Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2004, 04:27 PM
Elite Fan

I caught the end of Donnie Darko on cable, and wondered what it was all about, so I watched it when I was able to catch the entire thing on cable. Then, i went and bought the DVD. I have seen Highway once. I probably won't get to see The Day After Tomorrow until it is released on DVD. I have October Sky on my "Wish List" already, and will be adding more of his movies to that list soon.

I wanna see Brokeback Mountain, but don't know that I will get to see it before it comes out on DVD, either.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Master Fan

The first time I saw Jake was when I saw The Good Girl. I'd heard of him before and, for some stupid reason, didn't really pay attention until that movie. I bought it the first day it came out. The ending made me really really sad But I try to block that part out of my mind or stop the movie before it gets to that .. part.
icon *
Old 07-21-2004, 05:20 PM
Elite Fan

Hmm... I don't know if I want to watch it now...
Old 07-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Pavlov's Belle
The ending made me really really sad But I try to block that part out of my mind or stop the movie before it gets to that .. part.
I don't own the movie just for that very reason I remember how pissed off I was when I originally saw it in the theaters. Anytime I see The GG on cable I have to turn it off before the end, it's just kinda depressing.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Passionate Fan

Aw, I actually like the ending. True, it's sad, but I thought it was very appropriate way to bring the story to its end. Maybe not a happy ending, but still a satisfying one, and happy in its own way.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Master Fan

I never really payed attention to Jake in the past. I knew that there was this Jake actor with the confusing surname that did Donnie Darko, but he never really stuck. Anyway, I saw the previews for TDAT and immediately it's like, 'That's Jake Gyllenhaal! Hee. He's kinda cute.' Then I watched TDAT, and began to like him. After that, I bought Bubble Boy and Moonlight Mile, movies where he did a better job than TDAT, and the rest is fandom history.

Question. Is the director's cut for DD on DVD? I'm asking my friend to buy it for me, and if there's a director's cut, then that's the one I'm asking him to buy.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Passionate Fan

Hmm. I saw Jake for the first time when we had to watch October Sky in science. I thought he was cute but didn't think much of him. Later, I rented Bubble Boy because a friend is in it and was surprised to see Jake again. Looked up his movies, rented Donnie Darko, and was completely sold.

Dani, I liked the ending of TGG too. I think it would've been a little cheesy if they had gone riding off in the sunset with each other. And not flowing with the general tone of the movie as well.

Paolo, unfortunately no. The director's cut is only being released in theaters.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Pavlov's Belle
I hate tabloids but I love reading the Weekly World News
Ah, weekly world news. Love it. A new issue comes out tomorrow...

I cannot wait for DD to come back out in the theatres. I never saw it the first time round, and my brother bought the movie. I didn't like it the first time I saw it because I thought it was stupid and didn't understand. But slowly, as my Jake obsession has grown, so has my love for DD.
I remember Jake in Bubble Boy. I thought he was adorable. I might need to watch that movie again. I've never see The Good Girl though. Might have to rent that too. I think I just need a Jake marathon night...

Ashley
Old 07-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Master Fan

Oh, the ending for TGG absolutely would have been cheesy if everything worked out. It's still tragic though.

A Jake marathon? My friend and I had a Leo DiCaprio marathon we went swimming in bathing suits that we made in sewing class and watched all of this movies.. God, I'm bad with staying On Topic
icon *
Old 07-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Master Fan

I am a big Jake fan and I adore him and Kirsten together so my reason for dropping in is to see if there is any truth to this:

Quote:
Kirsten and Jake split
July 22, 2004

HOLLYWOOD sweethearts Kirsten Dunst, who co-stars in the blockbuster Spider-Man 2, and heart-throb actor Jake Gyllenhaal have split up.

Split ... Jake and Kirsten

The couple, a Tinseltown item for the past two years, ended their relationship amicably for undisclosed reasons, Gyllenhaal's publicist, Stephen Huvane, said.

"Kirsten and Jake remain the best of friends," Huvane was quoted by People magazine as saying.

"Details regarding when and why their romantic relationship stopped are not being provided, but suffice it to say it happened some time ago. They are still very close," he added.

Dunst, 22, who plays Spider-Man's love interest in the hit movies, and 23-year-old Gyllenhaal began dating in September 2002.

They were introduced by his sister, actress Maggie Gyllenhaal, with whom Dunst starred in 2003's Mona Lisa Smile.

Gyllenhaal most recently starred in the disaster flick The Day After Tomorrow.

Old 07-22-2004, 12:04 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie bubbles

I am a big Jake fan and I adore him and Kirsten together so my reason for dropping in is to see if there is any truth to this:
As far as we all know, it's true.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:28 AM
Master Fan

Aw damn - I was just hoping it was the Australian Press getting things worng - as always!
Old 07-22-2004, 12:36 AM
Loyal Fan

Director's Cut openings US, UK, Australia

xposted from the Donnie Darko thread on the movie board. The link below is to his official site:

http://www.jakegyllenhaal.com/news.html

has partial listing of US premieres outside of Seattle (starts in LA and NY this Friday; some cities have later dates). Not many so far; the site says to check later for a more complete list.

Says DDDC opens in Australia Aug 12, UK Aug 27.

Apparently there will be a new DVD released for the Director's Cut, at least in the UK, and I'd be surprised if they released one only in Region 2. At first, the director was saying there would not be one, but apparently there's enough interest that profit motive prevailed.

However, though I've only seen the DC, and not the one which is currently available on DVD, I've gotten the impression that the DC has about 20 minutes of material that was cut from the original theatrical release, but included as extras on the DVD now available for rental. The DC just has them put back in where the film maker intended them to be.

Here's the link to the beginning of the Donnie Darko thread on the Movies Board

and a link to a UK site which says the DC will be available in UK on October 4.

Curiously, if I recall correctly, TDAT on DVD will be available in the US on Oct 5.

Last edited by pixiedude; 07-22-2004 at 12:46 AM
Old 07-22-2004, 07:39 AM
Master Fan

I'm so happy! Our local cable carrier here is going to show The Good Girl. I'm totally in the dark regarding this movie, so are there any racy bits/dialogue that could potentially be edited out?

pixiedude, thanks for that news bit. I think they would release the DC in the U.S. eventually.

As soon as I get my hands on a copy of DD, and then watch it, I'm going to join you guys in the DD thread.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:46 AM
Master Fan

I honestly don't know why I haven't stopped by here before

I LOVE Jake. Yeah, it's true that my obsession has grown bigger in the last few months, but I've loved him for such a long time.

I saw Donnie Darko a long time ago, and he impressed me, but I didn't fall in love with him completly, I thought he was an amazing actor, and that's all. I think it was when I saw Moonlight Mile almost a year ago that I started loving him more and more.

My fav Jake performance was definately in The Good Girl, yeah I know he's awesome in Donnie Darko, but in The Good Girl he was awesome.

So...well I'm going to stay around here for a while
"There are few out there who do still believe in you. A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds, those are the people I want in your hearts. [...]This game is not over. This battle is not over. Clear eyes, full hearts? CAN'T LOSE!"
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top