Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Part-Time Fan

Great job on the OP!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Loyal Fan

Yeah, the OP does look great. It's very well put together.
Kwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Dedicated Fan

mellifluouscloud: GREAT JOB.

More reasons:
*Declan forced Holly J's face to him when she didn't do so on her own.
*Declan basically trapped her at Fiona's condo.
*Holly J's hesitation to say he 'didn't rape her' is even more evidence that she's emotionally traumatized by what he did to her.
*The horrible storyline in Love Lockdown could have been used in Hide & Seek.
*Hell, the episode in which Declan rapes Holly J is called Love Lockdown - shouldn't that be enough to convince someone it wasn't consensual?
*Because Holly J felt pressured by Declan.
*Because Fiona - Declan's own twin sister - yelled at Declan as soon as she realized what had happened to Holly J.
*Even if Declan was her boyfriend still, it'd count as rape.
*How can someone - who used to be Holly J's boyfriend - not notice her body's discomfort or her facial expressions?
*Declan knew what he was doing and didn't give a damn - watch part 2 with the scene when he's got his arms behind his head, naked, in bed, and being all smug, ugh.

What Declan committed is known as Acquaintance Rape. It'd be Date-Rape if they were still together, though.
Lexiness or Lexi~ #7 Adam Supporter!~ #22 Misfits Supporter!~
Supporter/Shipper of The Misfits, Eclare, Kenna, Fadam, Savvy J, Elitz, Ziley, Grossmance/Douchebag, Folly J, Team Bianca
http://lexikatness.tumblr.com/
regiusachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Dedicated Fan

Good reasons! And I love the new OP. I'm honoured that you put my vid in there, mellifluouscloud.

I love that Chantay is an honourary hater. I seriously think Chantay is one of the wisest characters on the show, everyone should listen to her!

Cuddle me, shipmate!
greenfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Part-Time Fan

I love the new OP! Very informative

I have a question to ask--do any of you find me a hypocrite for hating Declan/Holly J but liking Owen/Anya? O/A intrigues me and there are sparks flying between the two. I'm not glossing over the fact that I like them means I'm downplaying Anya getting unwanted attention from him. So what have you?
Eva Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:43 AM
Dedicated Fan

Eva Diva: ...Uh, what? Owen hurt Adam, hurt Zane, hurt Riley (with words), nearly RAPED Alli..
If Drew hadn't barged in at the right time in All Falls Down, Alli could have been raped by Owen.
Supporter/Shipper of The Misfits, Eclare, Kenna, Fadam, Savvy J, Elitz, Ziley, Grossmance/Douchebag, Folly J, Team Bianca
Old 04-13-2011, 04:29 AM
Master Fan

LOVE the OP!!! Great job!!

We should tweet a link to the producers/writers. I want them to see it.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Addicted Fan

Thanks regiusachan for the reasons. I added them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Canada (View Post)
I wish that an actual organization would speak out against LL. Right now it's just us fans, so people are brushing it off like it's just a bunch of annoyed Sav/Holly J-ers. I wonder who we could contact about this.
Me too. I wonder if there are any organizations out there that advocate against misogyny in popular culture? Something like that? IDK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Diva (View Post)
I have a question to ask--do any of you find me a hypocrite for hating Declan/Holly J but liking Owen/Anya? O/A intrigues me and there are sparks flying between the two.
In the first moment that they appeared on screen together, I thought they had chemistry and I was intrigued. But Owen proved immediately that he's still the same ******* he always was. He made no attempt to change his behavior or give a sincere apology for how he treated Anya. He showed that at this point in time, he does not respect women nor does he seem to have the capacity to do so. Anya could not have made herself any clearer and he still didn't get it and doesn't take her seriously. I'm sure there's hope for him to reform but he has a loooong way to go. If he and Anya got together, it would send the message that it's okay to treat women like **** because they're secretly turned on by it and eventually they'll come around. It would be rewarding him for bad behavior. What Owen did pales in comparison to what Declan did, but it's all a reflection of rape culture and the idea that men "can't help" being aggressive with their sexual desires, "boys will be boys," and other such bull****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Canada (View Post)
We should tweet a link to the producers/writers. I want them to see it.
I'm probably going to tweet it to Stohn.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Dedicated Fan

mellifluouscloud: I know the OP is already full with wonderful things, but...err, what about the ad campaign about men stopping rape? I forgot what the actual name was, but it could be a good attribute? *hides*
Old 04-13-2011, 05:36 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
I updated the OP as best as I could. It took me an obscenely long time and unfortunately I didn't have the hindsight to bookmark a lot of links when we were having all our really intense discussions, so if you guys have any quotes/statistics to add, please let me know. I'll probably add a "resources" list at some point too but I honestly don't have the energy to do it right now. But I hope everyone likes what's there. LilKamea, let me know if the new OP helps to answer your own questions.
Yes it does!! I had a friend who was raped and her situation was similar to Holly J's in that she didn't/doesn't think it's rape when it was. You can tell that it still scares the **** out of her when she talks about it and stuff.... :'(
LilKamea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Dedicated Fan

LilKamea: I always get the feeling when Holly J gets reminded about Yale, she's mentally going back to the night where Declan raped her. That's why I was let down when Holly J's sickness wasn't from stress dealing from that, but from other stuff...and having strep throat.
Anytime Holly J looks at something from Yale (the letter of acceptance), she seems to be having second-thoughts about going to Yale (...probably because her rapist and former boyfriend will be at the exact same college as her..).
Old 04-13-2011, 07:38 PM
New Fan

What I don't understand about Love Lockdown is that in the beginning it seemed as if the writers were writing this as a rape storyline, but then they decided at the last minute that they didn't want to have Declan be a rapist so they decided to change it completely. It was like, okay, why bring the subject of rape into the episode if you just wanted it to be a plot device to cause some lame-o drama for the Sav/Holly J relationship? Because I believe that's really one of the reasons this storyline even came up in the first place.
GiantStuffedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Dedicated Fan

Declan is not a man, okay!?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantStuffedDog (View Post)
What I don't understand about Love Lockdown is that in the beginning it seemed as if the writers were writing this as a rape storyline, but then they decided at the last minute that they didn't want to have Declan be a rapist so they decided to change it completely.
Yeah that's how I saw it too... so messed up. LL was just so horribly written.

Cuddle me, shipmate!
greenfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:11 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiusachan (View Post)
LilKamea: I always get the feeling when Holly J gets reminded about Yale, she's mentally going back to the night where Declan raped her. That's why I was let down when Holly J's sickness wasn't from stress dealing from that, but from other stuff...and having strep throat.
Anytime Holly J looks at something from Yale (the letter of acceptance), she seems to be having second-thoughts about going to Yale (...probably because her rapist and former boyfriend will be at the exact same college as her..).
Yeah... I always saw it that way too! And I thought Hide & Seek was going to be her being in denial or dealing with something like post traumatic stress disorder from the rape or something, idk. I think that they dropped the whole storyline with Declan raping Holly J because there are some people who are always saying that there's always a token rape storyline on the show, and maybe they backed out so they wouldn't be criticized about it being the fourth on the show (I think?)... but I didn't think Degrassi would take a route like that. I mean its supposed to be somewhat educational and rape is a serious issue that does need to be addressed so I don't think four is too many. But idk...
LilKamea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread