Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
The title of this thread makes me giggle inappropriately.
Always good to see someone appreciates a line, even two years later.

The thing about some of these early seasons (and this may be true with later seasons, I'll have to look a little more closely) is that towards the beginning of the season there would be a few key things from which pretty much the rest of the season's storylines could be traced. In this season, the two that stood out were Paige's rape trial and the return of Rick to Degrassi.

In regards to Emma, I think the first notable sign of her identity issues was after her break-up with Sean (one of those foundation moments in S3), remember how awkward she was at the rave with Chris? And then the way she almost blew that relationship because of her desire to get back at Sean. Then flash to Season 4 and we see her fall out with Manny and Liberty and then fall in with the popular and older crowd. She was called Cause Girl and in Rick she found her cause, only she couldn't handle it when others took it further than she wanted to. Anyway, to move things forward to the shooting, I agree that the issues were already there to lead her to her happy fun time at the ravine, but I also think the shooting may have acted as a trigger to bring those feelings and issues to the surface- in much the same way I've always felt Craig discovering his friend's body after he was shot played a role in triggering his breakdown.

As for the rest, I tend to think any romantic feelings between Alex and Ellie would have been one-sided in the same way that it was with Holly J and Fiona. I do think they would have explored their friendship a little more, though, before the change in Season 5.

I think Craig and Ashley were done no matter what, at least for most of Season 5. That goes back to my theory that (especially then) couple were put together on Degrassi to break them up.

And almost seven years later, it still ticks me off that they let Alex off the hook for the prank.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
And almost seven years later, it still ticks me off that they let Alex off the hook for the prank.
!! Yes!! Even though it was Jay and Spinner's idea, she was the one whom "pulled the trigger" so to speak.

{visit the '90s}

{please campaign & vote} mila kunis
varjak-golightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Anyway, to move things forward to the shooting, I agree that the issues were already there to lead her to her happy fun time at the ravine, but I also think the shooting may have acted as a trigger to bring those feelings and issues to the surface- in much the same way I've always felt Craig discovering his friend's body after he was shot played a role in triggering his breakdown.
I know we've kind of talked this out to death in here and in the Degrassi ramblings thread - and that's been a very interesting discussion - but the only thing I'm itchy to add is that I wonder if the whole PTSD-ish thing wasn't a bit of guard to preserve Emma's reign as Degrassi's lead. Like, people can make the argument that the shooting prompted her acting out...and I agree with that. But the thing is that I think it's a situation that anyone could find themselves in. It's a pretty common thing in high school to question who you are and what your self-worth is....as well as wondering how far you can push a certain situation. I kind of would have liked to see the story stand without the circumstances of the shooting being used as a bit of an excuse to Emma's behavior. Don't get me wrong - I never was one to be angry with like certain "haters." The reason I would have liked to see that is because characters like Amy and Emma are treated very differently.

Also agree on how the shooting prompted Craig's bipolar episode. I always thought it was intentional to have him discover Jimmy (no guys, he's not just there in the scene because he's Craig).

Quote:
Maybe Jay and Spinner didn't want to turn her in? Agree that it was strange. I always sort of felt like Alex was more scary when they were bullying Rick in Mercy Street and I don't think she ever actually hit him? Jay has always been a little too comical for me.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I guess if you want to explain it away, Spin didn't turn her in because of his guilt about blaming it on Jimmy, and Jay didn't turn her in as some sort of hopeful romantic gesture in getting back on her good side. The reality is I think the show tried to push the idea that Jay and Spin pinning the blame on Jimmy to be worse than the actual prank itself. That's not something I agree with, but I think that's the route they decided to go with.

It's actually something that turned me off of Alex's couple. My reaction was never quite the same to her after it became clear she was going to go unpunished.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

That's a good interpretation. I think you are correct, good sir. I don't really mind Degrassi taking that route because it created such a fantastic story. There was such tension as Rick was trying to discover who set up the prank and he's wandering around school, still tarred and feathered, with a gun in his backpack. Man, the tension! I think I felt it the most when he approached Paige in the caf, she apologizes, and it seemed to snap Rick out of it. It's going to be okay right? He's in the bathroom cleaning himself up...and then along come Spin and Jay.

I also wonder if the reason Alex was never punished was because it wouldn't have gone anywhere story wise. There was a lot of focus on Spinner and what would happen to his friendship with Jimmy. Jay was a good person to be Spin's substitute friend after his clique cast him out. But where would Alex fit in if she was kicked out of school? It might isolate her character too much; the Paige/Alex friendship would have been squashed and I bet we never would have had Palex. They might as well could have written her off the show.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

the shooting, spaige was slaughtered, no more of my couples were together, but still a good season. I didn't like when Sean left.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJ (View Post)
I've been doing the recaps for this on TV Tropes, and wow this season is a lot better than I remembered. A loved the little nuances in these episodes that I didn't catch the first time like

-Moonlight Desires got a little bit better. I can't believe I never caught this. Marco wasn't only just freaking out about the cheating, but he went on a crusade to prove that his blood was as good as everyone's else and he wasn't promiscuous like the common gay stereotype - yet his boyfriend wanted to open up the relationship and start ****ing other people. You saw how downcast Marco was when RA boy invited him over to his room.

Yes. I know exactly what you mean and I've also come to appreciate this episode a lot more then the first time I watched it.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Extreme Fan

In school today we had this presentation about Columbine. I kept thinking of Rick.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD9999 (View Post)
In school today we had this presentation about Columbine. I kept thinking of Rick.
Columbine is the back of mind whenever I think of Time Stands Still. There's a lot of ways that episode could have been presented and I'm happy with the approach they took when they could have presented Rick much more differently. I think it was smart to use the episode as a bit of a lesson on bullying and to this day I waffle about taking sides.

Recently in WA state there was a scary violent incident at a high school. So I was just thinking about the last post in this thread as I'm trying to understand why something like this has to happen.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Elite Fan

There was a shooting at my school. Honor student with a perfect average killed over a designer jacket. They were some gang members from D.C., I believe. My school bus had pulled off before it happened and I came home to my parents freaking out and asking me what happened. TSS definitely hits home. I was about Emma/Toby/Sean's age.

But I don't think the aftermath for TSS was that great. We had metal detectors, ID badges, and security guards stationed at different areas. Our principal was fired. Things definitely changed after my school's shooting. It took a long while for Degrassi to have those things.

icon
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I would agree with that last part, and I still can't believe that Hot Sauce was given the power to arbitrarily expel and readmit Spinner to the school.

As for Columbine, I can't imagine the impact that would have had on me if I was still in school. The thing I probably most associate with it as much as anything is that it was a day before my grandmother's birthday.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJ (View Post)

-I take back my beliefs that the writers were always going to set up Craig and Ellie. I think they were planning on doing a lesbian storyline - but with Ellie and Alex (look at the two of them in Queen of Hearts). But for whatever reason, they put Paige and Alex together. And it was awesome.
I've seen a couple people say on other Degrassi boards that the reason they abandoned that storyline was because Stacey Farber said no and Lauren Collins agreed to do it. No idea how true that is but that's just what I've heard.
ihavealife2uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

edited

Last edited by Collins; 01-23-2014 at 06:44 AM
Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

this season with the shooting was good.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

by sulkinsgregg.

Awww. When I saw this I immediately declared it my top coming out moment. But I couldn't even remember the episode but came to the conclusion it was King of Pain based on what hairstyle Marco had at the time. I seem to do this a lot when I get hit with Degrassi nostalgia. Favorite moment ever! No now that one is! Okay, I'll just say that this gif set made me appreciate the moment more. His mother's facial reactions are perfect for the moment.