Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2004, 02:56 PM
Obsessed Fan

I saw the making of thanks to my lovely Tivo. It was actually 10 minutes long. Here's a basic rundown of what was shown. It was hosted by James Marsden.

- A basic preview of what the movie is about. (Tons of clips from the movie)
- Cast interviews
- Rachel McAdams audition with Ryan.
- Interview with Nick Cassavete.

It was pretty good. I especially loved the commentary on Ryan. Sam Shepard called him unique and there was a real presence there. I believe Nick said "Ryan is the actor other actors talk about." And Rachel's audition with Ryan made me want to cry. These two have real chemistry on screen. Ryan also talked about how he hadn't seen a love story like The Notebook in a long time.

Sorry I can't go into greater detail but I've got to go to work. But I will be happy to transcripe it later on today or tomorrow if anyone wants to read it.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Loyal Fan

I didn't realize that there were so many fans of Ryan Gosling! I was at the movies last night for the new Harry Potter movie and while they were doing the trivia things before the movie began, the question was : These two stars of "The Notebook" are originally from Canada. Who are they?" I was shocked to see Ryan Gosling there! And seeing all these pictures on this thread...he looks good!

I loved his character Sean in Breaker High!
Old 06-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Extreme Fan

coolove: Thanks for posting, I cant believe I missed it! I would have loved to see it, especially since James was hosting it That would be awesome if you could provide the transcript!

AliasUnknown : I love your av! NBK is one of my all time favorite movies lol

Because maybe
You're gonna be the one that saves me
And afterall
You're my wonderwall
Old 06-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Passionate Fan

coolove: Thanks for the info! I'd like it if you transcribed it, but if you don't have time that's cool.

Mapledonuts: Welcome aboard!!

crazy4TheCalling: Today wasn't the only airing of "Making of". It's airing 2 more times I think. It's posted on the Slightly Askew board.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Extreme Fan

I've just started lurking here but it's better to join in though reading along is fun. I can't wait to see Ryan in "The Notebook" Noah is my favorite characters from a book and it's amazing that Ryan's playing him. I've also started watching him in Young Hercules.

I want to be an ologist but all the good ones are taken. Can I be LegOlogist?

Or Maybe EarOlogist would be easier

Nah LegOlogist

Can I be LegOlogist?

Does anybody know what channel and what time they're going to reair the behind the scenes thing?

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Last edited by SummerNights; 06-05-2004 at 07:48 PM
Old 06-06-2004, 08:52 AM
Passionate Fan

SummerNights: Here are the other dates & times for the "Making Of" airings:

Sat Jun 12 11:15A on Bravo
Sun Jun 13 11:15A on Bravo

Welcome to the thread by the way. Thanks for posting those pictures.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Passionate Fan

There's a new clip posted at Slightly Askew. I'm pretty sure it's the break up scene, but I can't get it to open.

Here's a still:

(Taken from Slightly Askew)
Old 06-06-2004, 12:43 PM
Obsessed Fan

Ask and Ye Shall Receive... Enjoy!

MAKING OF THE NOTEBOOK

James Marsden: Tales of love and passion. They're enthralled movie audiences for more then a century. The best ones take timeless themes and make them fresh for generations. I'm James Marsden and I costar in The Notebook a film based on the bestselling novel by Nichloas Sparks. (Voice over scenes of Allie and Noah, Allie and Lon) It's a story of forbidden passion in the South of a women torn between her love for two men and what happens after she makes her chioce.

(Cut to Allie and Lon at dinner. He proposes.)
Lon: Marry me. Make me the happiest man in the world.

(Cut to Allie and Noah outside raining.)
Noah: It wasn't over. It's still isn't over. (They kiss)

(Cut to older Allie)
Older Allie: So what happened in the story? Which one did she choose?

OPENING CREDITS

(Scenes of Allie running to Noah and hugging him. Allie with Lon. And Allie and Noah in a rowboat on a lake filled with swans.)

Rachel McAdams: It's just a beautiful love story that spans all different periods of time. It's very epic.

(Scene: Noah and Finn at the Carnival.)
Duke: (voice over) It was the night of the carnival. That's where they met; June 6th, 1940. They were 17 years old.

Noah: Who's this girl with Sarah?
Finn: Her name's Allie Hamilton. She's here for the summer with her family. Dad's got more money then God.

Ryan Gosling: In the beginning it's very sort of new and innocent, for the first time.

(Scene: Allie jumping in the river with Noah on the side of the boat. Allie's parents watch from a dock.)
Anne Hamilton: That child got's too much spirit for someone of her circumstance.
Allie's dad: Nah, it's just summer love.
Anne: It's trouble is what it is.

Ryan Gosling: It sort of takes a completely different turn for them (voice over Allie and Noah making out in a car) and it becomes sort of like intense and carnal which I don't either one of them were prepared for.

Allie: Okay, I have to go.
Noah: No!
Allie: Yes, I do. (They both laugh and continue to kiss.)

Rachel McAdams: It's this innocence, this young love that can conquer all and then wealth and differences get in the way.

(Scene: Noah having lunch with the Hamilton family)
Anne: So Noah, you and Allie have been spending a lot of time together. You must be very fond of eachother. (Noah makes the cutest face towards Allie ) It's getting pretty serious, huh?
Noah: Yes, Ma'am.
Anne: Well, Summer is almost gone. What will you do?
Noah: Charleston is only a couple of hours away.
Anne: But Allie is going to Sarah Lawrence. (Allie gives her mother the evil look) Didn't she tell you?
Noah: (looks at Allie) No, she didn't tell me that.
Anne: Sarah Lawrence is in New York.
Noah: I didn't know that.

Joan Allen: It's the story that's been told many times before about the boy from the wrong side of the tracks, and the mother doesn't really want her daughter to be hooking up with him so she does her best to sort of split them apart.

(Behind the scenes: Nick Cassevete directing Rachel and Ryan.)
Nick Cassavete: Action.

James Marsden: (voice over) Early during preproduction, Nick Cassavete signed on as director.

Nick Cassavete: Nicholas Sparks wrote a great book. And when New Line approached me saying "would I be interested" that maybe it was not my cup of tea because it was too much about love I said "what are you talking about all my movies are about love". (Voice over. More behind the scenes footage with cast & crew) And I read a great script and I said I was in.

James Marsden: You need a great director to make a great film but but for a great love story you need something more. The romantic leads have to create a sense of genuine passion.

Mark Johnson (Producer): You may have to great actors, the two best actors for the part individually but the chemistry isn't there bewtween the two of them. (Scene: Rachel and Ryan laughing during a scene.) And that movies doomed.

James Marsden: (voice over) Ryan Gosling had been buidling a career playing dark and intense characters and not romantic leads. On the other hand, dark and intense works for love scenes too.

Ryan Gosling: The character is someone who really is just the one guy with the one friend, he and the one girl and he and one parent now. There's something beautiful about that.

(Scene: Noah and his father hug.)

Sam Shepard: He's a wonderful actor, quite surprising and unique. You feel there's an instinctive thing going on and as well a lot of feeling.

Mark Johnson: Ryan is an actor I've been hearing about now for about two years. (voice over) And he is the actor that other actors talk about.

Nick Cassavete: I just thought he was just (to Ryan) Sorry, Ryan (to audience) but weird enough in a certian respect that you would believe that he would know he could take one look at somebody and they would know that was the person for them.

James Marsden: (voice over) Rachel McAdams just happened to be in LA one weekend doing publicity for a film. Her agent arranged for her to try out for the role of Allie.

Rachel McAdams: I read the script the night before and bawled my eyes out. I was surprised that I even got up the next day. I was a wreck....

(Rachel's audition tape) Rachel McAdams: Hi, My name is Rachel McAdams.

Rachel McAdams: (voice over) So I went in there met Ryan, met Nick so we sat there and did the scene and it was like "okay, let's do the next scene." And we did the next scene and we were all sort of crying and Matthew Barry the casting director was filming and had to stop to get a tissue. It was really pretty nice.

Ryan Gosling: She was just really prepared and really ready to try anything and unintimidated.

Rachel McAdams: It was the best audition experience I've ever had and I just walked into that room and I was just in another world. I just couldn't catch my breath.

Ryan Gosling: She left and Nick and I just gave each other a hug. It was just a big relief.

(Scene: Noah and Allie in the street at night)
Noah: You wanna dance with me?
Allie: Sure.

(Scene: Anne and Allie fighting)
Anne: He's a nice boy but this has got to stop. He's....
Allie: He's what?!? He's what?!?
Anne: He's trash, trash! Not for you!

(Scene: Noah at war.)
James Marden: (voice over) For a while personal heartbreak is overshadowed by the greater conflict of WWII.

Ryan Gosling: There's a loss of innocence. Even more so then that there's a loss of many lives and ideas and hope. But one thing remains true to him which is some feeling he had one summer when he was 19.

James Marsden: (voice over) Noah can't forget Allie. But Allie has moved on.

(Scene: Allie and Lon in a hosiptal)
Lon: Miss, I noticed that you weren't wearing a ring. I was wondering if I could take you out.
Allie: Excuse me?
Lon: On a date.

(Scene: Allie and friends at school. Lon stands near his car.)
Girl #1: Oh my gosh. He is dreamy.
Girl #2: He's staring at you.
Lon: Oh miss. I'm all better. Now, how about that date.

James Marsden: (voice over) Lon is rich, charming and a heck of a dancer. And he and Allie fall in love. Her parents couldn't be happier. And then weeks before their wedding everthing goes wrong.

(Scene: Allie opens a newspaper reading a small article that Noah has just restored an old mansion.)
Anne: Oh boy.

(Scene: Allie goes back home. Noah waits)
James Marsden: (voice over) But Allie discovers some feelings can't be put aside.

Allie: When I'm with Noah I feel like one person. When I'm with you I feel like someone totally different.
Lon: I love you Allie but I want you for myself.

James Marsden: Which one did she choose. That's a mystery for most of the movie. The tradegy is that 60 years later Allie herself has been robbed my her memories. Her past has now been preserved between the worn covers of a notebook guarder by the husband she's forgotten.

James Garner: The Notebook is the history of a story there love.

(Scene: Duke and older Allie)
Duke: Alright now. Where did we leave off? Oh yeah...

Gena Rowlands: Her husband just continuously reads to her determinded that by reading there love story he can break through to her and she'll know him.

James Garner: And every once in a while he does. He brings her back even if it's just for a few minutes.

James Marsden: The Notebook was Nichalos Spark's firdt novel and it spent more then a year on the New York best-seller list.

Nichloas Sparks: This is a timeless story. It's of a young couple can't be together you know finally get together, something tragic happens. Shakespeare wrote about it in the 1500's.

Mark Johnson: I got a copy of this book in gally form and I loved the idea, loved the romance of it. The idea of a love story that not just that it was this one explosive moment but it has this endurance.

Nick Cassavete: Part of the very nature of love or what like to think of as love or this love is that it endures.

James Marsden: Cassavete knows all about the passion and problems about two people who are fated for each other. His parents had that kind of magic. His mother who costars in The Notebook is the legendary actress Gena Rowlands. Nick's father was John Cassavete equally legendary as the writer/director of many edgy independant films many of which strred Gena. In the 50's and 60's they were just about the coolest couple around. And they passed on to their son their love of film making.

Gena Rowlands: I think Nick directs more then John did. Nick gives you more suggestions. John gave you as little direction as possible he felt that you had to figure it out yourself and that was the way to do it.

(Behind the scenes: James Garner, Gena and Nick rehearsing a scene by the lake.)

Gena Rowlands: Nick is a little tough about holding you to the exact line. But he creates a very very nice climate.

James Garner: I mean it's really cute when he says "Okay, mom. Action." And the first time I heard that I nearly fell out of my chair. I thought it was so cute.

(Scene: Allie swinging on a rope jumping into a lake. Swan scene with Allie and Noah)

James Marsden: (voice over) The Notebook marks the return of romance to motion pictures without irony and without apologies.

Allie: It's like a dream.

Ryan Gosling: There's no other way to put it. It's just a love story which I haven't scene in a long time. And I think it sort of stands out amongst what's out there.

Sam Shepard: Well, I thought in this day and age particulary now in the whole political climate and all the rest that's going on that this was a very sort of corageous act in a way. To do something that is so purely and simply about love.

Rachel McAdams: It's the uncertainy between them. That's where the passion comes from. Will We make it? Will we be okay? We fight and then we make up and then we fight again. But it says right there in the script that we challenge each other every day. And I think that's what everlasting love is really all about; the exciting ones anyway. The ones that are for the history books.

James Marsden: The Notebook is part of a long tradition of movie love stories. It's a fresh view of themes that will always resonate as long as people fall in love. I'm James Marsden. Thanks for watching.

END CREDITS

Last edited by coolove; 06-06-2004 at 12:49 PM
Old 06-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Passionate Fan

Thanks for posting that coolove! I really appreciate it!
Old 06-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Passionate Fan

I finally got to see The Believer last night...and let me say, I have new respect for Ryan as an actor. I couldn't believe his performance. I cried so much during that movie. His character was so intense and full of rage. I don't think I've ever seen better acting. His performance in this movie was even better than The Slaughter Rule...and I LOVE that movie.

It is a definite must see, and I found it at The Movie Gallery for $6.99 on DVD.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Passionate Fan

Chrissy: I felt the same way after seeing The Believer. I had only seen Ryan in Remember the Titans, Murder by Numbers and a few episodes of Breaker High.

Ryan's performance was incredible! After I saw the film, I felt slightly sad that more people hadn't seen him in it (because it didn't do well in theatres). I think Ryan's role in The Believer was his definitive role.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Passionate Fan

I'm really hoping this scene won't be cut from the film. There was a clip in the trailer, but it could still be cut:

(Taken from Yahoo!)

I'm pretty sure this part won't be cut. Check out that rock:

(Taken from Yahoo!)
Old 06-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Extreme Fan

Ok now I really want to see The Believer, everyone is saying its so great. I been meaning to rent it but I keep forgetting lol

coolove : Thanks so much for posting the transcript, I enjoyed reading it

Amy : I hope that scene doesnt get cut either, it looks like a cute scene

Because maybe
You're gonna be the one that saves me
And afterall
You're my wonderwall
Old 06-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Now that's a big rock.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Passionate Fan

Mandy: You should definitely check of The Believer. In my opinion, Ryan is at his best there. I haven't seen all of his films though...

M_J_23: Isn't it? I'm hoping that Allie takes that ring off during their love scene.

I think this is where he says "Do you wanna dance with me?":

(Taken from Yahoo!)