Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Master Fan

Yeah...Moz also mentioned that Angie was also a big reason why Johnny decided to end the band.

This is why I always get slightly panicked when members of my favorite bands start forming families. It's like Moz poisoned my mind.

Last edited by *Circe*; 06-02-2006 at 11:19 PM
*Circe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Master Fan

I must be a strange fan, because reunions don't really matter to me. In fact, I kind of don't like them in a way. I don't know why but sometimes it can ruin the legend of a band, in my opinion. I doubt that would happen in this case, but...yeah. I didn't have an end for that sentence in my mind. Oops.

That's all I have to contribute, at the moment. Besides that I'm currently listening to 'Beethoven Was Deaf'.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Master Fan

But see, I really did enjoy Pink Floyd's reunion for Live8. I sat there like this the entire time:

So I could only imagine what it would be like for me if The Smiths reunited...

Though, I know what you mean about reunions....the same thing goes for bands that have been around forever and refuse to give despite that they're past their prime...

Like The Stones.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:18 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Circe*
Ugh, I know! Johnny plays guitar ont wo songs for Behaviour...I love that album.
No way. I think Behaviour is my all time favorite album.

Do you like Pet Shop Boys, Steph?

We would never know what would happen if they (The Smiths) will reunite. I mean look at Duran Duran. Although the group never disbanded, the band falls apart in 1985. They reunite (the original five members) in early 2000s and they released a really great album and they will release another one this year.

My point, everything is possible, or I would like to believe that.
The Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Master Fan

Yup! Johnny does the guitar on "My October Symphony" and "This Must Be The Place I've Waited Years To Leave."

Of course I love The Pet Shop Boys! I was born to them. When I was in my mum's belly, they used to play them to me.

Fave song on that album hs to be "Being Boring," though. Is it strange I can relate to it and I'm only 20?

Behaviour definately is my fave PSB album...but a lot of that has to do with my insane love of Johnny Marr and how strongly he influenced it...

But Neil Tennant should be sainted.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:45 AM
Obsessed Fan

Oh, I love those songs and also To Face The Truth and The End Of The World.

But the last album, I don't know if I like it so much.

Maybe we should start a Pet Shop Boys thread. I'd love posting there
Old 05-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Master Fan

Seeing as PSB have been hijacking this thread...

Last night I was babysitting my cousin and they did this one hour preview thing for The Tube...some new music channel...

And it was brilliant! They played Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order, Tears for Fears, Prince ( His old stuff ), The B52's, Fleetwood Mac, Modest Mouse...and THE PET SHOP BOYS!

I haven't seen any of those videos in ages, but PBS got me really happy and excited.

No Smiths though. I was sitting there praying to the TV that they'd play a Smiths video (or The Cure) but nothing.

Last edited by *Circe*; 06-02-2006 at 11:21 PM
*Circe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Loyal Fan

It's always hard to see Smiths videos coz they only offically ever made two, what with Morrissey and Johnny both hating music videos and all.

Other footage is all archive performances.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Master Fan

I was waiting for "How Soon is Now" as it's the only one they ever play and I've ever seen.

And since I've only ever seen it maybe three times I always get really excited when I see it.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Loyal Fan

They didn't even make the How Soon Is Now? one. When the band signed to Warner (they're American label, as they were on Rough Trade in Britian and Europe), all the big American record execs wanted them to make a video in order to promote them in the states and get them huge exposure over there. Morrissey and Johnny notoriously hated music videos and everything they represented and upon starting the band had sworn to never buckle to pressure to make one. But it was the 1980s and videos were the newest craze, so their American label went behind their backs and made a makeshift video for How Soon Is Now?, which consisted basically of a girl looking moody amidst industrial bulidings and some performance footage of the band in black and white. Needless to say when Moz and Marr found out about this they were pretty pisssed off, even more so when they saw the video, which they felt was a joke and complete rubbish. They refused to promote themselves off the back of it and their relationship with their American label bosses got off to the worst possible start and would never get any better. The label pretty much never even really tried to promote them stateside again.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Master Fan

I've seen a "How Soon is Now" on Vh1 classic at my aunt's as she has this channel and I don't. It is black and white and has some strange color effects (really bad graphics I love old videos) and consists of Moz singing solemnly into a mic and cuts to some chick. Sounds about like the one you are describing.

Seen it about three times or so.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:02 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, the 'film clip' DVD I have of The Smiths is mostly just performances on ....'Top of the Pops', I think.

But I love the video for 'This Charming Man'. All the flowers and prettiness.

Which ones did they officially make? There's the one for Ask with that really gooby looking boy in it and...I can't remember what song the other one is for but it has a bunch of people with hair similar to Moz's on bicycles, cycling around...possibly Manchester. But somewhere in England, for sure.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:38 AM
Obsessed Fan

I don't think I've ever seen a Smiths videoclip, if I remember correctly. Not even on VH1 Classic, although I usually watch that channel.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:50 AM
Loyal Fan

The only two they offically made were the ones for Girlfriend In A Coma and Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before ( that's the one with the bikes that your talking about Andrea). By the time they were made Johnny had left the band, and Moz was put under increasing pressure to promote Strangeways Here We Come which had just been released. So he consented to filming two videos because the band weren't together to promote them on television shows, etc, which is what they normally would have done. The This Charming Man promo was actually from an old British television music show that alternative bands used to perform on.

Last edited by Dublingal; 05-15-2006 at 09:51 AM
Dublingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Master Fan

I would kill to see any kind of music video for This Charming Man.

Damn these music channels these day...they play the same idiotic crap over and over again.