Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Part-Time Fan

Re: Re: Sean Calhoun

Quote:
Originally posted by Silversun
I may have bitten off more than I can chew.
Nicky honey, the fact that you're Nicky and amazing means that you can write it and it'll be great. have faith, it'll come. besides, you totally rock!!!

...Just be.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Master Fan

Fight scenes are hard to write, but if you have read books that have had some fighting in them I'm sure you can follow that. I mean I read "The Fearless" series and that has some good fight scene init ::shrugs:: Don't lose faith

Orton

Old 10-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Master Fan

Aw Troy that is very lovely of you to say.

Orton - I think you're right! I need to read some books with fight scenes in them. I haven't heard of the ones you mentioned though. Unless you mean the Francine Pascal series Fearless? Are we talking about the same thing here? Off to find some books.

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 10-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Loyal Fan

Re: Re: Sean Calhoun

Quote:
Argh, I started writing my Matrix/YA crossover last night. Utter. Disaster. I'm so bad at writing fight scenes. And what is The Matrix but a series of fight scenes? I may have bitten off more than I can chew.
*hesitates to offer suggestions - goes ahead and makes suggestions*

I know (Fangs) you're a recovering Buffyfan - what about watching some old videos + trying to do a running commentary in your head of how you'd do that scene on the page and how much you need to say to get the scene across? Or doing that with Crouching Tiger/something like that video? Am trying to think of authors who write action/hitting scenes; a fanfic writer's blog once said they'd learned that from Jack Higgins - but I dunno that he's someone to absorb into your writing style.

There is a GREAT bit in an Eddie Izzard standup where he ponders the absence of great car chases in books relative to how major they are in movies, then tries to monologue a car chase.
The car drove fast.
The other car drove fast.
They speeded up.
They drove very fast.
It wasn't exactly working on a Steve McQueen level - maybe that's why some books cheat and have the set up of the fight then the equivalent of the coy row of asterisks which used to signal shagging aplenty between the lines in Babs Cartland. (& don't start writing like her, either.) (god am being v bossy here)
Row of stars isn't something you can use much, but it could be a cheap getout clause for a minor fracas within the sequence.

Too long, again. I should have credit for double my posts, I write so rambly. Sorry - I talk too much in RL, too.

Last edited by ness; 10-23-2004 at 04:28 PM
Old 10-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Master Fan

Re: Re: Re: Sean Calhoun

I couldn't have said better . Yeah you could reread 'Fangs', the fight scenes worked for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Half of Myself
Nicky honey, the fact that you're Nicky and amazing means that you can write it and it'll be great. have faith, it'll come. besides, you totally rock!!!
Shabana I read Bitter Ectasy and I liked it vey much. Good work!

I finally read Faye and Josh meme's and wow, brilliant Nicky. Pretty interesting finding out the dark and twisted past life of this couple. I sent you feedback

ness glad to see you're uploading all your YA fics in ff. It's great to find a new part almost everyday!
Old 10-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Master Fan

Quote:

Orton - I think you're right! I need to read some books with fight scenes in them. I haven't heard of the ones you mentioned though. Unless you mean the Francine Pascal series Fearless? Are we talking about the same thing here? Off to find some books. [/B]
Yeah Nicky thats the book some basic moves in there but I'm sure you can follow them. Even going on the net and searching for the names of karate moves might also help...you know getting the lingo down. But I guess the words after and before a roundhouse kick are the ones you should make sure are really intense...so it follows on nicely Maybe Crime books can help too

Susana glad you liked it sent the next chapter to Toria but she tends to disappear time to time Heck she's a mother of 5

Later

Old 10-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Loyal Fan

Fay + Josh 4eva? *shocked*

Thanks Taliann Yes, am catching up reuploading. Did chapter 7 of lost boys up to ff.net today, go me! Trying to edit as it goes along, which is interesting. One chunk to go, and done. Is it worth uploading Matchmaking and Conviction?

No plans to write new fic right now alas. V v v stuck. Are there stories on the way from anyone?
Old 10-23-2004, 07:47 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Orton
sent the next chapter to Toria but she tends to disappear time to time Heck she's a mother of 5
someone talking about me? lol i've been lurking for a while. just looking at your chapter now, Orton, so i should be sending it round in the next 20 minutes or so - unless a twin wakes up, at which point i'll be away for hours lol teething troubles. still. not good. but yeah, hopefully won't be long.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Master Fan

So next chapter is coming soon! Good news Shabana

ness yes, Lost Boys is been uploaded today and sure go ahead and upload Matchmaking and Conviction, what is abt?

Yep there're a few YA stories going on. Actually I'm having a hard time writing my first fic ever. It's a Will and Grace fic Don't think I finish it before last year though

And I think Troy, Toria, Nicky, Anja, Shabana and Patty are on their way of writing too
Old 10-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the advice Ness and Orton. Hopefully I could get something going once I really put my mind to it. But that will have to come after exams... I should really cut back on my internet time.

And Ness, I definitely think you should upload all your stories.

As for Faye and Josh as a couple... I don't know, it's a bit weird. I can see them being married, but I can't see them being romantically involved in a way that might be analogous to, say, Jake/Hamilton or Bella/Scout.

Old 10-24-2004, 03:03 AM
Loyal Fan

Some people call it procrastination but I call it fan forum...

Ness I know you don't actually know me but I've read almost all your YA fanfiction. My two favorites are Lost Boys (I'm actually the one who drop you a note in fanfiction as Mwaaah, I hate logging in so I just signed it as that) and Needy (I'm really feeling Jake in that story). If you haven't read Lost Boys -- Don't Read This Would you ever consider adding another chapter to Lost Boys. I've always wondered what J/H are actually doing in their new school...I like the ending but you know how it is being a J/H fan -- I could never get enough of them.

Nicky I've got a question about Josh -- consider this a drawback for creating such a perfect character, me bothering you about Josh all the time...-- What is Josh favorite flavor of ice cream? (I know he doesn't like eating but don't tell me he doesn't eat ice cream, I would ...that would be the saddest thing...

And another thing...What's the difference between AU and AR? I'm confuse with the whole alternate reality thing in fan fiction...

Last edited by dareyou; 10-24-2004 at 03:25 AM
Old 10-24-2004, 05:42 AM
Master Fan

Ice cream - Yeah, Josh doesn't really eat ice cream, but when he does (very occasionally), he likes mint chocolate chip.

I've never heard of the term 'alternate reality' used in conjunction with "proper" fanfic talk. In my opinion AR and AU are the same thing, but "AU" is such an accepted convention in fan fiction that fanfic veterans would use that label instead of "AR", which (at least to me) is merely what someone new to the whole fanfic practice would use, because they don't know the conventions. You might want to ask on the 'I can't stand...' thread though, because that's where all the experts hang out.

Old 10-24-2004, 10:22 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I've never heard of the term 'alternate reality' used in conjunction with "proper" fanfic talk. In my opinion AR and AU are the same thing, but "AU" is such an accepted convention in fan fiction that fanfic veterans would use that label instead of "AR", which (at least to me) is merely what someone new to the whole fanfic practice would use, because they don't know the conventions.
Nicky, i quite agree with you. I've never seen AR being used in all the time I've been involved in fanfic...and it actually took me a while to work out what AR stood for, haha , because I'd never seen it used before, or even thought of it being used to describe that sort of 'genre'.

DareYou, i bet it would be confusing for you to understand, as it would for any person who is 'new' to the fanfic world to understand..but AR and AU is the same thing. It's just always been known online as Alternate Universe, instead of Alternate Reality.

And guys, I have news. I have been sent a new chapter of A Magickal Trip (and no, it's not misspelt by me - thats how the author has always written it) that's not available anywhere else. I love exclusives. So next weekend I'll get a move-on and hopefully be able to code the chapters of that fic i still haven't added to the site, plus this new one.

If anyone hasn't read A Magickal Trip before, its available at SF and Fanfiction.Net. (Sorry, not motivated enough to find the link, haha ...so anyone that can provide one, would be much appreciated ]

Last edited by *pattyBOT*; 10-24-2004 at 12:04 PM
Old 10-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Loyal Fan

link to M Trip, etc

first, link to Magickal Trip:
j/h index at simp fanfic

Further thoughts:
If Josh doesn't appreciate fine ice cream I don't love him anymore. Well, not as much.

I've been reading fanfic since the 80s (it was Star Trek for me, the one with Kirk) and I think the tradition of AU over AR within fandom is from media fandom being the child of sf fandom, a bit. At least the earliest organised TVfans in the late 60s + early 70s tended to be round Star Trek, Star Wars, Dr Who, Battlestar Galactica, Blakes 7 etc. Shows like Man from Uncle or the Prisoner were borderline fantasy or surreal. & original ST had an episode literally set in an "alternate universe" so the fans already had the term given to them. Not swearing to that, though.

dareyou am dead flattered by what you said. Thats amazing + terrific that you liked it. I don't think I can honestly see writing another bit of Lost Boys; haven't got a picture of what happened next. I'll think and see if there's more to it. It feels finished though. Well, concluded anyhow. The bits I got strung out about were the thinness of my logistics for the kidnappers and the fact that there ought (but I find em hard to write) to have been more Bella Will + Scout in the body of the story.

On up side, decided to upload Matchmaking/Conviction next week. Is big ungainly mess of a fic so want to overhaul as I go -
the idea of it was that
Lena was being verbally bullied at girls' Rawley, the things they were saying were about her falling for gayboy + not having boyfriend
Jake felt responsible for so blind dated Lena w nice boy
J did not tell Lena or nice boy she was setting them up.
Things went south.
It was the 2nd thing I did and has no melodrama in. Hurrah!
Has no drama of any kind. Less hurrah. People eat burgers a lot in it. *sigh*

oh - and shameless plug. Attempted Buffy crossover of mine faltered in the face of tendency to get up and make pot of tea when fight scenes happen on screen leaving me unable to write them..
Bella the Vampire Slayer
which was fun at the time

Last edited by ness; 10-24-2004 at 07:28 PM
Old 10-24-2004, 08:25 PM
Master Fan

Brilliant, lots of stuff to read!

I love the 'choose your own path' thing ness. Will need to sit down and navigate through when I have more time. Can't wait, though. That will be my post-exam treat.