Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
It's pretty much a given that he was wrong for the IP and caused CB's failure. I don't see the point and I don't think the writers will take the time to have him explicitly discuss it in detail.
I don't think it's a given at all, that's the problem. Chuck sold Blair for his hotel, manipulated her into doing it... and in the next episode, Blair takes half of the responsibility, and the next thing we know Chuck is giving her an ultimatum and acting like he's calling her bluff while he does it, like she can't really be serious that they're over. He did nothing to redeem himself. Nothing.

The IP hasn't been addressed in any way that makes anything about it a "given" to me. I have no idea what the writers think about it, if it will ever even be brought up again in a non-joking manner since it's only been referenced vaguely in serious moments.

And I do think it's seriously weird and jarring to not have the IP addressed in any way -- vague or otherwise -- in this new separation... except on Blair's end.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton01 (View Post)
Of course the reason they aren't together now has to do with the IP, that's the reason they broke up in the first place. If it weren't for that, none of the other stuff would've happened.

Blair does have a tendency to subjugate herself in relationships, and she's finally starting to recognize it. And while this has always been the case, it only turned into a huge problem because Chuck took advantage of it. And I see her concern about independence being related to that, and not just about "power".

I just don't think you can see their situation now as completely separate from what happened last year- they wouldn't even be in this situation now if that hadn't happened. It's all tied together.
I agree. If anything it stems right back to the pilot. I think Blair's insecurity has been a big motivation for her character and her realtionships, if she is happier with herself and figures out who she is and how she wants to be treated she can have the confidence and peace of mind to not let herself be put in that position again.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinalima (View Post)
Yeah, I dont think Chuck gets a free pass at all. The CJ thing wasnt only his fault and yet he is the only one being blamed for.
Exactly. They just need to move passed all of these issues and grow from there. Dwelling on it will just get old.

Quote:
Honestly, I'm all for Blair wanting to be powerful and Chuck giving her the space that she needs. I love this development with them as characters and a couple, but at a same time that dialouge feels a little bit like 'oh the reason why we broke up in S3 was because of my flaws and because I didn't grow. And now I want to grow into this power woman'. That's just me though.
To me it just reiterates the fact that Blair felt very vulnerable and weak last season. It may not have been because of Chuck. It may have been because of all of the crap they dealt with in S2 leading up to their reunion. If you think back, none of that was ever discussed and neither of them spoke about moving on. They just shoved all of those issues under the rug and went on being a happy couple. It was bound to break them at some point. You can't just shove issues aside & not work on yourselves and then be happy.

I just think that Blair saying that she wants to be a powerful, strong woman is just her saying that she thinks that this whole thing is a long time coming. They need to work on themselves before they can work as a couple. Blair needs to be the powerful woman that she's always wanted to be since S1...she needs to reach her goals before she can settle down again. That doesn't mean that she thinks the break up was her fault. That's just her telling him that she doesn't want to be weak again in herself like she was last year.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinalima (View Post)
Yeah, I dont think Chuck gets a free pass at all. The CJ thing wasnt only his fault and yet he is the only one being blamed for.
IA. There has been no "free pass" since the IP even happened....

Let Love In- IA, with pretty much every one of your posts.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchness (View Post)
I don't think it's a given at all, that's the problem. Chuck sold Blair for his hotel, manipulated her into doing it... and in the next episode, Blair takes half of the responsibility, and the next thing we know Chuck is giving her an ultimatum and acting like he's calling her bluff while he does it, like she can't really be serious that they're over. He did nothing to redeem himself. Nothing.

The IP hasn't been addressed in any way that makes anything about it a "given" to me. I have no idea what the writers think about it, if it will ever even be brought up again in a non-joking manner since it's only been referenced vaguely in serious moments.

And I do think it's seriously weird and jarring to not have the IP addressed in any way -- vague or otherwise -- in this new separation... except on Blair's end.
I'll amend my statement and say that I think who caused the IP, and why CB broke up in the first, is obvious and I don't need for it to be explicitly stated 10 or so episodes later.

Agree to disagree.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
ETA: And yeah, every time Jack's name comes up, Chuck looks like he just threw up in his mouth. I don't think that really counts as perspective though...
Yeah I'm pretty sure he went to the bathroom to puke then he probably had a good cry
Old 11-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchness (View Post)

But at the end of the day everyone has different limits to how far or how much is needed in terms of redemption thats its all most impossible for the writers satisfy everyone- especially people expecting Chuck to go to extremes for redemption or who see him as unredeemable because they simple dont like him as character- combine that with the fact that there are more then one or two characters that need storylines and the writers general MO of needing excitement and drama and shock factor and its really hard.

Some people want more, some less some are satisfied with what the writers give him. The best we can hope for is people reaching a happy medium
Old 11-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
For her to take him back again? I agree. The writing makes it sound like Blair is willing to take him back whenever she's become independent and strong. Which is really a disservice to her as a character IMO. It makes all the stuff he did in the past look like a non-issue for BLAIR.
I agree, that's what I'm saying. It's been turned on her to hold the reuniting in her hands because of her growing and issues. Blair's need to grow and be independent first. The reasons they broke up in the first place, which dominantly all had to do with Chuck and his issues are nowhere to be found in reuniting them.

They didn't break up for Blair to have a career. That wasn't CB's issues with why they failed as a couple. But that's what they're making the issue between them to be now. While ignoring all the elephants in the room on Chuck's side when it comes to why they're not together.
Quote:
It was nobodies fault, he said so himself. It was fate!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollock (View Post)
But at the end of the day everyone has different limits to how far or how much is needed in terms of redemption thats its all most impossible for the writers satisfy everyone- especially people expecting Chuck to go to extremes for redemption or who see him as unredeemable because they simple dont like him as character- combine that with the fact that there are more then one or two characters that need storylines and the writers general MO of needing excitement and drama and shock factor and its really hard.

Some people want more, some less some are satisfied with what the writers give him. The best we can hope for is people reaching a happy medium
Exactly. And honestly, I dont think the writers care that much about hardcore fans like us, they care more about casual viewers, and looking comments on twitter, tumblr, media reviews, I would say they are pretty much over the IP (or dont even remember it).
Old 11-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjjb (View Post)
I agree, that's what I'm saying. It's been turned on her to hold the reuniting in her hands because of her growing and issues. Blair's need to grow and be independent first. The reasons they broke up in the first place, which dominantly all had to do with Chuck and his issues are nowhere to be found in reuniting them.

They didn't break up for Blair to have a career. That wasn't CB's issues with why they failed as a couple. But that's what they're making the issue between them to be now. While ignoring all the elephants in the room on Chuck's side when it comes to why they're not together. It was nobodies fault, he said so himself. It was fate!
if serena hadn't cheated on nate, nate would have been at the suite and cj wouldn't have happened and all those other things controlled by destiny.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjjb (View Post)
: It was nobodies fault, he said so himself. It was fate!
Even if he thinks so, he still doesnt get a free pass. Dan, Eric, Rufus still blame him.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
• Why is Dan allowed to be smug and judgmental about Serena's affair with Colin when he had an affair with Rachel when he was barely eighteen? Oh, right - because "smug and judgmental" makes up at least eighty percent of Dan's personality. Plus 1 for character consistency. -HANNAH1721

Quote:
• Plus 20 for Rufus calling Dan "Daniel" in the exact condescending and judgey tone previously used by both Cece and Lily. He really is an UES housewife now. -STILETTO33
Old 11-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounia (View Post)

My favorite ones.
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ღLet Love In (View Post)
To me it just reiterates the fact that Blair felt very vulnerable and weak last season. It may not have been because of Chuck. It may have been because of all of the crap they dealt with in S2 leading up to their reunion. If you think back, none of that was ever discussed and neither of them spoke about moving on. They just shoved all of those issues under the rug and went on being a happy couple. It was bound to break them at some point. You can't just shove issues aside & not work on yourselves and then be happy.
I love this point because I think it's happened consistently with CB. It's like they have a tendency to let their love and visceral attraction overwhelm them and ignore all their underlying issues until those issues blow up in their faces later.

Quote:
I just think that Blair saying that she wants to be a powerful, strong woman is just her saying that she thinks that this whole thing is a long time coming. They need to work on themselves before they can work as a couple. Blair needs to be the powerful woman that she's always wanted to be since S1...she needs to reach her goals before she can settle down again. That doesn't mean that she thinks the break up was her fault. That's just her telling him that she doesn't want to be weak again in herself like she was last year.
I agree with this. My only problem is the implication that the only reason Blair won't be with him right now is her need for independence. That makes it sound like she has ZERO trust issues with Chuck. I think it's both unrealistic and a disservice to her as a character since he's done nothing to prove himself trustworthy again.
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Of course the reason they aren't together now has to do with the IP, that's the reason they broke up in the first place... I just don't think you can see their situation now as completely separate from what happened last year- they wouldn't even be in this situation now if that hadn't happened. It's all tied together.
I don't see it as completely separate at all, what I see is the show acting like the IP is off the table now for reasons that are unclear. (And Blair acting like Chenny was the real problem.) Did Chuck getting shot negate it like Serena's car accident negated what happened with Tripp? Did Blair forgive Chuck for the IP, so that's over now? Did she absolve him during the train scene? Who the hell knows, I sure don't. I've yet to see it be addressed, and I expected it to be addressed in their separation, but from what tversky is telling us, it's not being addressed by Chuck or Blair, except in some people's interpretation of Blair's need to be a powerful woman because Chuck makes her feel weak before they can be together again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ღLet Love In (View Post)
Chuck's screw ups with Jenny and all of that crap has been addressed many times this season. He has had to deal with a lot of people blaming him for all of that rather than including Jenny in the "they slept together" scenario. They've made him out to be the bad guy.
Maybe Chuck received more than his fair share of the blame from the van der Humphrey men for what happened with Jenny, but what sleeping with Jenny meant for him and Blair? He got a free pass for that. The show literally wrote it off as fate. It wasn't fate, it was Chuck's characterization. Getting with that random at Dorota's wedding minutes after Blair dumped him is no different from what happened with Jenny. It's not fate that this is who Chuck is. It's not fate he slept with someone else on the same day, arguably within the hour, of when he planned to propose to Blair. Instead of realizing this and changing his behavior, he gets a free pass of "fate" and no growth. I think Chuck getting shot was his free pass for the IP, the more I think about it.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread