Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Master Fan

Yep, Ellis never was happy, and she took it out on Meredith.

It'll be interesting to see Meredith reflect on the fact that her mother chose her, though, and gave away the child with the man she truly loved.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Loyal Fan

For an episode that I thought would irritate me more than anything, I was floored by not just how much I liked it, but by how good it was.

To get it out of the way, I am bummed about the severe lack of Japril so far and I can't believe there's been nothing for them in 4 episodes and all that jazz.

But I've been floored and overjoyed at the quality of the writing this season and this episode was a crowning achievement for the show.

I loved the use of the flashbacks, they were used to fuel the story in such a subtle way.

Cowardice has always been a part of Richards character (in his personal life) and I completely buy that his jealously of Ellis and his fear of leaving Adele held him back from being with Ellis. Back in season 6 with Gary Clark, when he's saying he's had a great love, I always thought he was talking about Ellis, he never treated Adele like she was his great love, but I do believe he loved her though.

The Meredith/Derek drama is interesting and i'm curious to see where it will go. Derek will continue to be bitter, but I liked how he loves Meredith enough to put that aside to be there for her when he discoovers this huge revelation.

I like Maggie, I really do, but I think she's a little self involved about this whole thing (which I get to a point)...she was looking for a specific scenario for meeting her sister and father and she didn't allow for the possibility that news of her existence would completely throw them and they might not be uber ecstatic like Derek was. She's not being fair to them and not realizing that she's not the only one who has a lot of feelings about this.

I get the feeling that the writers want to put the board drama to rest, hence why it's been dealt with in four episodes and the dangling thread (what will Alex do next?) was quickly resolved, which is fine with me since board drama is my least favorite, regardless that I wanted Alex to get it. I actually agree with Bailey getting it now, on paper (illegal activity aside) Bailey is more qualified for the position. Her ego is annoying, thinking she is a "surge of new energy", that's whatever to me.

BUT, I loved her when Richard revealed to her about being Maggie's father. Her elation that he was JUST the father, lol. Then her really being there for him by telling him what she did, about Maggie not liking him cause she doesn't know him, which is true. It was such a sweet moment and like the rest of the episode, it felt like such a payoff of their relationship.

The only thing that kind of threw me was Stephanie. She was being all sorts or rude and snobby to Alex and I don't get why. I wonder if being Bailey's "buddy" is going to her head. Bailey should know better to reveal board business to anyone not on the board or at the very least, she needs to emphasize discretion to her, cause it was appropriate for Bailey to tell her that and it was over the line for Stephanie to use that to rub Alex the wrong way. I wonder if that will go anywhere, it could go either way.

I enjoyed this episode and while it may be years too late, it felt like a huge pay off to old time fans or just anyone whose watched the earlier seasons and enjoyed them.

I will say I hope the "Maggie" part of the story takes a back seat now for a little while. We've met her, everyone is aware of her lineage, and her and Meredith are on some neutral ground right now, I'd like to see the other characters now.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

I didn't expect to enjoy the episode but it was actually really good and I was invested. Enjoyed all the flashbacks, they definitely didn't plan that story line back when some of the flashbacks happened but it fit any way. Richard was never portrayed as being confident, he is a confident surgeon but he was always afraid to risk it outside the ER.

Mer's relationship with he mother has always been one of my favourite parts, I can relate to her on so many levels regarding her struggle to accept her mother, even though she put her through so much misery and never really appreciated her.

I liked Derek for the first time this season, he was grating on my nerves in the previous episodes. Also, need more Amelia, she's awesome.

I hope the board drama ends now, most boring story line ever. Bailey's positive attitude is good imo, the board members are usually portrayed as stressed and unhappy, they don't really enjoy being board members, focus more on their personal drama, even during meetings. Either way, I hope it will be kept to a minimum.

Still not a fan of Maggie, why are they trying to portray her as the best surgeon to ever exist...it's annoying, makes the other characters seem less valued? IDK, it just seems weird that she's being so praised.

However I don't think they want to show that Meredith is worse than Maggie or her mother. If anything she's better than her mother because she's doing something her mother never accomplished, sure she's not as accomplished as her mother at her age but she's still managing a balanced home and work life. Besides, the OR moment with the balloon - maybe I interpreted it wrong but it showed that she was just as good as her mother.

Quote:
(illegal activity aside)
Illegal activity?

Such a pity they couldn't get Sarah Paulson back, she's amazing.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.

Last edited by Karma Police; 10-19-2014 at 12:37 PM
Old 10-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

i really enjoyed this episode and i haven't enjoyed a Grey's episode in so long. i always loved the focus on meredith and ellis and i'm happy that it is getting more even if it is because of maggie sister story. i enjoyed the flashbacks a lot, love that little meredith saved her mom's life. merder had good quality scenes and it brought back such old days grey's that made me love the show and what the show is suppose to be about. i just wish every week was like this one, then i would enjoy it more often.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragileღheart (View Post)
i really enjoyed this episode and i haven't enjoyed a Grey's episode in so long. i always loved the focus on meredith and ellis and i'm happy that it is getting more even if it is because of maggie sister story. i enjoyed the flashbacks a lot, love that little meredith saved her mom's life. merder had good quality scenes and it brought back such old days grey's that made me love the show and what the show is suppose to be about. i just wish every week was like this one, then i would enjoy it more often.
Agreed.

This episode is gonna make next week's episode hard to watch. To go from all Mer to Calzona is brutal. It's like going from season 2 to 10... Literally.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Master Fan

Actually from 2 (where MD was heavy) to 7 (where CA was heavy) I am not sure what was the theme, ship, charcater prevalent in S10.....it began well in the first 4 to 6 episodes but then lost ground and IMO got disjointled. There were some isolated good epis but overal was a bit messy or uneven...although S10F was really great, may I said...

Icon by Jaje
Old 10-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Master Fan

dp
Old 10-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Master Fan

Season 10 was all over the place, true. There was no consistency, period.

Let's just get episode five over with. Episode six press release should be out tomorrow. Hope it's more promising.

I wish all episodes could be like episode four.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragileღheart (View Post)
Word.

Heh, if only But let's hope there's more great episodes coming up this season.

Icon: Nikki
Old 02-25-2015, 05:23 AM
Master Fan

Of the 6 episodes I've watched so far this episode was by far the best episode I've seen in a long time. I loved all the Ellis/Richard (and young Meredith) flashbacks.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

Im liking this season SO MUCH BETTER than last season and maybe the last few seasons. Finally I feel like the show has given up some of gimmicks and has its heart back a bit. It feels more on track this season.

This episode was a really good one. Loved all the flashbacks to Ellis Grey because it really did bring it back to the early seasons. I love Sarah Paulson so much but I think I actually prefer Sally in the role. She looks more like her and sounds like her and she also seems likable but harsh in the same sense. Sarah came off TOO cold to me. And the flashbacks at the end were really good and it was great that Meredith was starting to figure out what had happened.

I felt really bad for Alex when he found out not even Meredith voted for him to be on the board. And her response to him was pretty harsh.

Derek was a jerk this episode, I am really not enjoying his character lately.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

Derek was always written in such a manner where he was dreamy but flawed.