Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Addicted Fan

Yes, ben writes beautiful lyrics and amazing music. If he record his own album, I'll listen it. I think, it will be fantastic music. Hope, that his cooperates with popstars will not effect on his own music style.
I hate the small talk and the empty days

Old 08-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Master Fan

Yes, I'm defintely buying his album! It looks promising. I really want to hear that song he wrote for Amy (the not-so-nice one) but then changed its meaning because he had a change of heart type thing...

Ben's still so cool. I love those songs he wrote for Avril and Kelly.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:48 AM
Ultimate Fan

I think it's cool that he can write different kinds of songs. He doesmn't write just one type of song. He can be versatile and wroite for other artists. He can write pop songs as well as metal songs and I find it a sign that he's a good artist and musician. Artists have to experiment and try different things. At least, this is my opinion.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Master Fan

I'm curious to listen to the album, but I'm not sure if I want it.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Master Fan

Another article from chartattack.ccom:

Quote:
Ben Moody Talks About Life After Evanescence
Tuesday September 06, 2005 @ 04:30 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Ben Moody isn't bitter.

This is despite the fact that he abruptly abandoned Evanescence, the multi-platinum rock band he co-founded, in the midst of a European tour. His forgiving attitude ("I have nothing but love for Evanescence") is unlike that of his jilted bandmate Amy Lee, who publicly slagged off the guitarist soon after he left.

"She's still one of my favourite vocalists of all time," Moody says. "From the moment I heard her singing when she was 13, I fell in love with her voice."

He will undoubtedly find Lee's voice inescapable in the coming months, as Evanescence's second album is tentatively scheduled for a late 2005 release. It'll be the first Evanescence record made without any contributions from Moody. How does he feel about that?

"Honestly, I'm kind of looking forward to it, it's really kind of interesting. I don't know what it'll feel like but you know, I am a fan," he says. "It could sting a little, it could be totally exciting, but my God, there's just no way to know until it happens. But I'm looking forward to it, either way. It's a new experience."

Like Lee, Moody hasn't let his split from the band stop the creation of more music. His solo debut is also penciled in for a late 2005 release. "I've been writing and recording it for a long time and it's definitely the piece of work that I'm most proud of, that I've ever done," he says. "It's very heavy but it's also very vibey and very melodic. I'm dying to put it out and I can't wait to go tour it."

The record, tentatively titled Can't Regret What You Don't Remember, has been in the works for almost two years. Considering that Moody left Evanescence during that time frame, it would seem inevitable that his debut would carry some baggage. Moody doesn't disappoint.

"The record for me has been a very big learning process and a very big awakening, as far as coming to grips with my own vices and answering for my behaviour and my habits in the past and sort of growing up and accepting some responsibility but also just forgiving yourself for things that weren't necessarily you at the time," he says.

Moody, who recently became engaged to a studio manager, delves into explanations of his past vices (drugs and alcohol) and behaviour (an old reputation for being "somewhat irresponsible and crazy when it comes to my substance intake") without hesitation. He doesn't blame Evanescence for his substance abuse but muses that his deteriorating friendship with Lee probably acted as a scapegoat.

"We just weren't a team anymore," he explains. "And it was crumbling and I couldn't bear to watch it do that. I cared too much about it, and also, I wasn't myself anymore. And I didn't like myself anymore. I just didn't recognize myself at all. And I woke up every morning and I couldn't bear to do one interview without two or three extremely strong drinks in me. Not to mention a number of other things, popping pills, just because I had to be numb. And one day I woke up and I just didn't want to live that way anymore."

He took off in November '03 and, at the prodding of producer Don Gilmore, found himself writing with Avril Lavigne a mere week or so later. The two penned three songs. "We ended up clicking and we had a great time," he says. "If she calls me and asks to work with her again, I would absolutely do it."

But Moody is mum on whether Lavigne — or Kelly Clarkson, who he also collaborated with — contributed to his record. "I've got a few friends of mine who have come in but I don't want to say who yet because which ones are gonna make the record, I don't know yet," he says. "I tried to bring in a lot — a lot —a of really talented musicians to make this as good a record as it could be. I don't care who plays on it as long as the performance is as good as it can be."

He's quick to write off any sort of Evanescence reunion, though. "I'd love to one day be able to create music again with [other co-founder] David Hodges and Amy Lee as the three of us, the way Evanescence was originally meant to be. But I just don't see it in the cards."

This could possibly be due to the fact that Lee apparently rebuffs Moody's advances. "I've made some attempts at keeping the peace and hopefully they'll be returned one day. But there is no ill will whatsoever between Amy and I. I love her dearly and I wish her nothing but success. I hope that she wakes up with the same peace feeling that I have."

—Angela Kozak
Old 09-08-2005, 06:47 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M & M
I'm curious to listen to the album, but I'm not sure if I want it.
I will decide if I want the record after I listen to it.

It's nice to read about Ben still liking Amy and still wanting to be friends with him.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:34 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Think of a cuddly teddy bear, a warm and jovial type of guy — because that's basically who he is.
I met him a few years ago, and he is such a nice guy. He smiled a lot.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Elite Fan

Nellie- thanks for the article
Old 09-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Master Fan

Cool! I wonder what ever happened with his solo album. *does some research*
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Master Fan

I am probably the only one here that actually likes We Are the Fallen. I like Carly's voice. I really do feel like this is Evanescence 2.0., but it doesn't bother me anymore. Ben wrote Fallen too, and it's only natural to assume he wants to continue to make that same kind of music.

And, I'd like to add (for good measure), there will be absolutely NO FLAMING tolerated. This is not a Ben vs. Amy thread. This is a discussion about Ben Moody and his new band We Are the Fallen. If you break this rule, feel the wrath of Steve and Sheida!!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:48 AM
Master Fan

Nah, no flaming! I kinda feel for the guy! I mean, he wanted to go full speed ahead and got into the fame game and that turned Amy off I think. I have listened to WATF and think they are a very good band but they are not a GREAT band. I feel Ben's writing is not yet up to what he did in Ev which was super of course so, how do you duplicate near perfection...you can't! WATF I think was an unfortunate name choice also because it makes everyone think he's PO'd over the Fallen album - which he wrote most of! So far their music is fairly ordinary; Carly is just pretty good, IMHO, which isn't bad but they all have to step up a few notches to become "themselves". I know you must have read Moody's letter on how the Ev breakup occurred right? It made me feel sorry for him in a way and I feel he should never have wrote it...I think his band has a solid future but, change the darn name Ben! How 'bout We Are The World - oh, no, that's Michael J or maybe We Are The Rolling Sto...nope can't do that...how 'bout just We Are? I like that!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah definately no flaming allowed, though of course naturally critique of the album is allowed without bashing anyone which Im sure no one will do seeing as how Ben is an essential part of Evanescence's success

Ive heard WATF once and they were quite good, I was a big fan of Carly on American Idol and even came here to mention how I felt she looked a bit like Amy and maybe even sounded like her (though not as good) so it was nice to see someone else saw the comparison though as Larry said the name isnt really a good choice if the band wants to make a name for itself and to not be known as Ev 2.0

Im gonna have to listen to the album once more to join in full discussion though cause right now all I remember is is that they had Like a Prayer on the album and while I liked it quite a lot, I preferred Glees version

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 01-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Master Fan

Ugh, I hate their version of Like a Prayer!! It sounds weird to me. It's one of my favourite Madonna songs too. Glee's version was good. The whole Madonna episode was good. XD

Yeah, the name was a really silly choice. Ben says there is no bitterness, but it's kind of like a "screw you!" to Amy..

WATF have good songs. Some sound the same (first 2 tracks of the album) but there are some real gems. I love "Don't Leave Me Behind". The title track is also a good one. The ballads are really nice too, "Sleep Well, My Angel" and "I Am Only One". The best track imo, wasn't even included on the album: "Samhain"
Old 01-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost lullaby (View Post)
Ugh, I hate their version of Like a Prayer!! It sounds weird to me. It's one of my favourite Madonna songs too. Glee's version was good. The whole Madonna episode was good. XD

Yeah, the name was a really silly choice. Ben says there is no bitterness, but it's kind of like a "screw you!" to Amy..

WATF have good songs. Some sound the same (first 2 tracks of the album) but there are some real gems. I love "Don't Leave Me Behind". The title track is also a good one. The ballads are really nice too, "Sleep Well, My Angel" and "I Am Only One". The best track imo, wasn't even included on the album: "Samhain"
Maybe it's just me but almost all of their songs seem like ripoffs of Ev like you mention Samhain, I hear Ev's "The Only One" in that song and it seems too strong to be accidental and Carly's voice just doesn't have the depth of Amy's - it's very weak in comparison. "Don't Leave Me Behind" has unmistakable elements of "Imaginary" in it. "I am Only One" is the most original but it is a very weak song to my ears. Most of their lyrics also are very cliche, I mean, they really don't speak to anyone's true emotion, they are rhetorical at best. "Sleep Well" is a throwback to the original Ev sound on the EP's like "Anywhere" or "Forgive Me". It may be understandable because Ben wrote the early Ev songs and he is writing the WATF songs but I think he's sort of run out of gas. So, just critically speaking, as much as I want to like this band, I hear nothing I can sink my teeth into. Harsh but true 4 me!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Master Fan

Hmm, I really don't see the comparisons you speak of. I definitely see no comparison to anything on TOD. My bf took one listen to "Bury Me Alive" and said it was "Going Under".. but I don't see that either. XD I do however, get the distinct Evanescence feel. It reeks of it. Perhaps Ben is being smart in this, putting out music when Evanescence isn't doing anything. Ev is still marketable - he's taking advantage of this hiatus to maybe pull fans in his direction?

Quote:
It may be understandable because Ben wrote the early Ev songs and he is writing the WATF songs but I think he's sort of run out of gas.
I don't think he's run out of gas. If you recall, in his open letter, he said it was either him or Amy leaving. And he chose to leave because he couldn't imagine Evanescence without Amy's voice. I think it's just natural he would write in the same vein of Evanescence. He's taking off where he left off.

As I said before.. naming them "We Are the Fallen", a singer like Carly.. he knows what he likes. Even if it's the spitting image of his former band. I just know this whole "he ripped off Ev" thing is never going to die. Amy's going in a different direction anyway. So maybe we can one day love both for what they are? Amy will progress and diversify; Ben can stay with what he's comfortable with.