Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 AM
Master Fan

I've always had mixed feeling about Emmett. At times I think he's great and other times he seems so immature with anger issues
Old 03-16-2015, 06:53 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Janice~ (View Post)
I've always had mixed feeling about Emmett. At times I think he's great and other times he seems so immature with anger issues
Which characters don't give you mixed feelings? Which ones do you see as mature?
Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 AM
Master Fan

Just my opinion about him in particular. I'm not commenting about any other characters on the show.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Just my opinion about him in particular. I'm not commenting about any other characters on the show.
The only reason I ask is because all of the core teens have had anger issues, every single one. All of them have been immature. I just wondered why you single out Emmett as sinister, as someone who gives you mixed feelings.

Daphne took money from the Kennishes under false pretenses, blackmailed a senator, took cocaine, pushed a couch off a dormitory roof, used a crowbar to damage a construction site, stole drugs from the clinic, assaulted Bay.

Bay does angry girl street art, destroyed her Buckner school mural with white paint, threw her helmet in the lake, stole money from her father's safe, bombed the Buckner statue, flung a fruit bowl across the room of her bio-dad's apartment, committed perjury, drank too much alcohol at a dorm party, and kicked her bedside table.

Travis cursed out a customer at the Kennish Car Wash, punched Noah in the jaw, tried to play vigilante with Daphne's mugger, broke a glass window at Carlton, refused to include the pilot program students (like Bay) at Carlton, and punched a fellow college student for insulting Bay.

Toby has done less, but even he grabbed Bay's arm and jerked her in anger over money, and he became violently angry with Daphne when she gave him bad cues for gambling.

Seems like Emmett is in good company. I don't understand why everyone else's errors are always forgiven, but not his.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Master Fan

I didn't say he's sinister, just my opinion as I said. I'm entitled to one and that's all I'll say about it
Old 03-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I didn't say he's sinister, just my opinion as I said. I'm entitled to one and that's all I'll say about it
Okay. I only ask because I don't understand why so many have a problem with that character in particular, when all of them have issues.

Maybe it is because Emmett is expected to be a romantic leading man, a Prince Charming, and it's difficult to live up to that image.

Lizzy tweeted the next script title:

https://twitter.com/lizzyweisssab/st...06364169146369

To me, it sounds like Bay is going to be regretting the mistakes that led to losing Emmett.

I guess time will tell.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:46 PM
New Fan

Quote:

I agree. His anger issues are the main reason I'm not a huge fan of his, he always lets it get the better of him. While all of the characters have issues I don't think they've been as consistent and stunted as Emmett's.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:38 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
The only reason I ask is because all of the core teens have had anger issues, every single one. All of them have been immature. I just wondered why you single out Emmett as sinister, as someone who gives you mixed feelings.

Daphne took money from the Kennishes under false pretenses, blackmailed a senator, took cocaine, pushed a couch off a dormitory roof, used a crowbar to damage a construction site, stole drugs from the clinic, assaulted Bay.

Bay does angry girl street art, destroyed her Buckner school mural with white paint, threw her helmet in the lake, stole money from her father's safe, bombed the Buckner statue, flung a fruit bowl across the room of her bio-dad's apartment, committed perjury, drank too much alcohol at a dorm party, and kicked her bedside table.

Travis cursed out a customer at the Kennish Car Wash, punched Noah in the jaw, tried to play vigilante with Daphne's mugger, broke a glass window at Carlton, refused to include the pilot program students (like Bay) at Carlton, and punched a fellow college student for insulting Bay.

Toby has done less, but even he grabbed Bay's arm and jerked her in anger over money, and he became violently angry with Daphne when she gave him bad cues for gambling.

Seems like Emmett is in good company. I don't understand why everyone else's errors are always forgiven, but not his.
But his are...we just don't agree with your idolisation of him! Daphne has hardly been forgiven...there are negative posts everyday that she got 'let off' by Bay taking the fall. Bay has actually got mixed reaction post incidents..some angry at her taking the fall and some at the tank incident. She also got a lot of flack for cheating

But I simply don't agree with the analogy of Emmett as the perfect boyfriend walked over by Bay. Some of the expectations you list are learnings of a married woman after 10 years nt=ot a 19 year old barely an adult! But I do get frustrated that under one character it's a bad idea but another character can do the same thing and it is 'brave'.

On the one hand you state that you can't force a partner into monogamy but in the same instance you want to enforce your levels of sharing secrets/ your level of intimacy as "love". For me, I would not share the aneurism with anyone except someone who I was close, but distant enough I didn't care to the same way. That is not me being wrong...that is who I am and what I need. Bay is not wrong for NOT sharing this level of intimacy you see as necessary and nor is that why Emmett and her broke up. They broke up due to distance, moving apart, months on a different side of the continent and then an "ambitious" cheating/ rape (either way bad!). Nor was the prom a factor...that actually showed a sweet side of them!

You can't claim this enforced monogamy as wrong and then claim some level of betrayal for not telling a partner every intimate detail of your mind. And no, Emmett didn't deserve to know as her partner...he only deserved to know if it was found to be real, if she was pregnant etc...
Old 03-17-2015, 04:08 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Break the Cycle (View Post)
I agree. His anger issues are the main reason I'm not a huge fan of his, he always lets it get the better of him. While all of the characters have issues I don't think they've been as consistent and stunted as Emmett's.
That's interesting that you agree. You are both in good company.

Posts on the official Facebook page typically receive 30 or 40 comments. Something truly controversial may receive 300 or 400 posts. Six hundred is probably the most I've ever seen.

This week, Emmett received well over FIVE THOUSAND "hate" replies on one post.

No other character has received that. Not even Tank, after Black and Gray.

With that kind of momentum, we might as well ALL join the bandwagon.

It's "Let's All Hate on Emmett" party time! Woo Hoo!

Perhaps people ARE disappointed that his character is not the perfect romantic lead they expect him to be.

Being "Prince Charming" isn't easy to attain, especially when writers are trying to make your character appear human and complex.

Emmett's inability to meet THAT expectation seems to have everyone (except me) unable to see anything beyond his clay feet.

For the record, I do not believe Emmett broke up with Bay out of anger over Tank. If so, he would not have told her that they could get back together in a few years. Emmett broke up with Bay because he feels disconnected from her. Her secrets, broken promises, and the distance between them caused a lack of connection.

Personally, I'll take Emmett's brand of anger and immaturity over anyone else's on the show.
  • Travis punched two people in the face in anger. Emmett has never hit anyone.

• Toby yanked Bay by the arm in anger. Emmett has never yanked anyone.

• Toby assaulted Emmett, pushing him down to the ground, in anger. Emmett has never assaulted anyone.

• Daphne assaulted Bay, pushing her down to the ground, in anger. Again, Emmett has never assaulted anyone.

• Daphne and Bay destroyed property in anger. Emmett never destroyed property, other than lovingly putting up a billboard and timelines for Bay.

• Daphne stole drugs. Bay stole money. Emmett has never stolen anything.

• Daphne blackmailed a senator. Bay perjured herself. Emmett has never committed blackmail or perjury.

Does Emmett always let his anger get the better of him? REALLY?

Have none of the other characters been as consistently stunted by anger as Emmett? Is he the WORST?

Because, to me, Emmett is the LEAST stunted by anger of any other character.

Does he experience anger? Yes.

Stunted by it? No.

Still, if you look at the official Switched at Birth Facebook posts and here on Fan Forum, you realize that Emmett must be REAL IMMATURE.

He gets a pout on his face when he communicates. (That's necessary for ASL, at times.)

Emmett punched a fireplace once, injuring his hand, when his father gave up custody of him.

Can you believe that?

In fact, Emmett felt so abandoned by his father, that he followed THAT up by drinking alcohol and having sex with someone.

Can you imagine Bay or Daphne ever feeling abandoned, and then, drinking alcohol and having sex?

Yes, I can. It has happened to both of them.

But people say Emmett is the one with serious anger issues?

With over 5000 Facebook HATE posts, Emmett's anger issues must be so much worse than any of the other characters on the show, though. They have to be with that kind of vitriol.

I'm sure people are wondering how anyone (like me) could be his fan.

It's just that I don't see it. But I will admit I am fighting a losing battle defending Emmett, because people seem to have mixed feelings about him, at best, or feel he is stunted by his serious anger issues, at worst. (And those are the kind posts about Emmett, these days.)
  • Where's Noah when you need him? He makes a good romantic lead. Sure, Noah told Travis he sounds like a seal, but he had a good reason for that. And yeah, Noah hid his true feelings for Daphne from Bay, but that's only because he didn't want to hurt Bay.

• Where's Ty? Now, THERE is a romantic lead, for you. Ty would never punch anything, well, except that one time, when he took a swing at his army buddy. But Ty IS respectful. He only calls Bay a "rich white girl" and a "princess" when he is really feeling frustrated by her. And Ty honestly regretted that he bullied Bay up onto that platform and made her jump. Besides, that experience was GOOD for Bay. She needed to break out of her comfort zone.

• Where's Tank? Now, there is a gentleman, with romantic lead potential. True, yeah, he took a swing at Emmett, but you CANNOT blame Tank for that kind of violence. He had been drinking, and Emmett had it coming--so that makes it okay. Tank never pressured Bay or made her feel guilty for not being ready to take the next step in their relationship. Oh, wait a minute, yeah, he did. But that's okay, because he apologized for that. It's not like he just took what he wanted from Bay. Well, yeah, he sort of did, but she gave him the "drunk" okay, so you know, it's all good.

Okay, after reviewing Bay's OTHER boyfriends, I am no longer convinced that Emmett could be the one most consistently stunted by his anger issues and emotional problems.

I just do not understand why anyone would feel that way.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, though, so I will stick with mine.

I like Emmett Bledsoe.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:15 PM
New Fan

Are you comparing our posts to hate? I didn't realize that acknowledging that he has issues and not viewing him as the best thing to happen to Switched at Birth counts as hate. I don't hold Emmett to a higher standard than any other character on this show, and I've certainly never seen him as this mythic "perfect romantic lead prince charming".

I don't see why we have to compare Emmett to anyone on the show in order for his actions to be judged as immature. There is no scale that measures his maturity against Bay's or Daphne's or Travis', why can't we discuss Emmett without bringing others into it? I stand by what I said, YES Emmett does have serious anger issues, ones that have been present since season 1 and I feel like he has not grown at all (in regards to that at least) through the seasons.

I understand that we all have character biases, but just because there are people who are not fans of some of Emmett's actions does not mean we are jumping on a bandwagon, it just means we disagree with your opinion of him.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:01 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Are you comparing our posts to hate? I didn't realize that acknowledging that he has issues and not viewing him as the best thing to happen to Switched at Birth counts as hate. I don't hold Emmett to a higher standard than any other character on this show, and I've certainly never seen him as this mythic "perfect romantic lead prince charming".
I doubt that either of you care enough about the character of Emmett to qualify as hate. My guess would be that you either feel a dislike for him or disinterest. But that's just a guess.

Yes. Like real, live people, all of the characters on Switched at Birth have issues. Emmett included. That’s a truism.

So you have singled out Emmett as having "anger issues" and not included any other characters for that particular issue.

That's ironic to me, considering I see Emmett as having the fewest anger issues of any male teenage character on the show and fewer anger issues than most of the female teenage characters, too. (Only Mary Beth and Hilary appear to have fewer anger issues than Emmett.)

Does Emmett experience anger? Yes.

But why single Emmett out and refuse to compare him to any of the other characters?

That’s like reading a book about a bunch of short characters, and then choosing the tallest character in the book to criticize for his shortness. That doesn’t make sense to me. There is no reason why you can’t do it, but it doesn’t make sense to me. That’s why I asked.

I DO view Emmett as the best thing to happen to Switched at Birth.

Whether you see Emmett as romantic lead or not, he has been put in that role by the writers. I theorized that he may be held to a higher standard by viewers, because of that role.

If that is not the reason people, such as yourself, are singling Emmett out for discussion, then please help me understand why they are.

Quote:
I don't see why we have to compare Emmett to anyone on the show in order for his actions to be judged as immature. There is no scale that measures his maturity against Bay's or Daphne's or Travis', why can't we discuss Emmett without bringing others into it? I stand by what I said, YES Emmett does have serious anger issues, ones that have been present since season 1 and I feel like he has not grown at all (in regards to that at least) through the seasons.

We can discuss Emmett without bringing others into it, but I am still left wondering why you specifically singled out his character.

If I met Emmett, in real life, I would not identify him as a person with serious anger issues.

Does he experience the emotion of anger at times? Yes.

Is he someone I would identify as having "anger issues"? No. Absolutely not. I don't see that.

Quote:
I understand that we all have character biases, but just because there are people who are not fans of some of Emmett's actions does not mean we are jumping on a bandwagon, it just means we disagree with your opinion of him.
Okay. I can appreciate that you are simply expressing your dislike for the character and not jumping on any bandwagon that’s currently gaining steam.

If I understand you correctly, then, you are making a rebuttal to my argument that Emmett has been more mature during this second relationship with Bay, than he was during his first.

Am I correct in assessing that you believe Emmett continues to be stunted by his anger, in this second relationship with Bay?

If so, I disagree.

In Emmett’s first relationship with Bay, he insisted on total independence. Emmett did not want Bay’s help with the bully at East West Fest. Emmett did not want Bay’s help ordering green or red taco sauce.

In Emmett’s second relationship with Bay, he allowed himself to be interdependent with Bay. Emmett accepted Bay’s help dealing with Matthew’s bullying. Emmett listened to Bay’s advice about not turning in Matthew for his crime. Emmett asked Bay to “be his ears” at the Star Party. He showed growth.

In Emmett’s first relationship with Bay, he didn’t want her help coping with the problems during his parents’ divorce.

In Emmett’s second relationship with Bay, he asked for her input. Emmett asked Bay what he should say to his dad, and he followed her advice, even thanking her for it, by saying, “Seeing you and being with you is the best part of every day.” He showed growth.

In Emmett’s first relationship with Bay, he didn’t want her emailing Ty, and he even asked to see her emails.

In Emmett’s second relationship with Bay, he accepted her decision to go to dinner with Tank, and although he asked her how it went the next day, he held no grudge, nor did he pry. He showed growth.

So I do not understand why you say Emmett continues to be stunted by his anger. To me, Emmett has moved beyond his anger. Even dealing with the BIG things of this season, he handled them well.

Bay made a unilateral decision that affected their future greatly, when she took the fall for Daphne, and Emmett accepted it. He was not happy with the decision, and occasionally, he voiced his frustration over the decision, but ultimately, he handled it well.

Bay partied with Tank all evening in Emmett’s mother’s dormitory. When Bay told Emmett that she did more than kiss Tank, Emmett did behave immaturely, pushing his laptop onto the floor, shutting out any more conversation with Bay. But Bay did the same thing when Emmett told her that he cheated on her.

No one is still holding that against Bay and accusing her of anger issues.

Emmett’s friends must have told him about Bay’s evening with Tank, perhaps they even shared pictures from that evening. Emmett must have seen the same college newspaper article (and the comments to it) on the Internet, as Bay did. And yet, Emmett still managed to remain calm about it. He accepts it. Emmett's only reaction was to ask Bay for time and space to process everything that had happened between them.

Bay’s choice to take the fall for Daphne and to party with Tank may have taken a toll on Emmett’s feelings for Bay, but he accepts it all without anger. He is not holding a grudge. He shows growth.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:09 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Lizzy Weiss @LizzyWeissSAB · 3h 3 hours ago
We have one of our most compelling (and controversial stories) coming up. Really eager to hear your thoughts. #SwitchedatBirth this SUMMER.
Okay then.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:07 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)

Quote:
Lizzy Weiss @LizzyWeissSAB · 3h 3 hours ago
We have one of our most compelling (and controversial stories) coming up. Really eager to hear your thoughts. #SwitchedatBirth this SUMMER.
Okay then.
Abortion is controversial.

The story would evoke the most interest and attention, if it was Bay & Emmett's baby that was aborted. I could see the writers going there.

What are some other hard-hitting and controversial topics?

Could Tank commit suicide? That would be tragic. I'm not sure how much controversy it would engender, though. Most everyone would just be sad. An abortion story has the possibility of causing a lot of controversy.

The subject of race relations is always topical and can be controversial. What could the writers do for the characters with that?

Wikipedia has a page devoted to controversial issues. I just scanned their list and didn't see anything else that I feel these writers might tackle. To me, the three issues up above seem to be the most likely.

Are there more possibilities? What direction do you all believe the writers might go?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Emmett is receiving hate?
Old 03-26-2015, 07:59 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiexjeyton (View Post)
Emmett is receiving hate?
I love Emmett, more now than ever before, but yeah, he is receiving massive amounts of hate on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram.

Well, he's receiving hate here on Fan Forum too.

On Facebook, 5.2 thousand people commented on their hatred for him, under his picture, a few days after the mid-season finale.

2.6 thousand people liked this one comment alone, on that official Facebook post:

"No, I think Emmett turned into a giant douche."

1.1 thousand people liked this comment on the official Facebook page:

"Emmets a douche bag. He made the wrong choice. But bay made the right one by saying if he does that then its done forever"

There were 5200 other comments filled with just as much disgust for the character, Emmett. And that's just on one Facebook post. There are so many other Facebook posts, all filled with hatred for him, over the last two weeks. My few positive comments are the only ones I've seen. People are filled with anger, over Emmett's decision.

I've actually seen much, much angrier and more hateful comments than the two I posted. Those were kind, in comparison. Many people have wished his character would be killed off the show as quickly (and painfully) as possible. They want him to suffer.

The odd thing is that Facebook posts usually only receive a few dozen comments. To have 5.2 thousand comments is highly unusual. I've rarely seen over 600.

Last edited by ollibear; 03-26-2015 at 08:04 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread