worried. Actually, he relishes the fact that she's seeing him like that, because he's pissed - in part, at her. He feels betrayed, and sure I can see some of it being for sympathy points. (Yes, I like this angle that you hate )

BUT, we should keep in mind that it's not until much later ("Intervention", or the ep before) that he's aware that Kelly and the rest of the gang know what happened with him and Kevin/Suzanne/Erica. And, he had been drinking himself stupid since earlier that summer, and that was a totally private affair, motivated by many other factors aside from Kelly (in fact, that was the one reparable thing in his eyes then). So, she and the Bn/K relationship just added insult to injury later on.

The "You bastard" line while holding his hand in the hospital, to me, is Kelly expressing her anger at Dylan for doing what he did to himself, because she loves him (as do all their other friends who he scared the hell out of with his self-destruction). It's also a little bit of a play on him actually acting like a bastard to those around him during that time or, as I like to call it lol, aspiring to be a jerk when she knows the man who's so much better than that and had seemed to conquer his inner demons. She's upset with him but he has her support just the same, thus the holding of his hand.

I don't think Dylan was using Valerie to get back at Kelly at all. I think he was using her to escape himself.

Valerie evil? LOL Some wicked ways, but Dylan read right into her and the facade was gone soon enough. The girl was lost.

Quote:
I truly think her decision was based on her thinking that she was doing the right thing.
Yeah. I wasn't thinking about "I choose me", but yeah. Less romantic, but I think Brandon would've kept the ring anyway. That was such a big relationship for him that it couldn't be totally over. But he was upset. Felt betrayed by her. I'm starting to repeat myself. Kelly, you heartbreaker.