Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2016, 12:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

That's a very good point. She's hopeless.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 12-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

She is.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

We can only hope a demon/monster/angel ends her quick.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 12-19-2016, 06:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, the faster the better before the boys end up getting too attached.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

They'll do perfectly fine without her.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 12-23-2016, 12:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

They will They did fine without her for practically their whole lives, their doing fine without her know, and they'll do fine when she's (finally) permanently gone again.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

I wonder how they're going to take it when after 6 weeks of being missing she needed to be told they were gone, that she didn't notice on her own.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 12-26-2016, 06:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well the way I see it there's two possibilities, either they don't find out or they find out get mad and are presented as the bad guys cause Mary's a special little snowflake who does nothing wrong.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

I predict option #2! Can't have special snowflake Mary take on any sort of blame. She's next to saintly after all.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 12-28-2016, 11:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Of course. Honestly it pisses me off so much that she acts like a victim about everything.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

Me too. She gets a second chance! How many other people would kill for that? Probably everybody, Bobby, Ellen, Jo, Ash, Adam, Henry, Kevin, I mean the list just keeps going and going. But not poor victim Mary, who is only in her situation because she made a deal with YED to start all this mess.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 12-29-2016, 09:09 AM
Fan Forum Star

Not only is she getting a second chance, she's getting a pretty dang good one. She came back and has the opportunity to know her two kids who love her and want her in their lives, who gave her a roof, who put food in her stomach, who made sure she had clothes, who gave her a phone. Who found her quickly cause she could have just as easily be found by a stranger or not found at all and just wandered disoriented having to find them! Add to that that she's got her health.
I mean, just my opinion, but she's got it pretty dang good for a woman who was dead for so many years.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:22 PM
Elite Fan

I don't mean to defend Mary on an anti-thread (definitely open to hearing everyone's opinions) but I don't really see what she did as abandonment. Remember she was 29 when Azazel murdered her. The boys are in their 30s. Amara may have aged her up a bit to be a little closer to Samantha's age but in the character's mind she's still barely turning 30. She doesn't see herself as the wizened matriarch of two badass men. She's a youngish mother of a 4 year old and 6 month old.

I mentioned the Harry Potter universe on a different thread so I'll do it again here. It would be like if somehow Lily Potter was resurrected circa the Cursed Child era when her one year old Harry was now 40 with a wife and kids of his own.

And Mary didn't just take off like John did in season 1. The boys were there when she decided to go.

It's true that they need her. Sam did a beautiful job explaining what she means to them when he said just having her back fills in a big hole. They are her kids even if she missed out on almost everything. But she can't be what they need if she's looking at them and seeing everything she lost instead of everything she found again.

If Sam and Dean were worse off than they are this season than maybe I could fault her. I remember on Torchwood there was an episode involving Gwen tracking down the mother of a child who disappeared through Cardiff's rift in space-time. She thought there would be this big reunion between mother and son (who was being held in a secure facility). But it turned out the boy was now a disfigured adult who screams in emotional/psychological agony 20 hours a day because of all the horrors he saw while trapped on another planet. His mom just left. She abandoned him. It was too much for her to deal with not only losing all those years but getting him back when he was damaged in every way. I wanted to kick her in the face. I got that not everyone is strong enough to handle something like that but he was still her little boy. Just older. And traumatized.

It makes me think of one of my favorite lines from Firefly. When River said to Simon, "You gave up everything to find me and when you did you found me broken."

But Mary looks at Sam and Dean and sees health. Yeah, they have their issues. But for all intents and purposes are doing remarkably well. Especially for hunters.

Last edited by wilywiccan; 12-31-2016 at 09:36 PM
Old 01-04-2017, 01:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thank you for your opinion, but it's better suited for the Mary Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Not only is she getting a second chance, she's getting a pretty dang good one. She came back and has the opportunity to know her two kids who love her and want her in their lives, who gave her a roof, who put food in her stomach, who made sure she had clothes, who gave her a phone. Who found her quickly cause she could have just as easily be found by a stranger or not found at all and just wandered disoriented having to find them! Add to that that she's got her health.
I mean, just my opinion, but she's got it pretty dang good for a woman who was dead for so many years.
Exacty! And how does she repay them? by WALKING AWAY! ...I know the boys don't want to be 'paid' back...but at least acknowledged would be nice. A quick call even, once a week...how is that not possible? She can learn to play games and text but apparently the ability do dial is too much of a stretch? Did they have no push button phones in 83? Can she only dial rotary phones? Seriously!
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 01-04-2017, 02:26 AM
Elite Fan

The fact that Dean grew up with John & Mary in What Is and What Should Never Be and ended up so screwed up and feeling like a failure while in It's a Terrible Life he grew up without either of them and was kicking ass in life says a lot about their parenting.

We definitely can't just blame John in WIAWSNB since in that jinn world Mary was there the whole time. She either contributed to the unhealthiness or she didn't stop it from happening.

Quote:
Can't have special snowflake Mary take on any sort of blame. She's next to saintly after all.
I think that is how the boys see her. It often happens when someone loses a parent when they are just a child. I was very annoyed when Sydney Bristow (Alias) kept getting suspicious of her dad while idolizing her traitorous villain mother even though she found out all those dreams she had of what could have been had her mom not "died" weren't real things that would have happened because her mom was never that person.

Quote:
Thank you for your opinion, but it's better suited for the Mary Appreciation Thread
I'm not one of those "you can't talk about my precious character" fans. I wasn't trying to do an Ode to Mary if it sounded that way. I do not think she is perfect and am more than open to hearing negative opinions of her. Just disagree with some of the claims.

I rant about A LOT of characters on other shows/movies/books but for most I have irrefutable reasons that I could defend tooth and nail complete with a doctoral thesis. The exception being Toby from Pretty Little Liars and Selma Blair. Those two just rub me the wrong way.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread