Review: "Kitchen Confidential"
09/20/2005
By Sam Bear - TV

Pilot Review: Kitchen Confidential
Network & Time: FOX @ 8:30pm EST
Stars (Out of 10): 8
One Word Summary: New

"Kitchen Confidential" Review:

Restaurant antics failed to impress reality TV viewers with NBC’s The Restaurant, but FOX is giving the genre another shot with the narrated, single-camera, scripted style of comedy. Executive-produced by Sex and the City’s Darren Star and based on the best selling autobiography of famous chef Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential is a hilarious and refreshingly original workplace comedy.

Jack Bourdain (played by Jack & Bobby and Wedding Crashers’ Bradley Cooper) is a very good chef… the question is, three years after his career took a turn for the worst, if he’s mature enough to run a kitchen. If he can stay away from the booze, drugs, and womanizing that destroyed his career, he just might be able to make Nolita one of New York’s premiere restaurants.

The rest of the cast includes: Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s Nicholas Brendon as a pastry-cooking gambler, The O.C.’s Bonnie Sommerville as the restaurant owner’s daughter who has it in for Jack, Troy’s Owain Yeoman as a kleptomaniac with a love for veal, Sin City’s Jaimie King as a chirpy hostess, and Freaks and Geeks’ John Francis Daley as a young chef with a lot to learn.

After a tremendous pilot, Kitchen Confidential looks to be one of the years’ best comedies. It has a large cast of rich characters, and writers who pull no punches and will look to push the envelope as far as the FCC will let them. How much material there is in a kitchen workplace comedy is a genuine concern, but after one character lost the tip of his finger onto a plate of sea bass, the bigger question is, after episode two will you ever want to eat out again?

Pilot’s Nielsen Rating: 2.9/5
http://www.joecritic.com/revarchives/00000375.php
Old 09-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

Great review!...bad ratings. And I don't like FOX with bad ratings those people are cancel happy. Head Cases got canceled with a 3,5 rating. If FOX would promote a show once in awhile. sheesh. Hopefully ratings are better this week because this show is just to good to get canceled. What are Arrested Developements ratings?
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 09-26-2005, 04:57 AM
Ultimate Fan

Just swinging by with another review. I really hope the ratings this week are better.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Extreme Fan

Yes, the ratings were incredibly disappointing. And going by FOX's record, it doesn't fill you with much hope. But all i can rely on is that either the ratings improve or they take a chance just like they have with the wonderful Arrested Development.

Vote Big Brother - Summer's Nothing Without It
Old 09-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Moderator Support Team

The problem with Fox is...they often get great shows but they are kinda crappy with assigning shows to timeslots and marketing them properly. A lot of people haven't even heard of this show, let alone try it out. Such was the case with Tru Calling. That show died and got cancelled not because it was bad, it was actually very good, but because Fox decided to put it at 8pm on Thursday hoping those people who were not interested in the last season of Friends to change the channel and accidentally bumping into the show. I learned about that show's season premiere only a few hours before it aired. Their marketing really sucks.

I hope Kitchen Confidential doesn't follow in the same fate and get cancelled.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterley
I learned about that show's season premiere only a few hours before it aired. Their marketing really sucks.

I hope Kitchen Confidential doesn't follow in the same fate and get cancelled.
I agree that marketing will definitely be a huge factor in keeping the show alive. I was happy to see ads for the show at TVGuide.com in my listings section for the last few weeks. It got me excited for the show, and reminded me when it would be on since I don't watch FOX enough to catch the ads. I think it was very smart for them to market the show during the reality craze over the summer and during Hell's Kitchen. FOX better take care of this show because it could be something great if they gave it a chance.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Any ratings for the second episode yet? AD didn't do to good. But Prison break did well so hopefully people are tuning in early not to miss PB and are hitting KC. ...*off to look for ratings*

found them.

"The King of Queens," 7.1/11, and "How I Met Your Mother," 6.8/10, put CBS in a first-place tie with ABC's "Wife Swap" at 8 p.m. (ABC's numbers for the hour include football in some parts of the country). "Surface" posted a 6.1/9 for NBC to finish third. The WB got a 3.4/5 from "7th Heaven," beating FOX's "Arrested Development," 2.7/4, and "Kitchen Confidential," 2.6/4. UPN trailed with "One on One" and "All of Us."

...it even dropped from AD. Why are people not watching this show...ok yes very bad promotion by FOX but other then that, it's one of the funniest shows on tv at the moment. FOX better stick with it and give it a chance.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 09-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Extreme Fan

I find it hard to handle when FOX cancel an average show (Head Cases) after just two Episodes. But i'll never forgive them if they cancel this show before given it the chance that it truly deserves.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Master Fan

Aw, man. The ratings aren't too hot.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Extreme Fan

Just to show that FOX haven't lost hope in the show because of the ratings, an old friend of Bradley Cooper will be guest starring on Kitchen Confidential:

FOX says Michael Vartan will guest-star on a forthcoming episode of its freshman comedy "Kitchen Confidential," which stars his former "Alias" castmate Bradley Cooper. The episode begins shooting next week; an airdate hasn't been set.

Vartan, a native of France, will play an arrogant French chef named Michel who copies Jack's (Cooper) menu at his own restaurant and sets out to steal Mimi (Bonnie Somerville) as well. His actions spark a nasty feud between the crew at Jack's Nolita and Michel's bistro.

Just Click Here to read the rest of the article. Although if you haven't seen the Season 5 Premiere of Alias, then be careful.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Absolute Fan

I don't really watch Alias, but I remember Vartan from when he guest starred on Friends once.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Master Fan

That's awesome. Thanks for the information.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'd love to see Michael on the show!! This is great news...who knows maybe he'll even do more then one episode.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 10-01-2005, 09:05 AM
Master Fan

Great news!!

09/11/01=NEVER FORGET RIP PAUL WALKER- CORY AND NAYA
Elodie"Aujourd'hui il va pleuvoir,mais demain le soleil brillera..."