Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2017, 01:47 AM
Obsessed Fan

They made a black guy the face of misogyny on an otherwise predominantly white show and had a white girl torture him in a context that makes it seem semi-justified (cool even?) and/or explained through her potential mental illness. As a writing choice it’s just super icky imo.
Slayerette89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yes the first one I agree with. Chuck did not have to be black. But I think whats more important is portraying more POC in the episodes. Josie was great this episode but it needs to be consistent.

I dont think they were trying to show what Betty did as "cool" though at all, I think the audience was supposed to be like WTF at her in that moment.

i do think having a mental illness could explain some of her actions and I don't really understand why people have an issue with that explanation? I mean murderers often have a mental illness of some sort, which is why they lack empathy/are able to be so violent etc.

I'm not saying Betty has the potential be a murderer but its possible she has a dark side that could be caused by a sort of mental disorder isn't it?
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:13 AM
Obsessed Fan

I lean more towards that impression too. When she goes too far, we’re supposed pick up there is something wrong with her. Which is why I’m dreading a mental illness story approaching. And I get where you’re coming from with the inability to feel empathy as a possible explanation as to why some people are violent. But the problem is that there is already a widespread belief that mentally ill people are a lot more violent than they actually are (I am no mental health professional and it’s been ages since I read studies about the topic, but from what I remember the percentage of mentally ill people who are violent is actually quite small and mentally ill people are even more likely to be victims than perpetrators of violence). And tv shows, movies, books, news, etc. reinforce that notion, which can be harmful to real people who are mentally ill.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:47 AM
Absolute Fan

Chuck is Black in the comics.

Now that Ive gotten some sleep, I can more articulately comment on the episode.

I've previously described the series as being a Noir One Tree Hill, and that's a description I continue to stand by, especially after this episode, which reminded me very strongly of the OTH Season 2 storyline involving Peyton and Anna, with some classic Buffy the Vampire Slayer "Reptile Boy" fun tossed in as well.

I liked that we're getting to see Betty andf Jughead be investigative journalists and delve into Jason's death in a way that Betty's parents - or at least her mother - have no intention of doing, which dovetailed nicely into the storyline involving the football team and their "score book".

It was nice to see Veronica stand up for herself and other girls in the school, and I liked that we were finally introduced to Ethel, whom I've fallen in love with. We also got a chance to see Betty and Veronica fully cement their friendship by teaming up to take down and expose Chuck and his friends.

The fact that the storyline allowed the writers to delve more into Betty's dark side is a bonus, and I now have to revise my hypothesis that Betty's mom got Adderall for her when she didn't really need it, because Betty definitely has some demons, especially after she went all Jekyll and Hyde on Chuck.

While we're on the subject, I'd like to push back against the notion that Betty's avtions at Ethel's mean she's crazy, because I think that's a step too far at this juncture. Yes, she clearly has some inner demons and Veronica was rightfully weirded out by her behavior, but Im I'm not personally buying the idea that she didn't remember freaking out and calling Chuck "Jason" and herself "Polly". She definitely does need some counseling, though, especially given the fact that we can now definitively say that she's got ADHD - likely triggered by her mom's blatantly Sociopathic berhavior - and some darker impulses that may have been fostered/exacerbated by her ADHD, her mom's mental disorder, and the situation involving her sister's mental breakdown.

I know that there are some fans out there that don't like Archie and have problems with his relationship with Ms. Grundy, but I personally find that part of his storyline really interesting. I also like the way they've paired him up with Josie and the Pussycats as a way of progressing and developing hos interest in music.

I mentioned this earlier, but I really like Juggy teaming up with Betty to run an investigation into Jason's death, which just keeps on getting more intriguing by the minute. I liked that we got to see Cheryl explaining what she meant when she asked Jason if he was "ready" in the premiere and what she meant when she told Veronica that Jason "was supposed to come back". Some people online elsewhere weren't buying the idea that she didn't know - or seem to know - why Jason wanted to fake his own death, but given the fact that she clearly had no clue that he was involved with the "score book" fiasco/scandal that Betty and Veronica exposed, I can easily see him deflecting her questions and her just going along with his plan out of her love for him.

I also liked that they used Juggy's investigation to explain the mystery of the gunshot that Archie, Ms. Grundy, and Cheryl heard by tying it to Dilton Doily and the fact that he and his Scouts were also at Sweetwater River on the morning of July 4th, especially since it ties directly into next week's episode and the question of what exactly is up with Ms. Grundy, which I can't wait to find out.

This show just keeps getting better and better every week, and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and the rest of the writers kerp finfing more and more awesome ways to subvert our expectations, whoch I love.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:36 AM
Master Fan

The episode was so, so good even better than last week's.

My favorite Veronica was awesome as ever. I loved all her scenes, she's so beautiful and fierce. I just wished the whole Chuck thing could have lasted a few episodes, but he was no good anyway.

Like the thought of Betty and Jughead working on the school paper together, the blue and gold. This can be a great storyline.

So Jason and Cheryl planned his fake death. He was supposed to call her. They both ended up hearing the gun shot. I loved that we got to see their parents again. Cheryl is certainly disillusioned when it comes to her brother. He kept so many secrets from her.

I just love how involved the parents are in this show. It makes it so much better in my opinion. We know that Archie's dad owns a construction company and that Betty parents own the town newspaper, the Riverdale Register I believe is the name. Do we know what Cheryl parents do? Josie's mom is the mayor while Kevin's father is the sheriff. Betty mom just kept pissing off people in the episode, loved when Cheryl's mother knocked the crap out of her. I loved the interaction between Archie's dad and Veronica's mom, I want more of their back history when they used to date. I feel like some feelings are still there between them.

Even though Archie omitted the truth about Ms. Grundy being at Sweetwater River, the scout leader saw her car there which the sheriff will soon learn. Yes, I'm so happy about this. I want them exposed. I'm anticipating the fallout. Was I the only one that loved when Fred Andrews was questioning Ms. Grundy? He looked so suspicious of her a little.

Jughead was on a mission in tonight's episode. I loved how he was like a dog with a bone. So now we know the scout leader was the person that fired the gun on July 4th. He has the makings of a true reporter.

I continue to love the friendship between Veronica and Betty. Betty had her back in the locker room in her own cute way. These two are awesome together. They make a good team. It's like they balance one another out. Glad to know that Veronica's mother helped them out with the principal. I have to say I loved the pool scene the most lol in the beginning anyway. Betty might need some help, she has issues.

Archie Andrews &Veronica Lodge
~Riverdale~
icon:Alexa|
Name:Marah

Last edited by Rickylious; 02-10-2017 at 04:25 PM
Rickylious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Moderator Support Team

Riverdale Boss and Lili Reinhart Weigh In on Betty's Hidden Dark Side - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com
My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Elite Fan

Speaking of Cheryl it seems she may have told the police that the Sweetwater River separates Greendale from Riverdale. In the comics Greendale is Sabrina's hometown.
dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
But the problem is that there is already a widespread belief that mentally ill people are a lot more violent than they actually are (I am no mental health professional and it’s been ages since I read studies about the topic, but from what I remember the percentage of mentally ill people who are violent is actually quite small and mentally ill people are even more likely to be victims than perpetrators of violence). And tv shows, movies, books, news, etc. reinforce that notion, which can be harmful to real people who are mentally ill.
Yes, that is definitely true! And I understand people are that mentally ill would be frustrated with it being portrayed as violent, HOWEVER, people that ARE violent usually do have a mental illness of some sort. Otherwise they would act on their dark thoughts. But obviously not all mentally ill people are violent, that is true. So I think its kind of a blurry line. Its kind of like All coca-cola's are soda, but not all soda's are coca cola sorta thing lol.

I don't care about the adults but I never do on shows.

I love that Betty has a darker side, it makes her character so much more interesting to me.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:13 PM
I am a basketball genius!

[QUOTE=Barstool Prophet;89167663]Watching Dylan Mckay ground someone was hilarious . Grundy needs to walk, making a kid feel bad for coming clean to help solve a murder is lower than low. A sticky maple? Jebus.

Nobody wants to ride the chuck wagon

I love Betty and Veronica on the same side

All I could think of is sharing is caring

A small moment with Jughead and Archie was nice.

Please no more creepy teacher stuff.
QUOTE]

Yeah. It looks like that teacher is going to stick around, but there are a few things on this show that could be considered creepy like that scene with Bettie towards the end of this episode where she seemed to have lost her mind at the sauna. I will admit that she looked great in that outfit & wig & reminded me of Jamie Lee Curtis in a scene in the film ''True Lies''.Thankfully Veronica was there to prevent her from doing something regrettable. I understand getting revenge I suppose, went quite too far for my taste.
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Master Fan

GET RID OF GRUNDY. Archie actually seems like a real person when freed of that storyline.

Lili Reinhart is so impressive as Betty.

That's all for now.
BlackHalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
I love that Betty has a darker side, it makes her character so much more interesting to me.
Oh same. I’d just personally prefer it if they made patriarchy (one of) the root(s) of Betty’s problems. Maybe she compartmentalizes in order to cope with society’s ideas of what women are/should be. I could get behind that so long as it's handled at least somewhat decently.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

id be down for that.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:30 PM
Passionate Fan

I love Betty more and more each episode. It is nice to see a dark side of hers. I also love her standing up for herself and for her sister. We really need to see some flashbacks with Polly.

Archie just got interesting in this episode. I love the songwriter plot and also his connection with the pussycats.

I just love the whole Betty/Jughead scene. I'm drawn to them.

It is nice to see Betty, Veronica and Cheryl in the same side

Not liking Ethel. (had a hard time disliking her because i love barb lol) but I think she would do something bad.

Well, at least Ms. Grundy is having a story aside from having an affair with her student.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Finally watched the episode last night and I loved it! I fall deeper and deeper in love with Veronica each episode!

The whole DarkBetty thing was really interesting, it was nice to see a different side to her. But it didn't just seem like a different side, it was almost like she had Szhezophienia, any thought on this? I know a lot of people are speculating she might have a mental illness, maybe it could be that? She did take on this whole other persona.

ALSO, THAT LOOK VERONICA GAVE BETTY when she walked out in that wig, I ship it so hard

I really want this Archie/Grundy thing to be over now. It's gross and boring, no one cares. I really like Archie but this storyline is ruining him for me.

Cheryl was PERFECT in this ep, can't wait for the unholy trinity to form, hope it does!

icon by Mel • lachlan ♚
a little chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Absolute Fan

Betty does have a mental illness; it's Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, which is why she's on Adderall.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread