Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Master Fan

Ben Moody Appreciation #1 - Still truckin' on...

Right, since I've been getting lots of news about Ben through google alerts, I thought I'd start a thread for him. I'm honestly really excited for his solo album, which is set to drop this fall. A lot of good stuff is coming out in the last quarter of the year.

Here's an article that just came about Ben (from RollingStone.com):

Quote:
Moody Gets Life After Lee

Evanescence co-founder Ben Moody, whose "Everything Burns" with Anastacia is the first single off the Fantastic Four soundtrack, is facing his demons on a solo debut set for release this fall.
"It's a rock record, but it's a lot more organic than stuff I've done in the past," says Moody. "When it's heavy, it's straight-ahead heavy."

Moody is producing the album, with Jay Baumgartner (Papa Roach) co-producing a handful of tracks, and he's recruited Godhead's Jason Miller to play guitar and sing lead vocals on a few tracks. Drummer Lance Garvin (Living Sacrifice), bassist Marty O'Brien (Tommy Lee, Methods of Mayhem) and guitarist Michael "Fish" Herring (Prince, Christina Aguilera) round out the lineup.

The cornerstone of the album is a song called "10/22," named after the fateful night in 2003 that he abruptly left Evanescence, the band he co-founded with Amy Lee, just as sales of its album, Fallen, climbed past the 10 million mark. "The funny thing is when I wrote it, I thought I was talking to Amy: 'Tell me again your f-cked-up excuses,'" says Moody. "But I realized, as I was listening to it three weeks ago, that it's not about her at all. It's talking to myself, calling out my own bull****."

Moody has not spoken to Lee since he left the band, but he says that his door is open. "I love her. I think she's great," says Moody, who was romantically involved with Lee in high school, long before Evanescence took off. "We both needed somebody to blame when it didn't turn out like we thought -- but it's time for us both to grow up. We had a great ride. Let's learn from the bad times, celebrate the good, and drink to everything in between."

Several of the fifteen songs Moody has demoed for his solo effort are about the turmoil he has gone through the past few years, "having to come to grips with my own anger and self-hatred and things that I tried to pin on Evanescence." Moody, who was recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder, confesses, "It goes much deeper than anything that came from being in a band."

Although he suspected a medical problem might be at the root of his trouble, Moody had resisted seeking help, afraid of the stigma mental illness can carry. "So instead of being medicated by a doctor, I medicated myself with anything I could drink or swallow or put up my nose," he admits. After leaving Evanescence suddenly that October day, he became "way worse," partying for pure "fun youthful debauchery." Moody decided it was time to confront his disorder -- and enter rehab.

When he was finally ready to return to music, he got a call from producer Don Gilmore, asking him to play guitar on Avril Lavigne's sophomore album, Under My Skin. He and Lavigne hit it off immediately and ended up writing the song "Nobody's Home" together. (Moody lifts up his sleeve to reveal her star logo tattooed on his arm; Lavigne has a matching one.) Shortly afterwards, he found himself writing for Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway, yielding the tracks "Because of You" and "Addicted."

Moody admits that it was Lavigne and Clarkson who gave him the guts to cut a solo album -- even though he'd never sung before. "They're the ones that just told me to buck up and get it done," he says. "So that's what I did."
And I couldn't help it. My fangirlish side just jumped out when he said that he loves Amy. I wish they'd talk again. I wonder if Amy still feels anything bad towards Ben because of his departure.

And I totally didn't know Ben had a mental illness. I know that Amy said that he was really unpredictable, but I didn't think it'd be bipolar disorder.

- -
Nellie
Old 07-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Master Fan

Here's a similar article, but it has some new stuff.

Quote:
Moody begins post-Evanescence career
By KAREN BLISS -- For JAM! Music

Evanescence co-founder Ben Moody, whose duet, "Everything Burns," with Anastacia is the first single/video from the "Fantastic Four" soundtrack, is part-way through the making of his full-length solo debut, due this fall.

"It's a rock record, but there's a lot of acoustic vibey stuff, but it's a lot more organic than stuff I've done in the past. When it's heavy, it's straight-ahead heavy," says Moody, a native of Arkansas now based in Los Angeles.

The cornerstone of the album is a song called "10/22," named after the fateful night in 2003 when he upped and left the band he co-formed with Amy Lee, just as sales of its album, "Fallen," climbed past 10 million.

"The funny thing is when I wrote it, I thought I was talking to Amy," says Moody. "The chorus is: 'Tell me again your ****ed up excuses,' and I realized about three weeks ago as I was listening to it, that it's not about her at all. It's talking to myself, calling out my own bull****."

He has not spoken to Lee since he left Evanescence, but says his door is open. "I love her. I think she's great," says Moody, who was involved with Lee back in high school, long before Evanescence took off.

"It was a childhood dream. We both needed somebody to blame when it didn't turn out like we thought, but it's time for us both to grow up. We had a great ride. Let's celebrate it. Let just learn from the bad times, celebrate the good, drink to everything in between."

Much of the 15 solo songs Moody has demoed for the album are about the turmoil he has gone through the past few years, "dealing with having to come to grips with my own anger and self-hatred and things that I tried to pin on Evanescence," he explains. "(It goes) much deeper than anything that came from being in a band."

Although he suspected it, Moody has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. He had resisted seeking help before because he was afraid of the stigma or being told he was simply messed up, as opposed to having a disease. "So instead of being medicating by a doctor, I medicated myself with anything I could drink or swallow or put up my nose," Moody admits.

After leaving Evanescence suddenly that October day, he got "way worse," partying for pure "fun youthful debauchery," he says. "There was a brief moment of freedom when left Evanescence because the weight had been lifted of knowing that I was no longer destroying something I cared so much for."

Eventually, he went to rehab and began looking inward at his other deep-rooted problems.

One of the first solo assignments he received was a call from producer Don Gilmore, asking him to play guitar on Avril Lavigne's sophomore album, "Under My Skin." He and Lavigne hit it off immediately and ended up writing the song "Nobody's Home" together. Moody lifts up his sleeve to reveal her star logo tattooed on his arm. Lavigne has a matching one.

He was then asked to write for Kelly Clarkson, which yielded "Because Of You" and "Addicted." He says both young women encouraged him to make a solo album, even though he had never sung before. "They're the ones that just told me to buck up and get it done so that's what I did.

On the solo album, Godhead's Jason Miller also sings and plays guitar and is part of the band. "He's a ****ing amazing vocalist. He runs circles around me, but I'm doing 70 per cent of it." The full line-up consists of drummer Lance Garvin (Living Sacrifice), bassist Marty O'Brien (who has played with Tommy Lee and Methods Of Mayhem, and filled in with Disturbed and P.O.D.) and guitarist Michael "Fish" Herring (Prince, Christina Aguilera).

Moody is producing the entire thing, and Jay Baumgartner (Drowning Pool, Papa Roach) has co-produced some tracks. "I'm also trying to seduce Dave Fortman who produced Evanescence 'cause we made magic happen once before so we'll see if we can do it again," he says.

Michael Tate, formerly of DC Talk, also makes a guest appearance on a song called "Never Turn Back." Moody confides he also trying to get Jacoby Shaddix of Papa Roach to sing on the album. He adds that he will likely do a new version of "Everything Burns," the song with Anastacia "just to make it interesting."

Half of the 15 songs are studio tracks, Moody says. There will be 12 on the final album, with the leftovers used as b-sides.

As well, Moody is producing the solo debut for Mitch Allen, formerly of SR-71. "He doesn't have a label right now; just a bunch of hit songs," he says.

On another tip, Moody has started a production company with actor Zack Ward, after ending up on the Toronto set of "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" to film a cameo not 24 hours after leaving Evanescence. Their Makeshift Films is producing a comedy, "Crew Call" and low-budget horror, "Dead And Gone." Moody will appear in both. "I've been a ham my whole life. I've always loved the camera," says Moody, whose mom is an acting coach.

They have also cut the pilot for a variety show called "Zack's Barbecue," featuring bands, comedians, celebrity chefs, celebrity poker, and three-minute political rant. Zack is the main host and Moody a co-host. Items will also be auctioned by a different charity each week
from canoe.ca
Old 07-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Just a heads up for Ben Moody fans....Ben showed up at Kelly Clarkson's concert tonight and played with her on her song ADDICTED. He was wearing a Kelly Clarkson t-shirt as well. From reports, it was a great moment and they both rocked out like mad.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Fan

I wished Ben and Amy went back to being friends. They did good music together and were good friends. It's sad to see that go.

I alos didn't know he was bi-polar. That's a serious desease. I'm glad he's getting treatment.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceWithLife
Just a heads up for Ben Moody fans....Ben showed up at Kelly Clarkson's concert tonight and played with her on her song ADDICTED. He was wearing a Kelly Clarkson t-shirt as well. From reports, it was a great moment and they both rocked out like mad.
Cool!
Rocked out? Did they like, make the song really up-tempo or something..? That's one of my favourite songs. It was my "Phantom/Christine" song.

Anabela - Me too. I think if they just gave it a chance, they could become great friends again. Sometimes working with your best friend tears the friendship apart. I've seen it happen. Not cool...
Old 07-26-2005, 02:20 AM
Ultimate Fan

Ben in very cute on the "Everything Burns" video.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Master Fan

I still can't believe it's him! I'm just like... "Duuuude, that's BEN!" I guess a little change in hair colour goes a long way.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:25 AM
Ultimate Fan

I liked to see him in the video.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:27 AM
Master Fan

Apparently, on the new album, Ben doesn't even sing most of it.
That's too bad because I would have liked to see it all by him. I'm not sure where I read that from. I shouldn't have deleted that article!

@ this:

Quote:
"I'm also trying to seduce Dave Fortman who produced Evanescence 'cause we made magic happen once before so we'll see if we can do it again," he says.
Seduce?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Fan

I guess Ben isn't very comfortable with his singing. Afdter all, he spend all that time with Amy and she's amazing.
But I didn't know he doesn't sing in most of the album.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Master Fan

I found an interview at MTV.com with Ben. He talks about the split with Evanescence!

Quote:
Ben Moody: No Regrets
— by Rodrigo Perez

When you think of Ben Moody, don't picture a somber, brooding guitarist who wants to pummel you with big, bad metal riffs. Think of a cuddly teddy bear, a warm and jovial type of guy — because that's basically who he is. A man struggling with personal demons and a near-crippling substance-abuse problem? That's basically who he was.

As guitarist and founder of Evanescence, Moody helped create the sound that turned a hard rock band into a great crossover success — and then he left. It's no secret that he and singer Amy Lee were divided on a number of issues, both personal and musical, and Moody knew he had to let it all go.

After an uneven period of fruitful collaborations, drug and alcohol abuse and psychological turmoil (Moody was diagnosed with bipolar disorder), the musician found solace in rehab, proper diagnosis and medication and the joy of his upcoming solo record. Now clean and sober, Moody has made peace with his split from Evanescence, and he looks back while moving forward.

MTV: You've worked with Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson and now Anastacia; did this ruffle Evanescence fans' feathers?

Ben Moody: Oh yeah. Originally there was a lot of backlash; fans wondering what the hell I was doing with all these other women, [thinking] that I was cheating on Amy. ... I used to get trashed on the Internet every time people heard I was working with a new artist, but at the same time I'm just trying to make a living, and those people are sitting around talking trash on the Internet. It's kind of subsided though, and now that it's cool to like Kelly Clarkson, people just leave me alone. I'm in the clear.

MTV: Did you worry about your credibility?

Moody: Honestly, no; I didn't really think about it. I love collaborating with other people, and I wanted to do something new. I wasn't doing anything at the time; it was just a new challenge for me. I haven't really thought of having street cred or anything like that for some time. I mean, I was in a "chick band" for some time, you know.

MTV: Ever since you've been with Evanescence you've written for a female voice. Is that your forte?

Moody: The whole female thing, that's just who started calling first. Obviously I had some success with Amy, so if [a female artist] wanted to go heavier, I was the guy to call.

MTV: You don't mind being "that guy"?

Moody: Working with respectable, powerful, professional, successful and attractive women? No, I have no problem with that. [laughs]

MTV: Now that you've had more time away and perspective, how do you feel about the Evanescence split?

Moody: I have a lot more peace about it, even more than the day I left. ... I still feel it was the right decision because Evanescence has carried on, and they've had great success since me. So I know for a fact I made the right choice. If I stayed, I think Amy and I would have destroyed it because we just weren't heading in the same direction; we were pulling it in two different directions. It was bad.

MTV: It seems like you exited for the greater good and still have a lot of love and respect for Evanescence as people.

Moody: I do. There was animosity at the time because I was so upset that I had built something for so long and we couldn't make it work. I was pissed off about that. At the same time, I was denying my responsibility for that, you know? Now I can go back and go, "It was what it was." As much as they can't blame me for who I am as a person, I can't blame [Amy], or the rest of them for who they are. I totally love them and have absolute respect for them. If I didn't, instead of jumping ship, I would have taken it down. I would much rather see them succeed, because I have nothing but respect for them.

MTV: You said you had peace, but you must have been depressed about losing all those years you invested in the band.

Moody: Oh yeah, I was horribly depressed, and I felt like I had failed as a band leader, a professional, as a person. I had become somebody I didn't want to be. Whatever kind of success came along with that, I thought I would have handled it better.

MTV: Do you ever think you could have salvaged the band if you didn't have to tour so much?

Moody: It's possible, yeah. One of my best friends who was a monitor tech for Evanescence — he'd known Amy and I for a long time — he said, "I wish you guys could have two years where you didn't see each other." We didn't go a day without constantly being in each other's face for the better part of a decade. He was right, and I realized that, but we didn't have that option. One of us had to go, and it's not one of those things where you can take the time off, because then the whole thing would have went to crap. It was all or nothing.

MTV: Was part of it you guys moving in different musical directions?

Moody: Part of it, absolutely. [Amy] is much more creative than I am, I'll be the first to admit it. I am a bit more commercial minded, I guess. I like structure in songs, and I like making songs people can adhere to. I still like to be creative, but she is more educated musically, and she wanted to explore that. I wanted to do that, but keep in the confines of what I knew people expected from Evanescence. I think in my immaturity at the time, I did that in just a way-too-controlling manner — it was like my way or the highway. We just couldn't meet in the middle, so I was like, "The hell with it."

MTV: In a previous interview with MTV News, you described Amy as having the attitude that "Nothing's ever going to be OK," and you said you couldn't live like that.

Moody: That might have been harsher than it needed to be said at the time, but for me, that's why [my solo] record took so long [to complete] and took so much out of me. Because once you express it and you get it out, you've just got to move on. That's one of the things [behind the breakup]: I was miserable and I wanted to be happy. And there were times where I didn't think she wanted to let stuff go, for whatever reasons, and that's just not me.

MTV: Does your upcoming solo record, Can't Regret What You Don't Remember, deal with Evanescence at all?

Moody: Actually, there was one song, called "10/22," that when I wrote it, I thought it was about Amy. Then about three weeks ago, I realized it wasn't about Amy at all — it was about me, and I was projecting feelings I had about myself the day I left onto her. So that song was about the night I left the band. It's going to sound like I'm bitching about [her] but it's not. It's 100 percent focused on myself.

MTV: So you haven't reached out to Amy at all since you left?

Moody: I sent her a message letting her know the door was open and that I wished her good luck on the next record. I hope everything is well. [Evanescence co-songwriter David] Hodges and I went to see the final "Star Wars" on opening night, and we had an extra ticket. So we called her and invited her, left a message on her voicemail. I found out later from her manager that she actually considered going down. Who knows — one day we'll all go see a movie together.
If you want to see some pics and one video of him talking, click here!

I have hope that they'll be friends after all!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:26 AM
Master Fan

I think that is quite possibly the best interview I've ever read in my life. Man, I am so happy right now. Neither of them have said anything close to being this clear. Ahhhh, I"m so happy! It's pretty cool that he took a lot of the blame too. I thought that was very noble of him.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Master Fan

I was really giddy after reading that article. It's kind of closure on the subject. I wonder what Amy thinks of it!

Do you think that if they were to become friends again, they'd (along with David) could do some future collaborations? Not an entire album, but a few songs here and there?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Addicted Fan

Oh!!! It was so good to read this amazing interview!!

Hope that, Nellie! It will be amazing! Amy, Ben and David with Terry, John, Rocky and Will on one album? OMG... I would go mad from this luck! It will be FANTASTIC!!! Big YEEEESSS!

What do you think about this, that Ben cooperates with pop stars? Do you think is that good? I don't know what to think about this all. It's strange situation.
I hate the small talk and the empty days

Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Master Fan

That would be so cool! It'd be like a super collaboration. I wonder how well it'd work out though. Amy did say that if they were going to record older songs, she'd ask Ben (and I'm assuming David) to join them...

About Ben and popstars, I don't mind. I mean, he gives them good songs! And plus, he has to make a living somehow. And it is because of Avril (so says Ben..) that he decided to record his own album!