Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2017, 09:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Definitely hoping that's true, and kind of hoping the next single will be out by then, too.

amelia | icon: mel
Old 10-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

What's a normal time between singles?
It would make for a great new single debut if she could perform it there Plus that's the next step for going abroad after that I'm guessing so she could continue to promote the same single

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 10-09-2017, 11:16 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I think it varies between artists & albums & singles But given that LSS isn't doing overly well they may want to release a second single just after the album to help promote it

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-10-2017, 06:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

The new Variety article and interview

Quote:

Kelly Clarkson on Her New Album, ‘The Voice’ and Clive Davis ‘Bullying’ Her

Throughout her career, Kelly Clarkson has paid homage to great divas, from Aretha Franklin to Whitney Houston. But on her new album, “Meaning of Life,” she borrows from another rock star: Michelle Obama. On the last track, “Go High,” Clarkson belts out: “When you go low I go high / I go high, I go high / When you go low I go high.” Doesn’t that sound familiar? “Yes, obviously,” Clarkson says. It’s from “the speech heard around the world.”

Clarkson, who co-wrote the song, says she was inspired by Obama’s address in July 2016 at the Democratic National Convention. “I remember seeing it on TV and just being floored,” she says. “You don’t have to be a politician to have experienced taking the high road. I think that’s a lot of us in whatever you do in life.”

Clarkson has never had any problems going high — just listen to her notes. But she’s also experienced her share of lows in the music industry. After winning the first season of “American Idol” in 2002, she was locked into a lengthy contract with RCA Records. She frequently clashed with executives there about the direction of her career. “I think a lot of artists have this story where you feel like you’re put in this box,” says Clarkson, who has sold more than 25 million albums. “I presented a certain path that they needed to fulfill some profit. Whatever. It’s just not every artist that had an arranged marriage right off the bat.”

“Meaning of Life,” which arrives on Oct. 27, is the album Clarkson always wanted to make. She says her new label, Atlantic Records, gave her the creative freedom she’s been craving. While her previous efforts veered more toward pop or pop rock, “Meaning of Life” offers a soulful vibe, in line with the artists she listened to growing up as the daughter of a single mom in Texas. “It’s just the first record I’ve made that I didn’t call my mother, wanting to quit,” Clarkson says. “And I’m not a baby, y’all. I’m strong. There are songs about it! I’m a very powerful, confident woman, but at the same time, you just feel beaten down.”

The music business could use a boost from Clarkson. Other than Taylor Swift, there’s been a lack of female talent on the pop charts this year, which Clarkson has noticed. “That was just insane to me,” she says. “There’s a ton of female artists that are so badass right now.” She remembers how women dominated the charts — in all genres — in the ’90s, as she lists off some of her favorite current performers: Pink, Adele, Alicia Keys. (She also loves the new album from One Direction’s most notorious heartbreaker: “I’m blown away by Harry Styles. And I feel like an ******* sounding so shocked.”)

Clarkson’s songs have always been synonymous with girl power, from “Miss Independent” to “Stronger,” which is quoted in Hillary Clinton’s memoir, “What Happened.” “It was pretty exciting,” Clarkson says. “I found out my name was in Hillary Clinton’s book on Twitter.” One of her new songs, “Whole Lotta Woman,” sounds like a bookend to Franklin’s “Respect.” “I grew up loving those songs, just to remind yourself how badass we are individually,” Clarkson says. “I think I imitate what I love, and I’ve always loved an empowering message.”

In person, Clarkson comes across like an instant BFF. She likes to hug everybody, including a Variety reporter who tells her to stay away because he has a cold. She arrives at our photo shoot with her husband, music manager Brandon Blackstock. They own a farm in Tennessee with chickens and honeybees where they plan to live with their four kids. At one point, she cracks a joke about watching “Wonder Woman” with her family. “It’s very hard sometimes when you’re the mom of little girls and all you have are these damsels,” Clarkson says. “These princesses are great. I love Belle. But it’s a little weird. She was trapped in a dungeon, and all of a sudden, they fell in love.”

Clarkson was only 20 when she won “American Idol,” the show that changed TV and the idea of fame for the YouTube generation. When she roamed inside the “Idol” house on the show, Clarkson refused to wear makeup, even when the cameras were rolling. “I’m not dolled up to hang out in my house ever,” she says. Her roommates would get up at dawn to do yoga. “I was such a night owl,” she says. “I ended up sleeping by the pool table and couch in another room. It was such a cool camp. Nobody knew what the show would be or any of us would amount to more than that.”

After she won, there were questions about her commercial prospects. Clarkson recalls that RCA executives were originally cold toward “Miss Independent,” the song that kicked off her post-“Idol” career. “I had to cry to get that song not only on my record but as the first single,” she says. “The only reason I got it as the first single was because it tested well. Everybody was like, ‘That can’t be. There are too many guitars. That’s not really your sound. You’re the next Whitney Houston.’” That’s not how she saw herself: “I love Whitney Houston, but I don’t want to make those records.”

After the song became a hit, she was shocked that the naysayers acted like they had supported her all along. “That first single for me was a very damaging time for my psyche,” Clarkson says. “It was like, wow. So people just lie.”

In 2004, Clive Davis took over RCA, and Clarkson thought maybe things would get better. Her feuds with the mogul have been documented in connection with the release of her 2007 album “My December,” which Davis tried to bury. But Clarkson reveals that the conflict started before that. When she played “Because of You” for him to consider for her second album, 2004’s “Breakaway,” Davis wasn’t impressed. “I was told that was a ****ty song because it didn’t rhyme,” Clarkson says, adding that he delivered the nasty verdict to her face in a meeting. “A group of men thought it was OK to sit around a young woman and bully her. I was told I should shut up and sing. And then, this is the best part. He [Davis] played me the song that should be on the album, which was ‘Behind These Hazel Eyes,’ which I wrote. Am I a ****ty writer?”

“That first single for me was a very damaging time for my psyche…It was like, wow. So people just lie.”
KELLY CLARKSON

Clarkson says Davis got confused and didn’t realize that she had written that too. “Here’s the thing,” she says. “It always sounds like I’m going against Clive Davis. You have no idea how excited I was when I found out he was taking over. It’s like meeting someone you’ve idolized since you were a kid and being let down. The only victory I see from the last 15 years is honestly just the fact that, even in such an incredibly not-healthy environment, we were very successful.” (Davis, through a spokesperson, declined to comment.)

After her contract expired, Clarkson knew that she needed a fresh start. She signed with Atlantic even though it was the first and only label she met with because of a closeness she felt to co-heads Craig Kallman and Julie Greenwald. “Superstars don’t go on the market that often,” says Green*wald. The streaming data from Clarkson’s first single, “Love So Soft,” surprised her. “It was down the middle, men and women. By the way, I would have bet the house that it was going to be all women.” That’s a testament to Clarkson’s appeal. And the three-time Grammy winner looks forward to stepping out of her box even more. She’s writing a musical for children and contemplating a country album with other Nashville artists.

Clarkson’s other gig will be joining NBC’s “The Voice” in the spring. Her addition to the show raised eyebrows, given that her name was also in the mix for the rebooted “American Idol” on ABC. Clarkson says “The Voice” had been trying to get her for years, and she was waiting for an opening in her schedule. Even though she was about to sign with NBC, she still considered “Idol’s” eleventh-hour offer. “We let them come to the table, because it’s my beginnings,” Clarkson says. “At the end of the day, I don’t like being separate from my husband. Blake [Shelton] is his artist. We’re all there. For ‘American Idol,’ you have to travel. And it excites me to do something different. I’m not going to lie: I’m stoked about pushing the red button.”

She was also drawn to “The Voice” because the mentors get to spend more time with the contestants. “On ‘Idol,’ you can’t really have a relationship,” Clarkson says. “And I, as you can tell, love talking and having relationships.” What kind of mentor will she be? “I hope I’m a little bit like Simon Cowell,” she says, pushing back against the notion the “Idol” judge was too mean. “For the most part, I love his honesty. This is not a nice industry. People think I am going to be super nice all the time. I am nice. But I also want to keep it real.”

and

Quote:
Kelly Clarkson Helps Reinvent the Teaching of High-School Students

kelly clarkson learned some of the most important lessons in her life from her mom, a retired schoolteacher from Texas. “I’ve always been into education because my mom is an educator,” the Grammy-winning singer says. “Teachers don’t make a lot of money. But she put her whole heart into it.”

That’s why Clarkson is shining a light on XQ Institute, a nonprofit backed by Laurene Powell Jobs, the widow of Steve Jobs. In 2015, the group launched a $115 million program called XQ: The Super School Project to find ways to redesign high schools across the nation, so that students can get a better education through innovative curricula, alternative teaching techniques and more advanced technology.

After soliciting suggestions from the public in an open call, 10 schools were selected as XQ Super Schools, each one more different than the next. For example, in Los Angeles, a school is devoted to serving homeless youths. And in a renovated museum in Grand Rapids, Mich., students learn about science through an urban river restoration project.

“There’s a movement afoot to change the way we do high school in our country,” says XQ Institute CEO Russlynn Ali, assistant secretary of education for civil rights under President Barack Obama. “At its core, especially around high school, the model is 100 years old. Every single industry in our nation has changed, and schools have remained frozen in time. We want to help jump-start that.”

In September, Clarkson performed at a telecast with other celebrities to spread the word about The Super School Project. She’s impressed by what she’s learned so far. “A lot of times in school, you don’t get the life skills,” she says. “They just want you to know what you’re supposed to know to pass whatever test it is that year. I don’t think anyone disagrees with the fact that we can do better in education.”

Last edited by heartღaflutter; 10-10-2017 at 07:12 AM
Old 10-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for posting it. I love the Harry part.

Me and my wild boy
-----and all of this wild joy
→ Jessica | creative dream
Old 10-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Thanks for those. Always sad to read about the troubles she went through

Quote:
She’s writing a musical for children and contemplating a country album with other Nashville artists.
She's what? Then guess the country album could still happen

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-12-2017, 02:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgonrodnad (View Post)
Thanks for posting it. I love the Harry part.
haha she likes to say it in interviews a lot that she likes his new music

yeah pretty cool that she'll maybe do that country album now!

And a children's musical? Not sure what to think of that really but intrigued to find out
It's interesting to see that Kelly is trying out various things now, writing, musicals, coaching and singing... Very versatile lady

There's a chance of attending a release party of Kelly's on the 27th!

https://www.ifonly.com/music/product...hotel-for-four

Quote:
After seven albums, Kelly Clarkson is ready to unveil her magnum opus. IfOnly invites you to experience a once-in-a-lifetime chance to meet Kelly, and be among the lucky few to attend her Exclusive iHeartRadio Album Release Party for her brand new record, The Meaning of Life, at the intimate iHeartRadio Theater in LA.

You and three guests will enjoy airfare and premium accommodations before attending Kelly’s highly-anticipated performance at the iHeartRadio Theater on October 27. Score some of the best seats in the house, then watch as Kelly performs for a crowd of only 500 super-fans, VIPs, industry insiders, and her personal friends. Unavailable for sale anywhere else, these tickets get you right up front at the pop performance of the year. Finally, your unforgettable weekend will culminate with an in-person meeting and photo with Kelly herself.

Funds from this experience will benefit We Are LA, helping to support nonprofit organizations in Los Angeles including Bob Hope USO and Children of Fallen Soldiers.

Enter to win before the deadline — Friday, October 20th, 2017 at 11:00 AM PT.
For those interested!

and she's at the Canadian Jingle Ball but also at the one in Boston on the 10th!

x

Old 10-14-2017, 01:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

She is so damn funny.

Me and my wild boy
-----and all of this wild joy
→ Jessica | creative dream
Old 10-14-2017, 11:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

she's so flustered So all over the place but so funny!

Kelly is doing a talkshow on the 27th! She'll be on Ellen's show!

Old 10-15-2017, 12:23 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Perfect Figured she'd go on there soon as she normally does. Hope we get an interview & performance

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-15-2017, 12:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

I hope we get both too but there are 4 guests listed for that day so not sure what to expect!

Quote:
Fr 10/27: Kristen Bell, Mila Kunis, Kathryn Hahn, Kelly Clarkson
Though it could be that the first three are there to promote Bad Mom's Christmas since they star in that, all 3 of them!

Old 10-15-2017, 12:50 AM
Graphics Team Manager

who knows hopefully they are all there to promote together

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-15-2017, 01:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

I hope so because Ellen's interviews with Kelly are always great!!

and on Monday the 30th she'll be on The View!!

Last edited by heartღaflutter; 10-15-2017 at 02:14 AM
Old 10-16-2017, 10:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I'm assuming that the other three will be interviewed together, so hopefully we get a full Kelly interview and not just a performance. Also, if she's promoting the River Rose book as well as the album, that's more likely for an interview, I think.

amelia | icon: mel
Old 10-17-2017, 04:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

I actually forgot about the book haha

This should make Chelle happy! She's heading for Australia

Closed Thread   Post New Thread