Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Obsessed Fan

Arrested Development Media Thread #3 - News, Interviews, Articles, Reviews & Hot Cops

New news thread starts here.....sources say.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Master Fan

Yay, new thread.
I made my icon.

Last edited by BepperGirl; 04-11-2005 at 11:55 AM
Old 04-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Ultimate Fan

*Buster voice on* I was made to understand there were Hot Cops here. *Buster voice off*

Is it tragic that everyday when I turn on the computer, I pray that there'll be an article proclaiming that AD has been renewed? Of course, there never is....but I always begin my day with that vain hope.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:17 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phee
*Buster voice on* I was made to understand there were Hot Cops here. *Buster voice off*

Is it tragic that everyday when I turn on the computer, I pray that there'll be an article proclaiming that AD has been renewed? Of course, there never is....but I always begin my day with that vain hope.
Nope, you're not alone. And the Veronica Mars renewal gives me hope that network execs may be looking at quality over ratings as a deciding factor this season. Hopefully AD follows and gets renewed.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Loyal Fan

Everyday I check websites...and face disappointment. I’ve started to think nothing is going to be released till the ratings for the season finale are released...that’s if a decision hasn’t already been made ( *crosses fingers* that its what I want)
Old 04-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Absolute Fan

Did you see the new TV Gal column?

Quote:
Here's my list of shows I desperately want to see next season:

# "Arrested Development": Would FOX actually cancel the best comedy on television? As this terrific series heads to its second season finale this Sunday (FOX, 8:30 p.m.) the show is unabashedly going for it without pausing to think -- will the viewers catch this reference? Will they understand the joke? Should we slow down? Is that too inappropriate? It's easy to see why everyone in Hollywood wants in on this show. But I'm not going to lie to you. I'm quite concerned. What can you do? Go to getarrested.com and get your friends in on the fun and tune in to the season finale to catch Marc Cherry, executive producer of "Desperate Housewives," guest starring as himself.
Also, we got a mention at TV Guide:

Quote:
If somehow Fox could be persuaded to keep Arrested Development around for a third season, this TV year will be an almost complete success.
Matt Roush is da man!

Last edited by Cress; 04-12-2005 at 02:18 PM
Old 04-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Is it tragic that everyday when I turn on the computer, I pray that there'll be an article proclaiming that AD has been renewed?
If it is, then boy, am I tragic! Honestly, I've revisited TVGuide.com more times in the past month than ever before.

I reallyreallyreallyreallyreally wish they would announce something before Sunday, because it'd be nice to know just how I'm supposed to watch the episode: As the last one for a while or (shudder) the last one for an ever.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Master Fan

I agree, Jessin.

It would be great to know if, while watching this Sunday's episode, we should be bidding the show farewell or celebrating it's success.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Dedicated Fan

Have you guys seen Matt Roush's latest dispatch on TVguide.com? There's some spoilers that I skipped in the second paragraph, but he stops before he gives too much away.

Cursed, I guess if we were getting any announcement about Arrested's future before Sunday, it would happen today. Sigh. Maybe they'll surprise us on Monday with a day-after renewal.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Obsessed Fan

From Watch with Kristin's interview with Zach Braff:

Quote:
Especially not when (drumroll, please) he plans on bringing the goodness of Jason Bateman to NBC. Awww, yeah-yeah.

Last week, Bateman told me he and buddy Zach Braff pinkie swore they would guest star on each other's shows. Z.B.'s done his part--hopefully you saw Sunday's hilarious episode of Arrested Development--but what about J.B.? "[Scrubs] came to me with something that involved more time than I actually had," Bateman says. "It was like a multi-episode thing. But I still will love to honor my side of the agreement. I don't know if it will happen this year. Maybe next year."

Braff explains it another way: "Now he's huge, that Jason Bateman."

He's kidding. Truth is, Zach and Bill couldn't be bigger Arrested fans--they even quote all the lines on Monday morning like the rest of us dweebs.

"If it gets canceled," Lawrence says, "I'm going to make a new show with the same cast called Arrested Shmevelopment." Please?
Here's the link. Contains Scrubs spoilers

Last edited by spazzie; 04-15-2005 at 05:10 PM
Old 04-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
"If it gets canceled," Lawrence says, "I'm going to make a new show with the same cast called Arrested Shmevelopment." Please?
Ha ha! It's cute that they pinkie swore.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Obsessed Fan

Great Will Arnett interview clip. http://www.star94.com/steve_vikki/WillArnett_index.cfm
Old 04-17-2005, 01:46 AM
Master Fan

Thanks Gleebo!

Once again, Yahoo has made the first four minutes of the season finale available to view online.

I think it's so great that Yahoo is doing their part to help the show find an audience. These previews can show the people who are used to changing the channel right after The Simpsons see what they're missing.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Addicted Fan

From Tv Guide's Watercooler

Quote:
Arrested Development
All right, which is more inspired, playing "Afternoon Delight" or referencing Soapdish? Right. Doing both at the same time.

And among all those willing to put their dignity on the line for a laugh — not that there's anything wrong with that — Henry Winkler deserves the most bravery points, I think, for fearlessly playing up the weird factor and taking one for the team. I mean, Jessica Walter is an absolute trouper for, among other things, being tackled by her son last week and flashing tonight, but is there anything funnier than Winkler's creepy wink, considering this is the man who, as the Fonz, taught an entire generation to be cool?

Well, you say, maybe Desperate Housewives' creator Marc Cherry being picketed by Ann's church group, or the fact that Buster has a big hand chair in his room, or the "hard cot" gag, or the use of "Christmas Time Is Here" from A Charlie Brown Christmas, or Maeby and George-Michael kissing (which is OK since, as Ron Howard informed us, she may not really be his biological cousin), or Kitty flashing, or Tobias flashing, or Kitty knocking Lindsay out, or George betraying Oscar or... or...

A fine season ender, huh? That's right, I said season, not series. One last plea, Fox execs, and I hope you're reading this. Do not cancel this. Next year will simply not be a happy one without Lucille and Oscar's "You're high! You're drunk!" routine.

What do you say? Please? — Michael Peck
Old 04-19-2005, 06:17 AM
Extreme Fan

From MSN.com:

Quote:
Was 'Arrested' Finale Final Show?
Apr 18, 9:42 AM EST

By Lynn Elber
Associated Press

The angst of the Bluth family multiplied in Sunday's season finale of "Arrested Development." But it's nothing compared to what fans will suffer if Fox's unconventional sitcom isn't renewed for a third season.

Despite a best comedy series Emmy and lavish critical praise, the series about a wildly dysfunctional Southern California family has been unable to pull respectable ratings.

In fact, viewership in the second season eroded a bit. For the season to date, the show has drawn an average 5.9 million weekly viewers, compared to the 6.2 million it averaged for the 2003-04 season.

A Fox management change also could affect the future of "Arrested Development," which was developed and given a second chance under Fox entertainment chief Gail Berman.

Berman left for a Paramount Studios job, and it's uncertain if her replacement, Peter Liguori, will have the same affection for the show. Its fate will be announced when Fox unveils its 2005-06 lineup in May.

In the finale, the Bluth family's very foundation is rocked: The model house for their star-crossed real estate development is falling apart because of shoddy plumbing.

Meanwhile, brother Gob (Will Arnett) has proudly produced a CD of his ventriloquism act with a black dummy. Maybe "it will heal this country a little bit," he says — although its racist lyrics send a black studio technician storming out.

The puns also fly, including one about Pop Secret popcorn and the possibility that one man's uncle may really be his dad.

The series features Jason Bateman, who won a Golden Globe for his role as atypically normal Bluth son Michael. Others in the powerhouse ensemble cast are Jeffrey Tambor, Portia de Rossi and Jessica Walter.

Sunday's half-hour ended with scenes from the next episode, the one that would open the fall season. Devotees can only hope the optimism isn't misguided.
And from USA Today:

Quote:
Cancel this show? That would be a revolting development
By Robert Bianco, USA TODAY

These are strange TV days for sure when That '70s Show gets an early pickup and Arrested Development is left on the bubble.

Sure, That '70s Show was more popular at its height, but the show now averages a measly 7 million viewers, only a million more than Arrested. For 1 million viewers, you're going to dump TV's current Emmy champion and hands-down best sitcom for a former hit?

That makes so little business sense and would be such an artistic disaster, I refuse to believe it can happen. So I'm just going to assume that Sunday's excellent installment is the season, not series, finale.

Arrested wraps up a stellar sophomore season by taking the Bluths right back where they started: facing financial ruin, family division and a threatened incarceration. Even their house is collapsing, which is what happens when you forget to connect the drains.

Sunday's multi-pronged plot is hilariously convoluted but has the same outline as most Arrested stories: Michael (Jason Bateman) comes up with a plan to save the family, and his family proceeds to gum it up. The most boneheaded interference this week comes from brother Gob (Will Arnett), but everyone manages to get in Michael's way - including Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry, who makes a cameo appearance.

So why hasn't Michael fled, as he often threatens to do? The reason is what stops Arrested from becoming yet another bitter anti-family screed: Michael stays close because he enjoys being responsible for the people he loves, as deep under the surface as his affection may sometimes be.

What attracts fans, though, is not the show's underlying sentiment. It's the heady verbal and visual dexterity - the quick sight gags, clever puns and topsy-turvy situations. Arrested revels in multiple meanings, unintended consequences and sexual innuendos, so much so that pretty much everything Michael's brother-in-law Tobias says inadvertently exposes his suppressed sexual desires.

Yet because it's shot without a studio audience, Arrested tends to just let its jokes drop, leaving it to you to find them. Don't look for punch lines. Instead, pay attention Sunday to Michael's deadpan reactions to the insanity around him. ("Great news! Dad wasn't crushed to death!" "Was there a risk of that?")

That Bateman deserves an Emmy should go without saying - but knowing the Emmy voters, it needs to be said early and often. If I had to pick just one other actor to join Bateman at the Emmys, it would be Jessica Walter, whose matriarch Lucille may be the most uproariously self-centered human on the planet. But there's not a single wasted character or weak performer in the pack. And yet this show is in danger of being canceled.

That's not just strange; it's insane.