Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2017, 02:23 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Yeah. I guess that explains somethings, but not all about Betty. Guess those meds were her mom's idea. Too early to tell perhaps if they're truly working.
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift2Potter (View Post)
I love Betty more and more each episode. It is nice to see a dark side of hers. I also love her standing up for herself and for her sister. We really need to see some flashbacks with Polly.

Archie just got interesting in this episode. I love the songwriter plot and also his connection with the pussycats.

I just love the whole Betty/Jughead scene. I'm drawn to them.

It is nice to see Betty, Veronica and Cheryl in the same side

Not liking Ethel. (had a hard time disliking her because i love barb lol) but I think she would do something bad.

Well, at least Ms. Grundy is having a story aside from having an affair with her student.
I hated Barb and I don't like ethel any better.

Quote:
Betty does have a mental illness; it's Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder,
Except ADHD is not a mental illness its a learning disability.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Absolute Fan

ADHD is a brain disorder, and you could easily substitute the word "brain" for the word "mental" and the word "disorder" for the word "illness", so it's not wrong to describe ADHD as a "mental illness".

Autism, Downs Syndrome, Dyslexia, and other disabling conditions that affect the brain could also be classified as "mental illnesses".
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter (View Post)
ADHD is a brain disorder, and you could easily substitute the word "brain" for the word "mental" and the word "disorder" for the word "illness", so it's not wrong to describe ADHD as a "mental illness".

Autism, Downs Syndrome, Dyslexia, and other disabling conditions that affect the brain could also be classified as "mental illnesses".
um no! I take offense to that on a personal level especially as someone who cares for a sibling with DS. It's perpetuation a falsehood. Mental illness is different from a disability even if they both affect the brain. You can't take medication to stabilize DS. It's there irregardless of any meds one takes. Mental illness is much different and many systems go away or become less acute with the use of medicine.

ADD, Dyslexia and ADHD are classed as Learning Disabilities because it affects the way you learn. They are not associated with violent or violent acts.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Absolute Fan

I was using the term "mental illness" as a generic catch-all not meant to be insulting or negative, especially since, by doing so, I include myself as well (since I have Autism).

Regarding violence and ADHD, ADHD doesn't directly cause violence, but if there are other underlying/undiagnosed issues in play, Betty not taking her Adderall could easily cause behaviors such as what we saw in this episode, behaviors that, while not directly associated with her ADHD, would nevertheless be out-of-the-norm for her.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerette89 (View Post)
Why did the writers think that lipstick feminist revenge fantasy with racist undertones (in the same ep they were trying to show awareness about racism) was a good idea? I’m not even against violent revenge fantasies per se (quite like them if executed well actually) but this was just so messy on so many levels. They could have thought of a better way to explore Betty’s dark side. And if they bring mental illness into it (as they seem to be hinting at), it’s even messier.
YES. Chuck's actually one of my favorite characters in the comics. I'm disappointed in his portrayal but the CW's let me down in this department before. Maybe they'll treat Valerie's brother a little better.

I love how they're handling Jughead though. He's my fave.

icon
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Part-Time Fan

I was surprised by how much I liked this show. From "Eh, I'll give it a go..." to a colleague explaining the show to me during lunchhour a few days ago, to binching these episodes in a day and craving for more.

It was definately the better episode of the three, it reminded me of the show Veronica Mars a bit.

Betty and Veronicas friendship will be fun to follow.

Not that keen on Jugheads voiceover, the writing is a bit.. not good imo. But I like the character, and hope we get to see more of him interacting with Betty, Archie and Veronica.

Betty definately took a dark turn this episode, question is does she even remember it? She seemed a bit off with that detail with Veronika.

Archies storyline with Grundy really needs to die, asap. Just.. no.
The music interaction with the Pussycats were great though.

The music overall on the show is awesome.

The parents.. oh boy. I'd say Archie's dad and Veronikas mom seems to be the two solid ones.

Can't wait for the next episode!
Sirya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

I agree with you Shu.

Im surprised how much I like its too. After the pilot i was kind of underwhelmed but for some reason i was just drawn to it.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberry (View Post)
YES. Chuck's actually one of my favorite characters in the comics. I'm disappointed in his portrayal but the CW's let me down in this department before. Maybe they'll treat Valerie's brother a little better.

I love how they're handling Jughead though. He's my fave.
Yeah. Their shows ''based on comics'' tend to be loosely based on em. At least that's the case with the ones I mostly watch, such as ''iZombie'' & ''Smallville'' in the sense that I know in Superman comics Clark Kent doesn't run around with his ''super speed'' while instead he tends to fly. My local library system does have Archie books, but I haven't gotten around to reading em yet, so don't know all the differences off the top of my head.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
I agree with you Shu.

Im surprised how much I like its too. After the pilot i was kind of underwhelmed but for some reason i was just drawn to it.
I thought I would hate it since I loathed the comics but I got lured in by the promise of Dylan McKay
Old 02-14-2017, 12:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

i liked the comics but i didnt really read them, i think i read a few as a kid but always knew what they were.

but honestly the show doesnt really remind me much of the comics at all, its a lot eerier.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
i liked the comics but i didnt really read them, i think i read a few as a kid but always knew what they were.

but honestly the show doesnt really remind me much of the comics at all, its a lot eerier.
It reminds me of twin peaks.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:30 PM

Yeah. I'd guess that most people that watch ''Riverdale'' haven't seen ''Twin Peaks'' though. Twin Peaks main cast were not high schoolers either, though there was grown woman who thought she was & it got bizarre, but we'll see how this goes.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

i tried to watch twin peaks but i was so bored i couldnt get past the first like 15 minutes lol.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm still having Beronica feels after 1x03!

icon by Mel • lachlan ♚
a little chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread