Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~World on Fire~* (View Post)
What does this stand for?

Jackie I totally know where you are coming from the only redeeming part of season 7 is Kyle and Paige, especially in "Charmed Noir". Actually that could be the only episode I really love from that season.

I used to think that having a demon of the week on Charmed or a freak of the week on Smallville was stupid and campy. But I realized the more I watched different TV shows that certain plots structures work better in different tv shows than others. Buffy benefited greatly from a one Big Bad of the season type story-arch but Charmed was really at its best when each episode was something new and exciting. Although when they would link 3 or 4 episodes together that worked too. Zankou on the other hand, didn't work. A whole season of being unable to vanquish him? It only would have worked with a more likeable villian, like Cole. But the early seasons had great variety in demons and evil doers, they really tried everything to see what worked best with the show. And they came up with some good stuff, Tempus, Barbaros, the Angel of Death, the Triad.

This strategy really showed off the versatility of the show in the earlier seasons, kept it from being repetative, and gave the sisters numerous situations to try out their powers or learn something about themselves as sisters. This made the demon seem like an after thought to the main theme of sisterhood, even if the supernatural tended to infringe upon their bond occasionally. It usually gave them something to bicker about.
oh,yeah I did love Kyle and Paige.But it didn't feel like that was enough.
The other stuff you say about Zankou and that I really didn't get that...maybe because I missed a big part of season 7 but the things I saw did not make me impressed.

Season 1 is a very good season for all of us I think because it was the beginning.
Insurgent
Old 10-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Okay, i found season 7 to be horrible and i was actually appalled that the series was going to end on that note! So, i'm at least glad we ended up with season 8 as the final product. I didn't like season 5 either, except for a few episodes here and there. I thought there was way too much fairytale nonsense and the overall writing of the season left me with the distinct impression that it was created for a 5-6 year old audience. Oh, and season 6 reminded me too much of Harry Potter! With that said, i enjoyed season 8 way better than i did 5, 6, and 7!

Jackie, everyone has there own likes/dislikes regarding any television show and it's theme. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the show the same way when it continued on with Paige. For me, it didn't feel the same and it left me feeling bored. I don't dislike Paige and Rose's acting is fine but my feeling is that the sister bond lost the chemistry that Shannen (Prue), Holly (Piper), and Alyssa (Phoebe) brought to the characters and the sister dynamic after Paige replaced Prue. I just think that some actresses have better chemistry together and it shows onscreen with the characters they portray! The original sisters just fit better and it felt more real. When Paige came, the sister bond just didn't have the same feel that it once did for me as a viewer. But, i'll give Paige the small benefit of the doubt and say that some of the shift in storyline direction didn't help the characters and that also could have affected the presentation of the new forged sister bond!

Booey, i agree with your conclusion that some storylines are different which means some fit better with a continuous arc while others benefit more with variation in the running theme. I definitely think Charmed is a story that benefited from the variation aspect and that's why season 1 did so well along with the other earlier seasons.

Oh, and what exactly confused you about the episode, Thank You For Not Morphing, Booey?

I mean, i guess the idea of the episode was that evil shapeshifting demons that can take on human form moved into the neighborhood with plans to steal the book of shadows from the house. But, since the book is protected against evil, it wouldn't let evil take it out of the house. Plus, it was mixed in with Victor trying to come back into the girls lives to be their father. The evil shapeshifters targeted him as a way to get to the book!

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Loyal Fan

It just seemed so random to me in places, like how did they know Victor and where he lived? Plus I swear at one point they shapeshift into Andy but then he and Prue have this conversation that the real Andy knows about later on.

I don't know it just was a weird one to me, probably my least favorite in the season. Actually, it's probably the only one I don't enjoy.

Lois: (to Clark) Lana's your past, I'm your future.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, i understand what you're pointing out about that episode. I was a little confused about how the shapeshifters knew who Victor was and where to find him too and at one point i thought that their father was working with them to get the book but changed his mind in the end. In all of the times that i've rewatched the episode, i kind of came to the conclusion and guessed the writers just wanted us to assume that b/c the shapeshifters are evil that they just KNOW things an ordinary person wouldn't know without being told.

And you're right, there is that one time the shapeshifting mail carrier (the one that broke into the attic to steal the book) shapeshifts into Andy when Prue comes home. If i'm remembering correctly, Prue tells the shapeshifter about her father, Victor, coming back to town and that's how they must have found out about Victor. Remember, i think Andy asked her on a date b/c he had tickets to a game at that party and she told the fake Andy she changed her mind and would go with him to avoid going to dinner with her father. I don't know, but i think that it kind of played itself off b/c Andy showed up that night saying his plans fell through and that's when they talked in the kitchen. But, what confused me is why Prue wasn't ready to go out with Andy that night and what if he had never showed up on her door that night?

Yeah, definitely was NOT my favorite episode of the season, but i didn't mind it either...minus the few puzzling questions i, myself, had.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Master Fan

It's really fun to discuss though.I agree with a lot of you guys say bout of course I have my own opinions adn I can't say that I like absolutely everything about the show and the epies.What mostly breaks my heart is that they broke off all the couples I loved expect for Leo and Piper.

Also I have notice some bloppers that are kinda embarassing in some epies but when it is a magically maybe we shouldn't be to harsh with the critissm.
Insurgent
Old 10-06-2006, 05:36 AM
Cotton Candy

Hey guys! I'm so psyched that this thread exists. Season 1 is my favorite, by far.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Candy (View Post)
Hey guys! I'm so psyched that this thread exists. Season 1 is my favorite, by far.
That's awesome,welcome to the Charmed board
So feel free to discuss and share your opinions.
Insurgent
Old 10-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Cotton Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ¨¨~ J Erlotiel L ~¨¨ (View Post)
That's awesome,welcome to the Charmed board
Thanks

Quote:
So feel free to discuss and share your opinions.
I definitely will

Old 10-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Loyal Fan

Season one is my favorite season as well, tied with season 3 though.

Quote:
But, what confused me is why Prue wasn't ready to go out with Andy that night and what if he had never showed up on her door that night?
That confused me too Heather, I just find that whole episode confusing.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Season one is my favorite season as well, tied with season 3 though.

That confused me too Heather, I just find that whole episode confusing.
Do you guys mean the 1.02 episode Thank you for not morphing?
Cause I think it was pretty obvious that she wouldn't go because she didn't wanna met their dad,Victor.
Insurgent
Old 10-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Welcome, Cotton Candy! Like Jackie stated, feel free to post your opinions/views. I love to hear analysis coming from other fans and to discuss back! Season 1 is the best. It's my favorite out of the whole series followed by 2 and 3! Seasons 2 and 3 i equally enjoyed b/c there were episodes in each that i really liked.

Jackie, yes, that's the episode that Booey and i are talking about. We were discussing why Prue never figured out about the shapeshifting/fake Andy? There were some things that didn't make sense after that. Like, when she talked to the "fake Andy", she told him she changed her mind about the "date." She said that she would go out with him the next night so that she didn't have to go to dinner with Victor. But, when the next night came, Piper/Phoebe went to the dinner but Prue wasn't getting ready to go out with Andy! The "real" Andy showed up on the door telling Prue his plans fell through. Ummm... shouldn't Prue have found that suspicious since she was suppose to go out with him this night to avoid dinner with her father? Anyways, has to be a writing blooper!

Anyway, as i've rewatched season 1 and into season 2, i've noticed something else i thought was presented better. In most of the stories of season one and the earlier seasons, there was alot more involvement/personal contact with the "innocents" that the Charmed Ones were helping to save! I don't know, but it just seems that the Charmed story lost that touch/feel into the latter seasons. The stories were just more dramatic/personalized when the "innocents" played a bigger role because usually these experiences usually provided some type of growth/lesson for the sisters and the innocents both.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Loyal Fan

That's a good point Heather because in the earlier seasons often times the innocents would help them discover something about themselves or correspond to something that was going on in the sister's lives at the time. That aspect seemed to be missing in the later seasons. Being Charmed really became more of a job for them not something that they did to help people.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
That's a good point Heather because in the earlier seasons often times the innocents would help them discover something about themselves or correspond to something that was going on in the sister's lives at the time. That aspect seemed to be missing in the later seasons. Being Charmed really became more of a job for them not something that they did to help people.

Yeah,that's true.
Insurgent
Old 10-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Being Charmed really became more of a job for them not something that they did to help people.
Yes, that is exactly the impression the sisters gave off later on in the series.

They treated their Charmed Duties like a professional job... get in, do the job, get out! In otherwords, there was very little emotional involvement with anyone they were helping unless it centered on one of their own (Leo, Wyatt, Chris, one of the sisters etc...). And most often, there weren't even any innocents directly involved... b/c alot more of the demon vanquishes were a result of demon attacks directly against them not "innocents." It almost seemed like they went from "Protectors of the Innocent" to "Protectors of the Charmed Family/Magical Community."

Last edited by GrhmLz; 10-11-2006 at 12:52 PM
Old 10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Master Fan

Yeah,pretty much.
Mayve that was because at first the Source wasn't sure if they were the Charmed ones.Cause when Tempus comes in the first season he aks if Rodriguez can prove that they are the Charmed ones.
Insurgent
Closed Thread   Post New Thread