Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Master Fan

Episode #101 Discussion - Sex And The City Premiere

I figured we could discuss all the episodes one by one. So break out those DVD's and lets get rolling

Episode Name: Sex And The City
Written By: Darren Star
Directed By: Susan Seidelman

Ok I'm going to rewatch this episode tonight and discuss at length.

SATC
Old 11-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Elite Fan

I enjoyed this episode a lot. Its really strange watching the character introductions now because we know how much they change later on.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Master Fan

If no one has the book (Sex and the City: Kiss and tell) This is what it says about this ep:

Can women have sex like men?
New York Star Columnist Carrie Bradshaw tries to determine with her friends Miranda, Samantha, and Charlotte whether women, like men, can have sex without feelings. As an experiment, Carrie one-ups old flame Kurt Harrington, then meets Mr. Big; Samantha has a one-night stand with Capote Duncan, a man Charlotte wouldn't sleep with on the first date.

Sarah Jessica Parker (Carrie):

What the pilot did best was that moment when Big gives Charrie the ride home, and after that glib, surface conversation in the car says, "I get it. You've never been in love." And she makes some glib, sassy remark, and there's the "absofu*kinglutely" moment, and then they freeze frame on her. I just thought, "Wow. This could go on forever. This person has a million stories to tell, and if she lived anywhere else this might not be the case. And who is this man? And why are they so exciting.

Chris Noth (Mr. Big):

I didn't know Saraj Jessica at all when we shot that scene in the limo. I look at the distance between that and now, and it's very interesting to see how far we and the show have come. We didn't know what the show was, and slowly, to the beat of the drum, it started to create this roar. Sometimes we look at each other and say, "Can you believe this?"

Age-a-licious's Bootylicious Nsync Fanfiction Page
Old 11-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Elite Fan

Well to be honest, I didn't really like the pilot. I'm not a fan of pilots in general though. I hated Carrie's hair and apartment and I was not a fan of the Season One and Two interviews they did with random people. I'm glad that was phased out.

I did however like the introductions of the girls and also the first Carrie/Big moment when he picked up her condoms, lol.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Elite Fan

I've got the book...I'll have to read that bit later.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Extreme Fan

I didn't like the pilot all that much. Carrie's hair was, IMHO, ugly.

I thought the introduction of Big was well done. Chris and Sarah Jessica clicked from episode one. Also, I thought all the girls were well-define from episode one, which rarely happens in pilots.

The rest was sort of meh. The next few episodes were much much better.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Nikki*~
I was not a fan of the Season One and Two interviews they did with random people. I'm glad that was phased out.
I liked those interviews!

But i hated how Carrie talked in to the camera, i'm glad they dropped that.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Master Fan

I agree w/everyone who didn't like the interviews. They weren't needed at all.

Age-a-licious's Bootylicious Nsync Fanfiction Page
Old 11-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Age-a-licious
If no one has the book (Sex and the City: Kiss and tell) This is what it says about this ep:
[/i]
Quote:
I've got the book...I'll have to read that bit later.
Glad to see I'm not the only one with a real addiction to the show! I've got the book too.

SATC
Old 11-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Elite Fan

I'm so glad they dropped Carrie talking into the camera..I didn't like that at all.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Addicted Fan

So do you think it time to open the second thread?
Old 11-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

No, there's so much more to talk about.

Was there a question in the pilot? I was actually thinking about this last night starting a thread not about the eps, but about the questions she asked. This would be a good way to put in both.

We haven't even talked about Miranda or Sam.

I actually have S1 at the house so this is fun.

Also, I think we'll bog down this board with threads for each ep, can get a bit much. Maybe we can just make it an episode discussion thread and just go in order. It's up to everyone else.

I liked the way Big and Carrie met. I had forgotten about the condom meeting. That was great.

Didn't like the interviews either. They were okay but I think it flowed much better when she just lived and then wrote the column. We always knew she was doing research, she just didn't have to address it all the time.

Felt bad for Charlotte when Capote got in the cab and then went home with Sam. Charlotte looked really pretty in the opera/play dress.

Watching again right now, I like Carrie's hair, but her makeup does look a bit to dark.

Single Women, Toxic Husbands

Are men intimidated by successfull women?

Aww, question was have sex like a man? Did anyone ever do that? I had a few one night stands, but nothing major and never without feelings.

Aww even Charlotte in this ep is full of romance and love. That's nice that stayed the same throughout the season.

Watch life unexpected and glee.
icon by jess

Last edited by Josh'sTexasGal; 11-18-2004 at 05:18 PM
Old 11-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Master Fan

This wasn't my fav episode as I have said. It is alot like the SATC book by C Bushnell at first. I wasn't crazy about the flipping back and forth from character to character, it got a little tough to follow. I think Skipper might have been better off fixed up with Charlotte though. They might have hit it off a bit better. Its so funny everyone looks older in this episode then they did at the end of the series. And Carrie's apartment looked totally different than what it ended up being. Plus, she was typing on a big computer and not her laptop that was weird. But, I'm probably just being picky.

I kinda like the idea of a disucussion thread for each episode. The BTVS board does it and it seems to work really well. They leave it topped for a week or so to give everyone time to rewatch and disscuss it. Then they untop it and go to the next episode. Plus we already have a general episode disucussion thread. I just thought it might be fun to get us all watching the same episode. But, its not really up to me. I'm just happy to have the board.

SATC
Old 11-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's cool. Those are good points and it is a good idea.

So a week, so we have a few more days to discuss this one. I'm going to have to keep renting the dvds or just buy S1 to stay afloat.

Watch life unexpected and glee.
icon by jess
Old 11-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Fan

Hi,

Great idea!! I watched the episode again.

I will admit this wasn't my favorite episode. But I think it was good seeing each of the characters introductions so you weren't just thrown into it, you actually not a sense of what each of the characters were like, personality...attitude..etc.

Things got more exciting for me when Big/Carrie first bumped into each other on the street.

Carrie was what 33 or 34 at this time? I'm guessing Big was probably early 40s at the beginning? I make the comment about their ages only because I felt maybe Big had some more life experience on that level. Big always carried a sort of charismatic and confident attitude..hence the comment at the end that she wasn't like that..the type to have sex with no feeling and that she has never been in love. When the camera panned to Carrie after his comment, I think she was shocked...given the jerk that she slept with early that day and seeing Big relate sex and love..etc. I definitely agree with Sarah Jessica Parker that with that scene alone you could tell Carrie had alot of stories to tell