Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuinelorelai (View Post)
so, i'm watching SGTDM & I forgot just how much I love S5!

anyone know where I could find Sam Phillips "If I Could Write"?
You could possibly find it in your PM box when I get home from work, in approx. 2 hrs.

ETA: Speaking of music... I wouldn't mind getting my hand on all the newer "lala" sam phillips music they had last night.

Last edited by Emma_Jane; 05-17-2007 at 01:00 AM
Old 05-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Jane (View Post)
You could possibly find it in your PM box when I get home from work, in approx. 2 hrs.
you rock!! I could burst into a "Did you ever know that you're my hero"

I can never find Sam Phillips cds and I must be the only person I know who doesn't purchase songs from iTunes....stupid friends won't buy me "GG music" off it either, lol

now I'm watching AM,NM......gah, S5 was so well done
Old 05-17-2007, 01:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Was this posted?

What's Alan Watching?: Gilmore Girls: So long, farewell, amen

Quote:
Gilmore Girls: So long, farewell, amen
Sigh... It's all over. Spoilers for the "Gilmore Girls" series finale coming right up...

David Rosenthal knew. He obviously knew this would be the end. In form, if not always in style (because nobody could write Amy Sherman-Palladino dialogue as well as Amy could), this is exactly what a "Gilmore Girls" series finale should have looked like. Rory meets her idol and gets a lavish send-off from the town, Luke and Lorelai get back together (but not for such an extended period that we have to deal with whatever the hell has been going on with Lauren Graham and Scott Patterson all these years), Lorelai makes peace with her father and her mother, Lorelai sends Rory off into true adulthood, and we close with a mirror of the pilot, with Lorelai and Rory having coffee and an excessive breakfast at Luke's. Short of Amy coming back to write those legendary final two words (any guesses? "Shut up," maybe?), I don't know how much more we could have wanted.

In a lot of ways, it reminded me of "The West Wing" finale, another show where the chief creative voice had left the building and the product had suffered, and yet the replacement found a way to do right by the fans in the end. In particular, Richard's "It takes a remarkable person to inspire all of this" speech to Lorelai may have gotten me more misty-eyed than anything I've seen on television since Jed Bartlet said goodbye to Charlie. Even when "Gilmore Girls" had its problems -- and the last few seasons have given us many, many problems -- it was always worth watching for the interplay between Lauren Graham, Edward Herrmann and Kelly Bishop, and all three were in top form at the end. (As touching in its own way, if not as waterworks-inducing, was Lorelai realizing that her mother just wanted an excuse to keep having the Friday night dinners, and finding a way to agree without embarrassing Emily by calling her on it.)

Luke and Lorelai's reconciliation was very spare and nicely-done, with Luke's "I just like to see you happy" all the words that were needed. Interesting choice, though, to immediately pan up to show the party instead of the lingering kiss; were they giving the couple their privacy, or not forcing Lauren and Scott to smooch at length? (See? This is why I'm glad the show's not continuing, because I don't want to be thinking this much about off-screen rumors and whatnot.)

The hour wasn't perfect, of course, though again some of that is because of things that happened a long time ago. The Lane/Rory scene, for instance, would have had far more impact if Lane had actually been written as Rory's best friend the last three or four seasons, instead of the townie pal she left behind for Yale. (Still, it was nice to take a trip down Lane's love memory lane, including a Dave Rygalski shout-out.) And outside of Michel and Rory mocking Lorelai's behavior around celebrity guests, most of the humor didn't really work. A shame for such a historically funny show to go out so relatively flat.

Still, given everything we and the show have been though, Amy's absence and the fact that there had to be some wiggle room left open for one last season (which probably would have featured the return of Logan), this was about as good a finale as I could have hoped for. I'm bummed that Lauren Graham will likely never again have a part this good to show how amazing she is, but it's time. Bye, Stars Hollow. It's been fun.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

over on TWoP Nadine posted new rating numbers for the final.

Quote:
"Gilmore Girls (series finale) - 4.857 million viewers - 3.1/5 HH - 2.3/6 A18-49 - 2.9/9 A18-34"
Which makes it the 2nd highest numbers of the season, right behind ep 9.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Master Fan

Will these stupid rumours never stop ??

Danke caf, for the last thread.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Passionate Fan

Thanks for the new thread.
Thank you Nicolalala for the info about the cut scene. Hope it will appear on the S7 dvd, which I definately will be getting. My GG ended with 7.22 Thank you also for all the spoilers you've provided the past years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranoh
I never got the impression that Luke's past gestures meant nothing to Lorelai. But most of them were either before the April fiasco or they were "friendly" gestures. I NEVER got the impression that Lorelai needed a huge gesture. I think she just wanted a small sign that Luke still loved her the way she loved him.
ITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaab
Oh did anyone, well I certainly did, find it telling that Lorelai told Christopher she was not really surprised when Christopher did not show up at the hospital, but when Sookie said: "He [Luke] must have stayed up all night to do this, can you believe that?" Lorelai answered: "Yeah ..." She has always known. Just couldn't believe he would still love her and well show her that ...
Oh. Haven't thought of that (yet). Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG
I watched the kiss again and caught something I must have missed/not thought enough about the first time around. LL basically move to kiss at the same time. I love that. The emotion in that scene was so raw and powerful.
I was thinking the same thing. No 'will you just stand still' or anything - just the two of them really wanting to kiss ITA with the rest of your post also.

So I watched the episode a few more times yesterday and the last 5 mins a couple of times more. Then I continued with watching the first 2½ episodes.
A weird feeling watching the first GG episode, but it actually made me love the finale even more. Oh and wow how I love 1.02. Wonderful episode. I haven't watched old episodes in full for a long time and I really enjoyed it.

New thoughts on 'Bon Voyage'.
Gotta love that the girls were planning a rollercoaster ride after us having our share of rollercoaster rides.
If it had been a season finale I wouldn't have wanted the diner scene in the end. That scene is too full circle IMO.
Another full circle moment. The FND talk. The first episode on how the FNDs started and the last on that they will continue. Loved that. To me it the spa/tennis court talk wasn't as much a S8 anvil as Emily wanting to make sure Lorelai would still come buy. Emily is afraid to loose the connection. Like when Chris paid for Yale.

Aahhh.

ETA. Thank you for bringing over the article. Agree with most of it.

ETA: Today is upfronts day right. Is it wrong (=yes) to still have a glimmer of hope. Especially with my own personal feelings about the finale.

"You do kind of feel like they are equally matched and they both kind of have a very similar heart and similar passions and that they are destined to be together again." ~Jayma Mays
WillEmma
Old 05-17-2007, 01:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think the review was joking about the Scott/Lauren stuff.

As for the out takes/changes for the season, they'll need a whole DVD just for all of them.

I'm thinking a dark colour for the DVD cover.

OT - Mimi was just in Luke's
Old 05-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Jane (View Post)

ETA: Speaking of music... I wouldn't mind getting my hand on all the newer "lala" sam phillips music they had last night.
Was it really newer music. I couldn't tell.
With regards to GG, Sam Phillips still only has the comments she made post 6.22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer
Is it fare that 3.01 is no TV here in a few minutes
No, it's not fair at all. That dream was another wonderful promise and it just proves IMO, how LL could never become boring, if cohabitating, married, pregnant or in any other committed situation, as TPTB always feared so much, believing it would end the show.

Too bad, that even when the show really did end, we still didn't get what TPTB, and basically all narrow minded, old fashioned so called TV masters still believe should only happen in the end. For this couple and what was expected, it was a marriage, a life together.

I agree with all despising the notion of a LL wedding ending the show. When we still had time, I didn't want that either. It was supposed to happen long ago, as a grand mid season, series landmark, like WBB was. But because their journeys were twisted out of shape and there was no time left, then in order to give closure, show that both LL reached the goal it took them seven years to get to, then a 7.22 last minute wedding/cohabitation was imperative, IMO.

The silent, unspoken committement we saw for them now, is nothing more than what we had in 4.22 and the beginning of season five - back to meaningful looks and a kiss. Did we not already know Luke only wants her happy, did we not already know Lorelai knows him better than anyone else and loves to tease him and flirt with him?

Truth is, that what brought the ratings up and then down was how the LL relationship was managed (or mismanaged). Ratings already started plunging last season, when LL were in trouble and were written OOC.

LL were a HUGE part of the SLs throughout the whole series, and out of the 42 minutes of the finale they (and us fans) deserved more than the three or so minutes they got together, not to mention again, all the lost time and opportunities with them during this last season.

Cappie, I also still harbor a glimmer of hope, at least to get a final shout out to GG in those upfronts - something, perhaps about a wrong decision comment thrown out at DO or make her comment on fan reaction and the not so proper send off. I want to hear something ....

Thanks for the ratings info.
What happened in 7.09 that it got such high ratings?

Sign Petition For More Gilmore Girls
Old 05-17-2007, 02:44 AM
Loyal Fan

part of the slow realization process that GG has ended....I realized I won't wake up to a DC, new episode promo, etc.....wierd. i think this one will take a while to process

i'm off to bed now.....going to fall asleep watching But I'm a Gilmore As I've been watching S1 and S5 tonight, it's been nice to remember just how amazing this show is when things fall into place

night....thanks in advance Emma_Jane
Old 05-17-2007, 02:56 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyCerts (View Post)
Will these stupid rumours never stop ??

Danke caf, for the last thread.
Apparently not

Thanks for the thread Caf
Old 05-17-2007, 03:41 AM
Passionate Fan

Ok I was all emotional and saying goodbye yesterday.
I thought we were going to close the GG spoiler thread and I was ready to let go.

And here it is: a brand new spoiler thread.
Not that I mean to kick anyone out of here , I'm just curious as to when will we close this thread and move to the GG regular thread.
I wanna be ready for it. I don't wanna think there's gonna be another thread when it's not.

ETA: oh and the LG/SP rumors are annoying beyond belief. I rewatched the whole 5th season and, boys, there were tonnes of chemistry and kisses and love back then.
Only reason we didn't have plenty of "can't keep my eyes, hands and other significant pieces of anatomy off of you" scenes btw Luke and Lorelai was all Amy's choice.

Wilson: No, you're not afraid of authority, you're afraid she actually is right for you. You're afraid to take a chance, because it's too big a chance. If it doesn't work with her, then maybe there's no one out there.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

And no waking at 4am to check for spoilers or to watch next weeks ep.

OT - another thing we'll miss L&L babysitting Doula.

BTW - I'm working on the final TS, which is taking me away form watching VM, I haven't even watched this week Heroes yet! Yikes I have some 20 hours of shows banked up I'm still to watch.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:47 AM
Extreme Fan

I sort of agree with the rumor...it was a touchy finale but i perticually good one. I sort of thing the show needed to end cause it has pretty much run it course and died when amy left. I really am going to miss it.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:53 AM
Total Fan

Thanks for the thread and the article.

Quote:
Gilmore Girls: So long, farewell, amen

And outside of Michel and Rory mocking Lorelai's behavior around celebrity guests, most of the humor didn't really work. A shame for such a historically funny show to go out so relatively flat.
What?! I laughed a lot, it wasn't flat IMO.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:59 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG - Life's Good (View Post)

What?! I laughed a lot, it wasn't flat IMO.
Huh? Went back to read the article and must have missed that part the first time around. Too tired today I guess.
I loved the humor in it. I was laughing as much as crying in the scene where Lorelai and Rory walks through town center and in the back all the townies are carrying stuff for the party and then sees L/R and heads back. Hilarious

"You do kind of feel like they are equally matched and they both kind of have a very similar heart and similar passions and that they are destined to be together again." ~Jayma Mays
WillEmma
Closed Thread   Post New Thread